Nals

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By Nals

@drx25 said:

Has Arthur Gies ever interacted with Giant Bomb before and who is he/why do people seem to despise him?

Picture every complaint ever levied at Patrick Klepek magnified by 10; now add self-righteous posturing and hypocritical flip-flopping. He is the literal worst.

I don't know why I'm so worried about an influx of new editors, but I really think (maybe irrationally) that Giant Bomb would be risking its identity to do that. It's a very specific atmosphere here, and it's one that other sites have tried (and failed) to replicate. If they really need the extra hands then I guess whatever, but the farther we get from four dudes in some basement making parodies of rap beef videos the more I miss that era.

edit: if they absolutely must hire somebody, maybe get Robert Ashley? I don't really care about him writing for the site so much as I want him to have a steady job where he can produce more episodes of A Life Well Wasted. That was a great podcast/radio thing/NPR knock off/whatever.

Well, Jeff has talked about this in his Jar Times. He wants to get the site back to where it was before everything fell apart, and then hopefully grow a bit after that. He doesn't want a huge site ( because you apparently have to do really gross things to keep that going, like top ten lists/ads everywhere. ), just a "medium" sized site. That's why he started putting ads before the Bombcast, because he wanted to see how much money they could be looking for potential growth.

And I kind of agree it'd be good for them. It'd be nice to have a jRPG guy. It'd be nice to have a PC focused guy. It'd be nice to have a guy whose worked in development so they can get some better insider knowledge/coverage. It'd be nice to have some more varied people overall, because while I love them, they skip over tons of games every week because "that isn't something I care enough about to Quicklook, and if I force myself to, it'll be a horrible Quicklook of me being mad about reviewing it.".

The question really is who. Carrie doesn't want to get back into reviewing last I checked. Jeff Green would be expensive as hell with his experience. Danny is working for Gamespot now. Leigh is in the UK now and busy with other things, on top of that she's more of a writer then a screen presence. I see a few people mentioning Jenn, but would she really want to join GB? Not even sure what she does right now. Gallup is busy making games. Jared Rea is a maybe, but I'm guessing he has other plans then getting back into reviewing. Out of any of those, I could maybe see them getting Jared and Jeff, but for Jeff they'd be burning a decent chunk of their budget ( Jeff Green would probably get paid around what JeffG does, if not more. ).

Then again, what do I know. Most of the last year was Jeff trying to prove to CBSI that supporting Giantbomb is a good call, and it sounds like he pulled it off according to his last few Bombcasts. If CBSI believes site growth would be good for their company, they may go all out and grab Green, transfer Danny, and pick up Jared.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#153  Edited By AlexW00d

@oldirtybearon: Robert's wife has a really well paying job in Georgia. He seems perfectly happy living the rural lifestyle and making music. I don't see him moving back to San Francisco.

@drx25 said:

Has Arthur Gies ever interacted with Giant Bomb before and who is he/why do people seem to despise him?

He is in the quick look for Kinectimals: Now with Bears. Him and Jeff also did a panel at PAX one year about reviews. Here it is tacked on at the end of his podcast. It starts around the 1:40 mark. Rebel FM

A lot of people don't like him because he seems to be a bit full of himself. I personally respect him for how highly he values quality and integrity in his work.

I like that you added that last bit, especially as I assume you're being sarcastic and it made me laugh.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I hope it's someone people flip out over. I love watching this community squirm when they don't like something. The Giant Bomb Defense Force that can't stand any criticism people make about the staff or the site get into overdrive when it happens and the comments are so funny to watch.

While I can understand how that could be funny from a distance, would that really be in the best interest of the site in the long run?

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'll gladly be Giant Bomb's Perfect Dark Editor.

Still waiting for the call.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By EXTomar

@fattony12000 said:

Treat this like your interview: What can you tell us about this thing...what is it called..."Perfectly Dark"?

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#157  Edited By mosespippy

@alexw00d: No sarcasm here. I respect the guy's writing more than anyone else in the press. He spends so much effort focusing on the little details. I may not always agree with his opinion but it's always a really well written piece.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#158  Edited By AlexW00d

@alexw00d: No sarcasm here. I respect the guy's writing more than anyone else in the press. He spends so much effort focusing on the little details. I may not always agree with his opinion but it's always a really well written piece.

