Star Wars CCG - Help out an old player

AleeN634

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 23

Edited By AleeN634

Way back in the year 1995 Decipher inc released a Star Wars Collectable Card Game called Star Wars CCG. Years passed and it was a pretty big game. Not Pokemon or Magic the Gathering big but it was a relatively well thought out game and was a lot of fun to play. I used to play a lot with my friend back in the day. So what happened? Well In 1999 the first of the Prequel Trilogy movies came out and everyone wondered how the game would implement prequel era material into the then only classic trilogy mechanics. Turns out the game design had difficulty adapting mechanics to properly account for the Prequel characters and events. By 2001 Lucasfilm chose to give the rights to create a card game to Wizards of the Coast (of Magic fame) which created a brand new card game (instead of continuing the exisitng one). Decipher went on to make a Lord of the Rings card game which became a hit while the Star Wars Trading Card Game faded into obscurity.

On their behalf, Decipher helped create a Player's Comittee to keep the game alive and they've done a relatively good job releasing content even up to this year.

So why do I bring all this up? Well my friend and I are intending to dust off our old boxes of Star Wars CCG cards and play the game throughout this summer. I'm a Light Side player while my friend plays Dark Side. Our rules are simple: using all rulings up to the 2002 final Appendixes released by Decipher we will replay the game slowly adding expansions every session. We're starting with Premiere and A New Hope (we're allowing Premium cards that don't violate the spirit of this agreement) along with cards from the Premiere Two Player box but no Virtual Cards.

Now the thing is that I was never a professional player (luckily neither was my friend) so I don't own all the cards, or even multiples of a lot of the rare cards. Also I was never an indepth strategy master at the game. So I'm hoping someone who reads this can help recommend me a few strategies to make sure that my friend doesn't totally destroy me (freakin Vader + Tarkin combo).

Well I'm hoping for the best. Wish me luck!

P.S. I would totally buy a Live/PSN version of the game (get on it LucasArts)!

AleeN634

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By AleeN634

Way back in the year 1995 Decipher inc released a Star Wars Collectable Card Game called Star Wars CCG. Years passed and it was a pretty big game. Not Pokemon or Magic the Gathering big but it was a relatively well thought out game and was a lot of fun to play. I used to play a lot with my friend back in the day. So what happened? Well In 1999 the first of the Prequel Trilogy movies came out and everyone wondered how the game would implement prequel era material into the then only classic trilogy mechanics. Turns out the game design had difficulty adapting mechanics to properly account for the Prequel characters and events. By 2001 Lucasfilm chose to give the rights to create a card game to Wizards of the Coast (of Magic fame) which created a brand new card game (instead of continuing the exisitng one). Decipher went on to make a Lord of the Rings card game which became a hit while the Star Wars Trading Card Game faded into obscurity.

On their behalf, Decipher helped create a Player's Comittee to keep the game alive and they've done a relatively good job releasing content even up to this year.

So why do I bring all this up? Well my friend and I are intending to dust off our old boxes of Star Wars CCG cards and play the game throughout this summer. I'm a Light Side player while my friend plays Dark Side. Our rules are simple: using all rulings up to the 2002 final Appendixes released by Decipher we will replay the game slowly adding expansions every session. We're starting with Premiere and A New Hope (we're allowing Premium cards that don't violate the spirit of this agreement) along with cards from the Premiere Two Player box but no Virtual Cards.

Now the thing is that I was never a professional player (luckily neither was my friend) so I don't own all the cards, or even multiples of a lot of the rare cards. Also I was never an indepth strategy master at the game. So I'm hoping someone who reads this can help recommend me a few strategies to make sure that my friend doesn't totally destroy me (freakin Vader + Tarkin combo).

Well I'm hoping for the best. Wish me luck!

P.S. I would totally buy a Live/PSN version of the game (get on it LucasArts)!

LeoMinor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By LeoMinor

I collected the Star Wars CCG back in the 5th grade with a friend of mine.  Thing is, we never even understood the rules or played, we just collected the cards.  Tell you what though, if I can find them, they are all yours.  I know I have some sweet ones too from A New Hope through Death Star II set.  I'll let you know.

AleeN634

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By AleeN634

If you find it, cool. If not ,it's still cool.

LeoMinor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By LeoMinor
@AleeN634:  Well, I found a good chunk of the cards I had.  Hard to believe I still have them after all these years.  Even have the booster pack display boxes for Cloud City, Jabba's Palace and Reflections :)  I'll get them organized and send some pics later.