Spoiler sensitive people are the downfall of the society.

• 106 results
JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No one can talk about anything freely anymore. You know what happens when something gets spoiled for me? Nothing, because I'm whats called an adult. Think about how much better all podcasts would be people could talk freely about anything. I wanna tell you about this really cool or bad thing. oh wait I can't because people would get angry upon learning there is an ice level in this game. How terrible are your lives, that you'd get mad over something like that?

Spoiler sensitive people are actively destroying excitement and enthusiasm. Since everything is a spoiler. That only leaves us with the most bland and boring conversations possible. So to all you spoiler sensitive people, please on behalf of all mankind lighten up.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I used to be like you. But then I decided to see the middle ground to the argument.

Everything in life is a 50/50 issue. Ok maybe not everything.

I don't get mad at spoilers but, as ironic as it sounds, there are some things I would prefer not to spoil for others, such as if there is a plot twist in a game that I thought was neat. Though, I can't remember the example I was thinking of when I had this realization.

Also, you listen to podcasts.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By JZ

@egg: no your right everything is 50/50. Because that means it either happens or it does not. Everything ever will ether happen or not.

You'll die tomorrow or you won't. You'll win the lottery or you won't.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

You-you're the downfall of society...man.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@jz said:

Nothing, because I'm whats called an adult.

(the attitude of your post is arguing otherwise)

I think it's safe to assume that we both love games. The people that make them dedicate their lives to giving us these amazing experiences. And the good ones are meticulously planned and designed to unravel in a specific way for the player. When I already know about a part of that experience going into it, it's diminished for me. If it doesn't affect you, then that's great, but it affects me (and clearly many others), so I can't see at all what pain there is in accommodating us and the creators by not exposing parts of an experience to those of us who don't want to know. But that certainly doesn't mean stifling conversation.

I assume you were moved to write this in response to Brad talking about the TLoU DLC on the latest Bombcast. Having not been able to play the main game yet, I hit stop, so I don't know what was talked about exactly, but I hope he spoiled everything he wanted to. That by itself is not a problem at all. They could just take the extra 5 minutes to say, "Spoilers for ____ from __ to __". I'll skip it and be happy not having that experience revealed, and you can listen to it happily hearing whatever. It isn't a one or the other thing. Just as in these forums, we're all free to spoil anything we want, as long as we take the second to click a button that helps people who want to play their game fresh.

When it takes almost no effort to appease a simple, reasonable request that doesn't even need to diminish conversations, this shouldn't even need to be said.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By egg

By 50/50 I meant there is a middle ground to any disagreement. I was joking though because it's obviously not true.

Spoilers are another story though. Although people overreact to spoilers and act entitled, I think we can all agree that doesn't make it ok for people to go around spoiling everything that just came out just for the hell of it.

I think a simple spoiler warning before a podcast should suffice. Why not just do that.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TruthTellah

It's like you're saying showing greater consideration for others over yourself is the downfall of society...

Ever considered that... you're the downfall of society?
JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshwent: you know what they say about assuming, right?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

If you were surprised by something, then be respectful and allow others to enjoy the surprise too.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jz said:

you know what they say about assuming, right?

That it makes you ignore my actual response to you entirely?

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JZ

@truthtellah: you could also not seek out information you don't want. It's like parents that buy their kids GTA 5 and then complain about their kids playing GTA 5.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@jz said:

@truthtellah: you could also not seek out information you don't want. It's like parents that buy their kids GTA 5 and then complain about their kids playing GTA 5.

The difference is you put the spoiler in your thread title.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JZ

@joshwent: well you didn't really respond to me either. You just made some assumptions and stated your own beliefs.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh, I find people who whine about people getting upset over spoilers with no warning even worse.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: that was not a spoiler. I did not say any plot twists or final bosses or anything that would be spoiler to any normal person.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Yummylee

Also, for anybody confused, the topic at hand is related to his thread getting deleted, because the title stated that there's a *Dark Souls II spoiler, sorta* coffin boat thing that once you go into it, it'll then change the sex of your character.

It's not really that much of a spoiler, and in fact it was found out via an interview (<-- link to interview) involving the voice actor Peter Serafinowicz. Although... actually, I'll just repost what I said in the other thread:

I would ordinarily consider it an unfair deletion on the account that it was information found from an official interview. However, even Peter was a little iffy on explaining what had happened, and his enthusiasm is what most likely took over in his excitement to explain such a peculiar series of events. The fact that it's technically 'hidden', by virtue of the prompt being ''examine'', means that the developers obviously want players to be surprised by the results. After all, because of the Souls series' vague narratives, mechanics and actual gameplay hijinks are more accountable as spoilers than story stuff.

And of course most importantly, this was a voice actor laying out the information and not a PR guy or developer or anything like that, speaking with a lady from Sony (I gather anywhoo), again, rather than a developer. I'm not surprised to see that it was deleted anyway, even if I personally (nor many other users in the thread) wasn't too bothered by the revelation.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jz said:

The difference is when it pops up in a general glance at a forum. So, sure, putting spoilers in a thread is fine; it's when you put spoilers in titles that can cause issues. If you want to talk spoilers, just warn that there will be spoilers and say what you're gonna say.

