Spill.com is gone now, new site kickstarter still underway.

• 83 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hello Giantbomb community,

If you're completely unaware, the mega-super-awesome site known as Spill.com is going to be shut down by the end of December by their parent company (OR SO WE WERE TOLD, SCREW YOU HOLLYWOOD.COM), and it really freaking sucks. The site has been going on for eight years now, and to see it all collapsing is just really depressing. The site has provided me with a shitload of entertainment over the years - hell, I'd even actually say that I enjoy their podcasts more than Giantbomb's at times (Don't kill me please). 2013 has already been turning out to be a crappy year, so this was really just a little more crap added onto an already depressing year.

I've seen the site mentioned a few times around here, so I'm sure that some of you are at least partially aware of it.

Here's their website if you're interested in checking them out if you've never heard of them before: Link removed because Hollywood.com are assholes and took the site down early.

For the time being, while Korey gets his site set up, there's http://oneofus.net/. Both Chris (Cyrus) and Martin (Leon) are present on the site, and they do movie review there now as well. They are a bit too chatty when it comes to movie reviews, so it's not quite more of the same, but it's great to hear both Chris and Martin landing on their feet and making themselves at home at a new site. At the moment, Co-host is still unaccounted for, but as others have said, it's a pretty safe bet that he will move onto the same project with Korey, as will Martin. It's probably also a safe bet to say that Chris won't be going with them, since he seems to be quite rooted in his new site now. It's a shame, but I suppose it's just how it'll have to be.

Updates:

Here's what I posted on the second page, a few updates regarding the new site:

-Leon (Martin) will be involved in the new site!

-Korey explains where the money from the kickstarter will be going, but the most important detail here is that he'd really need about 100k to make sure that the site will be funded for an entire year. 30k was just low-balling it, and he claims that it would last him maybe 4 months at the most.

-The new site will have their podcasts, and it's pretty much confirmed that ACoCO will be back! Granted, they probably won't be using the same name due to Hollywood.com owning it, but if you're a fan of it like me, then no matter the name, that's fantastic news!

-He is planning to have a sort of premium system similar to what Giantbomb has, and used listening to the podcasts live as an example of the extra content that could be provided for the service, among other things.

If you wish to donate to the kickstarter to help these guys out, then please visit: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/573779592/it-aint-going-down-like-that-korey-colemans-new-si. ALL of the additional money that he gains will go towards the site, since the original goal of 30,000 was intentionally a low amount of money, because he didn't know how much people would be interested in a new site. Let's try to get this thing to 100k guys!

Controversy:

And since some members of the site have already brought it up in the comments below, I figure I'll just use the opening post to make a few things clear. After Ryan's unfortunate passing, they had a news podcast in which they reported his death, and one member made a very bad joke about how his wife may have killed him. The very next podcast he apologized for this horrible joke, and I sincerely hope you guys won't hold this against them. If you do hold it against them however, then please don't bother posting in this thread that you hope they won't succeed, because all that will do is make me feel bad, and though I doubt you really care about how an anonymous person on the internet feels, I beg you to just leave that shit out of the thread, please.

Bad Joke stated here: Sorry, site's down now.

Apology stated here: Sorry, site's down now.

Sorry I don't have the exact times they say the things, but if you skip around, you'll find them. Now I beg of you, please forgive and forget.

Thank you.

P.S. If you do berate them, I promise I won't lash out from now on, but I can guarantee that I won't think nice things about you.

Jothel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Jothel

That's a shame, did enjoy their reviews!

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

I've never heard of the site...I'm sure dude will land on his feet though.

Avatar image for weegieanawrench
weegieanawrench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Bummer, I enjoyed watching/listening to their reviews. They always had a great banter going on between them.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6  Edited By Seppli

Since the end of the LEOG, I've tuned in less and less (guess me not playing any MMOs currently added to that too). I enjoyed Spill.com and hate to see it go though.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

Man this sucks. Spill.com had been my go to place for Movie Reviews for years and the reviews were freaking hilarious. Though at times I've been critical on Spill here on Giantbomb, I wish I never made those posts such a big deal to begin with. That said, this really sucks. Hope Korey's kickstarter is a success to start something new though.

iceman228433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By iceman228433

I have to say next to Giantbomb, Spill.com was my next favorite site I loved those guys and there Reviews so much I was very sad when they said it was shutting down, but just like Giantbomb maybe something even better can rise up so I donated money and I hope they pull it off.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wanted to link it, but I was afraid it would be considered spam. If you guys did enjoy it though, please donate! I love these guys and don't wanna see em go!

