• 110 results
#1 Posted by srwim (25 posts) -

One franchise gets to live, the other dies forever. Which do you choose and why?

#2 Posted by NTM (7374 posts) -

Didn't we have a Star Trek vs. Star Wars thread recently? It's a little different, but still. Anyways... huh. I like one over the other, but I don't dislike the other enough to say I'd want it to go away. I like Star Trek better.

#3 Edited by wrecks (2254 posts) -

Star Wars has been dead to me for years. So, Trek.

#4 Edited by Irvandus (2878 posts) -

Trek, I would rather watch the reboot movie or even "enterprise" over any of the Star Wars prequels.

#5 Edited by falling_fast (2218 posts) -

no two franchises set in space could be more different. kind of hard to compare. I'd argue that star wars isn't even really sci-fi.

#6 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3051 posts) -

I used to love Star Wars as a kid, but in recent years it has devolved into trite nonsense and has fallen out of grace with me. I have also recently (in the past few years) become a huge Star Trek fan. So for me, Star Trek lives, Star Wars dies.

#7 Posted by FreakAche (2953 posts) -

Is it weird that the only Star Wars related thing that I really like anymore is the cartoon?

#8 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

Star Wars, for now and forever

#9 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7616 posts) -

Even when Trek was bad, it never became the utter joke that Star Wars now is.

#10 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3865 posts) -

While I fully recognize Star Trek is still quality and Star Wars has become a joke, my vote is still Star Wars.

#11 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

apples vs oranges one dies forever pick one

#12 Posted by SeanFoster (868 posts) -

I like both, but Trek is near and dear to my heart. I enjoy pretty much every incarnation of Trek on some level (some even as a guilty pleasure). Trek gets me thinking about the people in my life and how I treat them and my place in the universe. Star Wars to me is just a backdrop for some fun swashbuckling adventures.

#13 Posted by BlackLagoon (1428 posts) -

Neither! Mowahahahahahaha!!!!!!

#14 Posted by TheHT (11225 posts) -

@SlightConfuse: apples all the way.

#15 Posted by Aetheldod (3579 posts) -

Star Wars , as much as all the hate it gets ; star trek is way to campy and to be honest I never thought that the precuels star wars movies are bad , yet there is no doubt that many of the trek ones are utter and complete crap.

#16 Edited by Viking_Funeral (1784 posts) -

These days? Kill off Star Wars. It'd be a mercy killing.

In the 90s I would have said Trek. It's been a slow slide downhill since TNG. (Edit: Not saying that TNG is bad, rather that everything since then has gotten progressively worse.)

#17 Posted by NTM (7374 posts) -

#18 Posted by ThePaleKing (613 posts) -

Are we talking about the franchises fighting each other? Like with their technology? If so, Star Trek. They have teleporters, and would just teleport photon torpedoes onto the bridge of any Star Wars ship.

#19 Posted by Adamsons (877 posts) -

Kind of off topic, but are the other series any better than Star Trek: TNG - I watched it in entirety and was actually pretty underwhelmed, which surprised me as a nerdy sci-fi fan.

#20 Posted by CookieMonster (2417 posts) -

Goku.

#21 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

Star Wars is unsalveagable. The Star Trek reboot flick managed to defy my expectations and actually be entertaining. Plus the Blu-Ray re-releases of TNG that are coming out seem to actually revere and take care of their source material unlike the re-releases of Star Wars flicks which has just sprayed rancid diarreah over it.

#22 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

Star Trek. It was better than Star Wars from the beginning, and it is better now.

Star Wars never truly clicked. The first 2 films are good, a case can be made for great movies, but beyond that there's nothing exciting there. Star Trek on it's best day can take down Star Wars on it's best day. Basically, what I'm saying, is First Contact > Empire Strikes Back.

#23 Posted by BoOzak (917 posts) -

@Adamsons said:

Kind of off topic, but are the other series any better than Star Trek: TNG - I watched it in entirety and was actually pretty underwhelmed, which surprised me as a nerdy sci-fi fan.

I might get a lot of flak for this but I prefer Voyager. I feel as though you have to already be a fan of Star Trek the original series to really enjoy TNG, whereas Voyager works regardless. Also it's not quite as campy due to it being a newer series. (although to some that might be a bad thing) Also, no Wesley Crusher.

And if that comment wasnt any indication, Star Trek. My favourite thing to come out of SW was KOTOR. The films were fine, but the amount of crap that came out as a result of them kind of ruined the franchise for me.

#24 Posted by SortedeVaras (111 posts) -

@ThePaleKing said:

Are we talking about the franchises fighting each other? Like with their technology? If so, Star Trek. They have teleporters, and would just teleport photon torpedoes onto the bridge of any Star Wars ship.

The emperor could tear apart the time-space continuum by himself in giant planet destroying storms from thousands of light years away. He could take out the entire Earth and all of Star Fleet by himself without having to leave his palace. :p http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Force_storm_(wormhole)

#25 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Stargate

#26 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

Versus threads are so not dinosaurs.

#27 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

Star trek lives, it INVENTED TABLET COMPUTING. What did Star Wars do, crappy CGI remakes and cheesy acting.

#28 Posted by sins_of_mosin (1556 posts) -

Different setups.  Thou Star Wars will never have a live show as good as TNG but Trek will never have such a wide selection of novels like Wars.

