• 116 results
#1 Edited by SnakeVSGiantBomb (288 posts) -

So as of now 2 of our regions are in occupation, by russian military,hired guns,and some percent by local people. As I said a few months ago, he wouldn't stop. There is information about 200 kids from Slaviansk are being transferred to Crimea or Russia(information is unchecked). I don't want to start fire, but it seems like something horrible might happen.Also special forces of trained military taken every government building in Donetsk and Lugansk.If anyone have questions, or have anything to say I will gladly respond.

So I come again asking for help, please spread the word

#2 Edited by CorruptedEvil (1738 posts) -

That really sucks but us duders aren't the people you should be contacting. Send emails to newspapers and other sources of info about real issues instead of videogames.

#3 Edited by Flacracker (1597 posts) -

@drewbert Has a very particular set of skills that he as acquired over a long career. He has run missions in North Korea before. Just send a package with a few "snacks" to the Giant Bomb offices. Put the details of your assignment in a letter.

#4 Posted by TheAcidSkull (233 posts) -

That really sucks but us duders aren't the people you should be contacting. Send emails to newspapers and other sources of info about real issues instead of videogames.

Yeah, pretty much this, not much we can do.

#5 Posted by SnakeVSGiantBomb (288 posts) -

@corruptedevil: Are you socially/internet connected person? If answer is yes, than you are exactly who can help us. Tweet, talk, create buzz. There is enough people who write to newspapers,and other sources, but guess what people mostly don't read newspapers anymore.

#6 Posted by SnakeVSGiantBomb (288 posts) -

@flacracker: I probably will send them something ukrainian,but it will be later after e3. And also I don't really want to involve them into international politics, and such.

#7 Posted by UncleBenny (422 posts) -

Wait, wait, I'm sorry, are you saying that Putin is now systemically taking over Ukrain region by region under his "people is revolting" plan?

I am honestly not aware that this is happening.

#8 Posted by tourgen (4427 posts) -

Man that's a rough part of the world to try and make a life in. Living in the USA I have no real concept of that kind of border dispute and the long history that goes along with it.

#9 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5339 posts) -

Even if Putin is behind everything that's happening in Eastern Ukraine (unlikely) it's not going to be particularly effective in terms of taking over the territory. What mattered ultimately was Crimea now that that's happened there's precedent for any other hostile takeover of foreign territory. Putin could just invade with 40,000 men or so and take fairly light casualties; it is abundantly clear that the West wouldn't do anything about it. I don't really get the impetus for doing what's going on right now so it does seem more or less unscripted; sounds more like an internal conflict with various constituents from either side disrupting things along the way.

#10 Edited by SnakeVSGiantBomb (288 posts) -

@fredchuckdave: Ok first things first, our previous president had most support on his election in that regions, so when he fled, people have seen that he cheated them,also I agree that initially this terrorists had support of local folk, now not so much.

Second we are continuing our ATO( anti-terrorist operation) but it's taking too damn long,due to not enough resources(half of our troops don't even have a bulletproof vests).

Also what do you mean "unlikely" ,if you mean he doesn't give every order than yes, but if you think he has nothing to do with it, well...

#11 Edited by SnakeVSGiantBomb (288 posts) -

@tourgen: It's not a dispute, it's our territory, and yeah there are a lot of history.But in short version Russia became a country that produce and support terrorism, and they trying to make a Crimea scenario.

#12 Posted by RonGalaxy (2872 posts) -

I heard recently that a Ukraine helicopter was shot down by pro Russian forces and that 14 people died, including a general. That's a pretty big deal and a lot of people are reporting about it today. Though I haven't heard anything about the kids you mentioned, which sounds really distressing. When you say moved, do you mean they are being moved by Russian forces away from their homes/parents? I can't think of any non-sinister reason for that to happen.

#13 Posted by zymase (158 posts) -

There are a lot of things going on there that aren't being reported or are being misreported due to various media biases. Putin seems to be acting with impunity since no country is willing to take the risks of backing Ukraine openly. It's a complicated and awful situation from a human rights perspective, given Putin's historical record.

#14 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5339 posts) -

@snakevsgiantbomb: Putin has something to do with it but so does the CIA and MI6 and so on, it doesn't look like Putin's role so far is anything more than clandestine. Could change but it would be pretty apparent when it changed. It doesn't sound like Ukraine would be stable even if there was no outside intervention of any kind; a la Syria, Libya, and Myanmar. Russian Black Ops teams wouldn't die by the dozens.

