• 70 results
Posted by OperationPrometheus (78 posts) 7 months, 24 days ago

Poll: Star Wars Episode VII Labeled Most Anticipated Sequel of All-Time: True or Not True? (232 votes)

True 25%
False 75%

So I have been reading up a lot on rumors involving the movie, casting decisions, plot details, etc. and ran across several news outlets through searching calling this the "most anticipated sequel of all-time." Would you say this is true? It has been 8 years since the last film and will reach the decade mark by the time it releases. With a following as big as Star Wars do you think this could possibly be the highest-grossing movie ever?

I'm looking forward to it and know I have a calendar counting down the days. I actually attended a casting call/meet and greet and sent in my audition tape to the studio so now as an aspiring actor I can at least say at some point in my life I got to audition for Star Wars. Pretty surreal.

#1 Posted by Shaunage (687 posts) -

Well it's certainly less anticipated than Episode 1 was. Episode 1 saw to that.

#2 Edited by CaLe (3910 posts) -

You seem like you're in pretty deep so I don't think you've got a reliable perspective here. A lot of people still don't even know there's going to be an Episode 7, never mind highly anticipating it.

#3 Posted by OperationPrometheus (78 posts) -

@cale said:

You seem like you're in pretty deep so I don't think you've got the perspective here. A lot of people still don't even know there's going to be an Episode 7 in my neck of the woods.

Where are you from haha? I mean I'm from a pretty densely populated area so I guess people around here have a lot more access to news or at least keep up with it more often. I've sat thru some of my classes and overheard people talking about it or looking up stuff on it. So I must just come from a different perspective here.

#4 Posted by OperationPrometheus (78 posts) -

@cale said:

You seem like you're in pretty deep so I don't think you've got a reliable perspective here. A lot of people still don't even know there's going to be an Episode 7, never mind highly anticipating it.

And it's not my perspective. I said I've seen a bunch of news websites referring to it as that. Not me. So maybe you should have read more carefully. I was simply asking if you agree with them or not.

#5 Edited by CaLe (3910 posts) -

@operationprometheus: You read up on 'rumors involving the movie, casting decisions, plot details, etc' and auditioned for the film. I think it's clear you have a different perspective than most people do, that's all I meant.

#6 Posted by OperationPrometheus (78 posts) -

@cale: My perspective is different but I wasn't trying to say I labeled it as the most anticipated film. I was simply asking others if they agreed with some of the news outlets that said it was. Of course my perspective is different then others.

#7 Posted by believer258 (11629 posts) -

It's just kind of a thing that's going to exist to me. Maybe I'll be more excited for it when it comes out, but I can't shake the feeling that it's just going to be a competent-but-heartless cash-in.

#8 Edited by CaLe (3910 posts) -
#9 Edited by OperationPrometheus (78 posts) -

@cale: Well that is just an assumption. And you reacted to it kind of harshly. I could care less if it's the most anticipated movie of all-time or if it makes $10 million globally, I'm seeing it either way. I just wanted to know the consensus of fans out there and what others thought about the film and its new direction.

#10 Posted by CaLe (3910 posts) -
#11 Edited by MonetaryDread (1991 posts) -

I have yet to meet someone who even knows that it exists without me telling them first. Then again, I do not know anybody who visits movie / culture websites. I also do not live in America, and our newscasts do not cover the American entertainment industry unless they are making fun of you guys.

#12 Edited by crithon (3075 posts) -

That a buzz word hyperbole comes across as the random ads that say "Doctors hate him" or "Work out instructors hat him" or "top ten super heroes movies." Like a games radar click bait series of images that are each one one page.

It's safe to say no, Star Wars isn't that anticipated, by the time the prequels were released in 1999 fanboys worked hard to get the series to be legitimate that the original films made it onto critics top 10 films of all time. Right beside Citizen Kane. At this point some bizarre production problems and the majority of people still don't know it's a sequel after Jedi because the prequels and animated series confused general audience perception of order in these films.