Just show some basic consideration for others and put a warning. It's really not that difficult. Spoilers are talked about all the time just fine. :)

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People who read books just spoil TV shows for others are the downfall to society.

That is something a crazy person would do.
That is something a crazy person would do.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And for the record, I thought it was an amazing title. I feel like it should have been edited into something more vague instead, but eh, that's to their discretion.

It was a spoiler for that kind of game(as is inherent in a secret like that which some people won't be surprised by now), but I understand your excitement in wanting to share it.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By JZ
TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TruthTellah

@jz said:

@truthtellah: saying things like I don't have basic consideration, is ridiculous. How are you going to feel when something actually bad happens to you?

That's not what I'm saying...

I'm just saying that it's a little extra consideration for others; it's not a big deal. I'm sure you have plenty of regard for others; thus, why you'd reasonably show that consideration in something like this. If I didn't think you cared about being considerate, I wouldn't suggest a way to be more considerate.

Many times, a lack of consideration is just someone not understanding how they can be more considerate. :)

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought the title was perfect. And yeah it was a spoiler. But who cares. Its a minor thing in the game. There will many more things to discover in the game. If you don't want to know anything about the game, like period. Why are you looking at topics in the games forum in the first place. Come on people. This one is in off-topic. The first one was in the Dark Souls II forum.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Yummylee

@jz: Oh-ho-ho, you may have edited it, but I saw what your original post was there... ''when something bad happens to you?'' you say?

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By joshwent

@jz: Wow. I really hope you're just trolling because this aggressive lack of understanding is pretty sad. Let me try again without making horrible assumptions:

No one can talk about anything freely anymore. You know what happens when something gets spoiled for me? Nothing, because I'm whats called an adult. Think about how much better all podcasts would be people could talk freely about anything. I wanna tell you about this really cool or bad thing. oh wait I can't because people would get angry upon learning there is an ice level in this game. How terrible are your lives, that you'd get mad over something like that?

Consider Brad wanting to talk freely about the TLoU DLC on the latest Bombcast. Having not been able to play the main game yet and not wanting to know anything that happens in it, I hit stop, so I don't know what was talked about exactly, but I hope he spoiled everything he wanted to. That by itself is not a problem at all. They could just take the extra 5 minutes to say, "Spoilers for ____ from __ to __" in the video description. I'll skip it and be happy not having that experience revealed, and you can listen to it happily hearing whatever. It isn't a one or the other thing. Just as in these forums, we're all free to spoil anything we want, as long as we take the second to click a button that helps people who want to play their game fresh.

Spoiler sensitive people are actively destroying excitement and enthusiasm. Since everything is a spoiler. That only leaves us with the most bland and boring conversations possible. So to all you spoiler sensitive people, please on behalf of all mankind lighten up.

When it takes almost no effort to appease a simple, reasonable request that doesn't even need to diminish conversations, the perspective that needs to "lighten up" seems pretty clear.

@sterling said:

I thought the title was perfect. And yeah it was a spoiler. But who cares. Its a minor thing in the game. There will many more things to discover in the game. If you don't want to know anything about the game, like period. Why are you looking at topics in the games forum in the first place. Come on people. This one is in off-topic. The first one was in the Dark Souls II forum.

I care. And I read these forums because they have a specific policy prohibiting spoilers in a thread title.

Things That We Frown Upon

1. Posting spoilers: Maliciously spoiling recent games for others will not be tolerated. If you're the type of person that enjoys ruining fun for others, you will be shown the door.Posting spoilers in thread titles is never permitted.

How is that in any way too much to ask?

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By JZ

@yummylee: I said if your going to get mad about spoilers. How mad are you going to be when something actually bad happens to you.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Yummylee

@sterling said:

Maybe you should be directing these comments to the mods, as before it was deleted I noticed that practically everyone didn't seem bothered by it.

EDIT: I say this because your post comes across as if you're telling off a bunch of rabble rousers complaining about the title, when as far as I was aware there were none.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Sterling

@yummylee: Congrats on 20,000 post duder!

And I don't think that would actually get anything done.

On the edit. The fact the entire topic was deleted would mean people complained about it, right? Also why was the title not just edited.

EDIT: wrong topic, lol I thought I was in the new topic on the dark souls II issue, my bad people.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By JZ

@yummylee: that's what I'm talking about. Everyone in that thread were downright cheering about this "spoiler" they just learned. Then they spoiler sensitive people had be the party poopers and destroy the conversation.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By JZ

@joshwent: key word there being "Maliciously"

This is all like when your in school and one kid can't have peanuts. That one kid can't just not eat peanuts, nobody in the school can have them.

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Wow that seems like an unreasonable reaction. I mean why would I want to listen to a podcast that spoiled things I want to play, or watch or read. I'm not going to send someone an angry email about it but still I wouldn't really like it if they did.

