Sorta random but..anyone ever have a EGD done?

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Ok so this is pretty random to ask but honestly this is the only site where I actually use the forums...and I refuse to try and go to health sites as they seem to all scream worse case scenarios.

I'm not asking for a diagnoses or anything..just...looking for information. I'm going to have a EGD done soon and honestly I'm a bit terrified. Sure I've surgery and tests done before, but I have NEVER had anything done like this. For all the surgeries I've been through I was fully asleep for them...but from what I've been told they don't always knock you out for an EGD. Your just ...awake but numbed.

What the heck!? I mean, don't you gag being awake from having a tube put in your throat!?

The long and the short of this is, have you ever had a EGD? If so, how did it go for you? Was it really that bad? Should I not be freaking out about this?

Again duders, sorry for being random hahaha. Thanks for hearing me out.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By htr10

In most instances, you get what's called "conscious sedation" for a procedure like an EGD or colonoscopy. That typically involves an IV medication for pain and an IV medication to make you sleepy. When people say that you are awake for the procedure, they mean that you can be woken up quickly if necessary, but you are definitely not wide awake after you get the medications. The reason that they don't put you to sleep entirely for procedures like this is that then you would need a breathing tube. Do not freak out. These types of procedures are not all-out pleasant, but they tend to be well-tolerated if they are done by a doctor who does them frequently.

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'm terrified of doctors/dentist visits and this sounds terrifying,

However!

I bet it'll be alright duder - you'll be in and out of there in no time with that "modern medicine is awesome" notion.

^_^

MillaJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've had it done more than once. They drugged me pretty hard, so I don't remember the actual procedures. I had a different procedure in which I was partially awake, but I was so doped up I didn't care. There are several types of sedation or anesthesia they can use, and you can ask your doctor to explain their process. I would try not to freak out, and I say that as someone who struggles with anxiety. It's a very common gastro procedure and there's no cutting involved. At most, it might feel a little odd (if you're awake enough to feel it) and you might have a mildly sore throat afterwards. In my case, I felt 100% when I woke up, as if I'd just had a nice nap. Good luck.

DannyHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DannyHibiki

IV administered conscious sedation is no big deal. Had to have it done 3 times so far for minor stuff. They monitor your vitals the whole time so if anything unexpected happens they'll be on top of it. You basically "wake up" (your ability to retain memory returns) after your doctor is done poking around and you're tired the rest of the day and need somebody to drive you home. It's actually less risky overall than being knocked all the way out and you typically recover quicker. You'll be cool duder.

Last time I woke up from a procedure with this shit the doctors were all cracking up from jokes I had apparently told while they had a camera up my ass. You'll be high as hell and won't remember shit. It's a party.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Working for admin in digestive diseases most people find it uncomfortable and not very pleasant however rarely feel anything too extreme. You'll likely be too doped up to truly care though you'll likely be awake unless you insist to be put to sleep, though this will likely delay the procedure as its higher risk. They do occasionally get aborted mid procedure if they think it's too risky or tricky to proceed but it's quite rare for that to happen. Don't worry about it too much, it's probably the most common diagnostic tool in digestive diseases and it's perfectly safe, its uncomfortable and not very pleasant but it's safer for it to be done awake. If you truly feel too anxious to do it on day ask if you can rebook the procedure with general anesthetic.

reverendk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm terrified of doctors/dentist visits and this sounds terrifying,

However!

I bet it'll be alright duder - you'll be in and out of there in no time with that "modern medicine is awesome" notion.

^_^

If it wasn't a HIPAA violation, I'd share some oral surgery pictures from earlier this week. Amniotic is a hell of a thing.

MillaJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Last time I woke up from a procedure with this shit the doctors were all cracking up from jokes I had apparently told while they had a camera up my ass. You'll be high as hell and won't remember shit. It's a party.

Haha, awesome. It definitely is a party. Them's some good drugs.

zagzagovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

That is a bit random indeed but I had it done. It's kind of scary but I think it had more to do with people in the same room having their stomach juices tested theough a different method. In russia we don't drug people so I experienced all of it and can't say it's that bad, the initial moment of it entering your throat is weird but besides some discomfort it didn't hurt or anything, plus you get to see how you look on an inside. It's pretty fast and the feeling of discomfort goes away pretty quick after it's done. So don't worry, it's ok.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank ya'll sooo much! I'd give each one of ya'll a hug if I could. Reading your stories and encouragements is helping me out a ton.

@htr10: Oh man that is good news. I reallly hope they don't have to wake me up and that I just sort of blank out during it.

@voshinova: Thanks duder! Yeah I dislike going to the doctor or dentists as well. I know they are just doing their job and are trying to help me..but man..it's NO fun. Hopefully it will be a quick thing where I don't feel or remember a thing.

@millaj: Seriously helps me to hear that. I don't mind the sore throat part, as long as I don't feel them shoving that tube down my throat.

@dannyhibiki: XD Man I hope I don't say to much crazy crap. I'll have to make sure no one brings a web cam hahaah. Thank you! =)

@yesiamaduck: Man that must be an interesting job. I can handle mild discomfort after its done. Hopefully I won't freak out to badly the day of so that they need to abort or knock me fully out then. I'd rather make it a risk-less as I can.

@reverendk: X_X Oh man I do not envy you for your job. I salute anyone who works in medical care like that...you have to have or develop one heck of a stomach.

@zagzagovich: Wait they didn't sedate you at all? Did they at least numb your mouth/gag relux? Man that is some intense stuff. I do agree, the concept of being able to see what your stomach and stuff look like seems kind of neat. Not sure if I will feel that way during it though hahaha.