• 97 results
Agent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Agent47

There was that mayor earthquake in Haiti, and now Japan has gotten a tsunami, earthquake, and the nuclear reactors going off around the island.I was just watching some raw footage of it all, and now I am pretty depressed.Why all the sudden strikes of large scale disasters?(pardon my grammer I am rushing and spellcheck isn't on the spanish version of Firefox) These things are common but lately they have getting more mayor.
As I breeze through topics on GB's site it got me thinking of all the little things.How Japan is suffering so much yet I see all this talk about Nintendo and What PSP game should I get for $5?Which is not bad cause I don't want to feel like shit like I am now.I see all this suffering and got me wondering will I join them soon?

I live and south Florida and most of you guys probably don't care or aren't worried cause you live in Eurpoe and are surrounded by other countries and borders.I live next to a body of ocean!? So what is the possibility that it could happen to Florida?Pretty high I say, but if anybody knows anything about a possible tsunami in Florida please tell me.I fear not for myself but for my family's sake.I just want to tell them that we should move to South America and live in peace.(mostly)I was joking thinking about rushing to my roof with my games and dog intact, thinking I much rather die then suffer.

Maybe I am over reacting...but that's what everyone says until it happens.Like when they said someone should add more security measures to the Twin towers incase of a terrorist attack, if only people listened.
Sorry for strechting this out.I just I like coming to GB to watch gameplay vids, relax from school, think about games that relive me of worries, laugh at the GB's crew's antics...but as I watch all this it brings the harsh realities of life, and escepcially that of ours being so insignificant.That from the stars we appear as mere dwarves to the rest of the ever lasting...ever expanding galaxy.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By BraveToaster

I grew up in Florida, and  this never worried me. You really can't compare Florida to Japan, seeing how one is an Island and has had several earthquakes in the past.

rt44tbtb4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By rt44tbtb4

There are PSP games for $5??!

HisDudeness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By HisDudeness
@Agent47 said:
" I just I like coming to GB to watch gameplay vids, relax from school, think about games that relive me of worries, laugh at the GB's crew's antics...but as I watch all this it brings the harsh realities of life, and escepcially that of ours being so insignificant.That from the stars we appear as mere dwarves to the rest of the ever lasting...ever expanding galaxy. "
That's inspired. You should come to Buenos Aires, they say it's best city in the world for living in, if you talk about natural disasters n' shit.
dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By dtat

I live in California. Could an earthquake hit and destroy my home? sure. Do I worry about it? Sometimes.  

Don't dwell on things you have no control over.

Agent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Agent47
@HisDudeness: Yeah I am from Puerto Rico but South America seems more safe.Plus I would be right at home.Buenos Aires sounds like the perfect name too.
sorawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By sorawesome

the reason for the increase in natural disasters is because of planet nibiru.

beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By beej
@Agent47: I'm trying to find the right words to emphasis the insanity that's involved with abandoning the coastline because something bad might happen at some point. I'm pretty sure air pollution, obesity, and smoking are all probably much more deadly than terrible natural disasters. 
Agent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Agent47
@Dtat: Earthquake in Florida?Don't be silly. Besides that California I just been known to have minor ones from time to time, similar to Japan except come to found out Japan is lying on a basicly unawakened volcanic reaction of seismic activity.So this was bound to happen at one point in history, don't know about Cali though.
 It is not that I am worried it is just my family means a lot to me and I would hate to have something happen to them.Don't care if I myself perish as long as they are safe.Also not so much I am thinking about it but just the possiblity of something like that happening, and did you see that footage from Japan!?Thanks for making me feel like shit NBC.I saw some on the news and in school but it is 1:41AM over here and they showed this midnight raw footage thing.Damn did it get me.
Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

The only thing we have to worry about in Florida is hurricanes, tornadoes, and elderly racists. We're very well versed in these so you really shouldn't worry about a major disaster. You have a better chance of a stroke or heart attack or something.