Arthur Gies and integrity certainly aren't something I'd put together, but hey if you like him then good. He needs some fans.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By fattony12000

@extomar said:

@fattony12000 said:

Treat this like your interview: What can you tell us about this thing...what is it called..."Perfectly Dark"?

I have no idea what Perfectum Drake is, some kind of anime maybe? Don't sweat it, I'll pick up what I need to know as I go along. Thanks for your time, Jeff.
I have no idea what Perfectum Drake is, some kind of anime maybe? Don't sweat it, I'll pick up what I need to know as I go along. Thanks for your time, Jeff.

StrawHat_NPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#160  Edited By StrawHat_NPC
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#161  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Jared signs up as community manager, Rorie slides back into an editorial role.

And fuck it, let's get Rich Gallup back in here too, just for shits and gigs.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope it's someone people flip out over. I love watching this community squirm when they don't like something. The Giant Bomb Defense Force that can't stand any criticism people make about the staff or the site get into overdrive when it happens and the comments are so funny to watch.

If I join the Giant Bomb Defense Force can I have a badge and a gun?

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think in the end, we just need to trust Jeff. And honestly, I do think he knows who would be good where. He's a very smart man.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@sweep said:

Jared signs up as community manager, Rorie slides back into an editorial role.

This scenario had crossed my mind as well.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I want Danny ... thats about it. He fits the crew perfectly.

rlhyeung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#166  Edited By rlhyeung

I can't help but think back to the days of yore, the golden age of Gamespot, with these guys and Greg K, Carrie, Bob, Rich etc.

It goes without saying that the Giant Bomb crew is fantastic that doesn't need drastic change. That being said, it's great to have more people with more diverse opinions. People who play a variety of games that the staff doesn't already play. Or cover stories that they don't already cover. Or try to fill the hole that Ryan left. So I guess I'm saying diversity. A female would be nice...

casper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By casper_

It would be so rad if Carrie gouskos joined up.

SomberOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iron1c said:

Probably no one?

But if they need to get one, get the Irishman.

I agree but the work he does a GameSpot is so good I also don't want him to leave GS.

SomberOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Palmlykta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is great, just please, no more journalists.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#171  Edited By Sooperspy

Adam Sessler leaves Rev3 and joins Giantbomb

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Adam Sessler leaves Rev3 and joins Giantbomb

I like Adam but I don't know how much I would like that..

Bob_Loblaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Carrie Gouskos would just really be great though, wouldn't she?

Like, just give her a big bag of cash to move back to California already.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be serious for a moment, what it feels like the future is for places like Giantbomb is produced content like videos and such. Whoever they bring in needs to "gel" with the rest of the crew in video and podcasts instead of being a stellar reviewer.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#175  Edited By bacongames

This has been interesting so far to read through and I'm actually surprised how many different little differences there are between posts. In general I think the old legacy gets have expressed their contentment with their situation and simultaneously recognize a sort of fan demand for their return: Rich Gallup, Carrie Gouskos, Jeff Green etc. Basically they're a no go. I think the best personality get immediately is Danny but it would be both disruptive to his current aspirations and if he's the only hire, another white dude on the site. It's awesome the uncanny way they keep bringing in the coolest white guys, as evidenced by their clout around the industry, but I think a new hire that brings in both a refreshing demographic change while also being a great personality/contributor is the ideal. Kinda same goes for Jared although I'm sure he's not about to announce a position at GB. Cool if he is but I doubt it.

I think, as others have said, the best situation is for a relatively young person who either knows about the site or loves it too but isn't here all the time on the forums and is ready and willing to bring in that freshness. Actually, would it be too much to posit for an awesome female producer? Think about it, what if she pulled some amazing hilarious shit with that tricaster? Instant hit. The weird thing though is that the position most in need of replacing is one that allows Jeff and Brad to do more editorial but that would probably lean more in the hosting/personality/bigger get end than a younger person who's gonna take the reins on the Bombcast and live shows. Patrick was a success but even he didn't do that and instead opted to do his own thing (which has been great).

Oh and if we are just going to suggest community members, I put in my lot with @fobwashed. I have no idea what he's like in front of a camera but I'm most interested to know out of anyone on this site.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sessh said:

@iron1c said:

Danny would just be amazing. It's not gonna happen though.

