#1 Edited by BaconGames (3137 posts) -

This has been something I pondered a bit since the New Year and a bit after Patrick moved and Ryan tragically passed away. The work that Drew and others have done to become regulars on stuff like the Bombcast has been a delight but I think they and we all realize that this site needs to grow. This was even true when Ryan was still with us and it's an even more important question now.

With that said, we all know how important the roster is to the site and while trepidation and friction is inevitable (however unfortunate it's become over the years since Alex and Patrick have become more and more prominent), it's not a decision that should be made lightly. In almost complete contradiction, I actually want this to be somewhat of a springboard for lighthearted suggestions alongside serious ones.

So, who do you think would be a good new hire for Giant Bomb Dot Com?

#2 Posted by IroN1c (281 posts) -

Probably no one?

But if they need to get one, get the Irishman.

#3 Posted by Clonedzero (3726 posts) -

A wizard, none of this monk bullshit.

#4 Edited by HatKing (5568 posts) -

Me. I'm really good at ignoring idiots on the internet. And also good at getting drunk and playing games. That's pretty much this job, right?

#5 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

Jeff said the staff better grow this year. So I want three new people that no one has ever heard of to join the staff. Everyone will hate them for like two years, then it'll be ok.

#6 Edited by Newfangled (4 posts) -

Danny O'Dwyer.

Vinny's brother.

(new account; old user. something something email address something something accounts)

#7 Posted by Sessh (560 posts) -

@iron1c said:

Danny would just be amazing. It's not gonna happen though.

#8 Posted by Eladren (62 posts) -

I expect after finishing massive chalice Brad Muir will incorporate to the staff

#9 Posted by GunstarRed (4733 posts) -

MC Skat Kat.

#10 Posted by planetfunksquad (369 posts) -

John Drake. He could use his management experience to go to meetings for Jeff, freeing him up for videos. Also he would add at least 40% more sexy to the site.

#11 Edited by crusader8463 (14321 posts) -

Me.

#12 Posted by TheMasterDS (1867 posts) -

@eladren said:

I expect after finishing massive chalice Brad Muir will incorporate to the staff

I would say Jeff Green is more likely than Brad Muir since he's not employed by Popcap anymore. I don't think Brad wants to give up game developing any time soon. He might do some guesting when he has more free time.

#14 Posted by Video_Game_King (34617 posts) -

I'm hoping @rorie comes into the thread, says "Absolutely no one", and then drops the fucking mic. (By which I mean "he locks the thread".)

#15 Posted by BiffMcBlumpkin (3719 posts) -

I predict Brad will go from 5'6" to 6'1" and Jeff will hire a suspiciously attractive mantern.

#16 Posted by The_Nubster (1951 posts) -

Leigh Alexander.

#17 Posted by iragequit (329 posts) -

On personality alone, Danny O'Dwyer and Jeff Green would be nice.

#18 Edited by achoyq (113 posts) -

@iron1c said:

Probably no one?

YES

#19 Edited by geirr (2381 posts) -
#20 Edited by Pocky4Th3Win (126 posts) -

On personality alone, Danny O'Dwyer and Jeff Green would be nice.

That's got my vote!

#21 Edited by Kedi2 (229 posts) -

@eladren said:

I would say Jeff Green is more likely than Brad Muir since he's not employed by Popcap anymore. I don't think Brad wants to give up game developing any time soon. He might do some guesting when he has more free time.

Jeff Green has a job, he's been unable to announce what it is though. He said he'll be able to reveal his new job either later this week or next week. He has also gone out of his way to say his new job is not Giant Bomb.

#22 Posted by MB (11302 posts) -

It's Jeff Green. I know because my uncle works at Nintendo.

#23 Posted by crithon (2582 posts) -

they eventually sell Giantbomb to CBS interactive and then work for Twitch TV and then only cover league of legends and mock dota2.

#24 Posted by Chaser324 (5967 posts) -

Of the people mentioned thus far, I'd say Jeff Green is the only one that even could happen.

#25 Edited by Oldirtybearon (4282 posts) -

Out of curiosity why do people want the GB staff to get bigger? I don't mean hiring engineers or production people but actual editors? The appeal of Giant Bomb is that it's a small group of people doing fun/dumb stuff. The larger the editorial staff gets, the less connected and (for lack of a better term) intimate the whole thing is.

#26 Posted by l4wd0g (1819 posts) -

Danny O'Dwyer FTW! Seriously, his gentleman's penis would be a great addition. Also, Vinny wouldn't be the only one who might say, "cunt" on the podcast.

#27 Posted by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -

Carrie Gouskos.

#28 Edited by narujoe93 (2446 posts) -

@video_game_king said:

I'm hoping @rorie comes into the thread, says "Absolutely no one", and then drops the fucking mic. (By which I mean "he locks the thread".)

Jeff has said many a time that he wants more people on board, so I doubt that will happen.

Anyway, to answer the op's question. It doesn't really matter to me. Jeff and the rest of them will have to okay any knew hire, and that gives me enough confidence. They know how this site works best, so me or anyone else telling them who to hire is pointless, since they are the best judge of character for that sort of thing. What Im saying is: I trust them and their judgement. Whatever they want is cool.