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By dtat
@Agent47: I live on the San Andreas fault. A quake like that is bound to happen again someday. Heard of the San Fransisco Quake? It was a lot like the Japan one. And as we all know, earthquakes cause tsunamis. It's scary stuff, but my point is: it's just not worth worrying over. 
Bismarck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Bismarck

From what I san see Florida isn't in a fault like Calli with San Andreas. People in Europe also go crazy, from what i heard last on the news in Switzerland had some signs from the radiation from Japan, as well as Iceland. So yeah i think you are a little bit over reacting. My country is divided in 5 faults(that cause earthquakes) and people dont really care.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By FancySoapsMan

You should be worried about hurricanes, not tsunamis.

gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By gamb1t
@Agent47 said:
" There was that mayor earthquake in Haiti, and now Japan has gotten a tsunami, earthquake, and the nuclear reactors going off around the island.I was just watching some raw footage of it all, and now I am pretty depressed.Why all the sudden strikes of large scale disasters?(pardon my grammer I am rushing and spellcheck isn't on the spanish version of Firefox) These things are common but lately they have getting more mayor.As I breeze through topics on GB's site it got me thinking of all the little things.How Japan is suffering so much yet I see all this talk about Nintendo and What PSP game should I get for $5?Which is not bad cause I don't want to feel like shit like I am now.I see all this suffering and got me wondering will I join them soon?  I live and south Florida and most of you guys probably don't care or aren't worried cause you live in Eurpoe and are surrounded by other countries and borders.I live next to a body of ocean!? So what is the possibility that it could happen to Florida?Pretty high I say, but if anybody knows anything about a possible tsunami in Florida please tell me.I fear not for myself but for my family's sake.I just want to tell them that we should move to South America and live in peace.(mostly)I was joking thinking about rushing to my roof with my games and dog intact, thinking I much rather die then suffer.  Maybe I am over reacting...but that's what everyone says until it happens.Like when they said someone should add more security measures to the Twin towers incase of a terrorist attack, if only people listened. Sorry for strechting this out.I just I like coming to GB to watch gameplay vids, relax from school, think about games that relive me of worries, laugh at the GB's crew's antics...but as I watch all this it brings the harsh realities of life, and escepcially that of ours being so insignificant.That from the stars we appear as mere dwarves to the rest of the ever lasting...ever expanding galaxy. "
i wrote something but in conclusion your just dumb. TSUNAMIS IN FLORIDA OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Vodun
@Agent47: Stop watching the news. They pick up every terrible thing in the world and show it over and over again. If you watch the news you'll get the idea that nothing but major disasters occur. Since "nothing happened today" doesn't make for good viewing they don't show that, this means you have unabated badness coming out of your TV, when in fact for the vast majority of people for the vast majority of the time "nothing happened today" will be the truth.
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BraveToaster
@gamb1t said:

i wrote something but in conclusion your just dumb. TSUNAMIS IN FLORIDA OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! "

This made me laugh. You called him dumb, but your comment is all sorts of fucked.
gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By gamb1t
@Axxol said:
" @gamb1t said:

i wrote something but in conclusion your just dumb. TSUNAMIS IN FLORIDA OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! "

This made me laugh. You called him dumb, but your comment is all sorts of fucked. "
thats cause i write as i would talk socially. cause i have a social life rather then one just on da interNETs. axhole. see what i did thAR?!?!
Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Damn it,now im depressed -.-

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BraveToaster
@gamb1t said:
" @Axxol said:
" @gamb1t said:

This made me laugh. You called him dumb, but your comment is all sorts of fucked. "
thats cause i write as i would talk socially. cause i have a social life rather then one just on da interNETs. axhole. see what i did thAR?!?! "
You type like an idiot because you have a social life. That makes a lot of sense.
Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#21  Edited By Commisar123

don't worry bout it

Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Beaudacious

There are about 20,000 Earth quakes a year, about 2000+ of those are above 5.0 magnitude. Also about a week or two before the 8.9 in japan there was a 7.2 earthquake which was the trigger for the 8.9. As well following the major earthquake there have been several after shock ranging in the 6's and 7's. Some geologist worry that this earthquake might also only be a trigger for another even larger earthquake.

