• 97 results
Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#51  Edited By Slaker117
@Buck_Sexington: That actually makes a decent amount of sense, though at face value those odds seem surprisingly high.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#52  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Axxol said:
" I grew up in Florida, and  this never worried me. You really can't compare Florida to Japan, seeing how one is an Island and has had several earthquakes in the past. "
Just replace "earthquake" with "hurricane", and now it seems slightly more reasonable.
Jaize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By Jaize
@Buck_Sexington: Odds of being killed in a Vending Machine accident: 1 in 112,000,000. 

13 people die each year from vending machines. There are very few shark attacks. Meaning that soda machines are more deadly than sharks. Fact.  

Why's everyone so worried about tsunamis and asteroids? 'Tis the coke machine that I fear. That and getting out of bed: 

Deaths Yearly Odds Lifetime Odds
      Fall involving bed, chair, other furniture, W06-W08624437,2125,700
    http://www.purewatergazette.net/oddsofdying.htm
Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Twisted_Scot

No point worrying over something that you cant fix or change. The UK is a tiny place surrounded by sea so it could also be wiped out but it hasn't so point worrying.  The thing i could never understand are the people in parts of the US that live and park there trailer in a place that every year a tornado comes along and tears it appart. Your a US citizen and your home has F-ing wheels, why park there year after year? Is it because its the only time you get to use a basment ?

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#55  Edited By sweep  Moderator
@SeriouslyNow said:
" @gamb1t said:
" @Axxol said:
" @gamb1t said:

i wrote something but in conclusion your just dumb. TSUNAMIS IN FLORIDA OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! "

This made me laugh. You called him dumb, but your comment is all sorts of fucked. "
thats cause i write as i would talk socially. cause i have a social life rather then one just on da interNETs. axhole. see what i did thAR?!?! "
Playing Bingo at the Center for the Mentally Disabled in your pj's isn't a social life despite what your patents and therapist might have said. "

Enough, all of you.

Get back on topic or get out.
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#56  Edited By toowalrus
@Axxol
@gamb1t said:

i wrote something but in conclusion your just dumb. TSUNAMIS IN FLORIDA OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! "

This made me laugh. You called him dumb, but your comment is all sorts of fucked.
Yeah, but he's not wrong, his point is valid. Maybe they're both dumb?
Avatar image for darkdragonsoul99
darkdragonsoul99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#57  Edited By darkdragonsoul99
@chrissedoff:  Yes but earthquakes are not the only forms of    seismic activity. One landslide that either goes into the water or is underwater  will cause as tsunami and it can cause one that's worse than any thing an earthquake can. Now is it going to happen with in our life times probably not but it will happen and it has happened before.  There  are already probable causes being looked at  Cumbre Vieja  in the cannery islands  for instance. 
dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#58  Edited By dtat
@1337W422102 said:
" @Dtat said:
" I live in California. Could an earthquake hit and destroy my home? sure. Do I worry about it? Sometimes.   Don't dwell on things you have no control over. "
Wait, but you DO have control over that, to a certain extent.  If you're in a disaster-prone area, move away.  Know what I mean? "
Yep it's that simple. I'll move somewhere that has no natural disasters. Tell that to every single person that lives in the central United States, on the West Coast, on the East Coast, in the South....
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By BraveToaster
@Video_Game_King said:
" @Axxol said:
" I grew up in Florida, and  this never worried me. You really can't compare Florida to Japan, seeing how one is an Island and has had several earthquakes in the past. "
Just replace "earthquake" with "hurricane", and now it seems slightly more reasonable. "
It's not that simple. When Florida receives a hurricane warning, you have somewhere to evacuate to. You can't predict an earthquake and chances of evacuating aren't high.
1337W422102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#60  Edited By 1337W422102
@Dtat said:
" @1337W422102 said:
" @Dtat said:
" I live in California. Could an earthquake hit and destroy my home? sure. Do I worry about it? Sometimes.   Don't dwell on things you have no control over. "
Wait, but you DO have control over that, to a certain extent.  If you're in a disaster-prone area, move away.  Know what I mean? "
Yep it's that simple. I'll move somewhere that has no natural disasters. Tell that to every single person that lives in the central United States, on the West Coast, on the East Coast, in the South.... "
I didn't mean you specifically.  But seriously, though, it's like people who live in 'Hurricane Alley' and are all devastated when a goddamn hurricane plows through.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Axxol: 

But given how often Japan has earthquakes, they are pretty damn prepared for when they happen. If anything, this recent earthquake is basically the Japanese Hurricane Katrina: they had an idea that it was going to happen, only really bad luck escalated things. I'm not wording it right, but the pieces are there, damn it.
ghettobond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#62  Edited By ghettobond

I'm responding late to this topic, as it's already 4 pages deep, but I will add my reply in hopes that someone finds it remotely interesting. 