@seppli said:

Since the end of the LEOG, I've tuned in less and less (guess me not playing any MMOs currently added to that too). I enjoyed Spill.com and hate to see it go though.

They actually do THEOG over at OneOfUs.net now, which is pretty much the same exact thing. Here's a link if you're interested:

http://oneofus.net/the-new-original-gentlemen/

Bummer, I enjoyed watching/listening to their reviews. They always had a great banter going on between them.

I know right? It's my favorite movie reviewing site because of how strong their banter is between them all. They argue and fight, but in the end it's all in good fun.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This makes me really happy, the Kickstarter was launched barely an hour ago and it's almost at 1/5 of the way funded. Man, maybe this year doesn't have to end on such a sour internet note after all, haha.

wackojackman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to enjoy their stuff, but I went off them at some point... can't remember when exactly. Think it was round the time that they changed their review format a bit. That said I mainly watched them through YouTube and never really jumped to their site, which was what their YT videos seemed to urge you to do.

Regardless it's never nice to hear something like that is coming to an end, hope stuff works out for them.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to enjoy their stuff, but I went off them at some point... can't remember when exactly. Think it was round the time that they changed their review format a bit. That said I mainly watched them through YouTube and never really jumped to their site, which was what their YT videos seemed to urge you to do.

Regardless it's never nice to hear something like that is coming to an end, hope stuff works out for them.

Yeah, I actually dropped off for a while due to that too. I liked their older video review format a lot more, and I hated how it became more like skits than actual reviews. Though lately they've been doing sort of a mix between the two now, and I think it's a lot better. They also dropped off putting reviews up on Youtube because Korey talked about how they would get copyright claims from the TRAILER footage, which is why I think they switched to the more skit-like format instead.

wackojackman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@random45: It's understandable that they tried to direct viewers to their site and I respect the fact they were trying to do things on their own terms, but yeah the skit thing really turned me off. There is all this nasty business to do with Youtube and copyright lately which I guess could strike up a whole other debate.

Is there any mention why the site is closing down?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wackojackman:

I don't know the exact reasons, so I'd guess that Hollywood.com just doesn't think it's worth funding anymore for whatever reason. Earlier in the year in May they had cut funding to the site and forced Korey to layoff half of the site's crew, including the folks from the awesome Loading Bar podcast. I think Hollywood.com just didn't really know what to do with the site at all, which is a real shame.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

10,000 dollars, holy crap! I've never been this thrilled to see a kickstarter get closer to it's goal. If any of you guys have donated to this, thank you a ton!

With another month for this to go down, I'm very confident that it'll hit its goal. Thank god! I didn't want to see one of my favorite sites go down the drain! Granted, they'll probably have to re-brand themselves, but I'm glad that they'll still be doing their own thing, and they'll also be independent now, so nothing like this will happen again.

Man, I'm just feeling fantastic right now.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By AMyggen

I never got into any of their podcasts and Cyrus has always seemed like a dick. Still, enjoyed their audio reviews. Cool to see that this new project will be more than funded.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seppli said:

Same

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amyggen said:

I never got into any of their podcasts and Cyrus has always seemed like a dick. Still, enjoyed their audio reviews. Cool to see that this new project will be more than funded.

I agree somewhat - Cyrus definitely comes off as a bit pompous and rude at times, but it's a very good contrast to the rest of the crew.

@seppli said:

Same

Here's a link to them doing the same thing but on a different site if you're interested:

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*kills you*

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-649f07b15d7b8
deactivated-649f07b15d7b8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They should roll them into Giantbomb. Very similar in spirit, these two sites.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drewmaw said:

They should roll them into Giantbomb. Very similar in spirit, these two sites.