California being close to the San andreas fault is in prime earthquake territory. The major issue there is that the san andreas fault according to geological records is over due for a massive earthquake by about 2500 years, which is referred to as the big one i believe. Although you must understand that earthquake research isn't an accurate science as scientist have failed time and again to accurately predict earthquakes, but are fairly accurately able to predict locations( within 100's of meters) and possible strength.

I don't believe Folrida is in any danger of earthquakes or tsunamis caused by earthquakes. The main danger i believe is intense storms/hurricanes.

Natural disasters are fairly common around the world, its just that japan is a very modern country so this disaster has been  endlessly documented. The Tohuku Earthquake/natural disaster has been the most documented earthquake and tsunami to date in world history .

Just don't watch the regular news for pertinent information regarding any natural disasters, if your interested look up information regarding the issue from scientific groups.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By StaticFalconar

In a long enough timeline everybody dies. 

Bigrhyno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By Bigrhyno

In Florida you should be worried about hurricanes, rather than tsunamis or earthquakes. But really you shouldn't worry about anything at all. You will know days in advance if a major hurricane is headed your way and will have plenty of time to evacuate if it really worries you.

Lemoncookie01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Lemoncookie01

Don't fear the reaper.

CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By CastroCasper

If you pay very close attention, you will notice that these major events happen all the time. It is usually in a country that doesn't get nearly as much press due to its impact on the rest of the world. If you think about it, Japan has such a large impact on America and the rest of the world, that when something like this happens, hundreds of industries are affected. That is why you are noticing more news on Japan than you would Chile.  

The world is acting like a world, it's not new. We could put up 20 foot storm walls and get killed by a lightning storm, hindsight is always 20/20. 

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Enigma777
@Axxol said:

" @gamb1t said:

" @Axxol said:
" @gamb1t said:

thats cause i write as i would talk socially. cause i have a social life rather then one just on da interNETs. axhole. see what i did thAR?!?! "
You type like an idiot because you have a social life. That makes a lot of sense. "
Cool kidz type liek dis cause dey dont got no time fro spellcheck yo! Deis 2 busy getting BJs frum supermodels. Haterz gonna h8!
JapanMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By JapanMan

I was searching around for a suitable place to post a link to an article about how to play Japanese Language Games, when I found this post about the Japanese disaster. 

As someone who is currently living in Japan, I have to say that the devastation along the coast in Fukushima and Sendai has been devastating.  As well, it has had a major ripple affect through the country, but one thing I tell everyone, just be more concerned about the people who were directly affected by the natural disaster.  In other words, those who were hit by the tsunami.  

The whole mumbo jumbo about the power plant causing the next chernobyl is bs right now.  It's just something that's gotten so pulled out of context by the media.  As well, Vodum has the right idea: Stop watching the news.  

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By mylifeforAiur
@gamb1t said:
" @Agent47 said:
" There was that mayor earthquake in Haiti, and now Japan has gotten a tsunami, earthquake, and the nuclear reactors going off around the island.I was just watching some raw footage of it all, and now I am pretty depressed.Why all the sudden strikes of large scale disasters?(pardon my grammer I am rushing and spellcheck isn't on the spanish version of Firefox) These things are common but lately they have getting more mayor.As I breeze through topics on GB's site it got me thinking of all the little things.How Japan is suffering so much yet I see all this talk about Nintendo and What PSP game should I get for $5?Which is not bad cause I don't want to feel like shit like I am now.I see all this suffering and got me wondering will I join them soon?  I live and south Florida and most of you guys probably don't care or aren't worried cause you live in Eurpoe and are surrounded by other countries and borders.I live next to a body of ocean!? So what is the possibility that it could happen to Florida?Pretty high I say, but if anybody knows anything about a possible tsunami in Florida please tell me.I fear not for myself but for my family's sake.I just want to tell them that we should move to South America and live in peace.(mostly)I was joking thinking about rushing to my roof with my games and dog intact, thinking I much rather die then suffer.  Maybe I am over reacting...but that's what everyone says until it happens.Like when they said someone should add more security measures to the Twin towers incase of a terrorist attack, if only people listened. Sorry for strechting this out.I just I like coming to GB to watch gameplay vids, relax from school, think about games that relive me of worries, laugh at the GB's crew's antics...but as I watch all this it brings the harsh realities of life, and escepcially that of ours being so insignificant.That from the stars we appear as mere dwarves to the rest of the ever lasting...ever expanding galaxy. "
It's you're, idiot. Also, if that's how you speak in real life then you're in a bit of trouble, my gregarious buddy.
Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Wolverine
@Axxol said:
" @gamb1t said:
" @Axxol said:
" @gamb1t said:

You type like an idiot because you have a social life. That makes a lot of sense. "
You didn't know one of the requirements of having a social life is having horrific grammar? People who use proper English while typing are such losers. :-(
NakAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By NakAttack
@Agent47 said:
I wouldn't worry to much about it. I will say that if there was a mayor earthquake where I live, I would vote for him.
monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By monetarydread

There aren't more natural disasters than usual. What you see is just a product of the globalization of the planet. People have overcrowded the planet, forcing civilizations to move into less stable territories. Combined with the fact that more people have camcorders and internet access now to spread the information of these disasters, and you get what seems like more disasters every year. 

People have already mentioned this in the thread, but Florida isn't in much danger when it comes to Earthquakes. It is in severe danger for hurricanes though, combined with the fact that a large portion of land is actually below sea level and you have a place I wouldn't want to live in.

On a side note, you asked why people are talking about 3DS and $5 PSP titles when disaster has struck? Well that is an easy one. This is a video game website and the disaster was two weeks ago now. There are numerous threads about the disaster, and I am sure many of us have helped out wherever possible. My thought is though, since this sort of incident is a regular occurrence, why should all life still be stopped and focused on one disaster for so long? It is a tragedy, sure, but outside of quitting my job and spending my life savings to help clear rubble, what do you expect me to do? Sitting around talking on a gaming forum isn't going to do anything.  

Talk - Action = Nothing

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By chrissedoff

i'm not aware of florida having a problem with earthquakes. worry about hurricanes, not tsunamis.

Avatar image for darkdragonsoul99
darkdragonsoul99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By darkdragonsoul99
@Agent47:  It's not all of a sudden this stuff has been happening sense mankind took to living on fault lines and on coast lines.  They have only gotten more major because there are more idiots living there. The more people the worse this stuff seems.  Yes this will happen to   Florida sooner or later  you get hit by hurricanes every year. You aren't going to get hit by a   earthquake but yes Florida  will get hit by a tsunami   at some point  you live on a coast after all earthquakes are not the only causes of tsunami.  The odds of it happening is 100% the only question is when. 
chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By chrissedoff
@darkdragonsoul99: seismic activity is the only cause of tsunamis barring a meteor or a nuclear bomb
Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sorawesome said:
" the reason for the increase in natural disasters is because of planet nibiru. "
be joking, please.
1337W422102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37  Edited By 1337W422102
@Dtat said:
" I live in California. Could an earthquake hit and destroy my home? sure. Do I worry about it? Sometimes.   Don't dwell on things you have no control over. "
Wait, but you DO have control over that, to a certain extent.  If you're in a disaster-prone area, move away.  Know what I mean?
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#38  Edited By natetodamax

You should be more worried about dying in your next car ride then having your family perish in a natural disaster.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#39  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Natural disasters like that have always been super common. It's just that advances in technology has made it easier for people to document and broadcast their experiences. Nothing has changed with regards to the frequency of these things.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By FunExplosions
@Agent47:
You should try putting your feelings into action. Sounds like you want to. Help someone out with something.
Lotus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Lotus
@MattyFTM said:
" Natural disasters like that have always been super common. It's just that advances in technology has made it easier for people to document and broadcast their experiences. Nothing has changed with regards to the frequency of these things. "
True lithosphere is always a bitch, also, damn you hot and cold air combinations.
Time_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Time_Lord

