• 187 results
#1 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

The site known as That Guy With The Glasses. The site where fellow critics gather like Linkara and Nostalgia critic.

Basically. Things are IMPLODING on there massively, after a rape joke from Spoony to another member JesuOtaku I believe. His attitude got him banned from the site by his own damn fans and now the ENTIRE place is on lock down in terms of the insanity going on within it. Many people have been saying the site has been dying lately and I think we may be seeing the beginning effects with this, many members are on neutral terms with Spoony yet some other members and MANY of the users are attacking his guts. While those trying to defend him, Linkara mainly, are getting lambasted by his own fans for protecting a sexist or something. (I think Linkara is just trying to help a buddy out IMO at least.)

All the while a literally battle with critics is going on in Twitter. Spoony is attacking ANYONE who enters his domain as others just keep coming to insult him and attack him. Hell, just recently JonTron. A newish internet reviewer of rising fame who had started videos thanks to Spoony is now done with the the guy.

In real life however it seems like Spoony is having some sort of breakdown in terms of mental and heart related stress. He seems to have a form of either depression and or anger control issues due to how bad his looks have been getting lately. All the while he has said in the past that he doesn't have a good heart. So the kettle finally exploded and now the shrapnel is basically killing anything next to it.

I don't blame Spoony IMO. Even though the sexist remarks he made do make him a jerkass while also attacking his fanbase. Spoony has just lost it... kinda a Phil Fish sorta deal going on. I may hate the guy myself but I know when someone needs help from professionals and I am willing to forgive the guy in time as long as he sane enough and not sarcastic in his apology to his fans... which I may not be apart of but still.

No one knows what is happening now. But That Guy With The Glasses is feeling it alongside many of the members there. I also feel bad for Linkara for just trying to keep the peace in such a hellish hole of no return, he seems like a legitimately nice guy.

A lot of this seems like build up stress within the website That Guy With The Glasses. This actually might create it's downfall, if advertisers pull ALL ads from the site they will not stay in business any longer. All the while the crossover episodes seem to be bringing out the worst of people within that site and I feel like they may be hating on each other to the point of self destruction. If they had any stock price stuff I would pull all money out now due to how insane things are getting.

So yep... Spoony finally lost it... that is the to long didn't read paragraph right here!

More info just came in, it is also either JesuOtaku or Obscurous Lupa is instigating this entire thing and is poking the lion known as fans with a flaming pointy stick. She is going on a warpath on anyone who is going against her from defending herself and attacking Spoony... basically, a clusterfuck is happening gentlemen... and gentlewomen. Grab the popcorn!

NEWEST RUMOR! Lupa and Phelous may be leaving next from That Guy With The Glasses due to all this insanity. Just a rumor so far!

Another interesting fact, tension seemed to start building since E3 where Spoony had a massive spat with a X-Com developer and they entire website of ChannelAwesome or something got banned from doing interviews there again... So yeah, this has been building up... A LOT.

What are your thoughts upon this situation?

#2 Posted by FateOfNever (1814 posts) -

I have never heard of any of these sites or people before in my life. That's my thought on this situation.

#3 Posted by Phatmac (5721 posts) -

I think you put too much faith in us to actually believe that we would care about internet drama.

#4 Edited by connerthekewlkid (1803 posts) -

i dont think the entire site will fall because 1 of 20 reviewers they have there got fired

#5 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

@FateOfNever said:

I have never heard of any of these sites or people before in my life. That's my thought on this situation.

Nostalgia Critic... This guy helps run the site.

He is pretty damn famous online... just saying...

But yeah, this sounds like a clusterfuck in terms of hatred being spewed all around. Kinda guessed this was going to happen though. Tensions have been rising in the site for a while now... I was actually expecting only a little outrage over something but nothing THIS big though.

#6 Posted by ThePickle (4153 posts) -

Um, well, good luck with all of that.

#7 Posted by AckbarTheGreat (419 posts) -

Man, I used to really like TGWTG. Then the decline quality started and I left. Still really sad to see the place go under, even if I haven't been there in years.

