• 114 results
#1 Posted by zFUBARz (627 posts) -

https://fiber.google.com/about/

Frankly it seems sort of incredible and brilliant on their end.

User foots the cost of installing expensive Fiber lines, guarantee bulk with the kickstarter like pre registration system, and even offer free god damn internet to people who help pay for it all.

Not to mention the 1000M connections, terrabyte of cloud storage, and cable packages as well!

The shear possibilities to increase fiber adoption and completely change the landscape of the internet and telecommunication are fascinating.

#2 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19342 posts) -

The United States of America isn't the world.

#3 Posted by ThePickle (4182 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

Google Fibre coming soon.

#4 Posted by rb_man (451 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

It is not. But it is a start.

#5 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

Better Google than fucking Apple

#6 Edited by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@xaLieNxGrEyx said:

[Edited comment, as person above was referencing Apple's takeover of the mobile touch sector by force.]

#7 Edited by thedj93 (1237 posts) -

it happened when we weren't looking

it's only now that's too late to do anything about it that we've noticed

but fiber internet seems cool!

#8 Posted by c_rakestraw (853 posts) -

I, for one, accept our soon-to-be Google overlords.

#9 Posted by TooWalrus (13202 posts) -

@C_Rakestraw said:

Indeed. I offer my future daughter's hand in marriage to King Google in exchange for some of that sweet, sweet bandwidth. Also, 500 philistine foreskins.

#10 Posted by zFUBARz (627 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

Hey if they offered it in Canada I'd sign up in a heartbeat, Just think they could name each successive world leader alphabetically after a new kind of sandwich. I for one welcome our new Android overlord, president Au jus.

#11 Posted by AURON570 (1674 posts) -

wait.. so if I put down $300 dollars, I get free internet for the next few years with no bandwidth limit? sounds too good to be true, but doesn't look like it's available in Canada. D=

#12 Posted by Barrock (3533 posts) -

1000 MB per second.

#13 Posted by zFUBARz (627 posts) -

@AURON570: If there's one company that would truly benefit from having near limitless internet capabilities for the masses, it's google, why not facilitate the process themselves and help them speed up their money making capabilities. I mean giving people free internet (with built in Gmail, google drive, google voice, google etc. I'm sure) basically just means more ad revenue for them at this point, they would probably recoup any potential losses in a year help set up the future of their business capabilities along the way.

#14 Posted by Akeldama (4247 posts) -

DO WANT

#15 Posted by Subjugation (4720 posts) -

But I don't live in Kansas City ...

#16 Posted by Dethfish (3666 posts) -

Hell, it's about time.

#17 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

To be fair, Kansas City isn't the United States of America either.

#18 Posted by Grillbar (1835 posts) -

@rb_man said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

and the end

#19 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

One small part of Kansas isn't America either.

#20 Posted by Hunter5024 (5686 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

Hmm... Are you sure?

#21 Posted by rb_man (451 posts) -

@Grillbar said:

@rb_man said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

and the end

Alpha and Omega

#22 Posted by DeadVillager (77 posts) -

@Grillbar said:

@rb_man said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

and the end

Fucking this

#23 Posted by Marz (5653 posts) -

Fiber optic is good technology and in some parts of the world it's more profitable to replace copper wiring infrastructure with fiber optic and sell the copper cabling and break even. I wish the transition was faster in the US though... i've been stuck with this slow ass DSL connection for years :(

#24 Posted by Vodun (2370 posts) -

@Napalm said:

@xaLieNxGrEyx said:

I'm pretty sure Apple didn't have plans to create an internet pipeline system. Alas, they still make solid OSs that are mainstays for creatives. So, shut up.

"Creatives" Wtf are "creatives"?

#25 Posted by Grillbar (1835 posts) -

@rb_man said:

@Grillbar said:

@rb_man said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

and the end

Alpha and Omega

yin and yang

#26 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

@C_Rakestraw said:

Fuck that shit. VIVA LA REVOLUCION!

#27 Posted by Binman88 (3687 posts) -

@Vodun said:

@Napalm said:

@xaLieNxGrEyx said:

I'm pretty sure Apple didn't have plans to create an internet pipeline system. Alas, they still make solid OSs that are mainstays for creatives. So, shut up.

Hipsters.

Seriously though, no OS is predetermined to enhance your ability to be creative/use design software. You may prefer one over the other, but any one who claims one is better for design, period, is a certain kind of brand fan.

#28 Edited by Mushir (2389 posts) -

Is Dial-Up still a thing in the US? Nobody I know uses it in Norway. Not even the older generation.

#29 Edited by Aegon (5639 posts) -

Come to Canada.

#30 Posted by KaneRobot (1614 posts) -

@xaLieNxGrEyx said:

#31 Posted by ShaggE (6456 posts) -

@xaLieNxGrEyx said:

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1DVCB_enUS331US332&sugexp=chrome,mod=9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=%22than+fucking+apple%22

Done.

... Now what?

#32 Posted by PillClinton (3291 posts) -

@ShaggE: He did demand it. Wonder why he didn't just do it himself...

#33 Posted by StarvingGamer (8245 posts) -

Fuck I wish I lived in Kansas City.