If this was properly polled question, I'd imagine maybe it'd still be ranked below other films Avenger's 2, james bond part 24, batman vs superman, Fast and the Furious part 7 or even a promise of a new Pixar film. You know I bet maybe when after the second or third trailer is shown then YES! It will be considered the most anticipated movie, right now it's just little news blips of it's production.

#13 Edited by DarthOrange (3851 posts) -

Not for me personally, at least not yet (and I have a Star Wars reference in my user name!). I haven't seen enough (anything at all) to get me excited. There are so many questions and it could honestly end up going any number of directions.

You want to talk about hype, lets talk about Fast and Furious 7. We are finally getting a sequel to Tokyo Drift after 8 years. And with the way that those movies have continued to get progressively better, I don't see how any movie can be more anticipated than that.

Avengers 3 is also shaping up to be the dopest movie of all time. They are doing the motherfucking Infinity Gauntlet and the amount of superheroes that the universe will have in place by that time will make the movie absolutely bananas.

#14 Posted by OperationPrometheus (78 posts) -

@crithon: I'd honestly be surprised if a normal Pixar film and Fast 7 are more anticipated then Star Wars haha. Don't get me wrong I'll be in line for the midnight showing of Fast 7 (it's one of my guilty pleasures when it comes to movie series) and I love Pixar films. Those just come around too often in my opinion to get the anticipation factor. I mean I just saw Fast 6 this year and Fast 7 is already slated for next summer, only a year later.

#15 Edited by DarthOrange (3851 posts) -

@cale said:

You seem like you're in pretty deep so I don't think you've got the perspective here. A lot of people still don't even know there's going to be an Episode 7 in my neck of the woods.

Where are you from haha? I mean I'm from a pretty densely populated area so I guess people around here have a lot more access to news or at least keep up with it more often. I've sat thru some of my classes and overheard people talking about it or looking up stuff on it. So I must just come from a different perspective here.

Really? Where you at? Are these in "regular" classes or in acting classes?

#16 Posted by OperationPrometheus (78 posts) -

@darthorange: I'm not saying it's often, and they are in engineering/acting classes. I've heard it referenced a few times from other students which doesn't seem like a lot but its pretty early for even that. Obviously these few people can be outliers in the greater scheme of things but it was worth mentioning I thought.

#17 Edited by Christoffer (1757 posts) -

I remember that the anticipation for Episode 1 was electric. People I know, who didn't even care that much about Star Wars, were asking around for bootleg VHS copies before the release (which was a bigger deal in 1999). I'm not in the right age to judge if Episode 7 is as big, but I find it hard to believe.

#18 Posted by Funkydupe (3311 posts) -

I'm interested in it mainly because I want to know how these movies will be made now that Disney is in charge. Apparently they have five movies planned.

#19 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5330 posts) -

It certainly isn't hotly anticipated right now, I guess if they had a really amazing series of trailers over the next year and a half then it could be, but I doubt it.

#20 Edited by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -

I didn't even know that there was going to be an Episode 7. I should probably go watch Episode 3 at some point...

#21 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5330 posts) -

@davidwitten22: Episode 3 is alright, basically a decent summer action movie. "I have the high ground" is a pretty amusing meme, everybody loves the Emperor in it.

#22 Posted by selbie (1841 posts) -

I say true in the sense that Disney will market the living shit out of it. It will be a total repeat of what Lucas did with merchandising.

#23 Posted by ajamafalous (11845 posts) -

I don't think "anecdotally overheard being mentioned in passing in smalltalk conversations" qualifies as "the most anticipated sequel of all time."

Honestly, the way you worded your OP and the way you're responding to posts in the thread makes it seem like you're grasping really hard for something you want to believe to be true. It's totally fine if it's your most anticipated sequel, but, with the poll currently sitting at 80% No, I think the results speak for themselves.

#24 Edited by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

False, if only because the hype for Episode 1 was ridiculous and after the disappointment of that movie, anything with the "Star Wars" name attached will always be approached with some caution. I'm sure Disney is going to handle the series far better, but after years of the SW brand circling the toilet, I have a hard time caring.

