Spy Kids 4 is surprisingly dark

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

#1  Edited By audioBusting

I watched the last 20 minutes of Spy Kids: All the Time in the World on TV and boy it is dark. Oh, spoiler alert, if anyone cares about the story in Spy Kids 4.

The villain's (named Timekeeper, I think) backstory is that he is frozen in time in a laboratory accident as a boy and watches his father work himself to death trying to unfreeze him. He is unfrozen when some people found some kind of sapphire from outer space that disables the time machine, but by then he is a traumatized adult mind in a kid's body. He wants to go back in time and unfreeze himself to save his father, so he becomes a supervillain who makes all sorts of time machine. It is revealed at the end that all of his minions are his future alternate-selves who went back in time after they all failed to save his father to help their past self to succeed. He succeeds going back to the past, but his older self returns to the present seconds later, I think after his father dies (spoiler: everybody dies) to tell the spy kids that being fixated on the past is pointless and that we should live for the future. Note that he is a very old man at this point. He is saying that his entire time-looped life has been pointless. The spies arrested one of his future selves who went mad and the spy baby beats his ass.

This makes me feel sad.

Have you ever seen anything like this in a book/movie/game/etc, where some parts of it is incredibly dark while the rest of it is incredible shitty family-friendly bullshit?

pakalolobro420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By pakalolobro420

sounds good

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wot

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Sackmanjones

Thanks?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By musubi

Spoilers: Aeris Dies

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By habster3

@Demoskinos said:

Spoilers: Aeris Dies

You fucking monster, I was still playing that!

Sounds kind of dark, admittedly. Still, I'd prefer for my children's entertainment with some dark elements to be of good quality (not very common, but I can think of a couple of cases).

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Petiew

RIP in peace Timekeeper. That does sound pretty dark though, but more interesting than the usual outcome of these movies. I remember loving the first Spy Kids when I was young, but it was probably awful even at the time.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Baillie

@Petiew said:

RIP in peace

Still can't get over how fucking stupid that phrase is, it's like people forget what they're saying. Not directing this towards you, Petiew, it's just fucking horrible to read. Rip in piece makes ZERO sense even read aloud.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Petiew
@Baillie: Oh yeah, I know it's terrible and makes no sense. It's mostly just used when you're not being entirely serious, like lamenting the death of a fictional character.
I asume that's how most others use it as well, the amount of people that say "Rest in peace in peace" seriously are few and far between.
dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By dichemstys

I really liked the second movie, HATED all the rest.

paulwade1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By paulwade1984

oh yeah. kids tv is full of little nudges and winks for the parents to enjoy.

ever watched mr.tumble?

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By iamjohn

I forgot they made a Spy Kids 4.

MaxxS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MaxxS

@Baillie said:

@Petiew said:

RIP in peace

Still can't get over how fucking stupid that phrase is, it's like people forget what they're saying. Not directing this towards you, Petiew, it's just fucking horrible to read. Rip in piece makes ZERO sense even read aloud.

It's so obvious that people who say that aren't being serious that I can't tell if you're being serious or not.

Stimpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Stimpack

@MaxxS: It's stupid. People are stupid.

darkvare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By darkvare

the whole movie is on youtube for some reason

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MarkWahlberg

@MaxxS said:

@Baillie said:

@Petiew said:

RIP in peace

It's so obvious that people who say that aren't being serious that I can't tell if you're being serious or not.

PIN number.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow. The first 3 were so cheesy and innocent.

And shitty.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SomeDeliCook
@Baillie said:

@Petiew said:

RIP in peace

ATM machine
Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By colourful_hippie

@pakalolobro420 said:

sounds good

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MikkaQ

Spy Kids 1 was dark as shit too, it dealt with mutation/mutilation and lobotomy/mind control from what I remember. Also years later we get their cool uncle Machete's gory-as-hell R-rated origin story and you realize that he's gone though a lot of shit in his life that the Spy Kids couldn't even begin to imagine.

EDIT: Okay, reading the wikipedia entry they all work for the OSS which is a WWII era spy agency that was supposed to have been disbanded in 1945, so really every spy in the movie is a rogue fucking agent, children included. And I wasn't far off with the mutation, it was about a fucked up TV show cast entirely by captured spies that have been mutated by a crazy machine and forced into a kid's show. So man. Spy Kids, guys. Dark as hell.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@Petiew said:

@Baillie: Oh yeah, I know it's terrible and makes no sense. It's mostly just used when you're not being entirely serious, like lamenting the death of a fictional character. I asume that's how most others use it as well, the amount of people that say "Rest in peace in peace" seriously are few and far between.

RIP in Reeses Pieces

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By Hunter5024

That sounds fucking radical. Having read this, I don't really feel like I need to see this movie, and yet, now that I have read it, I wish I had seen it. Obviously the only solution to this problem is time travel.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#23  Edited By cornbredx

I'm not sure what I just read but I wanted to say... doesn't Robert Rodriguez make those movies? Not surprised at all it's kinda dark.  
It's also really dumb. =P

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#24  Edited By big_jon

YEAH SPYKIDZ!

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

#25  Edited By audioBusting

@CornBREDX said:

I'm not sure what I just read but I wanted to say... doesn't Robert Rodriguez make those movies? Not surprised at all it's kinda dark. It's also really dumb. =P

Oh wow you're right. He produced Spy Kids 4 after Machete (according to Wikipedia).

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By inkerman

I dunno if you'd call it a kids movie, but in that batman movie with Poison Ivy, when she creates Bane (I think) she basically tortures a dude and it's super fucking graphic. Also the tunnel part in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (the original). That is the most terrifying scene in any movie ever.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By jkz

@SomeDeliCook said:

@Baillie said:

@Petiew said:

RIP in peace

ATM machine

ISBN Number...seriously fucking stop it you guys