Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#101  Edited By FengShuiGod

@TentPole said:

@FengShuiGod said:

I was left feeling unfulfilled.

The film doesn't try to answer any of it's "questions,"

This right here tells me that the movie went right over your head. It doesn't answer the questions because it isn't about the questions. It is not about the meaning or origin of life. It is a film about mankind's drive to find answers to those questions which by their very nature can't be answered.

You should watch A Serious Man. You would love it. In both films the lack of answers is the whole point.

Like I said, I have no problem with it's lack of answers, and I don't need mind boggling insights. For example, The Tree of Life was a film I had my problems with, but it dealt with unanswerable questions much more deftly than Prometheus did. Your claim and others that the film goes right over my head is kinda ridiculous. If I don't think the film possesses much beyond a nihilistic wink, it is somehow over my head? If I am left feeling unfulfilled, it somehow follows that I am left feeling unfulfilled because things weren't spelled out for me? I guess I should take 2001: A Space Odyssey off my list of perennial favorites because its too much for me to handle. Mine as well burn all those David Lynch films too. The bottom line is I think Prometheus' reach exceeds its grasp.

@boj4ngles said:

I think I and a few other people have explained pretty well how there is a lot more going on than "like, robots and aliens and shit". In fact, now that I'm re-reading what you just posted, I don't even know why I'm responding. You didn't make any specific criticisms, it reads like a whole load of B.S. It sounds like you were struggling with the film and couldn't get over some intellectual hurdle. Shit, now I'm getting petty again. Well so what. Stick to Transformers buddy. That way you'll always have Optimus Prime to explain in very clear terms what the message of the movie is.

I'm not saying the movie isn't doing more, but many fanboys often fail to articulate what is going on beyond the level of "robots and aliens and shit," and it seems they mistake spectacle for meaning. I never said you were part of the aforementioned group....

I also don't know how you think I am struggling with some intellectual hurdle. The fact that the film felt like little more than pop-philosophy to me doesn't mean it's difficult. Really, I don't know why I am responding. You post reads like a whole load of b.s.

And what's with the ad-hominem? Ultimately, the film is enjoyable, like I said. The fact the we can even talk about a blockbuster in such terms, even if I associate it with a failure to deliver, should be regarded as a success. Because I think its metaphysical touch was a bit heavy handed and failed to synthesize with its visual bombast means you think I am an ignoramus who should stick to Transformers? Too bad. Maybe you should stick to Prometheus, because something like Le Samourai, or Wild Strawberries is probably beyond your keen.

@JazGalaxy said:

But what IS a soul? How does one create it? For all the bio-engineering going on in the film, how come no one has found the ability to create a soul? What is the nature of your own soul? Do you believe you even have one?

So does she believe in God because she believes he exists, or because the need to believe in God helps her to deal with her reality?

Do these Engineers have souls? They are human, but gigantic, which harkens back to the Nephalim of the Bible. A human-like beings in Genesis that no one really knows much about.

The engineers "created" humanity, but then sought to destroy it. This is very similar to the way God chose to destroy the world in the Flood after he saw that mankind was evil.

"If we are created beings, are we loved? Or are we abandoned? And if we're abandoned, why? And if and when we meet God, will be embrace us? Or attempt to destroy us again?"

See, these existential questions for me aren't really deep or meaningful. Something like Blood Meridian, or the mystic writings of Jacob Boehme, or on the film side of things something like Solaris deal with gnostic themes at a level far beyond Prometheus. Questions like, "Do you believe in a soul," just seem too easy to pose and to unfulfilling to think about. Just my opinion, ofc.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By TentPole

@FengShuiGod: If you have no problem with the film not trying to answer every question then you probably should not complain about it not trying to answer every question. And fuck you, Tree of Life is goddamn perfect and does not deal in unanswerable questions as it does in fact have the balls to answer them. I think you may have missed the point with that movie as well if you think it is going for a similar thing to Prometheus. As I said the movie with similar themes done better is A Serious Man.

WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By WickedFather

When they enter the chamber with the vases in the soil there are little worms which I think are indiginous to the planet.  Then the woman says that they've affected the atmosphere in the room and that triggers the pots to start gurgling out their goo, and that of course gets on the worms and creates the space vipers.

The stuff that happens in Alien is less than a hundred years from this point and the ship they find in that is fossilised and I think also 2000 years old, the same as the body found in this so it could have left the planet about the same time the holograms were recorded and the head chopping happened in this.  LV 426 probably had the lifeforms that created the Alien we know.

And if this is an Alien franchise film that wants me to ask questions about myself, then fuck off.  I don't go to a piano bar to listen to a trumpet.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By TentPole

@WickedFather said:

And if this is an Alien franchise film that wants me to ask questions about myself, then fuck off. I don't go to a piano bar to listen to a trumpet.