Also why would you want to listen to a podcast where people describe things that happen in media? Seems to me like you would be better suited to enjoying the media instead of listening to someone else's thoughts on it.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Yummylee

@sterling: Ha, Jesus, that's alotta posts right there... I never even realised I was getting this close to my next, er, 'milestone'.

Also, nobody can edit titles at this time I don't think because the site is all kinds of broken =/ And I think it's worth discussing the title in here anywhoo since that's pretty much what lead to all of this.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TruthTellah

@jz: I'm pretty sure the mods were just enforcing the rules.

I understand why they did it regardless of thinking it was a funny title. Your beef seems to be more with the mods than any commenters. Please understand that even if you disagree with the mods, the rules are still the rules. You can easily put spoilers inside threads without placing them in titles.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah: the mod told me that people were PMing him to complain. So my beef is solely with commenters.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm with the OP. Is anyone out there not going to buy Dark Souls 2 now because they found out about the gender coffin? Holy fuck, if tiny shit like this is game-breaking for you, get the fuck out of the VIDEO GAME forums where we discuss VIDEO GAMES on a regular basis. Spoiler: WE TALK ABOUT VIDEO GAMES HERE!

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#38  Edited By BisonHero

@truthtellah said:

It's like you're saying showing greater consideration for others over yourself is the downfall of society...

Oh man, that Rorie gif is great.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jz: Are you actively trying to disregard any opinions other than your own? I respect that you'd like to have conversations about games as open as possible. I completely agree. But it doesn't hurt that conversation in any way to take the minuscule effort to direct those that don't want to know the content of a game away from your discussion.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By SlashDance

Think back to the time when all you knew before going into a game was what you read of it in a single review in a paper magazine, with half a dozen screenshots, and maybe one or two previews before that. Think of how much we see of games before playing them now. We have access to hours of youtube videos, hundreds of forum threads on how the game works, interviews, reviews, previews, etc. It's obvious the experience of actually playing the game is different when you know so much about it beforehand.

I'm not saying one approach is necessarily better than the other, I'm not saying knowing everything about a game makes it inherently less good, in fact I don't really care myself. However I am saying that it's absolutely crazy to not understand that some people want to know as little as possible before playing a game. That is perfectly reasonable. And yes of course you can spoil a mechanic, it's a video game. The idea that only major plot points and plot twists are spoilers is mad, especially for a game based around the player discovering the mechanics for themselves... And as was said above, all you have to do is click a button.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By JZ

@joshwent: well you make it sound like I did it to be an asshole. When I did it to tell people about a cool thing. Because that is the point of a videogame forum.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jz said:

@truthtellah: the mod told me that people were PMing him to complain. So my beef is solely with commenters.

Sounds like mods were informed of someone breaking the rules. I don't see what's so terrible about that. Are you just going to yell at random people?

And doing it like this? Come on. Might as well yell at the air. What does this serve? What do you want to see? You're just mad and ranting at no one in particular. "Downfall of society"? You know this sounds ridiculous; why persist?

Just follow the rule and put spoilers in the thread body instead of the title. It isn't that difficult, as 99% of thread creators follow it every single day.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By TruthTellah
@jz said:

@joshwent: well you make it sound like I did it to be an asshole. When I did it to tell people about a cool thing. Because that is the point of a videogame forum.

I don't think anyone's saying you were intending to be an asshole. They're saying you simply broke a rule that's rather plain.

Ranting like this, though, does you no favors. I appreciate your original excitement, but it seems to have just become anger. And that's a shame. You can still be hyped about this. Heck, make a new thread with a non-spoilery title like "Peter Serafinowicz's Hilarious Dark Souls II Interview". Then discuss this fun thing to your heart's content. I'd love to discuss it with you and everyone else.

(ah, okay. FredChuckDave already shared it again here: http://www.giantbomb.com/dark-souls-ii/3030-40798/forums/amazing-dark-souls-2-interview-1472709/#10 Why not just go and express your excitement in that thread? We can all have fun with it.)

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How terrible are your lives, that you'd get mad over something like that?

Oh, the irony.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By JZ

@truthtellah: because ranting about things that annoy that person makes them feel better. Remember the laughing scene in ff10? They were laughing at nobody, but it was making them feel better. I'm just enjoy ridiculousness.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jz said:

@truthtellah: because ranting about things that annoy that person makes them feel better. Remember the laughing scene in ff10? They were laughing at nobody, but it was making them feel better. I'm just enjoy ridiculousness.

heh. Then at least make it a blog post or something. Send a PM to a friend maybe. Like this it's just silly. :P

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah: that title is boring and lacks the jazz of genderbending coffin boats.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jz said:

@truthtellah: that title is boring and lacks the jazz of genderbending coffin boats.

I'll give you that.

Still, I'm sure you could have come up with something jazzy without giving it away. ;)

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah: this is a blog just without the blog stamp on it. What is my oh so valuable internet forum reputation going to be soured?