I live in northern New Jersey, approximately ten miles from New York City. I consider the events of September 11th to be isolated. The actions taken afterwards are another story, and affects many of us, but the actual events that occurred that day are largely isolated to a few locations in the United States. I think it's normal that anyone outside of these areas have moved on since, or were never even affected. It didn't happen to them.  It doesn't make us bad people for it. 

Honestly, and I mean no offense to this, but I don't think this topic would have existed if Agent47 didn't think "what about my family?" It's normal. It becomes a much bigger issue if you're directly affected. This isn't the first tsunami, and it won't be the last. Life goes on. We live with risk, and it is what it is. Japan's situation was made even worse given the existence of man-made advancements in developed countries. Nuclear reactors give us what we need, but there's a cost and risk. We accept these risks when we create these advancements. The best Japan can do is rebuild and continue being Japan. The best we can do as a species is learn from this and try to prevent a disaster like this from happening again. 

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#63  Edited By mikemcn

There isn't much anyone could have done to keep the World Trade center from falling after several thousand pounds of flaming metal slammed into the two towers at speeds in excess of 100mph. So the simile sorta falls apart there.  Yes they could have been more prepared for terrorism, especially after the bombings at the WTC, but 9/11 is one of those things no one could have really forseen or prepared for. 

If we all worried about things like terrorist attacks and natural disasters all the time we'd go crazy. The world hates life, and its going to keep trying to get rid of it as often as it can, don't let it beat you down. 

ghettobond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By ghettobond
@Mikemcn: I don't see how the comparison falls apart. Preparation is preparation, and we have intelligence agencies who work around the clock to attempt to prevent things like 9/11 from happening. We had the intelligence, we just didn't have intelligent people interpreting it. This doesn't even include the work that went behind the buildings themselves to prevent it from collapsing. It's no different than having a system to better predict earthquakes and tsunamis. If anything, it makes something like 9/11 more preventable than a natural disaster.

You can prevent, prepare, and then respond.
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By BraveToaster
@Video_Game_King said:
" @Axxol:   But given how often Japan has earthquakes, they are pretty damn prepared for when they happen. If anything, this recent earthquake is basically the Japanese Hurricane Katrina: they had an idea that it was going to happen, only really bad luck escalated things. I'm not wording it right, but the pieces are there, damn it. "
We knew Katrina was approaching and people were told to evacuate. A lot of people refused to leave their homes, writing it off as a weak storm. You can't compare the two because earthquakes pop out of nowhere.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Axxol: 

Fair enough, but again, on some level, the analogy holds true.
Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#67  Edited By Afroman269

Most likely thing in terms of disaster that can happen to Florida is a hurricane. I only experienced one kinda serious hurricane when I used to live there a while back. As for the other disasters, the world is ending, didn't you know?

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By FourWude

Boo fricking hoo.

Suck it up and live with it. waah waah terrorist is gonna kill me waah!!!

Most of you suckas don't even know that post WW2 more people have died from lightning strikes in the US than from "terrorist" attacks, and that includes 9/11. 

You want scary shit, wait till you see what your US govt does to you in a few years time. Just wait mofo, just wait.

SpicyRichter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By SpicyRichter
@Agent47 said:
" @Dtat: Earthquake in Florida?Don't be silly. Besides that California I just been known to have minor ones from time to time, similar to Japan except come to found out Japan is lying on a basicly unawakened volcanic reaction of seismic activity.So this was bound to happen at one point in history, don't know about Cali though.
 It is not that I am worried it is just my family means a lot to me and I would hate to have something happen to them.Don't care if I myself perish as long as they are safe.Also not so much I am thinking about it but just the possiblity of something like that happening, and did you see that footage from Japan!?Thanks for making me feel like shit NBC.I saw some on the news and in school but it is 1:41AM over here and they showed this midnight raw footage thing.Damn did it get me. "
You sound pretty young. If young people are actually worrying and stressing out about this kind of stuff already, then man, no wonder the world is so stressed out and why teen suicide rates are so high. I'd just chill man, worry about getting dates and making out with girls, and not natural disasters.