#34 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

Holy fucking balls, my downloads are going painfully fucking slow.

This is like being fatally wounded, only to have the paramedics come rushing towards the person beside you. I know I'm exaggerating, but fuck, 33 minutes?

#35 Posted by hidys (1029 posts) -

@rb_man said:

@Grillbar said:

@rb_man said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

and the end

Alpha and Omega

It gives unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.

#36 Posted by MattyFTM (14385 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

It's not even the US. It's just a trial in Kansas City at the moment. Google are taking over Kansas City. FINALLY!!!

I assume that if their trial is successfully they'll roll it out across the states and eventually the rest of the world. But yeah at the moment it's a super small scale thing.

@Barrock said:

1000 MB per second.

It's not even that. 1 Gigabit per second is 128 MegaBytes per second. It's still freaking fast by today's standards though.

#37 Posted by Vodun (2370 posts) -

@Binman88 said:

@Vodun said:

@Napalm said:

@xaLieNxGrEyx said:

Hipsters.

Seriously though, no OS is predetermined to enhance your ability to be creative/use design software. You may prefer one over the other, but any one who claims one is better for design, period, is a certain kind of brand fan.

I'm a designer and I use both Windows and Mac. I also fucking hate the word "creatives"; as if there was some kind of exclusive club for people who create. So programmers don't create things? No need for creative thinking when you're coding and god forbid use Linux.

#38 Posted by zFUBARz (627 posts) -

@MattyFTM said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

It's not even the US. It's just a trial in Kansas City at the moment. Google are taking over Kansas City. FINALLY!!!

I assume that if their trial is successfully they'll roll it out across the states and eventually the rest of the world. But yeah at the moment it's a super small scale thing.

I could be wrong but I believe google has actually been laying down the trunk lines for a good long while now, meaning that once they do this small, test market (which is probably starving for good service) if things work well they can role it out in more populated areas fairly quickly. Like all things google, it starts off small.

#39 Posted by kindgineer (2726 posts) -

Hi, I only came into this thread to argue that America ≠ the world, and that I am angry that people use the word "creatives."

On a related note, this sounds awesome and I hope it is successful and spreads out more. All we have right now is shitty cable internet by some of the greediest corporations with no competition. We have things like Clear, which is 4G, but will never amount to anything besides that "side" internet service. If Google does this right, it may finally make Verizon, Cox, and Comcast (among others) replace their shitty lines and actually give their customers reliable and efficient service that isn't powered by 80 year old lines.

#40 Posted by MorkaiTheWolf (185 posts) -

I seriously hope this trials goes well cause DSL connections are killing me. They charge business class prices in our area for speeds that top out at 1 Mbps because they say I live in a 'at risk' area. What kind of crap is that?

#42 Posted by Binman88 (3687 posts) -

@Vodun said:

@Binman88 said:

@Vodun said:

@Napalm said:

@xaLieNxGrEyx said:

Hipsters.

I'm a designer and I use both Windows and Mac. I also fucking hate the word "creatives"; as if there was some kind of exclusive club for people who create. So programmers don't create things? No need for creative thinking when you're coding and god forbid use Linux.

Yup I hate it too for that exact reason. It's used by people who like to think there are certain prerequisites (outside of knowledge and ability) to being a designer of any kind. All an OS is to me is a graphical interface that helps me organise files and folders, and has the ability to install and launch programs on my hard drive. As long as the OS stays (or can be configured to stay) out of my way, I'm happy.

#43 Posted by Xymox (2088 posts) -

@SoothsayerGB said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

Stop kidding yourself and get in line.

1 corporation government

you heard it here first

Google Chemtrails coming soon TM

#44 Posted by Vodun (2370 posts) -

@Binman88 said:

@Vodun said:

@Binman88 said:

@Vodun said:

@Napalm said:

@xaLieNxGrEyx said:

Hipsters.

Yup I hate it too for that exact reason. It's used by people who like to think there are certain prerequisites (outside of knowledge and ability) to being a designer of any kind. All an OS is to me is a graphical interface that helps me organise files and folders, and has the ability to install and launch programs on my hard drive. As long as the OS stays (or can be configured to stay) out of my way, I'm happy.

QFT

#45 Posted by Brodehouse (9950 posts) -

Fuck man, I want that. How do I get it? How do I get it now? NOW!

#46 Posted by Chaser324 (6546 posts) -

@MorkaiTheWolf: Are you "at risk" of meth heads ripping down all the power lines and stealing all of the copper?

#47 Posted by Benny (1953 posts) -

It's not 1000 megabytes per second, it's around 125.

#48 Posted by Vodun (2370 posts) -
@Napalm Read mine and Binman's other comments. Speaking as what you consider a "creative" you don't know what creativity is and you're talking out your ass.
#49 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2779 posts) -

Every company holding a municipal monopoly on premium TV and internet will be fighting tooth and nail against this if it proves to be a threat. I hope they fight and lose. It really is about time for their (forgive me for the overused word) draconian business model to finally die already. Go Google, go!

#50 Posted by BBAlpert (1475 posts) -

@ThePickle said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

Google Fibre coming soon.

I think this response deserves more credit.