#8 Edited by Zacagawea (1581 posts) -

You might need to get out more

#9 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

Why do you think we would care? At all? Seriously? Internet drama is literally the lamest shit ever, especially when we don't KNOW ANYTHING about what you are talking about.

#10 Posted by FateOfNever (1814 posts) -

@Jay444111 said:

@FateOfNever said:

Nostalgia Critic... This guy helps run the site.

He is pretty damn famous online... just saying...

But yeah, this sounds like a clusterfuck in terms of hatred being spewed all around. Kinda guessed this was going to happen though. Tensions have been rising in the site for a while now... I was actually expecting only a little outrage over something but nothing THIS big though.

Yeah, still no idea who that is. Good for him for being internet famous I guess though. Except for the part where this apparently went bad for a lot of internet famous people because they can't control themselves.

#11 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

@Phatmac said:

I think you put too much faith in us to actually believe that we would care about internet drama.

Hey... people like drama... just throwing this out there for those people...

@connerthekewlkid said:

i dont think the entire site will fall because 1 of 20 reviewers they have there got fired

Actually this is causing quite a divide in fandoms. Many people like Spoony and many hate him and these two sides usually have other video reviewers they like on the site either going on the other side they are on so this is causing some major fandom hatred to pour out. If you hate Spoony, no more views, if you like Spoony, no more views... it is a lose/lost situation going on right now for anyone who is trying to take a side.

#12 Posted by SexualBubblegumX (542 posts) -

Damns I knew he wasn't there anymore but I had no clue why. Just damns dude.

#13 Posted by Skyrider (330 posts) -

First and foremost, JesuOtaku did not instigate anything. Even though the "joke" was directed at her, she brushed it off immediately and didn't get involved with the ensuing drama at all. She handled this situation better than anyone else.

Spoony, nor anyone else from TGWTG has been "banned" from E3. He was there this year along with a few other Channel Awesome people like Angry Joe and JewWario. Hell, he interviewed the Firaxis dudes (the same two that were on GB's E3 bombcast) and some other devs at E3 this year (also, there was no "spat" between him and any developers. All he did was yell betrayal in a recap video with Angry Joe sometime after seeing a demo of the other X-Com game).

Honestly, this is not as big of a deal as you're making it out to be. The website isn't going to implode just because they fired Spoony. Both will do just fine. Spoony has a big enough fanbase as it is and if not being on TGWTG forces him to make videos more often, things will only improve for him. Also, Phelous and Lupa aren't leaving TGWTG. They have no reason to.

#14 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

Oh I love me some internet drama, e-celebrities and youtube stars you never dissapoint.

#15 Posted by ShaggE (6325 posts) -

As long as the Nostalgia Critic is still screaming about movies and answering dumb questions with bizarre rants, I'm good. That's all I need out of that site.

#16 Edited by Hyperglide (149 posts) -

I'm a fan of the TGWTG site and a fan of Spoony but this has all the trappings of a bad soap opera script. They are just acting like drama queens and the whole situation is laughable. It's quite pathetic.

There's a reason why some of these 'reviewers' aren't pro's. Sure I'll keep watching their future reviews, but the whole situation should've been handled behind closed doors not in the social networking sites and internet.

Lots of people battle depression and anger management issues. Just because you are somewhat popular in nerd culture doesn't mean you should spew a megalomaniacal rant on Twitter. And Spoony was actually just starting to get recognized too. It's a shame.

#17 Posted by aquamarin (555 posts) -

@FateOfNever said:

#18 Posted by Soapy86 (2620 posts) -

How long before one of the Bombcrew makes a rape joke and Giant Bomb implodes?

#19 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2224 posts) -

I only ever watched Nostalgia Critic videos if I ever visitted that site because everything else was just annoying.

And even then I stopped watching those because it was the same exact thing repeated every single video, just like the Angry Video Game Nerd and Zero Punctuation.