When I was young I used to worry about home invasions to the point where I couldn't sleep. I live in Canada, so this is crazy right? Anyway, worrying about stuff never helps anybody, so just avoid the news. I never watch if I can help it.
Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#70  Edited By Daveyo520

They just happen dude. It is how the world works. It sucks but weather and earthquakes just happen. It is none of this stupid 2012 end of the world shit. 

@swoxx said: 

" I'm Mayor Earthquake!  on a more serious note: global warming "

No. This is natural and has been happening forever. Not saying GW isn't real, it just isn't the cause.    
PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By PeasantAbuse

I don't see any reason to worry about things that are beyond anyones control.  Just live your life and stop watching the news if it's going to bother you that much.
luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#72  Edited By luce
@Sweep said:
" @SeriouslyNow said:
" @gamb1t said:
" @Axxol said:
" @gamb1t said:

This made me laugh. You called him dumb, but your comment is all sorts of fucked. "
thats cause i write as i would talk socially. cause i have a social life rather then one just on da interNETs. axhole. see what i did thAR?!?! "
Playing Bingo at the Center for the Mentally Disabled in your pj's isn't a social life despite what your patents and therapist might have said. "

No Caption Provided

"

Hehee 

....sorry 
Avatar image for deactivated-57d3a53d23027
deactivated-57d3a53d23027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Donate some money to the Japanese Red Cross if you want to help because that just might. Thinking about stuff when you can do nothing about it is not good for you. There is nothing wrong with having an interest in your hobby, the world shouldn't completely stop because somewhere has a disaster. If I die tommorrow I would rather my neighbours think about fishing or sex or whatever they are into, not my death.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

im worried about my family in Japan because of the damn power plants...  i know i really cant do anything about it but its just i have a really bad feeling all this.  i live on the westcoast so i guess i could be worried?  but im really not.  if it happens then it happens.  i just need to make sure that im prepared and i dont overreact

Trebz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Trebz
@Dtat said:
Exactly where I am/how I feel about this. Just be prepared and get on with what you gotta do.
FightMeNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By FightMeNerd
@HisDudeness:  El Paso, Texas is pretty good for preventing natural disasters. It's no where near a fault line, it is no where near a large body of water, and the largest threat it has ever had is a tornado and that is very unlikely because the city is surrounded by mountains. Even if it got going mountains cause tornadoes to dissipate. The only issue with this city is because of the major hispanic population all the jobs are shit and the ones that are available you need to speak Spanish. Also it's home to the third largest base which makes it a target if shit goes bad. Also it's right next to Juarez and that place is fucking crazy. The cartel will sew your face to a soccer ball just to use you as an example. Yet nothing has crossed the border in the years that has been going on so I don't feel in danger. Besides, if the drug cartel attacked a city with a military base in it... Well I think you know what would happen :/
swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By swoxx
@Daveyo520 said:

" They just happen dude. It is how the world works. It sucks but weather and earthquakes just happen. It is none of this stupid 2012 end of the world shit. 

@swoxx

said: 

" I'm Mayor Earthquake!  on a more serious note: global warming "

No. This is natural and has been happening forever. Not saying GW isn't real, it just isn't the cause.     "
Not as frequent as they are today, just look at historical statistics. Extreme natural events have increased a lot over the last 100 years, and especially since industrialization. Of course It's not the only cause, It is however contributing. How much is just earth doing It's thing and how much is anthropocentric influence, no-one knows. 
DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By DeeGee
@swoxx:  I'd love to see your statistics. The perception that natural disasters have increased in the last 100 years goes hand in hand with the last 100 years introducing global communication and technology to keep track of these things. All sorts of shit went down in the past that we have no clue about, because there was no news channel or internet blog to go onto and be told what happened.
JerichoBlyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By JerichoBlyth

Life goes on - buy a gameboy.

