• 61 results
#1 Posted by Dooops (227 posts) -

Ok, so I am on strike right now :( Grrrrr. Anyhow, this means tons of walking around in a circle bored out of my skull. So to pass some time I have been downloading some stand-up comics. Does anyone have some suggestions?

Thanks in advance :)

#2 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

ever get the shopping cart with the one bad wheel

#3 Posted by TurboMan (7545 posts) -

Airplane Food.

#4 Posted by Dooops (227 posts) -

Fantastic help guys. I will have to remember these great lines while on the line tomorrow.......

#5 Posted by Gramiero (142 posts) -

Maria Bamford is pretty funny.

#6 Edited by Dunchad (494 posts) -

Depends a lot on what kind of humour works for you. I'm the sort that thinks nothing is holy and everything can be made fun out of. So I really enjoy Jimmy Carr for example - a lot of people wouldn't. Mike Birbiglia is great - much cleaner stand-up, compared to some others. If you want some musical stand-up, you should take a look at Stephen Lynch - he's great as well.

Other than that... I've seen some good Chris Rock shows. Can't think of anyone else right now.

EDIT: Oh, while I don't like Tosh.0 - I have enjoyed some of the stand-up Daniel Tosh has done, so maybe worth a check.

#7 Posted by Example1013 (4834 posts) -

Looking for funny stand-up suggestions? Good luck. 90% of stand-up comics are terrible and have no reason to be famous. I'd say for women it's even worse than 90%, but since only 3 women are famous stand-up comics, it's not fair to say 100% suck as the sample likely isn't representative.

#8 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

Jimmy Carr like Dunchad said, he's amazing.

#9 Posted by Pazy (2581 posts) -

Richard Herring, he has a podcast called "As it occurs to me" which is pretty good. There is three seasons (and some extra's) on iTunes that should fill in a few hours. Jimmy Carr is always amazing and id suggest Frankie Boyle if you dont get offended much.

#10 Posted by arab_prince (2053 posts) -

Cake or death?

#11 Edited by falling_fast (2224 posts) -
#12 Posted by SamFo (1529 posts) -

Ricky Gervais standup stuff is great.
Dave Chapelle's too.
Mitch Hedberg is pretty good for Rodney Dangerfield style one liners.
Carrot top sucks a big dick...

#13 Edited by falling_fast (2224 posts) -
#14 Posted by DonChipotle (2760 posts) -

Louis C.K.

#15 Posted by DickDarlington (108 posts) -

Greg Giraldo (RIP)

Dave Attell - Skanks for the Memories

#16 Posted by Klaptos (182 posts) -

Louis C.K., Mike Birbiglia, Jim Gaffigan and lots more. It really depends on what you like.

#17 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1727 posts) -

Not stand up, never even seen the show, but.."fuck you"   

#18 Posted by Kraznor (1578 posts) -

Favorites of mine are Louis C.K., Patton Oswalt and Paul F. Tompkins.

#19 Posted by ThePickle (4182 posts) -

Mitch Hedberg, Patton Oswalt, Louis CK, George Carlin, Bill Hicks, Andy Kaufman, Jim Gaffigan, Patrice O'Neal... just to name a few.

#20 Posted by SkylarTrace (118 posts) -

Chris Rock and Dave Chapelle.

#21 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3052 posts) -

Zach Galifianakis.
#22 Posted by SUPER_STANO (45 posts) -

@SamFo said:

I can only imagine trying to listen to his stuff on an ipod. Is jokes would fail even harder without seeing them. "i call my next invention a baby on board....(silence)"

For some reason all comedians i like have a name starting with D

David cross

dave chappelle

dave attell

daniel tosh

#23 Edited by Franstone (1121 posts) -

Bill Burr is Hilarious.

#24 Posted by Surkov (992 posts) -

Steven Wright and Eugene Mirman

#25 Posted by Omega (835 posts) -

Yeah man, I dunno if I can really help you with that.

...hmm Oh! You ever watch Dane Cook? he's pretty good. He says what all the adolescent retards are thinking. I mean he must be good right? He sells out stadiums and shit.

Oh wait! I know, how about Larry the cable guy? He's so funny the way he says git'er done!!!! and panders to the blue collar crowd.

But if you like Larry you gotta check out Jeff Dunham he's the king of modern comedy. That is if you enjoy watching a wooden dummy up on stage with his hand up a puppets ass. I keel you! haha, oh casual racism.

I dunno who everyone else is recommending. Louie C.K. really? That redhead that says the N word all the time? How is that funny? I saw his show once, it doesn't even have a laugh track or studio audience how am I supposed to know when to laugh? Ricky Gervais? I dunno what he's saying. This is America, we speak English not some crazy European English with all the "u's" in the words that don't need'em. George Carlin... dude I don't even know who he is. He's old enough to be my grandpa and my grandpa isn't funny so clearly this guy isn't funny.

No you gotta go with Dane Cook, he's definitely the best.