#15 Edited by SnakeVSGiantBomb (288 posts) -

@narujoe93: Yes helicopter was shot today,13 people dead, 1 in a hospital in a critical condition. So as story unfolds this russian troops and terrorists asked parents(and apparently they give permission to take them)to give their kids to them to move them in a summer camp which located in Crimea.Later they said kids might be moved to russian territory,because of the military conflict in this region, as of now nobody knows where this kids are, and what they are planning or not planning to do with them,again it's unchecked as of now, but it wouldn't,surprise me that Putin would use such tactic.

#16 Posted by SnakeVSGiantBomb (288 posts) -

@fredchuckdave: what are you talking about, do you really think that his role in this a small one, you sir apparently never been in Russia or Ukraine.And also of course it wouldn't be stable we just had a revolution mind you,our corrupted president fled to Russia, along with a lot of government shcmucks,and you are saying clandestine. Also boots that took Crimea were russian, boots who are shooting our people right now are russian, so I don't know about CIA or MI6, maybe they are involved somehow, but I don't see James Bond or Bourne killing people in eastern region of my country.

#17 Posted by Itwongo (1126 posts) -

Shit, that's fucked. The news haven't been reporting this?

Stay safe

#18 Edited by Irishranger (245 posts) -

Last I heard, the rest of the world wanted America to stop being the world's police...so there's that.

#19 Posted by MB (11980 posts) -

Last I heard, the rest of the world wanted America to stop being the world's police...so there's that.

That's only until things get really bad, then the world will be complaining that we have all this political and military might and didn't act soon enough.

#20 Edited by alternate (2682 posts) -

The news is already out mate but I am sorry to say that no other country wants to get in a land war with Russia on your behalf. Hell the EU don't even want to make threats if it risks gas price rises.

#21 Posted by Irishranger (245 posts) -
@mb said:

@irishranger said:

That's only until things get really bad, then the world will be complaining that we have all this political and military might and didn't act soon enough.

Funny how that's always the way, eh?

#22 Posted by SnakeVSGiantBomb (288 posts) -

@mb: @irishranger: I am not asking for a military intervention, just some real help, because sanctions and talks do not do much for Putin.Also as time goes by I am more inclined for our country to join NATO,even if that means huge waves of aggression from Russia.

#23 Edited by SnakeVSGiantBomb (288 posts) -

You know why we asking USA so much, because they promised our safety when we gave up our nuclear weapons to America, you know why we are asking EU to help us, because most of those gas stuff comes through our country,you know why ask for help because we earned it by having this neighbor for 1000 years.

#24 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5339 posts) -

@itwongo: It's like 8 stories down on CNN's World News page; it's definitely an under-reported story; maybe because of gas prices? Pretty odd. I mean, Americans aren't interested in this at all even though it might very well shape the future of the world (or already did); anything that doesn't impact the next 5 minutes of your life is trivial I suppose.

#25 Edited by Irishranger (245 posts) -

@fredchuckdave: I'm an American and I'm very interested in it. I've been interested in it because I knew it was going to eventually be a flashpoint since I watched the break up of the Soviet Union in the eighties.

I just don't know what I, Joe Blow, sitting in the midwest, can do when my president is more worried about forcing me, a private citizen, to purchase health insurance and remaking the country in his own image than anything else. I could write my congressman, but I'm sure he won't do anything that is not allowed by the money men above him.

It's not a matter of Americans not caring, it's a matter of Americans living in a country that doesn't belong to them anymore, regardless of which worthless political party is in power.

#26 Posted by insane_shadowblade85 (1389 posts) -

@drewbert Has a very particular set of skills that he as acquired over a long career. He has run missions in North Korea before. Just send a package with a few "snacks" to the Giant Bomb offices. Put the details of your assignment in a letter.

You're going to send an enemy sleeper agent over there? Are you nuts man?!

#27 Edited by CatsAkimbo (601 posts) -

When I was over in Europe a couple weeks ago, was watching the only 3 English-speaking channels that were in the hotel -- all news channels. One was about Ukraine and how it's not getting much coverage in America. Second was about the same thing, but they went so far as to say USA was behind the "CNN Curtain!" and much like the Iron Curtain, the USA was fed misinformation and had no idea what was really going on.

Then the third was CNN proper, and it was a long story talking to many experts about how Twitter's stock price went down a little bit that day.