Dedodido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Dedodido
@Wolverine said:
" @Axxol said:
" @gamb1t said:
" @Axxol said:
" @gamb1t said:

You type like an idiot because you have a social life. That makes a lot of sense. "
You didn't know one of the requirements of having a social life is having horrific grammar? People who use proper English while typing are such losers. :-( "
I'm just trying to work out what the hell a "just dumb" is. And then what about his "just dumb"? Is it in trouble or something?
armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#81  Edited By armaan8014
@Vodun said:
" @Agent47: Stop watching the news. They pick up every terrible thing in the world and show it over and over again. If you watch the news you'll get the idea that nothing but major disasters occur. Since "nothing happened today" doesn't make for good viewing they don't show that, this means you have unabated badness coming out of your TV, when in fact for the vast majority of people for the vast majority of the time "nothing happened today" will be the truth. "
You are a wise man. Listen to this guy!
monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#82  Edited By monkeyking1969
Feeling under the weather....you will feel under that water......you will need new socks for sure.  (And, by you will I mean if you live another 50 to 100 years)

Use the link below to find where you are on the map.  Then change the drop down box on the top left to add  'meters' of sea level rise and watch the coast line disappear. 

http://flood.firetree.net/?ll=43.3251,-101.6015&z=13&m=0  

Keep in mind this is just a rough stab because it does not take into account erosion because of sea level rise.  If you figure in the Bruun Rule the damage can be much worse in sandy coastal areas. 
kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By kingzetta

did you ever have a hole 100 miles long 50 miles wide ripped open in the ground in Florida?

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By swoxx
@DeeGee said:

" @swoxx:  I'd love to see your statistics. The perception that natural disasters have increased in the last 100 years goes hand in hand with the last 100 years introducing global communication and technology to keep track of these things. All sorts of shit went down in the past that we have no clue about, because there was no news channel or internet blog to go onto and be told what happened. "

True but there are still plenty of scientific ways to find out what happened in the past, the statistics i saw was during one of my lectures at the uni, I'll try and get a hold of em. 

Edit: here's a similar one 

No Caption Provided
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By penguindust

Someday the Yellowstone National Park supervolcano will blow and all of us will be fucked.  It won't matter where you live since it's the type of catastrophic eruption that changes global climates.   National Geographic article 

“It would explode with a force a thousand times more powerful than the Mount St Helens eruption in 1980,” the UK’s Daily Mail warns. The world’s largest super-volcano located underneath the United States’ Yellowstone National Park is set to blow.   Spewing lava far into the sky, a cloud of plant-killing ash would fan out and dump a layer 10ft deep up to 1,000 miles away. Two-thirds of the U.S. could become uninhabitable as toxic air sweeps through it, grounding thousands of flights and forcing millions to leave their homes. This is the nightmare that scientists are predicting could happen if the world’s largest super-volcano erupts for the first time in 600,000 years, as it could do in the near future. Yellowstone National Park’s caldera has erupted three times in the last 2.1 million years and researchers monitoring it say we could be in for another eruption. "   UK Daily Mail [Jan 2011 post]

Now, this is like giant asteroids or global thermal-nuclear war where it just doesn't pay to worry or prepare for it unless you really do want to play out your Fallout 3 dreams.  
ll_chilidogs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By ll_chilidogs

Florida isn't on an active fault line, so the chances of a earthquake is almost non-existent.  I'm a Floridian that has lived through 2 to 3 hurricanes a year and those are what we have to worry about.  Fortunately we live in a rich nation that has building codes and houses that can withstand 120+ mph winds.   I've been evacuated a few times, for some cat 3s, 4s, and 5s, since I live a mile from the beach.  But most of the time, hurricanes are no worse than a typical, summer afternoon thunderstorm.

Katrina and Andrew looked bad, but had the levees held they would've been fine, and Andrew did all of its damage in the trailer parks and shanty-towns of Miami.

We're just fortunate that our natural disasters can be predicted 3 weeks in advance, when earthquakes, tornadoes, flash floods and tsunami's can happen any time.