#25 Edited by Ezekiel (370 posts) -

@believer258 said:

but I can't shake the feeling that it's just going to be a competent-but-heartless cash-in.

Same. I expect lots of action with thin characterization and few moments of tranquility, like the new Star Trek.

#27 Posted by audioBusting (1477 posts) -

I think more people are more excited for Finding Nemo 2, at least. Haven't met anyone who knows about this movie either.

#28 Edited by RonGalaxy (2868 posts) -

Most anticipated sequel of all time is a toss up between the new testament and Half Life 3

#29 Posted by TopCat88 (174 posts) -

I've never consumed a single piece of Star Wars media in my life. Haven't seen any of the movies, played any of the games or watched any TV stuff. That goes for Star Trek too while I'm here. Space action has never appealed to me and I never played Mass Effect. Maybe I'm strange. I did like Red Dwarf though!

#30 Posted by HH (599 posts) -

as a star wars kid through and through i am STOKED for the new Battlefront game.

full stop.

i'm not even that bothered about the original trilogy of movies anymore, my tastes have changed to prioritize how smooth a film flows over how cool a laser beam sounds, and Lucas, Kershner, and Marquand are not the smoothest of directors. It's not that i don't think Abrams is capable, i just doubt that the script can pull off the coup that the star trek reboot did. happy to be proven wrong though.

#31 Edited by geirr (2476 posts) -

Episode 1 - 3 kinda broke me when it comes to Star Wars so I personally have no expectations or care for this title. However that does leave room for it to pleasantly surprise me, so maybe that's a good thing.

#33 Posted by Video_Game_King (35985 posts) -

I don't know. I'm still waiting on Iliad 2: Electric Boogaloo.

#34 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11471 posts) -

I have ZERO expectations for Episode VII, good or bad, other than that there will probably be some lens flare. So... anticipation isn't really the right word.

#35 Posted by Gatehouse (578 posts) -

I definitely feel people were more excited about Episode 1. It was the first Star Wars film for nearly two decades, all the original creatives were still on board and people still respected George Lucas as a film maker and the franchise was highly revered. Now though, the prequels and millions of other Star Wars branded stuff have muddied the waters, as have doubts about J.J Abrams.

#36 Posted by Snail (8578 posts) -

Episode I was.

#37 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3740 posts) -

I think it will be very anticipated as it gets closer, just the "will it be better than the prequel trilogy??" talk. But yes until it's out hard to say it is more anticipated than Episode I was.

#38 Posted by AgnosticJesus (542 posts) -

False, clearly the most anticipated sequel of all time is Dumb and Dumber to.

#39 Edited by Jeust (10473 posts) -

@shaunage said:

Well it's certainly less anticipated than Episode 1 was. Episode 1 saw to that.

I agree with this. Episode 1 was greatly antecipated even because it was a given fact, due to the fantasy built by the episodes IV, V and VI, and how great and profitable they were.

Personally I can see them doing great things with the next movie, but the thing is, unlike the prior movies, it will be probably based upon an already existing and marketed work, like the story of Jacen Solo and the descendents of Luke Skywaker and Mara Jade, and Han Solo and Leia. And there wasn't really a desire for the movie to be made, as people were already satisfied with what they had.

#40 Edited by Tom_omb (331 posts) -

I was super excited when the news first broke over a year ago, but it's died down some since then. The promise of new creators tackling the Star Wars universe is exciting. But since the Disney take over 1313 has been canceled and Detours has been put on the shelf. These decisions seem to go against that promise. I still hold out hope, that new Rebels animated series could be great.

People jump on the prequels like they are the worst thing humanity has ever produced. Some might think Disney's plan to release Star Wars movies every couple of years indefinitely would overexpose the franchise, but I look forward to people getting less precious about the series. The original trilogy will always be great, nothing will ever change that, and nothing will have the same impact as that original series. Even if the prequels were better movies (they aren't as terrible as most people say), they could never have lived up to the anticipation.