#26 Posted by TerraDelu (501 posts) -

Download the Comedy Bang Bang and Doug Loves Movies podcasts. There are so many amazing comedians on those shows, including one of my favs, Paul F. Tompkins (who also has a podcast).

#27 Posted by Dooops (227 posts) -

Thank you very much for the suggestions guys. I am the type of guy that will laugh at any humor, crude or not :)

I've listened to Louis Ck, Daniel Tosh etc

#28 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
#29 Posted by Surkov (992 posts) -

@SUPER_STANO said:

@SamFo said:

I can only imagine trying to listen to his stuff on an ipod. Is jokes would fail even harder without seeing them. "i call my next invention a baby on board....(silence)"

For some reason all comedians i like have a name starting with D

David cross

dave chappelle

dave attell

daniel tosh

Dave Attell, there's a name I haven't read in a while. I'm going to go find some Insomniac episodes now.

#30 Posted by solidejake (484 posts) -

Jim Gaffigan has made me laugh so hard the first hundred-thousand times I listened to his CDs 'King Baby' and 'Beyond the Pail'. Seriously, do yourself a favor, and get those.

#31 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6299 posts) -

Robert Kelly, Jim Norton, Louis C.K., Rich Vos, Joe Rogan, Kevin Smith (podcasts and Q&A's)

#32 Posted by gorkamorkaorka (442 posts) -

Carlin sucks.

#33 Posted by Sarkhan (1196 posts) -

I'd say Eddie Murphy with Raw and Delirious.  And some Richard Pryor as well. 
#34 Posted by Djstyles92 (952 posts) -

Louis C.K. !!!

#35 Posted by Another_Castle (5 posts) -

Hannibal Buress isn't super well known but he's pretty funny. He has a CD called 'My Name is Hannibal' which is great.

#36 Posted by thebunnyhunter (1423 posts) -

Louis C.K.

Aziz Ansari

Greg Giraldo

Brian Reagan

Mike Birbiglia

Keith Malley - He has many stand up cds and also a long running daily comedy podcast, in which he has comedians as guest and talk about every day life, gossip, news and stuff

#37 Posted by HarlequinRiot (1098 posts) -

I consider Louis CK and Patton Oswalt to be the best out right now, and a lot of people have mentioned them. Also want to second Mike Birbiglia, Paul F. Tompkins, Daniel Tosh, Doug Benson.

One that I don't think have been mentioned + older comedians:

Marc Maron

Maria Bamford

Tig Nataro

Michael Ian Black

Steve Wright

Richard Pryor

Bob Newhart

#38 Posted by Another_Castle (5 posts) -

@thebunnyhunter said:

Keith Malley - He has many stand up cds and also a long running daily comedy podcast, in which he has comedians as guest and talk about every day life, gossip, news and stuff

No brumski

#39 Posted by GhettoBond (66 posts) -

I'm also going to go with Eddie Izzard's "Dress to Kill." Cake or death?!

#40 Posted by thisguyrich (88 posts) -

Bill hicks, george carlin, mitch hedberg, jerry seinfeld, eddie murphy (check out Delirious)

#41 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

Luis C.K.

Dave Chappelle

Daniel Tosh

Brian Regan

Kevin Hart

#42 Posted by ComradeKhan (687 posts) -

Bill Hicks

#43 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

Patton Oswalt.

#44 Posted by agemyth (92 posts) -

If you are into left wing/atheist/sociopolitical humor, check out Jamie Kilstein. He's pretty indie as far as comedians go, but his material is pretty much laser focused on appealing to me. Here is a very brief skit of his that will give you a good idea of the kind of things that comes out of this guy's mouth.

#45 Posted by Burzmali (452 posts) -

Doug Stanhope. Fucking hilarious. This is easily the funniest thing I've ever heard:

Also, as has already been mentioned, Patton Oswalt. If you like nerd comedy, he's perfect.

Finally, David Cross is generally pretty good.

#46 Edited by notdrew (86 posts) -

Considering that you like Giant Bomb, I would strongly suggest these comics:

Doug Benson

Paul F Tompkins

Jimmy Pardo

Some of the Whiskey Media team are very much into these comics and have the same sense of humor. So if you find yourself laughing with the Bombcast, go with these comics. (I even met Dave Snider and Ryan Davis outside of a Doug Benson show) If you end up liking the three I mentioned, check out these guys:

Kumail Nanjiani:

Chris Hardwick:

Anthony Jeselnik:

Moshe Kasher:

Kyle Kinane

Nick Kroll:

#47 Posted by StickyW3b (121 posts) -

Louis C.K.

Jim Gaffigan

#48 Posted by kcp12 (58 posts) -

#49 Posted by Vodun (2370 posts) -

@gorkamorkaorka said:

Carlin sucks.

Your momma sucks, she swallows too!

#50 Posted by Fishstick (156 posts) -

Paul F. Tompkins, Mitch Hedberg and Patton Oswalt.