Hence why Ridley Scott kept saying it was not an Aliens franchise film but rather something else entirely with some shared DNA. And heaven forbid our SciFi films have some depth.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By donchipotle

Theron looked pretty great in that uniform, though, am I right.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@DonChipotle

Theron looked pretty great in that uniform, though, am I right.

You are absolutely right.
JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By JazGalaxy

@WickedFather said:

When they enter the chamber with the vases in the soil there are little worms which I think are indiginous to the planet. Then the woman says that they've affected the atmosphere in the room and that triggers the pots to start gurgling out their goo, and that of course gets on the worms and creates the space vipers. The stuff that happens in Alien is less than a hundred years from this point and the ship they find in that is fossilised and I think also 2000 years old, the same as the body found in this so it could have left the planet about the same time the holograms were recorded and the head chopping happened in this. LV 426 probably had the lifeforms that created the Alien we know. And if this is an Alien franchise film that wants me to ask questions about myself, then fuck off. I don't go to a piano bar to listen to a trumpet.

HUH. I didn't make that connection between the worms and the snake monster...

galacticgravy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By galacticgravy

A lot of my dislike for the film comes from an unlikable cast of psychopaths and morons. It's not the unsolved plot points or anything. I'm curious to see what they come up with next. But the crew was just ridiculous. Also certain plot points (xenomorphs were weapons, that girl was weylands daughter) were painfully obvious. It was almost embarrassing that they took that long to reveal them.

-It's just common sense to not take your fucking helmet off on another world. I figured this shit out in high school, and our awesome crew were just like "DUUURRR I WANNA BREATH DA AIR" with complete disregard for safety. Parasites? Viruses? Bacteria? That happening immediately triggered an "Oh, I see. These people are retarded" in my mind.

-Little Ms. Weyland was way too cartoon-like in her corporate role. At least Paul Reiser had this used car salesman charm to him. You knew he might be bad but he at least tried to cover it up. This girl was a cunt from step one. She did exactly as expected every step of the way, so nothing she did was interesting.

-Shaw's boyfriend or whatever...fuck I don't remember anyone's name...why did he randomly turn into a huge dick? I guess he was drunk and upset that he didn't find what he wanted, but it wasn't set up like that. Fuck, I know people that say "Thank You" to vending machines. I once called Siri a twat and felt a little bad. I don't think everyone would be such a dick to David in reality.

-Why the fuck did Nemesis show up? Why did that tattood dude turn into a hyper-freak? Was it another "WMD"? I guess.

-Nobody mentions how Shaw was covered in blood and had staples on her stomach and in her underwear? I guess they all knew how that happened (they were all in on it) but still. It's as if she walked in and was like "SUP BRAH"

-"AHHH LET'S CRASH THIS SHIP INTO THAT OTHER SHIP! NOBODY SEEMS TO OBJECT EXCEPT SOME CUNT THAT NOBODY LIKES"

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I think the point is that there were many of those ships so the one that landed on the planet that was in Alien was a different ship carrying another form of their biological weapons. The chest burster at the end of Prometheus was obviously different than the ones in Alien.

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By BlatantNinja23

@MooseyMcMan said:

@TentPole: I know he created the series, but I gotta side with James Cameron on this one.

He didn't create the series, he only directed it. Where as Prometheus is truly partially his baby, Though I'm curious why he doesn't get a writers credit, obviously there is something I don't understand about the crediting process here.

@runcrash said:

What I don't get is why David even bothered slipping Holloway the black ooze. The reason they were there was to meet their makers, I can't fathom how infecting him would help them with that goal.

For being an android David seems very curious. Like humans he wants to know why he was created, and like humans he wants to create. He's not only doing what he is ordered. Also it isn't until the movie aliens that androids are reprogrammed (or i guess in a sense fixed) with the inability to harm humans. He seems to have an understanding of the engineer's language and it's possible he could have found something (like the walls) that may have described what the goo was. (it's very possible that the humans first language is also the engineers language, so since david was study early civilizations seeing the writing and then hearing actual pronunciation, he could be able to connect certain things) Thus giving the understanding it was a complicated bio weapon that would alter a creatures DNA and giving the possibility of reproducing a very different species (which essentially became a giant facehugger) David talking about destroying life to create new life implies he possibly knew this. It's also possible he knew exactly what he was creating end game wise because of the mural on the wall that has both a xenomorph and facehuggers attaching to humans (or possibly engineers)

@The_Ruiner said:

Why did people keep taking their helmets off?

