• 117 results
#1 Posted by Jaytow (708 posts) -

Over the last week I have visited the websites of steam, the old republic and the lord of the rings online (I know).

They all use the American flag to represent the English language, although I do understand that the largest English speaking audience will be Americans and therefore in someway it makes sense but I can't help but find it kind of offensive which is ironic ofcourse because my English is so bad that I'm struggling to put this simple thread into words.

But yeah, English is the language of the British people and it should always be represented with our flag, no hate to americans, canadians, australians or new zealanders???? they're all great countries but I just find this kinda stupid.

But eh, who cares?? I only sort of care myself. Just wanted to know what others thought about this. I also find the "it's American-English" argument to be dumb.

#2 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8607 posts) -

Nothing wrong with Lord of the Rings Online!

I personally don't care too much about the flag, brits and americans both speak english and most people get it anyway.

But in my book the american english is shit compared to true british!

#3 Posted by Jaytow (708 posts) -

I'd just like to stress that this thread is in no way an American hate thread, I love all sorts of American culture. This just annoys me.

I haven't played lotro since release, was kinda... ehh back then but I guess I'll give it another go.

#4 Posted by FreakAche (2955 posts) -

Wasn't there something where BioWare used the Canadian flag to represent English?

#5 Posted by eugenesaxe (199 posts) -

Wouldn't bother me if "proper" English and American English were treated as two separate languages. Nobody here speaks proper, and a huge chunk can't even get the American version right.

#6 Posted by Marcsman (3296 posts) -

Next time do better in the Revolutionary War. That's why it's our langauage now. You would be speaking German if not for the US.

#7 Posted by Jaytow (708 posts) -

@eugenesaxe:My argument is not that these languages are not "proper english", it's simply that the language that americans speak is not a different language to the one I speak and therefore should be represented with the british flag.

Also, how happy would tolkien be about this codemasters!!!? not very me thinks!

#8 Posted by GunstarRed (5486 posts) -

Get better things to be annoyed about.

#9 Posted by Jaytow (708 posts) -

@GunstarRed: no.

#10 Posted by GunstarRed (5486 posts) -

@Jaytow: ok

#11 Posted by Marcsman (3296 posts) -

The Spice Girls represent your flag. That's more than enough.

#12 Posted by NTM (7555 posts) -

How is this not at least a little bit offensive? Steam was created and is still being worked on just near where I live here in WA. So of course it's going to be an American flag. I like it being the American flag, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with either dialect. So people that live elsewhere need to stop stating that English is their language, it's ridiculous and it is offense.

#13 Edited by believer258 (12216 posts) -

It's not "our" language. The Americans, I mean. It's not "their" language, either. The British, I mean. Or the Australians'. Or Canada's. Or anyone else's, for that matter.

It's just a language. There are slight differences - American English and British English are often differentiated - but it's just a language. A beautiful one, at that. Do we really need one more thing to fight over in this world?

Besides, if a game is made in America doesn't it make sense that the American flag would represent the language that is was originally made in? Kind of like how Bioware has every right to put a Canadian flag next to their selection of the English language? I don't see how it's anything to be bothered much by.

EDIT: Or, to be much more succinct:

@GunstarRed said:

Get better things to be annoyed about.
#14 Posted by eugenesaxe (199 posts) -

@Jaytow: I gotcha. If you "create" something, it's nice to be credited, esp. something as basic as one of the world's most-spoken languages. Now you know how Tesla felt.

#15 Posted by Lagaroth (171 posts) -

@FreakAche said:

Wasn't there something where BioWare used the Canadian flag to represent English?

Bioware Social I believe.

#16 Posted by Jaytow (708 posts) -

@NTM: So if something is created in a country then it should be represented by that countries flag, right??

My point exactly....

The english language was created near where I live in the united kingdom of great britain. Now you understand my frustration.

#17 Posted by mordukai (7185 posts) -

@FreakAche said:

Is using the canadian flag to represent English.

@Jaytow: Many web sites also use the british flag but that's more to indicate a region.

@Marcsman said:

Next time do better in the Revolutionary War. That's why it's our langauage now. You would be speaking German if not for the US.

I sincerely hope you are joking because I really don't want to think that you're an idiot.

#18 Posted by iPliskin (117 posts) -

I'm offended by people being offend by stuff like that, i'm not american nor british.

#19 Posted by Gamer_152 (14113 posts) -

Just because English originated in Britain doesn't mean it belongs to the British in any way, why should the British flag always be assigned to the English language?

#20 Posted by Jaytow (708 posts) -

@NTM: How dare we claim our language?

Whats next? The french can't claim that french is their language?

You can't claim that the american flag is your flag and something to be proud of.