Ashens, however, will never get old for me

#20 Posted by JJOR64 (18906 posts) -

I really only cared for NC. Everything else on the site I didn't really care for. Haven't watched him in a long time so that shows you how much I pay attention to that site.

#21 Posted by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -

I have literally no clue who any of these people are. They all sound dumb.

#22 Posted by Hailinel (23868 posts) -

Spoony sounds vaguely familiar, but I don't know from where.

#23 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4970 posts) -

Reminds me that I should probably catch up on the NC's videos.

...Nah.

#24 Posted by Hyperglide (149 posts) -

@Soapy86 said:

How long before one of the Bombcrew makes a rape joke and Giant Bomb implodes?

I lost.. :D

#25 Posted by Hyperglide (149 posts) -

@SomeDeliCook said:

I only ever watched Nostalgia Critic videos if I ever visitted that site because everything else was just annoying.

And even then I stopped watching those because it was the same exact thing repeated every single video, just like the Angry Video Game Nerd and Zero Punctuation.

Ashens, however, will never get old for me

Agreed I only go there for 3 reviewers. The rest are crap. But what are you gonna do. Gotta separate the whey from the chaff.

#26 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -

@Phatmac said:

I think you're full of shit. If this was happening on Giantbomb, you would certainly care.

But whatever. Have fun pretending to be "above it all", you glorious patrician.

#27 Posted by 2HeadedNinja (1540 posts) -

Hmm, too bad. I don't follow that site very close but Spoony is kinda entertaining.

#28 Posted by xdaknightx69 (448 posts) -

who are these people?

#29 Posted by Dexter_Morgan_ (314 posts) -

No judgement but... I think you need to .... not care so much about this stuff. It amazes me how obsessive this community is. I can't name one single staff member, but some of you know their whole life story....

I'm not judging because I can be creepy too, especially to female celebrities and even fictional characters, but not bomber staff. Not my kind of thing i guess.

#30 Posted by JordanK85 (140 posts) -

The OP made me feel like I was watching Glenn Beck and I don't even watch Glenn Beck.

#31 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4307 posts) -

Who?

#32 Posted by august (3826 posts) -
@JordanK85 said:
The OP made me feel like I was watching Glenn Beck and I don't even watch Glenn Beck.
BUY GOLD

BURY IT IN YOUR BACK YARD
#33 Posted by roninenix (119 posts) -

I've always thought Spoony was somewhat entertaining. Never heard of those other guys though.

Really don't understand why all these people are attacking him on twitter if they're not his fans anyway. Especially after someone else mentioning in the thread that the girl it was directed towards just brushed it off. If these users are his followers, just send him a message saying that's not cool in anyway and if they're not his followers they really just need to drop it. They'll forget about it the next day.

Then again, people are just... idiots that love to hate on someone to be apart of something?

#34 Posted by Phatmac (5721 posts) -

@Meowshi said:

@Phatmac said:

I think you're full of shit. If this was happening on Giantbomb, you would certainly care.

Normally I don't meet dicks on this site so congrats on being one of the first! Judging from the comments on this thread my assertion that this random internet drama on a site that has no interaction with GB is strange was correct!

#35 Posted by Phatmac (5721 posts) -

@Dany said:

Why do you think we would care? At all? Seriously? Internet drama is literally the lamest shit ever, especially when we don't KNOW ANYTHING about what you are talking about.

#36 Posted by CornBREDX (4793 posts) -

Your spreading a lot of misinformation. Then again, you are Jay so... whatever haha

Anywho, whatever- they are all amateur critics and they don't know how to handle their communities. Well, for the most part. Spoony has always been the worst about it. He cant keep his mouth shut and people get pissed off. It's why he got "internet famous" in the first place.

Drama... who needs it?