One guy trusted technology just enough to truly test if the air was breathable. It worked so everyone took them off. Also it seemed to be an understanding that something that possibility was similar to them used to/still lived there, so a logical jump of i guess this air really is breathable is possible.

Why did the Irishman turn into a creepy space zombie, was that part of the Engineers plan?

The goo is a bio weapon that was made to make people go crazy and possibly just wipe each other out. Scott was quite public about this idea, even 2 years ago while still working on the script with Spaihts.

"It's the dark side of the moon. We are talking about gods and engineers. Engineers of space. And were the aliens designed as a form of biological warfare? Or biology that would go in and clean up a planet?"

That quote both implies using it to wipe out humanity but also the possibility of the civil war theory some people have.

Why would you try and pet an evil space cobra? You wouldn't try and pet an earth cobra...especially after those assholes made such a big deal about being too scared to deal with the alien shit.

The thing is there are people who do try and pet cobras. It did actually seem less harmful then a giant cobra, who knew it could squeeze that hard.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

The entire plot is predicated on geniuses being stupid. The entire plot requires characters portrayed as capable to make stupid decisions in order to keep the plot going.

FilipHolm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By FilipHolm

"Hey, we have all these great ideas for this movie. Let's find a bunch of writers that'll fuck the whole thing up"

I hate complaining, especially since I'm a writer myself but it's not understandable to me how everything about this movie (even the mysterious websites and stuff outside of the actuall film) is pretty damn good, and somehow te writers couldn't write a plot that makes sense..

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By TentPole

@BlatantNinja23 said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

@TentPole: I know he created the series, but I gotta side with James Cameron on this one.

He didn't create the series, he only directed it. Where as Prometheus is truly partially his baby, Though I'm curious why he doesn't get a writers credit, obviously there is something I don't understand about the crediting process here.

Well, that is a fucking stupid thing to say.

@Brodehouse said:

The entire plot is predicated on geniuses being stupid. The entire plot requires characters portrayed as capable to make stupid decisions in order to keep the plot going.

It's really not.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By NTM

I was shocked that it was so obvious. I had asked the question of if this is on another planet, how can that same ship.... blah blah blah. Whatever, anyways, I was shocked that I couldn't even think of something as such, but there are many other ships like the one in Prometheus and Alien/Aliens. Those are two different ships, and maybe the one Shaw and David get on is the same one from Alien, but probably not.

Anyways, I just came back from the movie, and so far, I can only think of one loop hole. Everything else people are saying was confusing, isn't at all. The one thing I didn't understand was, how did that guy with the red mohawk become controlled by something? That's the one small thing that never was explained. I can only assume what had happened. I understood what was going on, but how, and what exactly? I thought the movie was fantastic, but it's definitely not as I would have imagined it. Now I can fully understand why it's not another Alien movie.

The one thing I'm disappointed in, is something that doesn't even have to do with the film itself really, I'm disappointed I have to wait for a sequel, or even until this is on blu-ray. Well, ask me any questions you have about the film, but be realistic. People seem to be asking questions that can't even be answered yet.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#115  Edited By galiant

@NTM said:

Anyways, I just came back from the movie, and so far, I can only think of one loop hole. Everything else people are saying was confusing, isn't at all. The one thing I didn't understand was, how did that guy with the red mohawk become controlled by something? That's the one small thing that never was explained. I can only assume what had happened.

Well the acid tore through his helmet, so he could have easily been exposed to the black goo. For all we know, that's what was going to happen to Holloway, except that he was burnt to a crisp before it went that far. Maybe you turn feral before you...I don't know, explode, or whatever that black goo weapon was supposed to do to people.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never found "you didn't like it because you didn't get it" to be a compelling argument about anything.  

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By NTM

@Galiant: No, I know, but that's not what I was saying. I was wondering why the black goo does that. How does it infect, and then take control? I don't believe this is something anyone has seen in the alien franchise before, so it's not really something I'll get an answer out of, and after I wrote that I just realized I shouldn't have to ask, because it's not something that can be answered yet. The movie's not that confusing as some are making it out to seem. I can't really believe the OP asked what he did, it's as if he wasn't paying attention to the film.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By TentPole

@Galiant said:

@NTM said:

Anyways, I just came back from the movie, and so far, I can only think of one loop hole. Everything else people are saying was confusing, isn't at all. The one thing I didn't understand was, how did that guy with the red mohawk become controlled by something? That's the one small thing that never was explained. I can only assume what had happened.

Well the acid tore through his helmet, so he could have easily been exposed to the black goo. For all we know, that's what was going to happen to Holloway, except that he was burnt to a crisp before it went that far. Maybe you turn feral before you...I don't know, explode, or whatever that black goo weapon was supposed to do to people.

