• 83 results
#51 Posted by ch3burashka (5238 posts) -

Never heard of Spill.com until now.

I feel like this is that moment when people say, "Giant Bomb? What's that?" and you think they're insane that they haven't heard of it until that moment. I'm assuming Spill isn't anywhere near as big or known, but I'd never heard of it as well. Based of various comments here, I don't know if that's a good or bad thing.

#52 Posted by probablytuna (3822 posts) -

@probablytuna said:

I feel like this is that moment when people say, "Giant Bomb? What's that?" and you think they're insane that they haven't heard of it until that moment. I'm assuming Spill isn't anywhere near as big or known, but I'd never heard of it as well. Based of various comments here, I don't know if that's a good or bad thing.

From my experience, Giant Bomb is still a pretty niche site because a lot of my friends who play a lot of games have no idea what Giant Bomb is. It can get a little frustrating when I can't share my love of GB with them.

#53 Edited by Random45 (1278 posts) -

@ch3burashka said:

@probablytuna said:

They do a bunch of movie reviews and a ton of podcasts, very similar to the Giantbomb crew actually.

The one thing people here keep referring to is back when Ryan died, they made an off-hand joke that his wife might have killed him. It's was very poor in taste, and the next day they apologized for it since they knew that it was in poor taste. Fortunately, most people moved on after that, but as this thread showed, there are some people who can't let bygones be bygones.

The site has been around for seven years, and it's fantastic. I urge you to check it out, I promise that they don't make jokes like that ever. Usually it's just the guys making fun of themselves or their fanbase (in a fun kind of way). Though the site is going to be shut down in a few weeks, so hurry up if you DO want to see them, haha.

Edit:

Here's a link to some of their best reviews to get you started if you're interested:

Movie 43: Korey and Co-Host review in which they HATE this awful movie. One of the funniest reviews on the site in my opinion, because it's not so much a review as it is them slamming the movie for being so horribly bad.http://spill.hollywood.com/Audio/AudioPost.aspx?audioId=1526

12 Years a Slave: Interesting to listen to since 3/4 of the crew is of African descent. http://spill.hollywood.com/Audio/AudioPost.aspx?audioId=1924

One Direction: This is Us: This review is another hilarious one that kind of derails a bit when Co-host tells HIS experience with going to a theater full of pre-teen girls. It's freaking hilarious to listen to him talk about it. http://spill.hollywood.com/Audio/AudioPost.aspx?audioId=1854

And there's HUNDREDS more - their Twilight reviews are also a lot of fun to listen to.

#54 Posted by leinad44 (533 posts) -

Been a big fan of their's for years. Yeah they slip up now and again, but hey they apologise. Luckily their kickstarter for another site has gotten funded.

#55 Posted by theriddler81 (13 posts) -

oh you mean the guys who made jokes about Ryan's wife killing him yeah okay fuck those guys

So you hate everyone of them because one guy from the site made a inappropriate joke? That's comparable to some non-black person having an vendetta against all black people because a member of the black race committed some sort of crime against them.

#56 Edited by CornBREDX (5956 posts) -

Never heard of them. I'm sure they'll figure something out. Most websites close down eventually. That's how it is.

Edit: @theriddler81 : nope, it's not like that at all.

#57 Edited by theriddler81 (13 posts) -

Never heard of them. I'm sure they'll figure something out. Most websites close down eventually. That's how it is.

Edit: @theriddler81 : nope, it's not like that at all.

Yes it is.

#58 Posted by Random45 (1278 posts) -

He has raised almost double his goal in just two days. If any of you have donated, I thank you immensely. Hearing that their site would be closing down was devastating to me, but seeing that now a new site will be coming back up with even bigger and better possibilities, and considering they will be independent now, I'm feeling better than I have all week.

Again I'd just like to apologize for my behavior towards the detractors in this thread, it was out of line of me, and I hope that didn't reflect poorly on the Spill crew. Please check out their work if you haven't already, since if you like Quick Looks, then I'm positive that you'll enjoy their reviews.