#37 Posted by Apathylad (3066 posts) -

The only series on that site I watch regularly is the Nostalgia Critic. To be honest, I don't think most of the staff are very funny, but I do know Spoony was one of the bigger personalities on that site. The situation is really ugly. You have Spoony telling everyone off like he doesn't care anymore, and then you have other personalities calling him out on his behavior. The TGWTG staff have said that Spoony's firing has nothing to do with the feud between the co-workers, but I'm having my doubts on that. I know Lupa was the most outspoken about it, here's her tumblr on the subject:

http://obscuruslupa.tumblr.com/post/25520368206/the-uncomfortable-subject-of-rape-jokes

And here's the statement:

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/thenews/35675-a-farewell-to-noah-antwiler-aka-spoonyone-with-ca

#38 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

I didn't even really know Spoony was with TGWTG. I knew he showed up in some crossover videos and had some people in his but I never went to TGWTG for Spoony's videos. Always went to his site. I kinda always saw him as a more popular "friend of the site" but I was not very familiar with the way TGWTG worked.

#39 Edited by wordfalling (193 posts) -

@CornBREDX said:

Your spreading a lot of misinformation. Then again, you are Jay so... whatever haha

I'm still not used to his new user icon, it was better when it was a ZP cap, now his threads are less easy to ignore.

#40 Posted by Jimbo (9772 posts) -

Spoony and Linkara, sitting in a tree, I have no idea what you're talking about.

#41 Posted by Draxyle (1790 posts) -

It's really sad. I typically only watch the NC on that site, but I always thought that Spoony was the second best talent there. I've watched a few of his video series and I always loved his crossover stuff; he was legitimately entertaining.

Spoony is being a pompous jerk here, but I can't be too angry at him. The guy just needs professional help, badly. This is the typical case of a comedian hitting rock bottom and I just hope he can bounce back from this without more disaster.

#42 Posted by avidwriter (667 posts) -

I only ever watch Nostalgic Critic. However the past few months I guess starting around Dec 11 he's not been that funny. Most of his reviews now he resuses bad jokes or just drags them out way too long. I'll give him a few more reviews before I dump him completely.

#43 Edited by Hyperglide (149 posts) -

Spoony's best stuff was his FFVIII review, FFX review and Phantasmagoria Let's Play. I happened to stumble upon him by accident when he made his FFVIII reviews a few years back. If know one know's who he is check out his FFVIII review, at least if you are even mildly interested in this debacle. It is entertaining.

#44 Posted by corewalker (35 posts) -

@Dany said:

#45 Posted by andrew2696 (293 posts) -

@Hyperglide: His SWAT Let's Play were always highlights of funny moments for me.

#46 Posted by Turambar (6675 posts) -

The absurdity of reporting on internet drama aside, the fact that the people involved are 100% unrelated to this site and unknown to the bulk of us no matter how internet famous you think they are makes this thread fully meaningless.

#47 Posted by sBlacksmith (77 posts) -

Kelly Oxford just did a male rape joke. MRA activate!

#48 Posted by TvsFranksWildYears (26 posts) -

The only reviewer I watch with any regularity from TGWTG is The Cinema Snob, and I usually just go to his website for his videos.

#49 Posted by kidman (465 posts) -

I like internet drama, makes me laugh.

#50 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -

@Phatmac said:

@Meowshi said:

@Phatmac said:

Normally I don't meet dicks on this site so congrats on being one of the first!

This is a common trolling technique. Subtly insult someone while pretending that you object to the vitriolic nature of internet forums. It's not very clever, and easy to see through.

@Phatmac said:

Judging from the comments on this thread my assertion that this random internet drama on a site that has no interaction with GB is strange was correct!

Your assertion, at least originally, seemed to be that internet drama was stupid and that no one of your caliber of intelligence would ever indulge in such frivolities. I was just pointing out, that if this internet drama were centered around a site you care about, such as Giantbomb, you certainly would care.

Of course, now I'm more interested in the fact that you've repeatedly posted in this thread that you don't care about the topic, but have seemingly made no attempt at ignoring it? I'm also curious as to why you are so offended that this topic has "no interaction with GB" despite the fact that this is the OFF-TOPIC forums.

My first post was not me being a jerk. It was me pointing out your hypocrisy and intentional thread-shitting. Sorry you missed that.