Never say never. :p Seconded vote for Danny. I would also be on board with another addition to the team to take on some of Matt Rorie's site community responsibilities so Rorie has some allotted time to do more written features. Kind of a waste to have one of the best writers on staff (he is!) not actually doing much in the way of writing.

And they definitely need another tech and video person to take the load off of Drew and Vinny.

So yep, bolster the back end first to free up the existing and very popular personalities to do more content. More Vinny, more Drew, more Rorie.

huser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brendan said:

@oldirtybearon: Since Ryan passed there's a lot of dead air on long streams with only Jeff and Vinny left as the "funny guys". I'm not saying Drew's not funny but he doesn't take comedic initiative, and often Vinny's not even on the camera at the same time as Jeff. They need another personality badly.

I think Drew's asides, especially when he's being mock indignant "[Chie]'s wearing bicycle shorts!" are hilarious. That said, I think some more blood (new or old) would work OK. I liked the Jeff/Brad switcheroo with Vinny hosting.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By HerbieBug

Female perspective

Yes, i would like this as well. Not sure who a good candidate would be though.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 16

@bacongames: Well that's kind of you to say =P

Since I'm currently in the process of trying to cobble together my own game. Maybe I'll be on here in some other fashion sometime in the future. I've been on one of Brad's daily dotas... though, maybe don't look it up because I think I played badly. Talking while playing a game is ridiculously difficult.

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bring back Dave and get Jeff Green.

fossas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Jay Leno

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By Superkenon
Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember Jeff talking about wanting to grow Giant Bomb over a jar of water on the internets. The big question though, is whether the new hires will be in the San Francisco office, or spread throughout the world. If they bring in 3 people into the San Fran office, then unprofessional Fridays would take up the entire work day.

wattsiey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By wattsiey

Charlie Tuna and Chie. Might be weird with the workplace romance though.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wattsiey:

The inevitable love triangle with Jeff would wreck havoc in the office...

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I may be completely wrong here and probably am. But between Jared Rea leaving his job at Twitch, Rorie saying they hope to hire some new people soon and Jared talking about UPF on Twitter, I have a feeling I see where this is going.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want Danny ... thats about it. He fits the crew perfectly.

I KNOW, it just will never happen now, he already has his job...He would be so perfect.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By Vuud

I still think Jeff Green is the best choice, if he'd accept. I've been a fan of JG since I read Computer Gaming World. (it was a free year subscription)

Is Giant Bomb big enough for two Jeffs?

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By superfriend

Also would like to see more than one female perspective. We don't need the token girl of the crew. Want it to just be natural. Maybe a future wife for Jeff as well.

This has to be one of the creepiest posts on the site.

Back on topic: I don´t think they´ll get Jeff Green. Jared seems to be an option though.

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Karen Snider has my vote. So does Sean Coonce, but neither will ever happen.

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Karen Snider has my vote. So does Sean Coonce, but neither will ever happen.

Your vote for what? Making an occasional appearance on Unprofessional Fridays? Sure.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@sessh said:

@iron1c said:

Danny would just be amazing. It's not gonna happen though.

Never say never. :p Seconded vote for Danny.

I concur, Danny Dyer would make for a fantastic addition to the crew.

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@milkman said:

I may be completely wrong here and probably am. But between Jared Rea leaving his job at Twitch, Rorie saying they hope to hire some new people soon and Jared talking about UPF on Twitter, I have a feeling I see where this is going.

Oh man, I'm gonna be so disappointed if this doesn't happen.

robsamuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jared Rea seems like the most likely known candidate. I know Jeff talked about maybe getting a (non screen presence) business type guy to do budget meetings and such.

Also there's a need for a new person to run the Tricaster and let Drew and Vinny get more screen time.

gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd love Danny O'Dwer, but we all know that's not happening. I trust the duders though to get the right guy or gal for the job, although Carrie would be especially smashing.

Also, in never-going-to-happen-ville, I say go persuade Matt Lees (now ex-VideoGamer.com) to come to the states. He like making dumb videos, so he'd fit in right away.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By fattony12000
Loading Video...

I'll gladly take on the position of Creeper Editor. In fact, I've already had experience in that role with one Karen Snider.

McDayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I miss Dave. He should come back and just play old and/or obscure PC games all day, every day. I would watch.

hidden81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jenn Frank.

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Me.

No need to call me, I'm already on my way to California.