• 69 results
#1 Edited by DarthOrange (3858 posts) -

What the hell happened to this site? Now there are ads embedded in the forums?

Is this going to be the new norm? I didn't actually watch the Big Live Live Show but was it just them saying "subscribe because the ads are only going to get worse"?

Edit: I even spelled sponsored wrong I'm so pissed.

#2 Posted by Demoskinos (14722 posts) -

Wow, that... that is kind of over the line. All the banner and site skin ads are one thing but invading the forums is kind of gross.

#3 Posted by Petiew (1341 posts) -

Yeah I just noticed this. Really terrible looking.

#4 Posted by DarthOrange (3858 posts) -

The Irony!

#5 Posted by Thoseposers (782 posts) -

@DarthOrange: Inception!

#6 Posted by Meltac (2000 posts) -

Weird, I see them when I am on my phone, but not when on my laptop. Still really annoying either way, and I hope that the guys will realize that it doesn't work.

#7 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3043 posts) -

The "About these links" thing says it's from something called nRelate? Never heard of it, but this is bizarre to say the least. Let's hope we hear feedback instead of silence from the staff this time.

#8 Posted by SeanFoster (866 posts) -

That is a bummer.

#9 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Sucktoberfest up ins.

None of those links have anything to do with the topic or the site. Except the post about how shitty the links are, I guess.

I wonder how much traffic Giant Bomb will lose simply because some new duder will see these links and never visit the site again.

#10 Edited by Inkerman (1451 posts) -

Ok, this is kind of fucking bullshit. I mean yay subscribing and all that, and ads are (mostly) fine, but this is a bit much because it messes directly with the community.

#11 Posted by ajamafalous (11938 posts) -
lolwhat. 

Is this for real? I might be fucking done with this site if they're just going to throw the integrity of the forums by the wayside.
#12 Posted by GunstarRed (5100 posts) -

I know if I just get another year I could remove them, so why does their inclusion make me not want to pay for another year?

#13 Posted by snide (2413 posts) -

@DarthOrange: This is a bug. I'm fixing now. Should go out shortly.

#14 Posted by FourWude (2261 posts) -

Fuck off with these sponsored links in the forums or I stop coming to this site. The front page skins are bad enough.

#15 Posted by Akrid (1356 posts) -

Wow. That's just about the worst place I can think of to put ads.

They also bafflingly show up on the status section of a user's page.

#16 Posted by AlisterCat (5522 posts) -

I sent dave a tweet so he could see it, if he hasn't already. Oops, looks like he's already here.

#17 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

Oh great and this is bypassing adblock too.

#18 Posted by Coafi (1483 posts) -

Yeah, I just noticed this too, I was going to make a thread about it. Not cool, that shit is distracting. Is this only visible to the free users?

#19 Posted by TheHT (11090 posts) -

At least section it off so it doesn't look like it's actually a PART of the first post.

#20 Edited by Ursus_Veritas (383 posts) -

I was just writing a thread of my own, glad to see it's not just me seeing them! 

But yeah, this is kinda gross. Whilst I'm not a paid member, I disable adblocker on Giant Bomb as a show of support, and don't mind the site skins we usually get and whatnot... but directly imbedding advertisements into forum posts is just a bit much, personally. Feels a little too invasive. I hope this is just an advertiser misunderstanding that the team can deal with - and hopefully get rid of - because if this sort of invasive advertising is coming to Giant Bomb, I won't hesitate to put it onto Adblocker. Ads like these don't make me want to subscribe at all, it's just... kinda shady to me. 

Edit: Thanks for the quick response to the situation, @snide!

#21 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3043 posts) -

Good to know it's a bug. The sad part is how easy it was to assume that it wasn't a bug, but that's a sad side-effect of most of the advertising related topics going ignored by the staff.

#22 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (1990 posts) -

It's a bug. Chill out. I doubt that the forums would be targeted by in-post links. That's just begging for fanbase genocide. It should have been obvious that it was a spill over from the posts the staff makes, since they have them too. In the exact same format.

I can't even see the links, anyways.

#23 Posted by Legend (2658 posts) -

Nice to see them put CBSi and subscribers money to good use..

#24 Posted by Jeff (3464 posts) -

@TheHT said:

At least section it off so it doesn't look like it's actually a PART of the first post.

I believe they're supposed to be clearly separated from the post. Not sure what's up with that, forwarding this along to see about getting it fixed.

Staff
#25 Posted by Zekhariah (697 posts) -

It worried me, but then I realized I had not logged in.

Seems like a okay inclusion to me. Although I guess it might be nicer if the sponsored area had a drop shadow effect with a slightly different color. And hopefully those do not become random links in articles.

#26 Posted by TobbRobb (4588 posts) -

GAH kill it with fire.

#27 Posted by alexisg (379 posts) -

@Jeff: This is ridiculous! I quit!

Oh wait... this was obviously unintended and someone is fixing this? Ok I guess I'll stay around.

Staff
#28 Posted by geirr (2508 posts) -

@snide said:

@DarthOrange: This is a bug. I'm fixing now. Should go out shortly.

Strange bug. Hopefully not a sign of things to come.

#29 Posted by ShaggE (6401 posts) -

@Legend said:

Nice to see them put CBSi and subscribers money to good use..