#28 Edited by Clonedzero (4091 posts) -

@fredchuckdave: I'm an American and I'm very interested in it. I've been interested in it because I knew it was going to eventually be a flashpoint since I watched the break up of the Soviet Union in the eighties.

I just don't know what I, Joe Blow, sitting in the midwest, can do when my president is more worried about forcing me, a private citizen, to purchase health insurance and remaking the country in his own image than anything else. I could write my congressman, but I'm sure he won't do anything that is not allowed by the money men above him.

It's not a matter of Americans not caring, it's a matter of Americans living in a country that doesn't belong to them anymore, regardless of which worthless political party is in power.

Ok crazy person.....

#29 Posted by Giantstalker (1532 posts) -

Obama's West Point address made it pretty clear that, once Afghanistan "wraps up" the US military (and by extension my country also, Canada) won't be going anywhere or doing anything significant for the rest of his time in office. Actually, Canada is so anti-military that harassment in the forces is routinely getting more coverage than our crippling lack of funds and the recent loss of a warship, the HMCS Protecteur.

Putin's played us - the west - for fools; the worst part being we're playing right into it. This is all frustrating as a serving member in the army; this said I can't imagine how bad it is as a Ukrainian citizen right now.

#30 Posted by SnakeVSGiantBomb (288 posts) -

Ok this just in: 100% of digital protocols confirm that we have elected new president(54,4% of votes). Inauguration of Petr Poroshenko will be held on 7 of June on Maidain of Independance in Kiev.

Also he is meeting president Obama in Varshav on 3 of June.

#31 Posted by SnakeVSGiantBomb (288 posts) -

@giantstalker: Yeah it seems so, but again we are not asking for military intervention, just real help. It's not super bad being in Ukraine(apart of course Crimea and east regions), and if anything in this last half a year all of this made me apriciate and love my country so much more than ever before.Not only west he played whole planet,and somehow everybody let him do that.

#32 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5339 posts) -
#33 Edited by SnakeVSGiantBomb (288 posts) -

http://24tv.ua/home/showSingleNews.do?foto_dnya_detey_evakuiruyut_iz_slavyanska&objectId=448697&lang=ru

Here is photo of this kids "allegedly" being transferred to summer camp.

Got to go, will be here tomorrow.

#34 Posted by Bocam (3671 posts) -

Why are you asking for help on a video game website?

#35 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5339 posts) -

@bocam: There is little or no awareness about this virtually anywhere in America so a site like this is as good as any; also Patrick wrote an article about it.

#36 Posted by Amikron (252 posts) -

@bocam: There is little or no awareness about this virtually anywhere in America so a site like this is as good as any; also Patrick wrote an article about it.

Yeah, this gentleman who started the topic is actually the guy Patrick interviewed.

#37 Posted by Lunnington (152 posts) -

All I can do is wish you the best of luck, duder. I have no idea how to help. I've already contacted my representatives on the issue of Ukraine but that's all I can really do.

Our President says he's firmly against an occupation by Russia but I honestly don't think Putin has to listen to the US right now. I hope Europe puts more economic pressure on Putin than they already are, and that the US sanctions start to actually become severe. I wish I could help but it's just not really in anyone's power.

#38 Edited by TruthTellah (8535 posts) -

It's terrible to see things continue to get worse in Ukraine, @snakevsgiantbomb. I always think of your posts when I read more news about the situation, and it's crazy how successful Putin's long-term plan appears to be going. As many of us thought when first discussing the war here, the East would likely be lost along with Crimea, and it's shaping up to be exactly that.

How are you doing? Is your family keeping safe? You had mentioned possibly volunteering to defend from the Russian invasion. Has that changed thanks to Russia's shift to a more covert strategy of making it look more like a civil war than an invasion?

I hope things don't escalate further, but I hoped that before, as well. And here we are.

#39 Posted by Irishranger (245 posts) -

@irishranger said:

Ok crazy person.....

I remember you from comments you've made on posts of mine in the past. You really don't seem to like it when people say things you don't agree with, so you make curt, silly comments like this. Good luck in life.

#40 Edited by MonetaryDread (1992 posts) -

I hate to say it, but Ukraine is fucked. There is nothing that other countries can do except to send over our military... and we cannot do that without starting a World War. If America sent troops to Ukraine, that would be as bold a statement as if Russia sent troops into Canada. Its a no-win situation, and is the Ukraine really worth starting a world war over?