GOD FORBID the british say that English is their language, good god!!!!

#21 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (1191 posts) -

the english langue sucks balls

#22 Posted by NTM (7555 posts) -

@Jaytow said:

@NTM: So if something is created in a country then it should be represented by that countries flag, right??

My point exactly....

The english language was created near where I live in the united kingdom of great britain. Now you understand my frustration.

Then I could go as far to say Americans created their own English, so by using the American flag, that's how it's represented, making your argument pointless.

#23 Edited by Jaytow (708 posts) -

@NTM: No, you can claim that you created a few hundred words, not a language and if the game in question uses only those words then that's fine. Try speaking with only American words and see how far it gets you.

#24 Posted by NTM (7555 posts) -

@Jaytow: Just by making this thread, makes people know that you have something against America and other places alike that use the English language differently. You're complaining over something that people don't need to hear complaining over. You don't own the language, no one does.

#25 Posted by NTM (7555 posts) -

@Jaytow: And the dialect, not just the words. I'm pretty sure if I were to come where you lived, and spoke English, I'd do perfectly fine.

#26 Posted by AndrewBeardsley (371 posts) -

@FreakAche: Thats the way it should be....

God damn yankee's

#27 Posted by Jaytow (708 posts) -

@NTM: In what way have I suggested that I have something against the rest of the English speaking world?

I'm from Liverpool and we have a very strange use of the English language but I would never say that I'm speaking "Liverpoolian", I'm speaking english no matter the slight differences between the original versions of the language and the one I'm speaking.

#28 Posted by Jaytow (708 posts) -

@NTM: Yes, you would do just fine, I agree because you are speaking English.

#29 Posted by NTM (7555 posts) -

@Jaytow: Because you're complaining over something that you don't need to complain about. Like others have said, get something else to be annoyed about.

#30 Posted by Enigma777 (6059 posts) -

All those games/Steam were made by Americans. Makes sense to me...

#31 Posted by keris (168 posts) -
@Jaytow said:

My point exactly....

You missed the point. All of the developers of the products you mentioned are located in the U.S. Therefore, when referring to the language they natively speak, they use their own country's of origin flag. It's nothing more sinister than that. 

Canadian developers and websites will often use their flag for English; developers from the U.K. will do the same as well with their own flag.
#32 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

This is really fucking stupid.

#33 Posted by Marcsman (3296 posts) -

We are also stealing all your gin. You can keep Madonna though.

#34 Edited by Jaytow (708 posts) -

@kingzetta: no.

@NTM:

No.

Anyway I'm not going to e-argue with you all day. I disagree, putting the American or Canadian flag up to represent something clearly implies that it is American or Canadian.

#35 Posted by Marcsman (3296 posts) -

Maybe you should take a nap. You seem cranky.

#36 Posted by Jaytow (708 posts) -

@Marcsman: It's late over here.

#37 Posted by N7 (3684 posts) -

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

#38 Posted by NTM (7555 posts) -

@Jaytow: Good, I was just about to end it as well. An ending comment though, with what you just said, your assumptions are off, 'cause no one claims the language.

#39 Posted by CookieMonster (2451 posts) -

@Marcsman said:

I hope this is a joke.

#40 Posted by Jaytow (708 posts) -

@N7:

This actually made me laugh.

#41 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

It's an American flag because it's in US English. Come on man, I'm English and I understand why it happens, it doesn't irk me at all.

#42 Posted by dudeglove (8319 posts) -

You're looking for a problem where there isn't one. It's reminiscent of the opinions of politically correct kneejerk morons.

#43 Posted by pw2566ch (480 posts) -

I can't see how people can take offense to everything now 'n days. This is the closest thing I can find to how ridiculous this is...

#44 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

no because most of us dont talk with a british accent.

SO THERE

#45 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -
@Marcsman

You'd be speaking German and/or Japanese and/or Russian if not for Britain holding the line ;)
#46 Posted by IkariNoTekken (987 posts) -

Not fussed about the flag considering they are American built games and they use American English. Having a US flag then using British English is not only misleading, its kinda ridiculous.

I'm English so I'd rather they had both options and it just defaulted to US English. Sometimes they do, but it would nice if it became a standard across all games/software etc.

#47 Posted by IkariNoTekken (987 posts) -

@TheHumanDove: Having the accent makes it a lot easier to fancy dress as Helghast though. Never done it myself but I'm prepared if I decide to :)

#48 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

lol

#49 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

Isn't American English usually called "International English" or is it the other way around?

#50 Posted by c0kemusheen (64 posts) -

Ya know what I find annoying, the societal acceptance of xenophobia towards Americans and anti-American sentiment. Fucking disgraceful, yet so prevalent