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MonkeyKing1969 said:
" Feeling under the weather....you will feel under that water......you will need new socks for sure.  (And, by you will I mean if you live another 50 to 100 years)

Use the link below to find where you are on the map.  Then change the drop down box on the top left to add  'meters' of sea level rise and watch the coast line disappear. 

http://flood.firetree.net/?ll=43.3251%2C-101.6015&z=13&m=1   Keep in mind this is just a rough stab because it does not take into account erosion because of sea level rise.  If you figure in the Bruun Rule the damage can be much worse in sandy coastal areas.  "
Goddamn racist flood map.
dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#88  Edited By dbz1995
@gamb1t said:
" @Axxol said:
" @gamb1t said:

No. No i do not.
InternetCrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By InternetCrab
@HisDudeness said:
" @Agent47 said:
" I just I like coming to GB to watch gameplay vids, relax from school, think about games that relive me of worries, laugh at the GB's crew's antics...but as I watch all this it brings the harsh realities of life, and escepcially that of ours being so insignificant.That from the stars we appear as mere dwarves to the rest of the ever lasting...ever expanding galaxy. "
That's inspired. You should come to Buenos Aires, they say it's best city in the world for living in, if you talk about natural disasters n' shit. "
I heard Sweden is quite good also if you don't want any ''natural disasters n' shit''.
Gutlieb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Gutlieb

Despite the horrors many of Japan's families are facing, there is a bright side to it. Japan's economy has been staling for the last 25 years or so and not as many people as they would like have jobs. This earthquake might work as a major boost (shock) to the economy and things might (will) pick up again. This is just the way life has been for Japan for centuries.

Ben99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Ben99
@bassboy2100 said:
" There are PSP games for $5??! "
ROFL !
Nomin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#92  Edited By Nomin

Yeah Japan will survive, no worries there, despite how depressing some of the prospects for recovery can be in terms of time. Also Japan is ultra rich, and its economy could rebound as people expect a lot of cash flow in Yen. But the nuclear situation doesn't look too good, indeed, with the government being very cagey and defensive over whether they were doing proper inspections and recovery efforts and all that. The release of fission materials into the air and ocean really will take toll on the psyche of those who rely their food to be ensured safety and proper treatment. 

As for natural disasters, one just has to be vigilant about their surroundings and take proper preparations to increase the odds of survival and even prevention. What people also could do is to minimize the kind of harm inflicted upon the Earth on their part, decrease the ecological footprint so as to properly make better use of dwindling natural resources and avoid polluting and devastating what the natural disasters haven't touched.
blueaniman93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By blueaniman93

I don't think it should be much of an issue in Florida. People around there are probably going to have a hurricane pass by every now and then. I would be more concerned if I was in Mississippi or Louisiana. 
If it really bothers you, you should probably move somewhere safe like Northeastern USA because natural disasters of scale such as earthquakes or hurricanes or tornadoes are of no concern up here. There might a snowstorm every now and then.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By iam3green

i don't think you have anything to worry about. maybe a flood or something but nothing to worry about. it does seem kind of weird that natural disasters suddenly happen lately.

InternetCrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By InternetCrab
@SeriouslyNow said:
" @gamb1t said:
" @Axxol said:
" @gamb1t said:

I just wet myself.
Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Vodun
@InternetCrab said:
" @HisDudeness said:
" @Agent47 said:
" I just I like coming to GB to watch gameplay vids, relax from school, think about games that relive me of worries, laugh at the GB's crew's antics...but as I watch all this it brings the harsh realities of life, and escepcially that of ours being so insignificant.That from the stars we appear as mere dwarves to the rest of the ever lasting...ever expanding galaxy. "
That's inspired. You should come to Buenos Aires, they say it's best city in the world for living in, if you talk about natural disasters n' shit. "
I heard Sweden is quite good also if you don't want any ''natural disasters n' shit''. "
Dude nah, we had like a quake just a couple of years ago! It was like...4.0 or something I think...and it woke up a lot of people who lived on top of it! Quite a few people were really tired the morning after for having their sleep ruined.
Spongetwan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#97  Edited By Spongetwan

Yea you have no need to worry. Florida does not sit on any of the fault lines and there no tsunami coming your way. You are good. These are natural events. Sometimes they are more active than other times.

InternetCrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By InternetCrab
@Vodun said:
" @InternetCrab said:
" @HisDudeness said:
" @Agent47 said:
I heard Sweden is quite good also if you don't want any ''natural disasters n' shit''. "
Dude nah, we had like a quake just a couple of years ago! It was like...4.0 or something I think...and it woke up a lot of people who lived on top of it! Quite a few people were really tired the morning after for having their sleep ruined. "
ONE QUAKE yes. There are very few natural disasters and earthquakes in Sweden. There are barely any dangerous animals there either.