#1 Posted by jimmyfenix (3678 posts) -

"The Italian Stallion will return! Sylvester Stallone will reportedly reprise his iconic role as Rocky Balboa in an MGM spinoff set to focus on the grandson of Apollo Creed, Rocky's opponent-turned-best friend."

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/07/24/stallone-back-as-rocky-for-spinoff-following-apollo-creeds-grandson

I dont know how to feel.

On one hand it is better then having another main Rocky film. Stallone has recently only made movies with him self being the "grizzly" veteran such as rambo 4 and the expendable movies but it will be interesting to see him as a some what side character to help Apollo Creed`s grandson

On the other hand it may just end up as Rocky V with Apollo Creed`s Grandson getting cocky and ditching rocky and thus having the inevitable Rocky Vs Creed again.

What are your thoughts on this new movie ?

#2 Posted by Tylea002 (2291 posts) -

Rocky Balboa is the only time I've seen a franchise "return to it's roots." Everything save for 1 and 6 is practically from another planet, so I have no idea how they're going to pull that off. I have doubts.

#3 Posted by JasonR86 (9366 posts) -

Yikes. No thanks.

#4 Edited by jimmyfenix (3678 posts) -

@tylea002: This plot just reminds me of Rocky V and i don't want to be reminded about Rocky V.

#5 Posted by ZombiePie (5366 posts) -

@tylea002: This plot just reminds me of Rocky V and i don't want to be reminded about Rocky V.

What Did You Say?

#6 Edited by McGhee (6091 posts) -

I'm more interested in

Stallone and Schwarzenegger back in action in the same movie. Fuck Yeah.

#7 Posted by Petiew (1278 posts) -

Rocky Balboa was much better than it really had any right to be. I'm not holding out much hope for this, but you never know.

Maybe Ivan Drago the Third will be the opponent.

#8 Posted by jimmyfenix (3678 posts) -

@jimmyfenix said:

What Did You Say?

DAMN IT!!

#9 Posted by jimmyfenix (3678 posts) -

@mcghee: woah didnt know 50 cent was in it!

#10 Posted by Bane122 (763 posts) -

Rocky Balboa was such a great end for the character that I really don't like this and will most likely ignore it.

#11 Posted by LTSmash (556 posts) -

Can they find a way to resurrect Apollo Creed instead? I miss Carl Weathers.

#12 Posted by believer258 (11035 posts) -

@mcghee said:

I'm more interested in

It looks cool, but it's getting to the point where I'm scared that the main characters will break a hip halfway through the movie or something.

There's got to be a few bodybuilders/martial artists somewhere in the world who would jump at the chance to act in a new movie.

#13 Posted by TyCobb (1924 posts) -

I am OK with this. Always loved the Rocky series and I have no problem just forgetting Rocky V. Rocky Balboa was an OK film so I am curious how this one turns out.

#14 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (2590 posts) -

I gotta ask, if this new Apollo spin-off becomes successful and they name these new moves "Apollo". What's gonna happen when they reach Apollo 13 and Apollo 18?

#15 Edited by PulledaBrad (605 posts) -

I gotta ask, if this new Apollo spin-off becomes successful and they name these new moves "Apollo". What's gonna happen when they reach Apollo 13 and Apollo 18?

Technically this is Apollo 1 so Imma guess they all get the door to the gym stuck and they all die in a fire.

#16 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (2590 posts) -

@i_stay_puft said:

Technically this is Apollo 1 so Imma guess they all get the door to the gym stuck and they all die in a fire.

My mistake sounds like they'll be naming this movie Creed, instant nail in the coffin.

#17 Posted by CaLe (3678 posts) -

I'd watch that.

#18 Posted by TheVeteran13 (1197 posts) -

Shoulda made him a robot.

#19 Posted by ArmedBear (218 posts) -

Hey sure, bring back Mr T as Clubber Lange while you're at it.

#20 Edited by Slag (3334 posts) -

I dunno could be interesting if they do it right.

Big "if" though, very big "if"

#21 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

DO NOT WANT.

#22 Posted by PenguinDust (12414 posts) -

So this would be Rocky 7...Adrian's revenge!

#23 Posted by shinjin977 (701 posts) -

@mcghee said:

I'm more interested in

That is a god damn thing of beauty that is. My gf and I are big fan of 90s action hero movies. Thanks for the info.

#24 Posted by Nitrocore (355 posts) -

As painful as it is for me to say this, Stallone and Arnie should check themselves into a museum.

#25 Posted by jimmyfenix (3678 posts) -

@nitrocore: I paid REAL money to see expendables 2 and i agree with your opinion.

#26 Posted by myketuna (1631 posts) -

I think it's great we're seeing these guys together before they inevitably "go out", but I do wish it had been much sooner. Imagine Escape Plan in the late 80s, early 90s.

As for the new Apollo Creed movie. I think it's an ok idea. If it hits off, then they can "kill off" Rocky like they did Mickey in Rocky III and the new Creed can carry on the title. And if it doesn't, we have another Rocky V on our hands and we can all forget about it and remember Rocky Balboa fondly.

#27 Posted by McGhee (6091 posts) -

@believer258: If I look as good as Stallone does when I'm that age, I'll be a very happy man. Fuck, I'd be a very happy man to look that good now.

#28 Posted by Unequivocable (197 posts) -

This morning on a call at work someone used the term "timebox". It instantly made me think of how there needs to be a "TimeBoxer" film made where Sylvester Stallone travels throughout history boxing famous historical figures.

#29 Posted by McGhee (6091 posts) -

I also don't understand this disdain for guys like Stallone still doing action movies. Bunch of fucking agists. If you can still do it, then you can still do it. Stallone is a beast. The scariest person I've ever met is someone I've had the privilege to train aikido with. He's a 6th Dan and almost sixty. He could tear both your arms off and beat you to death with them without breaking a sweat.

#30 Posted by OurSin_360 (755 posts) -

The last rocky was great until the fight scene that just wasn't plausible at all. I hope this does well, would be great to bring interest back into the sport again.

#31 Posted by Tajasaurus (656 posts) -

@mcghee: That looks incredible.

I'm all for a good Rocky V. I loved Rock VI more than I ever expected to. I just hope that they cover up his tattoos with make up or whatever

#32 Posted by MightyDuck (1434 posts) -

I can honestly say the only Rocky I've ever seen is Rocky IV. I loved it, but just never felt compelled to check out the rest I suppose.

#33 Posted by Animasta (14460 posts) -

I've never seen a single rocky movie

#34 Edited by fetchfox (1158 posts) -

Yeah, Wallace from the Wire! He's supposedly playing the youngster Rocky will be training. Sure, this might work.

#35 Posted by Nezza (312 posts) -

@i_stay_puft said:

Thanks for guaranteeing my place in hell after I laughed at that!

#36 Posted by CommanderIsaac (4 posts) -

Didn't Stallone said that RB was the last Rocky film he was going to make? That was the entire point of naming the film "Rocky Balboa"

#37 Posted by Petiew (1278 posts) -

@mcghee said:

I'm more interested in

Holy shit, this looks dumb as hell. I can't wait to see it!

#38 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6270 posts) -

@pulledabrad said:

@i_stay_puft said:

My mistake sounds like they'll be naming this movie Creed, instant nail in the coffin.

APOLLO JR.

What can you do for me, huh?! WHAT CAN YOU DO FOR ME, OLD MAN?!

ROCK

(Pauses for a moment) Apollo....I can take you higher......

The montage writes itself from there.