#1 Posted by Kenobi (384 posts) -

I've heard about the various box options but I don't know where to start looking. I know I have to stay with Comcast for good internet but I will not continue paying these fees for watching TV where I only watch 15 channels. Help me out guys.

#2 Posted by mlarrabee (2999 posts) -

Is Comcast internet really that good? Most forum threads about ISPs I've seen contain post from former users saying how awful they are. I've never used them myself, so I don't know.

What's your current speed?

#3 Edited by SomeDeliCook (2341 posts) -

200 bucks a month? Are you shitting me? I've been paying 30 bucks a month for internet only at a pretty good Mbps for years. I would just only use the internet and then call up Comcast and bitch someone out that they're charging you too much, trust me, they'll cheapen it

I will say, ATT is horrible in my experience. Multiple times, we got a lower Mbps than what was advertised because "our area didn't allow anything higher" even though we pay the same price and they didn't warn us beforehand, and it also disconnects quite a bit. Only problem I've had with Comcast is pricing issues, but those get resolved with a phone call

#4 Posted by TyCobb (1973 posts) -

Currently paying $70 for Comcast internet because I refuse their TV and phone service everytime they call me since I have Dish and do not want a house phone (Although I should in case I ever need to call 911). I would recommend just cancelling your TV/phone service through them or talk to them about repackaging your plan. Sounds like something is amiss.

#5 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

Fuck Comcast so much. But, they're the only cable internet provider in Denver

#6 Posted by Kenobi (384 posts) -

Well, what are some tv alternatives? I have family that still likes to watch tv like news, tv shows. And some are not good with computers. So... any suggestions?

#7 Posted by thebunnyhunter (1461 posts) -

Buy a Roku and get a subscription to Hulu and / or Netflix, and hook up an antenna for your news. Not exactly the best solution but it works for me.

#8 Edited by That1BlackGuy (217 posts) -

Don't know if you've considered but since I'm" assuming Comcast is one of your only real options, you could get one of their basic cable packages as that's a lot cheaper and you keep the primary and popular channels for the most part.

EDIT: AT&T is not for everyone (they're who I use though) however they have a good amount of U-Verse bundles that you could take a look at and see if anything jumps out at you. You can also build your own package.

Don't do Time Warner they suck and I haven't had much experience with Verizon's offerings and you could always opt for a dish as far as TV.

#9 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1810 posts) -

I am also in the same boat with AT&T, and unfortunately you're really out of luck for getting recommendations from the internet as ISPs vary by region. Sometimes even by a small margin, like across your street.

#10 Posted by crusader8463 (14425 posts) -

Piratebay. Or if you are afraid of it just google free streaming sites and you will get a bunch of sites that let you stream legally.

#11 Posted by Warfare (1641 posts) -

@Kenobi said:

Well, what are some tv alternatives? I have family that still likes to watch tv like news, tv shows. And some are not good with computers. So... any suggestions?

Direct tv.

#12 Edited by PillClinton (3291 posts) -

Straight up ditch TV (as hard as it may be at first, you get used to it, and it frees up some time) and home phone, and if you happen to have Verizon FiOS in your area, fuckin' get it. Their Internet's insanely good. I'm routinely downloading Steam games at over 10MB/s and on Origin sometimes hit 16MB/s for some unknown but very welcome reason. It's a 75/35 Mbps plan for $70.

#13 Posted by Karkarov (3196 posts) -

@mlarrabee said:

Is Comcast internet really that good? Most forum threads about ISPs I've seen contain post from former users saying how awful they are. I've never used them myself, so I don't know.

What's your current speed?

They aren't as bad as the forums imply but they aren't going to blow anyone's mind either. For the most part their high speed internet is very solid just maybe more expensive than it should be.

#14 Posted by Zekhariah (697 posts) -

@Kenobi said:

Maybe grab an Ooma if VOIP service is part of comcast.

If you have a giant cable package, your only talking about something marginally cheaper with comparable internet + satellite TV of a similar package (and you lose video on demand). DSL tends to be way slower, so maybe FIOS for internet if that is an option. But otherwise your probably stuck since it sounds like you don't want to settle for a lesser service level.

And its probably worth keeping in mind that wind and rain lower satellite TV performance to an annoying extent.

#15 Posted by Loopah (133 posts) -

HBO/Showtime shows have got me tied at the hip to my cable package. It's a long shot, I know, but does anyone have any ideas for getting these shows legally without a cable package?

#16 Posted by Slay3r1583 (627 posts) -

Pro Tip: If you see a commercial on TV or ad in the local paper for some kind of special promotion for new customers call up billing. As long as your account is paid in full and you're not like constantly late paying your bill they'll give it to you.

#17 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

@PillClinton said:

Straight up ditch TV (as hard as it may be at first, you get used to it, and it frees up some time) and home phone, and if you happen to have Verizon FiOS in your area, fuckin' get it. Their Internet's insanely good. I'm routinely downloading Steam games at over 10MB/s and on Origin sometimes hit 16MB/s for some unknown but very welcome reason. It's a 75/35 Mbps plan for $70.

This sounds like heaven.

#18 Posted by Kierkegaard (603 posts) -

Antenna and internet is all you need. Streaming is enough TV for me. My family went from 110 a month to 33 a month and haven't looked back.

#19 Posted by PillClinton (3291 posts) -

@Loopah said:

HBO/Showtime shows have got me tied at the hip to my cable package. It's a long shot, I know, but does anyone have any ideas for getting these shows legally without a cable package?

Live in Scandinavia and subscribe to HBO Nordic. That's about it.

@PeasantAbuse said:

@PillClinton said:

This sounds like heaven.

I won't lie, it is rather heavenly. Also, your hat has a hat. I like that.