I live in Wellington In New Zealand were the threat of major earthquakes are something we have to live with I have been rasied all my life with people saying saying the major one is going to happen soon you just live with it and be prepared the best you can. As for Japan it sucks the intal earth quake did not do much damage as Japan is used to earthquakes much like NZ is was the tsuami and the nuclear accdient that has done the most.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@gamb1t said:
" @Axxol said:
" @gamb1t said:

Playing Bingo at the Center for the Mentally Disabled in your pj's isn't a social life despite what your patents and therapist might have said.
swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#44  Edited By swoxx

I'm Mayor Earthquake! 

on a more serious note: global warming

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#45  Edited By Red12b

@Axxol  

Hey Axhol 

ahar hatr har hhaaaaarrrgggghhh 
exasperation! Vexation frustration fixation  

...emergence
NakAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By NakAttack
@swoxx said:
" I'm Mayor Earthquake!  on a more serious note: global warming "
beat you to it.
Avatar image for extreme_popcorn
Extreme_Popcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Extreme_Popcorn
Odds of Death for US residents

Heart disease - 1 in 5 
Cancer - 1 in 7 
Stroke - 1 in 23  
Accidental Injury - 1 in 36 
Motor Vehicle Accident - 1 in 100 
Suicide - 1 in 121 
Falling Down - 1 in 246 
Assault by Firearm - 1 in 325 
Fire or Smoke - 1 in 1,116 
Natural Forces (Combined) - 1 in 3,357 
Electrocution - 1 in 5,000 
Drowning - 1 in 8,942 
Air Crash - 1 in 20,000 
Flood - 1 in 30,000 
Legal Execution - 1 in 58,618 
Tornado - 1 in 60,000 
Lightening Strike - 1 in 83,930 
Snake, Bee or Venomous Bite - 1 in 100,000 
Earthquake 1 in 131,890 
Dog Attack - 1 in 147,717 
Asteroid Impact - 1 in 200,000-500,000 
Tsunami - 1 in 500,000 

http://www.livescience.com/3780-odds-dying.html    

See, you have a lot more shit to worry about than Tsunamis. 
Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#48  Edited By Slaker117
@Buck_Sexington:  What's with the huge range on death by asteroid?
Avatar image for extreme_popcorn
Extreme_Popcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Extreme_Popcorn
@Slaker117:  I imagine it's because there are lots of different ways you can die from an asteroid. You could be hit on the head by a tiny one where the odds would be amazingly high or the earth could be hit by a giant asteroid which wipes out all life where the odds are rather lower.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By penguindust

No Caption Provided

This is a map of the world's tectonic plates.  Earthquakes usually happen when these plates rub against each other.  Japan is along the edge of the 4 different plates (North American, Pacific, Philippine, and Eurasian) so it gets a lot more earthquakes.  The closest plate to Florida is the Caribbean plate however it's not too active.  There have been earthquakes in Cuba but they've never been recorded over 6.9.   As you should know by now, a tsunami results from an underwater earthquake.  So, is there a chance of a tsunami hitting Florida?  Sure, but I wouldn't worry about it.   

I, too live in Florida and close to the shore.  I have first hand experience with hurricanes.  If you want to needlessly worry about something, you should start there.  The  National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)  has forecasted 9 to 12 named storms, of which 5 to 7 will reach hurricane strength and 1 to 3 should become major hurricanes for 2011.  That's a pretty light season in comparison to 2004 or 2005.   

Additionally, to further fan your anxiety, you should know you're more likely to be struck dead by lightening in Florida than engulfed by a tsuami.    The Sunshine State leads the nation in lightning strikes, with a daily average of more than 3,500, and ranks first in lightning-related deaths.    Florida leads the nation in deaths caused by lightning.  The reasons for that are straightforward – Florida has both a high population and typically a large amount of lightning.  In Hillsborough County, 32 people were killed by lightning between 1959 and 2003 – a number matched only by Miami-Dade County.  

All you can do is have a emergency safty kit prepared and go on with your life accepting that from the moment you're born, you're a moment closer to your death.