#29 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4038 posts) -

Out of curiosity why do people want the GB staff to get bigger? I don't mean hiring engineers or production people but actual editors? The appeal of Giant Bomb is that it's a small group of people doing fun/dumb stuff. The larger the editorial staff gets, the less connected and (for lack of a better term) intimate the whole thing is.

I think people just want a couple new faces around because it could potentially mean more content and shit like that. I don't think anyone here wants it to become so big that it loses that very appeal you speak of.

#30 Posted by Rorie (2094 posts) -

We are indeed hoping to hire a few more people in the near future. No current ETA, though.

Staff
#31 Edited by Video_Game_King (34617 posts) -

@video_game_king said:

Jeff has said many a time that he wants more people on board, so I doubt that will happen.

Which is what would make it such an amazing response.

#32 Posted by PandaBear (1264 posts) -

The blonde chick from The Big Bang. Not the nerdy one, the other one. Hire her.

#33 Posted by weegieanawrench (1918 posts) -

^ Jeff Green confirmed

#34 Posted by bigjeffrey (4163 posts) -

Matt Rorie

#35 Posted by thebunnyhunter (1213 posts) -

Now when i say my pick i just want you to think about it for a second......Keanu Reeves. Imagine him being Keanu Reeves (a bill and ted version, point break, the matrix version) during am unprofessional friday, breaking brad, a mail bag....it would be amazing. Get on it Rorie

#36 Posted by TheHT (10287 posts) -

Mel Gibson

#37 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5120 posts) -

A trusted source told me that Nick Cannon will be joining the GB crew next month.

#38 Edited by GeneralBison (196 posts) -

A talking dog

#39 Posted by Wilshere (253 posts) -

Leigh Alexander.

Oh god no!

Carrie Gouskos.

That would be nice. But i think she is busy being a producer producing produce. I think Jeff Green mentioned finding new work, GB would be awesome. Brad Muir is probably never leaving development.

Then there is, Dave. Hell yeah!

#40 Posted by Trilogy (2570 posts) -

Carrie Gouskos and Jeff Green would be my picks, but I doubt either is likely to happen. Other than those two, I honestly don't know. I'm kind of excited to see it happen, though. Here's hoping Jeff can convince CBSi to raise their budget (I assume that's the thing stopping them).

#41 Edited by Veektarius (4148 posts) -

Ice T

@generalbison: God, do you have any idea how annoying Rorie would be under those circumstances?

#42 Edited by Kidavenger (3380 posts) -

Rich Gallup would be my pick, that or, bring back the interns, or even new interns.

#43 Posted by pyromagnestir (3965 posts) -

Cool Baby and Luchadeer. They've been working for free this whole time, it's about time they get a piece of the pie.

The blonde chick from The Big Bang. Not the nerdy one, the other one. Hire her.

That's a CBS show, so technically she already works there.

#44 Posted by DannyHibiki (95 posts) -

It would be nice if they could get a new staff member that was a little more into Japanese games. No love for Shin Megami Tensei IV last year made me sad.

#45 Edited by Marokai (2637 posts) -

At this point I dread any new additions to the staff. All I can hope is that they're mostly behind-the-scenes people who allow the current crew to be more camera more often and free up more time for them in general, as opposed to new people who crowd out the main crew as camera personalities.

#46 Posted by JayEH (512 posts) -

The RZA

#47 Edited by fuzzypumpkin (380 posts) -

@rorie: I'd be more than happy to join the crew. Thanks Rorie! :)

#48 Edited by csl316 (7366 posts) -

Someone brand new that just submits a resume and comes on board. Because quite honestly, some new blood would create a completely new dynamic.

I know they'll just hire some friends, but a fan of games that has knowledge, on-camera skills, the courage to speak up, and the ability to hold a thoughtful conversation would just be way more interesting. But who am I kidding?

Drew worked his way into the fold after starting on video, and his perspective can be so damn unique compared to the other guys. Having someone else gradually build themselves a role like that would be great. But bringing in some Superstar Game Journalist is probably easier, though too similar to a Miami Heat situation (imo).

#49 Posted by shozo (14 posts) -

I guess it's hard to say specifically what to recommend without knowing what they want. Premium content, reviews, video editing, web-design. Quite a number of very specialized skills with moderate to little cross-over. In front of the camera I'd love to see some more diversity. Keza Macdonald would come to mind. I respect her opinion as she is good at articulating what she loves/hates about a specific title.

Is this person going solely cover games or things under the vague umbrella of tech & entertainment culture? I don't jump on board to the wresting or movie coverage as done by Alex and Rorie but I'm sure they are great. I simply have other sites that I prefer that focus and create regular content for those mediums. I go to GB for some great personalities, and Patricks also on the site. (just kidding!)

#50 Posted by DriveupLife (896 posts) -

Personally I think some of the personalities that used to be on the 1UP Show (which Patrick was a series regular) could be great. But NOT the artsy people, Patrick does enough of that. I like Shane Bettenheusen but he would be a too polarizing. Sean Baby? Other dudes on broken pixels?