I like the idea of Star Wars becoming like James Bond, sure there might be some stinkers, like The World is Not Enough, but it opens up a future where great new interpretations of the franchise, like Skyfall. The anticipation for Episode VII may not be as high as it was for Episode I, but that can only be a good thing. Maybe one day will get over the prequels and just enjoy these movies.

Another model for how the Star Wars franchise might turn out is the Star Wars games. There have been great games, and forgettable games. They're not strictly beholden to the formula of the films and come from a variety of creators with different interpretations of the Star Wars universe. I realize I've been talking more about the future of the Star Wars franchise and not specifically about Episode VII. I guess I'm less excited about a new movie trilogy that will follow the old formulas as I am for the side films that will break those formulas.

#41 Posted by Veektarius (4585 posts) -

No, I don't think it is. One of the Dark Knight movies, maybe. Episode 1, if you count prequels. I think most people are open to another Star Wars movie being fun and great, but their expectations are tempered.

#42 Edited by GristleMcThornbody (160 posts) -

I have to say I'm keeping my expectations low... This is coming from someone who saw all of the special editions and prequels on opening night. I skipped school and got in line front of the theater at 5 am back in 1999 to get tickets for the Phantom Menace and just kept going back for more each sequel despite the bruises. I just can't muster that level of excitement again... the hurt was just too deep.

#43 Posted by OperationPrometheus (78 posts) -

@ajamafalous: No, I think you have the same problem as someone else had and are making too many assumptions. Literally all I asked was do you agree with what some news outlets are saying this early? True or False. Thats the only thing I wanted to know. I'm not grasping at anything, it was just a poll question.

Am I highly anticipating it? I've already said that as well and hell yes. But that has no impact on what I was asking.

As for everyone else, it's nice to see some actual replies instead of ripping my head off. Yeah I guess I understand now that the prequels did more harm for this franchise than good, which is a little disconcerting because I didn't think they were THAT bad. I mean I kind of treat them as separate entities and enjoy them each for the different things they were trying to achieve. Yes the prequels seemed a little more trite and over the top on some of the CGI stuff but I still found enjoyment in them and thought that the soundtrack for all the prequel movies was just as good if not better than the original trilogy.

#44 Posted by GERALTITUDE (2911 posts) -

how could some marketer's opinion be true or false.

#45 Posted by Clonedzero (4091 posts) -

I think people are more worried than they are excited.

I mean i know i am. I'm kinda expecting it to be shit. I'll see it in the theaters, i feel obligated to, but still.

#46 Edited by ryanwhom (290 posts) -

I've anticipated a Star Wars movie that Lucas didn't direct or write most of my life.

#47 Edited by OperationPrometheus (78 posts) -

@geraltitude: How are people not understanding such a basic question….haha. I'm asking YOU if YOU think it is the most anticipated. Seeing someone talk about is what brought it to my mind. I'm not saying a news page is a basis for fact. Wow, I didn't realize this could be so damn complicated.

#48 Posted by GERALTITUDE (2911 posts) -

@operationprometheus: hahaha

sorry duder.

Must have caught me at a bad time. Many of my other posts today are along the lines of AHFGGHA URG DIE so it tells you what kind of work day I'm having.

I apologize.

I think... it's True. But a caveat: anticipated could be "cautiously anticipated" as well. Pretty much every nerd under the sun is excited for Star Wars, but many of us are still sure it's gonna be another trash haul. It could easily be the highest grossing movie in the history of movies, and probably will, quality aside.

#49 Posted by OperationPrometheus (78 posts) -

@operationprometheus:

I think... it's True. But a caveat: anticipated could be "cautiously anticipated" as well. Pretty much every nerd under the sun is excited for Star Wars, but many of us are still sure it's gonna be another trash haul. It could easily be the highest grossing movie in the history of movies, and probably will, quality aside.

This. I agree 100%. Cautiously anticipated is the perfect phrase. And I agree with the highest-grossing movie whether its good or not.

#50 Posted by RandomHero666 (3181 posts) -

False, though I look forward to seeing thousands of angry people flood the internet.