After the helmet is burned by the acid it deliberately shows him falling face first into a puddle of goo. So I am pretty sure you are right.

spartanlolz92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By spartanlolz92

the only problem for me was the way the crew acted. very unproffesional and stupid yep im just going to take my helmet off on an alien planet.

also why would you be a dick to a android that cant die.

secondly what was davids reason behind all that he did

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TentPole said:

@Brodehouse said:

It's really not.

It really is though.

Scientists tell us aliens made us because they found some cave paintings but offer nothing else in way of an explanation. Scientists don't perform a scan of a planet, send out probes, etc despite being a trillion dollar mission. Scientists fly low and spot alien thing in first 15 minutes. Scientists land next to it. Scientists rush out to it, despite only having a few hour of sunlight. Scientists fail to recognize the robot is displaying some kind of emotion (there's some weird schism between the acting and writing in that regard). Scientists take off helmets because there's oxygen despite lack of knowledge of airborne pathogens OR care for how their breathing might affect this ancient structure. Scientist who likes rocks and is supposedly a badass becomes a total pussy for no reason. Scientists split up. Scientists freely handle an ancient head despite having their face and hair exposed to it. Scientists fail to notice/care the robot is touching and grabbing canisters, despite being all of four feet away from everyone. Scientists leave and somehow take all the vehicles with them, failing to notice that, uh, the other guys would've needed one to drive back too. Scientists are lost despite having a real time 3d map and a captain who is looking at said map. Scientists spend the night and captain can't be bothered to actually watch the feed of his missing crew or, you know, record it. Scientists back on the Prometheus take our first ever discovery of alien life and fucking stick it in the neck with electricity (which is not a real thing that works) and explode it. Scientists also don't seem to have any protocol for studying this thing, having ripped its helmet carelessly apart. Scientist who is not Tom Hardy is sad because he was the first to find aliens but they're dead despite having cried at cave paintings on earth. Scientist who is not Tom Hardy is poisoned by the robit who doesn't even take the time to put the black goo under the microscope or study it anyway because he is a cheater and skipped ahead in the script. Scientist who claims to be a biologist encounters an alien that displays clearly aggressive signs similar to a cobra on earth and decides he wants to cuddle with it. Scientist who is the worst biologist and scientist who likes rocks die. Scientist on Prometheus discovers we are a 100% DNA match with Paliens (despite this not being how DNA works. At all. Nor anyone carrying about the contamination from handling it with their entire heads exposed back in the room where they found it). Scientists have sex. Scientists realize they haven't heard from the other scientists but, again for some reason, have no video of the lost scientists. Scientist who is not Tom Hardy gets sick, and they all rush back, after finding that the Worlds Worst Biologist is dead. Scientists never bring this up again, seem to care, or even mention that it was weird a snake thing jumped out of his mouth. Scientist who is not Tom Hardy is very sick, and Not-Samus Aran holds him off dramatically with a flamethrower because apparently the trillion dollar ship has no kind of safe quarantine protocol and everyone has forgotten about the side-entry door that could easily control entry. Scientist who is not Tom Hardy is burned alive (yay!) but no one really seems to give a shit like fifteen minutes later. Scientist Not-Ripley has a scan performed, is revealed to be pregnant. Scientist is sedated by the Only Good Character but has faked it and attacks two of the other scientists (who, also, won't really seem to care in fifteen minutes). Scientist Not-Ripley aborts the alien baby in a truly great scene only to stumble around and not bring it up t anyone--even the old Dead but Not Really Dead Cliche Villian. Scientists elsewhere on the ship don't seem to mind that this guy has popped up. Scientists don't ask what happened to Not-Ripley after she hit them in the face, and even though David makes a reference to the abortion, it's dropped after that. Scientist who likes rocks, shows up, and kills several scientists, but is killed by several guys driving away and saying "We've gotta get out of here!" which must mean this movie because I'm not sure where else there is to go. Scientists don't seem to care or ask questions about the dead people or their recently zombified teammate. Scientist Not-Riply listens to Stringer, who is also Sherlock and has clearly figured out what this place is while only leaving the ship once. Scientists follow the android, who plays a flute and wakes up the Palien. Scientist shouts why the Palien wanted to kill everyone (SPOILER: Scott confirmed that the reason was originally because we killed Jesus. Who was an alien.), but he hulk smashes because who cares. Scientist Not-Riply runs out of the ship and convinces Captain Stringer despite, again, no real evidence that our only hope is to crash Prometheus into it and that happens. Scientist Not-Ripley and Not-Samus Aran then reenact the steam roller scene from Austin Powers and forget to run to the side. Scientist Not-Ripley rolls out of the way and Not-Samus Aran is squished. Scientist Not-Ripley makes it to the life boat but is dues ex machina'd by the robits head and gets a warning the bad guy is coming. Scientist Not-Ripley fights for five seconds and takes her rations of like, seriously, a week's worth of food and bails after the abortion alien no one ever cared to talk about or check up on bodyhuggs the Palien. Scientist flies off with the robit and informs us that she still believes because she's a human and he's a robot and we're all insulted because that directly contradicts the theme the film seemed to be building with him. Scientist Not-Ripley soars off into the sky. I vomit. Proto-xenomorph shows up because nothing can be too subtle.

