Spanish mandatory in a few years?

dr_nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By dr_nefarious

So anyways I was just wondering do you think that Spanish will be mandatory in a few years or so? I bring this up because I've known about this movement in which more school districts in my state of Texas are making spanish mandatory in order to graduate and there can only be one theory to why this is and that's because of the high rise in hispanic population. It's increases exceedingly over the span of just a couple a years and I honestly think that due to this it will be more mandatory to speak the language. Especially if Obama were elected, for he blantedly stated that it should be mandatory and more people should speak it. Discuss!

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By brukaoru

I think it may become more prevalent, but I also think it will become mandatory for those who do not speak English to have to learn the English language, so I think it'll be fair.

Avatar image for americanpegasus
AmericanPegasus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By AmericanPegasus

Hmmm I hope not, I dropped out of Spanish to take Japanese, much more interesting language and culture IMO.

Tiefster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Tiefster

I don't want to say that learning a language is useless but American schools NEED to start offering useful languages.  My school offered Spanish and French.  If you're living in North America guess which one is going to be more useful?  Languages like Spanish, Mandarin, Japanese, and Arabic should be offered in all schools.  I value education but not everyone is going to pursue different languages by themselves.

Just_Insane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Just_Insane

our school mandates 2 years of foreign language and I took french lol...im sticking it to em'

Arestice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Arestice

In my area the high school I went to had it so you had to take 2 years of a foreign language to graduate.
I ended up taking 4 of french - now it's my college major.

Tiefster said:

"I don't want to say that learning a language is useless but American schools NEED to start offering useful languages.  My school offered Spanish and French.  If you're living in North America guess which one is going to be more useful?  Languages like Spanish, Mandarin, Japanese, and Arabic should be offered in all schools.  I value education but not everyone is going to pursue different languages by themselves.
"

However, I don't see why they would offer Japanese in school.
Avatar image for gurfunklebunker
gurfunklebunker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By gurfunklebunker

In Canada, we only had to take one mandatory year of French in high school... And really, I hated it... I would much rather learn Croatian (My father's language) or Chinese, even if it's hard...

Canadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Canadian
Tiefster said:
"I don't want to say that learning a language is useless but American schools NEED to start offering useful languages.  My school offered Spanish and French.  If you're living in North America guess which one is going to be more useful?  Languages like Spanish, Mandarin, Japanese, and Arabic should be offered in all schools.  I value education but not everyone is going to pursue different languages by themselves.
"
Because this is way more useful than, I don't know... Hindi? Punjabi? Urdu?
brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By brukaoru
Arestice said:
"However, I don't see why they would offer Japanese in school."
I don't think public schools would have much interest in offering Japanese, but I would have absolutely loved it if they had, I want to become fluent in Japanese someday. My high school only had two languages to choose from: Spanish or French. I choose Spanish, but I can't remember much of anything from it, lol.
Tiefster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Tiefster
Arestice said:
"In my area the high school I went to had it so you had to take 2 years of a foreign language to graduate.
I ended up taking 4 of french - now it's my college major.

Tiefster said:
"

However, I don't see why they would offer Japanese in school.
"
It's a business language along with Mandarin.  While you may not speak it fluently it's good to know some if you're looking to go into business.  The same can be said for any language but some need to be at least offered in school.  This isn't the mid 20th century, we need to start offering more languages aside from German and French as alternatives to Spanish especially since trade centers have shifted dramatically.  Conversational Spanish should be mandatory at a young age though, leaving room for expansion into different languages once Spanish is close to mastered.
normajean777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By normajean777

my highschool made it mandatory for 2 years of foreign language the year after i graduated so i got lucky but college on the other hand not so lucky we actually are allowed to take ASL as a foreign language and it was actually very interesting so i took it and it was fun.

BD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By BD

I think it should be mandatory to learn another language. There have been studies that show learning and knowing two different language helps the brain in your later years by making one think more when they speak and form ideas. I learned two languages since my school taught full language classes from elementary to high school. I find it really helps me in my day to day communication and even open up more job opportunities. Ofcourse you need to learn both languages well so it can be beneficial. 

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By brukaoru
PwnzerfaustMonk said:
The only Spanish phrase I know is, "Donde esta mis pantalones?"

Good times."

Lol. I still remember enough simple words to know what that question is saying. And to answer your question: I don't know, perhaps check the laundry basket? 
Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#14  Edited By Black_Rose
PwnzerfaustMonk said:
"brukaoru said:
I don't think public schools would have much interest in offering Japanese, but I would have absolutely loved it if they had. My high school only had two languages to choose from: Spanish or French. I choose Spanish, but I can't remember much of anything from it, lol.

The only Spanish phrase I know is, "Donde esta mis pantalones?"

Good times.

"
I lol'd
gurfunklebunker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By gurfunklebunker
brukaoru said:
"Arestice said:
"However, I don't see why they would offer Japanese in school."
I don't think public schools would have much interest in offering Japanese, but I would have absolutely loved it if they had, I want to become fluent in Japanese someday. My high school only had two languages to choose from: Spanish or French. I choose Spanish, but I can't remember much of anything from it, lol.
"
I'm the exact same way with French, but then again, I didn't really care for it...
Avatar image for ultimate_pwr_rngr
Ultimate_pwr_rngr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dear god, I hope not. I'd protest.

jakeroc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jakeroc

French is mandatory to get into Universities in most of Canada (excluding Community College), so it's plausible for Spanish to take that role in the states.

gurfunklebunker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By gurfunklebunker
Jaconius said:
"French is mandatory to get into Universities in most of Canada (excluding Community College), so it's plausible for Spanish to take that role in the states.
"
Seriously? Fuck, I guess my chances at post-secondary education are screwed then...
Arestice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Arestice
Jaconius said:
"French is mandatory to get into Universities in most of Canada (excluding Community College), so it's plausible for Spanish to take that role in the states.
"
I wouldn't think so, it's just because of Quebec that you have to know French isn't it?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61
deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

Christ, if that happens, I'm boned. All those years of French will go right down cette toilette condamnée.

MOSES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MOSES

I took two year of spanish.

I can still remember how to pronounce chocolate and sadly thats about it.

Clean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Clean

it should in California. I mean everyone is coming here

Arestice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Arestice
Clean said:
"it should in California. I mean everyone is coming here
"
It kinda makes me want to cry.
Shocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Shocker

I am not going to spend time learning spanish, I took 2 years and school and I don't remember anything.

Ryan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Ryan_

you never HAVE to learn a language you just choose to so you can understand more people

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By WickedCobra03

I dunno but I will never adopt it.  I don't go speaking German outside home or with friends so I really don't think it should be different for spanish speakers...

dr_nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By dr_nefarious
Arestice said:
"Clean said:
"it should in California. I mean everyone is coming here
"
It kinda makes me want to cry.