#59 Posted by TruthTellah (9468 posts) -

@random45: Thanks for apologizing. It sounds like you genuinely do care about this site, and it looks like it might be alright. I think it was wrong of you to act so belligerent here, but I understand people can get worked up at times. I hope you'll be more considerate in the future and your site can rebound from this little scare. Good luck with it.

#60 Edited by Random45 (1278 posts) -

@truthtellah said:

@random45:

Thanks for apologizing. It sounds like you genuinely do care about this site, and it looks like it might be alright. I think it was wrong of you to act so belligerent

here, but I understand people can get worked up at times. I hope you'll be more considerate in the future and your site can rebound from this little scare. Good luck with it.

Yeah, this has been a learning experience all right. I'll definitely think before I act out from now on, and thanks for the message.

Edit: And yeah, I love these guys a lot. I've been following them for years now, and an insult towards them feels like an insult towards me. I suppose that's how you guys feel about Ryan though. I only started really following Giantbomb last year, so I can see why his death didn't affect me as much as the people who dislike the Spill crew for one member's comment.

#61 Posted by CharlesDA (61 posts) -

Glad to hear that they are going to try to make a new site, and that the kickstarter is doing well. I don't listen to their stuff anywhere near as much as I used to, but I still check in every once in a while. I know they've had a rough year, but I didn't think it would come to this.

#62 Edited by Random45 (1278 posts) -

Some new details that Korey has released from his recent ACoCO podcast:

-Leon (Martin) will be involved in the new site!
-Korey explains where the money from the kickstarter will be going, but the most important detail here is that he'd really need about 100k to make sure that the site will be funded for an entire year. 30k was just low-balling it, and he claims that it would last him maybe 4 months at the most.
-The new site will have their podcasts, and it's pretty much confirmed that ACoCO will be back! Granted, they probably won't be using the same name due to Hollywood.com owning it, but if you're a fan of it like me, then no matter the name, that's fantastic news!
-He is planning to have a sort of premium system similar to what Giantbomb has, and used listening to the podcasts live as an example of the extra content that could be provided for the service, among other things.

It's still uncertain whether Cyrus or Co-Host will be involved, but I think it's a pretty good bet that Co-host will be a part of it. Given his job at Oneofus.net, I'm uncertain as to whether Cyrus will be involved or not.

I'll provide more updates as more details come to light. It's thrilling to see how much progress is being made towards this new site though, and as always, thanks to those of you who have donated to the kickstarter! It means a lot to everyone involved that you want to keep such an awesome team of people afloat in rough times.

#63 Edited by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

I have a few questions.

1. Do they review games?

2. If so, what did they score Assassin's Creed 2?

3. If the above answer is lower than 40% than we must save them at all costs.

#64 Posted by Random45 (1278 posts) -

I have a few questions.

1. Do they review games?

1. No, they don't review games. It's primarily a movie review site. They used to have a podcast called The Loading Bar on the site which dealt with games, but it was one of the few podcasts I didn't really care for. They probably covered Assassin's Creed 2, but I couldn't tell you what they scored it or if they liked it, haha.

#65 Posted by andrew2696 (356 posts) -

Oh man I used to watch a lot of Spill reviews. Spill always surprised me when I saw someone mention them or that they were involved in something. Like I think they had some presence during RTX Rooster Teeth thing. Their website always look kind of bad though.

Hope Korey's new website is good though.

#66 Edited by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

@random45 said:

@xalienxgreyx said:

I have a few questions.

1. Do they review games?

1. No, they don't review games. It's primarily a movie review site. They used to have a podcast called The Loading Bar on the site which dealt with games, but it was one of the few podcasts I didn't really care for. They probably covered Assassin's Creed 2, but I couldn't tell you what they scored it or if they liked it, haha.

Yeah I looked into it and saw it was a movie website

#67 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5975 posts) -

I've never really heard of spill.com till now, but I hope they're able to work things out for themselves.

#68 Posted by PandaBear (1384 posts) -

The next dot com crash is upon us if even Spill.com can't survive.