Scientists are stupid.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By TentPole

@CrossTheAtlantic said:

@TentPole said:

@Brodehouse said:

It's really not.

It really is though.

Scientists tell us aliens made us because they found some cave paintings but offer nothing else in way of an explanation. Scientists don't perform a scan of a planet, send out probes, etc despite being a trillion dollar mission. Scientists fly low and spot alien thing in first 15 minutes. Scientists land next to it. Scientists rush out to it, despite only having a few hour of sunlight. Scientists fail to recognize the robot is displaying some kind of emotion (there's some weird schism between the acting and writing in that regard). Scientists take off helmets because there's oxygen despite lack of knowledge of airborne pathogens OR care for how their breathing might affect this ancient structure. Scientist who likes rocks and is supposedly a badass becomes a total pussy for no reason. Scientists split up. Scientists freely handle an ancient head despite having their face and hair exposed to it. Scientists fail to notice/care the robot is touching and grabbing canisters, despite being all of four feet away from everyone. Scientists leave and somehow take all the vehicles with them, failing to notice that, uh, the other guys would've needed one to drive back too. Scientists are lost despite having a real time 3d map and a captain who is looking at said map. Scientists spend the night and captain can't be bothered to actually watch the feed of his missing crew or, you know, record it. Scientists back on the Prometheus take our first ever discovery of alien life and fucking stick it in the neck with electricity (which is not a real thing that works) and explode it. Scientists also don't seem to have any protocol for studying this thing, having ripped it's helmet carelessly apart. Scientist who is not Tom Hardy is sad because he was the first to find aliens but they're dead despite having cried at cave paintings on earth. Scientist who is not Tom Hardy is poisened by the robit who doesn't even take the time to put the black goo under the microscope or study it anyway because he is a cheater and skipped ahead in the script. Scientist who claims to be a biologist encounters an alien that displays clearly aggressive signs similar to a cobra on earth and decides he wants to cuddle with it. Scientist who is the worst biologist and scientist who likes rocks die. Scientist on Prometheus discovers we are a 100% DNA match with Paliens (despite this not being how DNA works. At all. Nor anyone carrying about the contamination from handling it with their entire heads exposed back in the room where they found it). Scientists have sex. Scientists realize they haven't heard from the other scientists but, again for some reason, have no video of the lost scientists. Scientist who is not Tom Hardy gets sick, and they all rush back, after finding that the Worlds Worst Biologist is dead. Scientists never bring this up again, seem to care, or even mention that it was weird a snake thing jumped out of his mouth. Scientist who is not Tom Hardy is very sick, and Not-Samus Aran holds him off dramatically with a flamethrower because apparently the trillion dollar ship has no kind of safe quarantine protocol and everyone has forgotten about the side-entry door that could easily control entry. Scientist who is not Tom Hardy is burned alive (yay!) but no one really seems to give a shit like fifteen minutes later. Scientist Not-Ripley has a scan performed, is revealed to be pregnant. Scientist is sedated by the Only Good Character but has faked it and attacks two of the other scientists (who, also, won't really seem to care in fifteen minutes). Scientist Not-Ripley aborts the alien baby in a truly great scene only to stumble around and not bring it up t anyone--even the old Dead but Not Really Dead Cliche Villian. Scientists elsewhere on the ship don't seem to mind that this guy has popped up. Scientists don't ask what happened to Not-Ripley after she hit them in the face, and even though David makes a reference to the abortion, it's dropped after that. Scientist who likes rocks, shows up, and kills several scientists, but is killed by several guys driving away and saying "We've gotta get out of here!" which must mean this movie because I'm not sure where else there is to go. Scientists don't seem to care or ask questions about the dead people or their recently zombified teammate. Scientist Not-Riply listens to Stringer, who is also Sherlock and has clearly figured out what this place is while only leaving the ship once. Scientists follow the android, who plays a flute and wakes up the Palien. Scientist shouts why the Palien wanted to kill everyone (SPOILER: Scott confirmed that the reason was originally because we killed Jesus. Who was an alien.), but he hulk smashes because who cares. Scientist Not-Riply runs out of the ship and convinces Captain Stringer despite, again, no real evidence that our only hope is to crash Prometheus into it and that happens. Scientist Not-Ripley and Not-Samus Aran then reenact the steam roller scene from Austin Powers and forget to run to the side. Scientist Not-Ripley rolls out of the way and Not-Samus Aran is squished. Scientist Not-Ripley makes it to the life boat but is dues ex machina'd by the robits head and gets a warning the bad guy is coming. Scientist Not-Ripley fights for five seconds and takes her rations of like, seriously, a week's worth of food and bails after the abortion alien no one ever cared to talk about or check up on bodyhuggs the Palien. Scientist flies off with the robit and informs us that she still believes because she's a human and he's a robot and we're all insulted because that directly contradicts the theme the film seemed to be building with him. Scientist Not-Ripley soars off into the sky. I vomit. Proto-xenomorph shows up because nothing can be too subtle.