Wow, wouldn't that be something? Though I think the internet would simply explode due to the sheer amount of awesome that such a thing would create.

Also, nearly halfway to the goal!

CashBailey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember a time when I was really into Spill, but a few things really began to annoy me so I stopped listening for a while.

I still go back and check them out occasionally, and I know how incredibly hard Korey has worked for this site and threatened to shut the site down himself during several dark times. It's a damn shame they may have to fold. The animated reviews are always really fun to watch.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By phantomzxro

Yeah it sucks big fan of their work hope they can grow into something else and keep doing what they do. I would also love for them to maybe work with rage select (was loading bar on the site) again now that they both are removed from hollywood.com

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah it sucks big fan of their work hope they can grow into something else and keep doing what they do. I would also love for them to maybe work with rage select (was loading bar on the site) again now that they both are removed from hollywood.com

Yeah, it would be cool if they were to get back together if Korey got enough funding.

MannyMAR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shoot, when I first saw the news I called my friend who does their animation work to see if she needed some work, but now that I've seen that their Kickstarter's doing well I think that it won't be necessary.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mannymar said:

Shoot, when I first saw the news I called my friend who does their animation work to see if she needed some work, but now that I've seen that their Kickstarter's doing well I think that it won't be necessary.

Yep! Looks like this won't be the end after all. The campaign is almost 100% funded after only like 6 hours.

Any additional funds over 30k will only go towards helping this even more, and I really look forward to seeing Korey and the crew's reaction to their community raising the funds in less than TWELVE HOURS. Woo! This is great news indeed.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

oh you mean the guys who made jokes about Ryan's wife killing him yeah okay fuck those guys

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

I didn't visit there site that often, but I really did enjoy those video reviews they did.

iceman228433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well they made it to 30k already shows there is still some good in this world.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oh you mean the guys who made jokes about Ryan's wife killing him yeah okay fuck those guys

They apologized about that and said it was in bad taste. Of course, people like you who sent them death threats and stuff were also out of line as well.

Well they made it to 30k already shows there is still some good in this world.

Yep! Fully funded! Makes me happy to see it looking so good!

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Fuck spill.com.

Fuck them and their Ryan is fat and should've lived a more healthy life comments only a few days after he passed with no knowledge of what caused his death.

Especially fuck the guy who said...

I and quote...

"Maybe his new wife stabbed him to death, who knows."

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By LikeaSsur

@random45 said:

Now, I'm a proud man, I know that maybe we've had our differences at times, and I don't want to come across as begging, but Korey - the creator of the site - has started a kickstarter to try and do something new. He'll be creating a new site and trying to do the things that I and his community love. I'm not going to directly link to it, because I think that'll make this a spam post, but if you have any heart, please donate. There's a link to it directly on their homepage, and I implore you all to help keep this awesomeness going.

Weird, this sounds very similar to what Korey says in the Kickstarter video, but congrats on it getting funded.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I visited the website once. I liked the cartoons. That's all I remember. I guess that's enough.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@random45 said:

@metalgearsunny said:

They apologized about that and said it was in bad taste. Of course, people like you who sent them death threats and stuff were also out of line as well.

<_<

....yeah, I am totally one of those people who send death threats. I don't care enough about them to contact them and I think it's better if they're just ignored.

Please don't make assumptions about me or put me under a broad, disgusting umbrella.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@metalgearsunny said:

@random45 said:

@metalgearsunny said:

<_<

....yeah, I am totally one of those people who send death threats. I don't care enough about them to contact them and I think it's better if they're just ignored.

Please don't make assumptions about me or put me under a broad, disgusting umbrella.

If you don't want me making assumptions about you, then don't say something so horribly rude. Only one member of the site even said that, and like I said, he apologized for it. Wanting this to fail simply due to that is just as out of line as the death threats as far as I'm concerned.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flstyle said:

Fuck spill.com.

Fuck them and their Ryan is fat and should've lived a more healthy life comments only a few days after he passed with no knowledge of what caused his death.

I and quote...

Ryan WAS fat and should have lived a healthier life, denying that is just being dumb. The reason he died was due to how overweight he was. I love the guy and was devastated as much as the next person, but seriously, if someone you're not close to died and you didn't have much of a connection to it, you're not going to be as sensitive to the topic as others are.