#69 Posted by tsutohiro (364 posts) -

@random45: I was harsh in my earlier post and basically broke the first rule. My bad. I got caught up in the moment, reliving the comments made by spill when Ryan had just passed away. You're right though, mistakes should be forgiven. Jokes made in poor taste and with terrible timing might be on the top of the list, and I do believe Cyrus wishes he could take his comments back. You seem like a decent guy and didn't mean to offend you or derail your thread.

#70 Edited by Random45 (1278 posts) -

@tsutohiro: Don't worry friend, I definitely could have handled it better myself too. I wish I could strangle my past self for being an idiot, but eh, that's life right? Don't worry about it, I'm not holding it against you.

#71 Edited by senrat (329 posts) -

Spill.com audio and video reviews have caused me to laugh my ass off over the years, I definately want to see them continue.

#72 Edited by blackichigo (177 posts) -

Wow...there are some despicable people on this website. Spill was a great site that ran for over six years and built with one of the most amazing and supportive communities I have ever seen on the internet. You want to damn an entire group of people for one comment that was in bad taste and immediately apologized for, go ahead. But, you can keep this "holier than thou" bullshit. Everyone who pointed a finger at Cyrus/Chris, has said something just as bad if not worse and probably didn't have the courage to apologize for it after.

The beauty of Spill was just so simple. Four guys who love movies sat down and talked about them. The chemistry between is just astonishing. Chemistry like that can only come through years of just being friends. It make me sad the never really got to meet with them face to face.They all seem like really great people, Korey especially. That man has opened his home to fans just passing though town and need a place to stay. Who does that?

It hurts to seeing them go and I hope the next thing they do is as good, if not stronger than Spill ever was.

#73 Edited by Little_Socrates (5711 posts) -

Done with Spill after Korey threw my copy of Zardoz out the window or whatever on ACoCo and cussed me out for five minutes for giving him "a gag gift" and then never responding to my apology.

Act like an ass for years and you'll chase away your fanbase. Hopefully, someone better will rise up in the fall of the Spill name.

#74 Posted by altairre (1276 posts) -

@random45 said:

He has raised almost double his goal in just two days. If any of you have donated, I thank you immensely. Hearing that their site would be closing down was devastating to me, but seeing that now a new site will be coming back up with even bigger and better possibilities, and considering they will be independent now, I'm feeling better than I have all week.

Again I'd just like to apologize for my behavior towards the detractors in this thread, it was out of line of me, and I hope that didn't reflect poorly on the Spill crew. Please check out their work if you haven't already, since if you like Quick Looks, then I'm positive that you'll enjoy their reviews.

What is going on in this thread? People acting resonable on the internet? The things you see...

@topic: I'm glad these guys got their new project financed. I used to check them out every now and then but the movie reviews couldn't keep my attention. It was pretty good but I just stopped listening. This thread actually made me listen to a more recent review and I'll be interested in what they do next. They seem passionate about what they're doing.

#75 Posted by Random45 (1278 posts) -

Done with Spill after Korey threw my copy of Zardoz out the window or whatever on ACoCo and cussed me out for five minutes for giving him "a gag gift" and then never responding to my apology.

Act like an ass for years and you'll chase away your fanbase. Hopefully, someone better will rise up in the fall of the Spill name.

I can't imagine Korey actually meaning that, considering he has a guy who always sends him dick presents for Christmas and his birthday every year. Do you know which podcast that was? Korey does have a habit of saying something really rude and then taking it back claiming it's a joke, so that could potentially be what it was. He has claimed recently that he is responding to every email due to the closure of Spill.com, so if you're interested in getting a reply back on that, you could attempt to email him now, since I'm sure he'll answer it this time.

#76 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1849 posts) -

Well you did send them a copy of Zardoz............

#77 Posted by DeadPan (346 posts) -

I think 100k will be reached. 78k in four days is awesome and there will be a surge at the end.

As for the new site, Cyrus is done once Spill stop paying him. He was burned when the layoffs happened and Korey had to let go 3 of his best friends. If he comes, fine if not then im cool with that too. Least favourite member. Co-Host 3000 will be coming as THE SAGA MUST CONTINUE!!!