Scientists are stupid.

Do you know what is really stupid? Thinking anyone is going to read through your shitty wall of text.

Edit: Turns out I skimmed just enough to notice the horrible gammer, spelling errors, and at least one fragrant lie. You really fucked this up. There is an argument to be made but it appears that you are not the one to make it.

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TentPole said:

@CrossTheAtlantic said:

http://onion.com/aiuIl5

Do you know what is really stupid? Thinking anyone is going to read through your shitty wall of text.

Edit: Turns out I skimmed just enough to notice the horrible gammer, spelling errors, and at least one fragrant lie. You really fucked this up. There is an argument to be made but it appears that you are not the one to make it.

What a rebuttal! I mean, I don't outright hate the movie really, but the characters are atrociously incompetent at best and outright stupid at worst. Also, what, in my spelling error-ridden post, is the "fragrant" lie? I will happily concede any mistakes on my part as I have no reason to make up lies about the plot of this film.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By TentPole

@CrossTheAtlantic said:

@TentPole said:

@CrossTheAtlantic said:

http://onion.com/aiuIl5

What a rebuttal! I mean, I don't outright hate the movie really, but the characters are atrociously incompetent at best and outright stupid at worst. Also, what, in my spelling error-ridden post, is the "fragrant" lie? I will happily concede any mistakes on my part as I have no reason to make up lies about the plot of this film.

You claim Ridley Scott confirmed that the engineers are pissed about the Crucifixion of Christ: (SPOILER: Scott confirmed that the reason was originally because we killed Jesus. Who was an alien.) That is a fucking lie and you know it. What he said is that they considered it and one point and decided to not go with it. There is a very valid argument to be made for that theory but using a Ridley Scott interview where he says they decided to not go with something as confirmation that they did go with it is fucking shitty and misleading.

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By excast

I would really be interested in knowing what David said to the Engineer.  Without knowing it is kind of hard to be sure if the Engineers are malicious or this one was simply provoked by David saying "We killed your buddies and we are here to kill you now." ..or something to that effect.

It was interesting that the goo basically seemed to act like some kind of intelligent mutating agent to cause extreme growth.  You could see that with the worms, but also with the squid thing that actually sort of looked like a giant...sperm?  Maybe I am reading too much into that.

LastNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By LastNinja

@believer258 said:

@chu52 said:

Soooooo I watched it, though the ending was busted at the theater I went to so got my money back, which made me happy because it was basically Alien (1979), but with a worse monster. Like I had trouble caring because I saw that movie before.

Though I did enjoy the nuance and subtlety when her abortion killed god.

Good catch, there in your spoiler, but remember that the main character didn't lose her (rather underplayed) faith in God either. So the movie's position on that seems to be rather ambiguous still, unless it somehow villifies Shaw.

Anyway, I wish they would have let the plot end good and proper, with a chestburster coming out of the Space Jockey thing while it's sitting in the big chair on LV426. Yes, different planet and different alien and different chestburster and all, but as it stands it leaves questions as to how the xenomorph even got to LV426 in the first place and it makes even less sense narratively because that's what they seemed to be building up to, only to avert it completely. It's implying that the first one was born from the Space Jockey that died there, and it's never been implied that xenomorphs can fly spaceships, so how did it get there? Really, it just seemed like the movie kind of dropped off at the end. As if Scott said "Yeah, that's all the plot points I wanted to show, let's wrap this thing up real quick and go get a burger". For that matter, the whole movie seemed like a slightly disjointed series of events rather than a cohesive plot.