Yeah, sites with money NEVER have bugs...

#30 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3043 posts) -

@alexisg said:

@Jeff: This is ridiculous! I quit!

Oh wait... this was obviously unintended and someone is fixing this? Ok I guess I'll stay around.

You say "obviously" as though the advertisements on this site weren't already getting stranger and stranger. To be honest, I have no idea what's considered out of the question anymore.

#32 Posted by ripelivejam (3719 posts) -

can always count on the internet to overreact, when already 3 staff members have interjected and said they're working on it.

#33 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

That membership is really worth it guys...

#34 Posted by FourWude (2261 posts) -

If Jeff's comment is correct, then the sponsored links are here to stay, just made more "separate" I.e. highlighted and distinct from the posts.... Which just makes things even worse.

#35 Posted by DarthOrange (3858 posts) -

Wow the staff was quick to respond on this. Good to know that this isn't going to stay this way.

#36 Posted by ripelivejam (3719 posts) -

@FourWude: still wouldn't be obtrusive at all.

if it sickens you so much, get adblock, just know you won't be supporting these guys at all if you do that.

#37 Posted by Witzig (327 posts) -

@ripelivejam: But adblock doesn't block the links.

#38 Posted by FourWude (2261 posts) -

@ripelivejam said:

if it sickens you so much, get adblock, just know you won't be supporting these guys at all if you do that.

I support the site by visiting. I also support by not being too bothered by game adverts being plastered all over the front page, though it's egregious. But pray tell me what does a link in the forums about Anders Bleikik, which is a year out of date, in news terms, got to do with GB? Are we gonna have condom adverts next, which knowing the GB community would be a complete waste and lost on them.

#39 Posted by MetalGearSunny (6988 posts) -

Oh my god this is a sign of bad things to come how dare they try make a profit using ad revenue like literally every other video game website 

#40 Edited by ripelivejam (3719 posts) -

@FourWude said:

@ripelivejam said:

I support the site by visiting. I also support by not being too bothered by game adverts being plastered all over the front page, though it's egregious. But pray tell me what does a link in the forums about Anders Bleikik, which is a year out of date, in news terms, got to do with GB? Are we gonna have condom adverts next, which knowing the GB community would be a complete waste and lost on them.

you really haven't seen that many other sites have you? even with those (yes admittedly random and completely non-gaming-related) links in the forums the ads really aren't obtrusive in the least. think someone posted an image of the escapist which showed it nearly plastered with ads. they are popular and get a good deal of subscriptions but in the end this is their business, not a charity, and they need to generate that revenue somehow from the hundreds/thousands of non-paying visitors to this site. if one more ad is indicating some sort of slippery slope to you i'm sorry, but it hardly warrants the overblown reactions here.

edit: i plan to pay them with a subscription soon especially after the incredible #teambrad moment of the big live live show, but money is tight right now so i'll "put up" with the ads a little longer.

#41 Posted by ImpendingFoil (555 posts) -

A lot of forums I go to have advertising between posts so it is nothing new. Hopefully they fix it so it doesn't look so godawful as it was in the picture.

#42 Posted by FourWude (2261 posts) -

@ripelivejam:

The irony of your post is that this has happened after the acquisition by CBSi, a multi billion dollar company. And lo and behold, the integrity of GB has quickly been sold in the name of the holy profit. Every penny matters though, I'm sure. Sponsored links, page skin adverts, routine adverts around the site... Ok. Why stop there, sell even more page space to adverts. Sell video space to advertisers, not just adverts, I'm sure Jeff can tell us how great Dominos pizza tastes in the middle of a Quick Look.

#43 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (1215 posts) -

ITS ALL OVER MY PROFILE!! FUUUUCCCKK.

#44 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

I'm usually supportive of what GB does and I think a lot of the reactions to the ads in the last couple of months have been pretty overblown. Sponsored links are extremely bad though.

#45 Posted by ripelivejam (3719 posts) -

@FourWude: well they're gone for now, you can calm down.

#46 Posted by Vexxan (4618 posts) -

Wow, that looks really bad, good thing Top Men fixed it.

#47 Posted by alternate (2693 posts) -

@FourWude

Your suggestion seems to be that GB used to turn down intrusive ads and site skins. While that might have once been the lofty ideal I bet near the end they would have taken any ads they could get - they just couldn't get them. CBS has a whole department who can sell ad space, they just need educating on where the line is drawn.

In the long run though a site has to pay its own way. So if you want free content you get ads. The fact that these sort of ads are not easy to block suggests why advertisers are interested in them.

#48 Posted by alternate (2693 posts) -

@ImpendingFoil said:

A lot of forums I go to have advertising between posts so it is nothing new. Hopefully they fix it so it doesn't look so godawful as it was in the picture.

Indeed, some like neogaf for example, will straight out ban you if you even suggest that you use an adblocker.. They are cunts though :-O

#49 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2020 posts) -

I'm surprised at how intense the reaction to sponsored links is! They're pretty bad, but I haven't found them that bothersome to throw my arms up in resignation towards a website. Maybe it's just that I'm so used to ads on forums I used to frequent.

At this point, isn't the approach to ads now under CBSi's jurisdiction, too?

#50 Posted by InsidiousBliss (38 posts) -

Sponsors? Stranger danger!