Korey will learn from this and him having control is better for the site

#78 Edited by CashBailey (805 posts) -

@deadpan said:

Co-Host 3000 will be coming as THE SAGA MUST CONTINUE!!!e

I like Co-Host 3000. Although one of the reasons I had to stop listening to 'Let's Do This' is because for a long time Co-Host didn't know how to use a microphone and every sentence would start out clear and audible, but as he spoke he always faded out like he was moving away from the mic. So it became a constant loud-to-soft that became incredibly annoying. And there is nothing worse than inconsistent audio on a podcast.

Is Billy Brooks still on that show? He's very funny but was often overwhelming.

#79 Edited by Random45 (1278 posts) -

And the site is officially gone. Clicking the link to the Spill.com site will instead redirect you to Hollywood.com. Talk about a kick in the nuts - Hollywood.com gave them absolutely NO warning that the site would go down before the end of the December, and they took it down without even informing anyone about it.

Korey's Facebook post simply says: "Hey everyone. I'm not really in a position to say anything about Spill being down. I had no idea until now. I'll keep you posted on as much as I can." This was posted 2 hours ago, and nothing has been stated since.

What a very dirty, rotten, dickish move for Hollywood to pull.

I've read that Korey putting up the Kickstarter information on his site really ticked Hollywood.com off though, and he had to remove the post regarding the Kickstarter, as well as any podcast mentioning it (which he did), so I don't know if doing this was some sort of petty revenge or what. Still, it's infuriating to not even get so much as a warning about this.

Hollywood.com can go die in a fire for all I care, and Korey will be SO much better off without those pieces of crap dictating what he can or can't do.

I was REALLY hoping Hollywood would keep the site up at least for a little while so I could still listen to the podcasts and such. Stupid freaking... grumble grumble.

#82 Posted by Random45 (1278 posts) -

Korey finally uploaded a video detailing what the budget for the new site will be, and the video itself is pretty funny, haha.

Here's the video Right here!

Still no update on why Hollywood.com decided to shut down the site two weeks early, but at least this update makes me feel more at ease now. There's a rumor going around that perhaps Hollywood.com will try to claim the Kickstarter money, but I really doubt that it's true. In any case, I'll post more here when more becomes available, because I have nowhere else to go anymore to discuss this stuff, so if that annoys you then I'm sorry, but that's just how it's gonna be.

Have a good night!

#83 Edited by CashBailey (805 posts) -

@random45 said:

Korey finally uploaded a video detailing what the budget for the new site will be, and the video itself is pretty funny, haha.

Here's the video Right here!

Still no update on why Hollywood.com decided to shut down the site two weeks early, but at least this update makes me feel more at ease now. There's a rumor going around that perhaps Hollywood.com will try to claim the Kickstarter money, but I really doubt that it's true. In any case, I'll post more here when more becomes available, because I have nowhere else to go anymore to discuss this stuff, so if that annoys you then I'm sorry, but that's just how it's gonna be.

Have a good night!

Sounds like just a typical petty dickhead corporate move. They were probably pissed at Korey for going so hard in his Kickstarter campaign while the site was officially still running.

I know in the past he would often mention having to go to New York for meetings and that things were not exactly smooth between him and Hollywood.com. I'm not too surprised this happenedm, but I always expected Korey to be the one to leave.

#84 Posted by Random45 (1278 posts) -

Alright, things are beginning to get rolling! If you want to sign up for the new site now, Korey has made a new site where you can enter in your username and email to register: http://koreycoleman.com./

And since Spill.com was shut down, you figured there'd be no more Acoco right? I did too, but Korey has started a podcast with Martin again: https://soundcloud.com/kcoolman. It's a bit shorter than I'd like, but a little Acoco is better than no Acoco at all.

#85 Edited by manbot47 (242 posts) -

If it weren't for Spill there's a lot of stuff i wouldn't have checked out. It was sad to see it go but reading some other peoples replies it didn't come as much of a shock that they went belly up. Like a lot of other people I stopped checking in regularly a while ago, about a year and a half, and every time I went back things were ending, line ups were changing, and it all seemed like a mess. And Korey always seemed moody and down, like he knew this day was probably coming; like a ship slowly sinking.