So as it was stated in the film by someone, this installation was like a military base with many ships. Who knows if some of them had departed before shit got nasty, or more likely there are more of these military installations on other planets, so the derelict in Alien could come from anywhere. And the derelict from Alien had eggs as cargo which suggests that wherever that ship came from they had developed an egg-laying queen, which is possibly what we see birthed at the end of Prometheus, at least an earlier/later version of it. It's a bio-weapon developed over time, so there are probably different versions like 1.0 and 2.0

super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#126  Edited By super_machine

The way I see it, engineers created humanoid life on earth in order to use them as templates/hosts for the final stage of the xenomorph manufacturing process.. Once the xenomorph alien creatures are produced in sufficient numbers to generate the Queen type, they are then collected to produce the xenomorph eggs. The engineers transported the eggs in their ships for use as BOWs. This was shown in stasis field on the derelict ship from the original movie.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#127  Edited By Hector

I didn't do through all the posts in this thread... but hasn't it occurred to anyone that just as there were other ships on LV-223 there could've easily been another that crash landed on LV426...

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#128  Edited By Oldirtybearon

I just love the fact that Vickers is crushed by a giant, rolling croissant.

Shit had me laughing for hours.

LastNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By LastNinja

Another thing I've thought about since seeing the film is the engineer in the beginning and the ship he presumably arrived on. This giant traditional flying saucer is quite different from the military cargo ships. So I'm thinking it's their version of a science vessel, and what were they doing on, lets assume, earth. My theory is that the engineer in the beginning is doing what he does unbeknownst to the rest of the engineers. Or that entire science vessel is there on some sort of rogue mission, using this bio-weapon for something it was not intended for: creating life on earth. Therefore when the engineer military branch finds out what the scientists did on earth, they mobilize to erase that mistake and during that mobilization shit just goes wrong.

I don't know, just thinking out loud. At least it's interesting that not many films incite this much speculation and discussion.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Scrawnto

@LastNinja said:

Another thing I've thought about since seeing the film is the engineer in the beginning and the ship he presumably arrived on. This giant traditional flying saucer is quite different from the military cargo ships. So I'm thinking it's their version of a science vessel, and what were they doing on, lets assume, earth. My theory is that the engineer in the beginning is doing what he does unbeknownst to the rest of the engineers. Or that entire science vessel is there on some sort of rogue mission, using this bio-weapon for something it was not intended for: creating life on earth. Therefore when the engineer military branch finds out what the scientists did on earth, they mobilize to erase that mistake and during that mobilization shit just goes wrong.

I don't know, just thinking out loud. At least it's interesting that not many films incite this much speculation and discussion.

I just saw the movie yesterday and decided to see what people had said about it. It amuses me that the very last post before mine is actually the same theory I was going to post. After all, the movie is called Prometheus. That engineer in the beginning is stealing 'fire', the creation of life, from the other 'gods'.

morrelloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#131  Edited By morrelloman

Did you know that Geologists LOVE rocks? This movie sucked.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By TentPole

@Scrawnto said:

@LastNinja said:

I just saw the movie yesterday and decided to see what people had said about it. It amuses me that the very last post before mine is actually the same theory I was going to post. After all, the movie is called Prometheus. That engineer in the beginning is stealing 'fire', the creation of life, from the other 'gods'.

I like it.

boj4ngles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#133  Edited By boj4ngles

I just saw it a second time and something occurred to me as a possibility. Maybe David was only activated after the ship left Earth and all the crew were in cryo sleep. There's not much evidence to support this except that when he meets Shaw for the first time when she is barfing, he introduces himself to her as though they have never met. If it is true however, it definitely casts his character in a different light. While the crew is on a journey to meet their creators, he is doing it right there. I wouldn't be surprised if the extended cut has a "birth" scene for David, especially when you consider the opening shot of this promotional video.

Another thing I noticed was that right before the wake up the engineer out of his cryo sleep, David tells Shaw that the alien ship was intended to travel to earth. When she asks him why, he says that "to create you must destroy". So I definitely think he knew that the ship and presumably the engineer were hostile but didn't bother to warn anyone.

Geralt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Geralt

Let me get you all off-topic here for a moment.

Can any of you recommend a film critic(or critics) for me? I got burned by Iron Sky and Prometheus back to back since Rorie and Alex went off into the wild.

Roeper and Ebert and all of the lated "At the movies" guys seem to enjoy Prometheus very much so...I got no hope left.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By NTM

@Scrawnto said:

@LastNinja said:

That's what it is.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By NTM

Also, people keep saying the "abortion" scene, when it wasn't abortion, it was a c-section. It also seems like a lot of people are bringing up how they're confused about certain things, like how there's Xenomorphs on LV-426. I believe there were one or more ships on LV-223, and one, or some of the engineer's had fled 2000 years before during the outbreak (as shown in the film), and one of them had been impregnated by its cargo, therefore crash landing on LV-426 only to be found 2000 years later by the crew of the Nostromo.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#137  Edited By myke_tuna

@NTM said:

Also, people keep fucking saying the "abortion" scene, when it wasn't abortion, it was a c-section.