Also, he apologized for what was quoted, and he acknowledged that it was far out of line.

Come on Giantbomb, I know you're more mature than this.

Edit: And how was this any different than the MANY people making fun of Paul Walker dying in a car accident in the thread where his death was announced? So it's ok if it's someone not close to you? Do you practice this double standard everywhere?

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Please let's not make this about those Ryan comments. Dumb thing to say, they apologized, let's move on. And no need tp get so damn defensive about it, Random46.

Good to see that they've reached their goal already. 30k seemed very low for starting a new site, so they needed more and it's cool that they're getting it.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@random45 said:

@flstyle said:

Fuck spill.com.

I and quote...

Ryan WAS fat and should have lived a healthier life, denying that is just being dumb. The reason he died was due to how overweight he was. I love the guy and was devastated as much as the next person, but seriously, if someone you're not close to died and you didn't have much of a connection to it, you're not going to be as sensitive to the topic as others are.

Also, he apologized for what was quoted, and he acknowledged that it was far out of line.

Come on Giantbomb, I know you're more mature than this.

Edit: And how was this any different than the MANY people making fun of Paul Walker dying in a car accident in the thread where his death was announced? So it's ok if it's someone not close to you? Do you practice this double standard everywhere?

1. What exactly am I supposed to be denying?
  2. Who is Paul Walker and why am I being accused of making fun of his (apparent?) death and therefore having double standards?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flstyle: Look, your comment pissed me off and I'm sorry. Let's just move on like AMyggen said.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@random45 said:

@metalgearsunny said:

@random45 said:

@metalgearsunny said:

<_<

If you don't want me making assumptions about you, then don't say something so horribly rude. Only one member of the site even said that, and like I said, he apologized for it. Wanting this to fail simply due to that is just as out of line as the death threats as far as I'm concerned.

ok so

Death = not liking a website

got it...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@metalgearsunny:
Look, your comment pissed me off, and I'm sorry. As long as you understand my point of view, I really don't care what you think of Spill at all.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amyggen said:

Please let's not make this about those Ryan comments. Dumb thing to say, they apologized, let's move on. And no need tp get so damn defensive about it, Random46.

Good to see that they've reached their goal already. 30k seemed very low for starting a new site, so they needed more and it's cool that they're getting it.

Well of course I'm going to get offended and defensive if someone just comes in and says something like "Fuck Them" since I'm such a huge fan of the site, however, I see your point, and I'll stop talking about it. Also, I'm Random45, not 46, that's my brother. Gawd.

And yeah, he just updated the Kickstarter saying that he'll be posting video updates soon! I'm really looking forward to it.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@random45 said:

@seppli said:

They actually do THEOG over at OneOfUs.net now, which is pretty much the same exact thing. Here's a link if you're interested:

Thanks for the heads-up.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#45  Edited By TheHT

Loading Video...

mina_mina752

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

spill.com is closed ? well...no use crying over the SPILLed milk !

nyahahaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theht said:

@metalgearsunny said:

Loading Video...

It was a bad joke and they apologized for it the very next day after the justified public outcry. Can we please stop dwelling on this?

Also, the Kickstarter has reached 50k dollars!

tsutohiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By tsutohiro

Dear Spill.con,

You suck. You have no class. You don't know what the the fuck is what.

Die in the fire of a an actual barn house fire. Yeah.

How do you like them apples?

I guess I'll just apologize later and it'll all be gravy?

Go fuck yourself and the horse you rode in on Cyrus.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By probablytuna

Never heard of Spill.com until now.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tsutohiro said:

Dear Spill.con,

You suck. You have no class. You don't know what the the fuck is what.

Die in the fire of a an actual barn house fire. Yeah.

How do you like them apples?

I guess I'll just apologize later and it'll all be gravy?

Go fuck yourself and the horse you rode in on Cyrus.

Well, part of being an adult is being able to forgive others when they commit a wrong. Holding a grudge for this long is unhealthy.

He apologized for it, and even if he didn't mean it, that meant it's time to move on.

Please, please, please, stop dwelling on this one black mark on their history.