Edit: For those not in the know. NATO signed a pact with Crimea, I believe, that they would fight anyone who used Military aggression against the country, as long as Crimea got rid of its nukes. Ukraine has also signed pacts with the EU for similar reasons. As of now, the militants are just that, militants that are not officially affiliated with another country (even though we know who really sent them). So with no SOLID evidence, any attack on Putin would mean war, and because of treaties, if war broke out in these contested regions, everyone has to get involved.

Or we just wait and see if Putin either fucks up, or Ukraine rejoins the USSR... I mean Russia.

#42 Edited by Mcfart (1549 posts) -

I think you should move.

There's better countries then Ukarine even before Russia started annexing.

#43 Edited by SnakeVSGiantBomb (288 posts) -

@monetarydread:You are misinformed, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budapest_Memorandum_on_Security_Assurances.(in short Ukraine sighned it in 1994, and Crimea was a part of Ukraine then)

@truthtellah: Hi, me and my family are ok. Right now my help is not needed(not that I really know how to fight), but if there gonna be call of duty, I will go. Yes you are right it's not a civil war,at least not yet. As far as I understand it's a hybrid war.

#44 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4929 posts) -

On it, boss!

#45 Posted by TruthTellah (8535 posts) -

@mcfart said:

I think you should move.

There's better countries then Ukarine even before Russia started annexing.

It's his home. It's where his family is. It makes sense for him to want to protect that no matter how dire the situation may be.

#46 Edited by dudeglove (7687 posts) -

I don't see how "stopping Putin" will stop anything. Even if the unthinkable happened e.g. US and Russia escalated and nuked everything into oblivion leaving only Ukraine, Ukraine is now in a state of civil war. Both "sides" of the Ukrainian conflict just got their martyrs i.e. the Maidan shootings in February, and then the Odessa fire in May (the former drew sneering while the latter event was met by idiotic bloodthirsty gloating by Ukrainian nationalists that even journos usually critical of Russia found nauseating). Doesn't help that the new interim body or "government" of Ukraine (or whatever they call themselves) is now labeling regular citizens in the East of the country, who among other things are objecting to the fact that their supposed government is steamrolling through their cities and disrupting their lives that were shitty enough even before the conflict started, as "terrorists". Are they "Putin" too? If you sign up, you aren't gonna be fighting any supposed Russian aggressors, you'll be deployed against the same people you probably wanted to fight for.

As to what happens next? Look at what happened to Ireland after the Easter Rising. It ain't pretty.

#47 Edited by SnakeVSGiantBomb (288 posts) -

@mcfart: Well for me there is no better countries than Ukraine. There are a lot of places I want to visit, or even to live for some time, and yeah some countries have better social insurance, better jobs, less corrupted goverment, but when all of this is settled, I invite you to visit us, and you will pobably understand why I love my country so much.

#48 Posted by SnakeVSGiantBomb (288 posts) -

@dudeglove: What are talkin about, are you mad, or are watching russian news channels. There is no civil war, yet. Yes there are people that supported terrorists from russia(hense many organizations in Donetsk and Lugansk), and some that are supporting them now(less so than before). ATO(anti-terrorist operation) doesn't kill regular folk in those regions.And of course there casualities, of course it should have ended by now, but what can you do with some people declaring republiqs left and right, using women and children as their shield and being dicks. But when hired people from Chechnia and other parts of Russia shooting artillery through houses full of people, trying to provoke our military well...

And about those "labeled" people as you say, let's imagine if some folks in America will decide to sepparate one of the states from USA, doing this imaginary scenario with support from Canada, and doing it by metods like I descibed before what would you call them?

Also as our f-up goverment declared everyone of our citizens who didn't commit heavy crimes during this period will not be charged, or prosecuted.

#49 Posted by dudeglove (7687 posts) -

There is no civil war, yet.

Your newly-installed "chocolate king" president Poroshenko just blew the crap out of Donetsk airport earlier this week. I shudder to think what it takes for you to not see this as anything other than civil war.

#50 Posted by l4wd0g (1908 posts) -

@snakevsgiantbomb: Be safe duder.

I have bad news for all of my Ukrainian friends, what Putin said the other day about Ukrainians attacking Russian Separatists, it was the same reason he used to invade Georgia while soft annex South Ossetia. It's fucking nuts.

Alexei Miller, Chief Executive of Gazprom said the new deal was "the biggest contract in the entire history of the USSR and Gazprom - over 1 trillion cubic metres of gas will be supplied during a whole contractual period." It's the term USSR that bothers me because it really isn't necessary for that sentence. It's horrifying.