Wrong. It was abdominal surgery to remove a foreign body. Duh! (Seriously, I agree with you)

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By NTM

Oh, and I also would like to tell everyone (if you didn't already know) that when the blu-ray comes out, it'll have 20 to 30 minutes of deleted scenes, and he's also making a sequel to Blade Runner right now.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Oldirtybearon said:

I just love the fact that Vickers is crushed by a giant, rolling croissant.

Shit had me laughing for hours.

Yeah. This was maybe Prometheus' most egregious piece of idiotic filmmaking for me. Like, whatever, I was willing to ignore the fact that both Shaw and Vickers refused to, like, turn out of the way of the ship. That sort of stupid conceit happens in movies all the time.

I lost my lid when the whole thing was coming down on Shaw but was braced above her by a single, foot-high rock.

Paindamnation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By Paindamnation

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. And the beginning was supposed to be "Jesus" of the aliens taking in the liquid on earth to create life. That's my story and I'm sticking to it! Plus I think they are going to find the predators if they go to the home planet of the alien race.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By TentPole

@Paindamnation said:

I think they are going to find the predators if they go to the home planet of the alien race.

Not if Ridley Scott has anything to do with it. He thinks Predators are fucking dumb.

In his defense they are kinda fucking dumb. But on the other hand they are also really fucking cool.

Paindamnation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By Paindamnation

@TentPole said:

@Paindamnation said:

I think they are going to find the predators if they go to the home planet of the alien race.

Not if Ridley Scott has anything to do with it. He thinks Predators are fucking dumb.

In his defense they are kinda fucking dumb. But on the other hand they are also really fucking cool.

Never really followed the Alien series. Ridley Scott has had some other gems in there. But I took my mom to see it cause she's followed it since the beginning, cause she's old. She wasn't very impressed. The -jump- scares..Were never to the gruesome point. They got close. But never got there. I still like the movie for what it is, an original-ish story, taking cues from the universe without overly divulging into full Pre-quel Star Trek material of using all the materials and just tweaking them.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By TentPole

@Paindamnation: While not without flaws I think it is the deepest and most thought provoking sci-fi film since Blade Runner. The internet tells me I am crazy and I should I hate it. Fuck that.

Paindamnation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By Paindamnation

@TentPole said:

@Paindamnation: While not without flaws I think it is the deepest and most thought provoking sci-fi film since Blade Runner. The internet tells me I am crazy and I should I hate it. Fuck that.

Am I going to get it when it's on Blu-Ray? Yes. If someone wants to go see it again will I? Probably. That's all that really matters to me for movies now-a-days is replay value. The Best movies out there aren't always the best story/plot/action/etc. It's movies you can watch over and over again and see something different. Also this describes this and almost every thread.

Char12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By Char12

@Buckwatters: It's probably a different ship, seeing as Its a different PLanet than the one in Alien, and David stated there were multiple ships.

Char12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Char12

Oh, and I don't see why people are complaining,It's not a terrible film, it leaves a few question still unanswered?

Like what?, the only questions are about the SJ's. That can't be counted as a flaw imo.

Matfei90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By Matfei90
@dennisthemennis said:

Really great answers @boj4ngles.

My interpretation of why David inserted the liquid into Holloway's drink is that he was programmed to carry out Weyland's mission: to find the engineers, answers about humanity's existence, and consequently the "cure" for mortality. Weyland believed (or hoped) that the engineers must have unlocked the secret to immortality because they had created humanity. I think that David probably thought the liquid in the capsules/canisters was possibly the key to rejuvenation and creation of life, and so he tested it on Holloway. David asks him if he is willing to sacrifice everything to know the truth, and Holloway says he is. "Great things come from small beginnings."

Yeah, this part was the biggest 'wtf' for me, but I came to the same conclusion as you after thinking on it.
breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#148  Edited By breadfan
intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By intro

I've never seen Alien before and many parts of the movie confused me at some parts. Didn't know what the big white dudes were and didn't know where the alien came from at the end. Wouldn't there have been 2 inside the guys who first died?

Liquidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#150  Edited By Liquidus

Wow, I can't believe how many people walked into this under the guise it was gonna be a direct prequel to Alien. It's barely qualifies as a prequel, only in the sense that it takes place before Alien and is in the same universe. Regardless, I loved the movie. It answered enough of it's own questions to remain coherent and satisfying and leaves some unanswered so we can have discussions about it.