#29 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Star Wars rules the movies, Star Trek rules the TVs - albeit Star Wars has a Genndy Tartakovsky contribution on the TV front, which really is nigh impossible to beat, but I guess 40 odd years of content have got to count for something. Definitely Star Wars overall, Star Trek's fun too.

Either way, have some Genndy Tartakovsky, and raise your fist against the cuel gods, that deny us a Sym-Bionic Titan BluRay/DVD release.

#30 Edited by connerthekewlkid (1832 posts) -

@Seppli: YOU FORGOT ME AND DURGE

and yeah sure star wars just has more interesting characters and villians star trek just kinda bored me

and the 2003 cartoon still has a place in my heart

#31 Posted by falconpunch (178 posts) -

Star Trek is probably the better show, but... I like star wars better

#32 Posted by selbie (1899 posts) -

Star Trek. It's space politics done right.

Star Wars lost its cowboy western feel after the new trilogy. Also Lucas turned a noble and mysterious religion into a bunch of sniveling emo bitches complaining about everything.

#33 Posted by WickedFather (1733 posts) -

The Big Bang Theory.  Make it go away and never have been so nobody even has memories of it.  Obliterate!

#34 Posted by Liquidus (946 posts) -

@TheSouthernDandy said:

While I fully recognize Star Trek is still quality and Star Wars has become a joke, my vote is still Star Wars.

That's pretty much where I stand. Star Wars had such a huge significance to my childhood, Star Trek couldn't ever compare.

#35 Posted by BaneFireLord (2933 posts) -

I like Doctor Who better than both. So there.

#36 Posted by cruxking (204 posts) -

is there a star trek kinect game? no? then i guess it wins by default

#37 Posted by Jay_Ray (1097 posts) -

@NTM said:

Sums it up nicely

#38 Posted by ShaggE (6450 posts) -

Trek. I've tried, but I could never muster up a shit to give about Star Wars. It doesn't help that it's EVERYWHERE, even after prequelgeddon.

Lightsabers are still awesome, though.

#39 Posted by Dad_Is_A_Zombie (1225 posts) -

Trek lives on.

#40 Posted by MightyDuck (1522 posts) -

I've always been a Star Wars guy since being a kid. I still remember watching Star Wars on USA a long time ago before the re-releases and loving them. I gave Star Trek a shot once but just couldn't get into it. Although, I did like the JJ Abrams movie from a few years back.

#41 Posted by clstirens (847 posts) -

@WinterSnowblind said:

I'm sad to agree. I used to love Star Wars, but they killed it.

#42 Edited by flindip (533 posts) -

@Tylea002 said:

Star Trek. It was better than Star Wars from the beginning, and it is better now.

Star Wars never truly clicked. The first 2 films are good, a case can be made for great movies, but beyond that there's nothing exciting there. Star Trek on it's best day can take down Star Wars on it's best day. Basically, what I'm saying, is First Contact > Empire Strikes Back.

I cannot imagine how anyone can think Star Trek: First Contact is better than Empire Strikes Back on any level. Irregardless if you prefer Star Wars or Star Trek, Empire Strikes Back is one of the greatest genre pictures of all time. That film transcends the Star Wars franchise and its an important cultural film. The technical achievements, and cinematography alone(not to mention musical score)are unbelievable. I mean you didn't even pick a quality Star Trek film. None of the Next Generation films were good on any level. A couple of them were even worse than the Star Wars prequels(but nobody remembers because nobody saw them).

Pretty much none of the Star Trek films ever even came close to that picture(that includes Wrath of Kahn-which is a great movie-pretty much the only real great Star Trek movie).

I think some of you guys are really short sighted. Star Trek has a metric TON of awful as a franchise:

Third season of the original series, most of the next generation, most of DS9 are pretty much bad. From Voyager on, imo, it was pretty much crap straight up.

Star Trek was on life support until JJ Abrahams came along and decided to make a movie. A film that pretty much abandoned the sensibilities of Trek in general. All it had was Star Trek window dressing.

If Star Trek can reinvent itself a million times over, so can Star Wars.

As far as which franchise would I kill off? I value fine cinema over fine TV. So I would take Star Wars.

But its a horrible and unfair comparison. I love the first two seasons of the original Star Trek.

#43 Posted by NathHaw (2766 posts) -

I'm going to narrow it down a bit and say that I prefer Voyager and TNG to SW.

#44 Posted by gaminghooligan (1442 posts) -

@wrecks said:

Star Wars has been dead to me for years. So, Trek.

#45 Posted by habster3 (3595 posts) -

Depends on the era:

First two Star Wars movies > Classic Star Trek

Newer Star Wars stuff < Newer Star Trek stuff (by a longshot)

#46 Posted by Barrock (3531 posts) -

This thread? Again?

#47 Posted by Brendan (7798 posts) -

@WinterSnowblind said:

To be fair, Star Wars gets much worse attention for its worst than Star Trek at it's worst because Star Wars was still huge when it sucked, whereas the audience for Star Trek was greatly diminished in the crappy years.

#48 Posted by ninjalegend (430 posts) -

I remember watching The Empire Strikes Back and Wrath of Khan when I was just a child. The early Star Wars and Star Trek movies shaped me into the nerd I am today. They still hold up. So many people have been inspired by them to create great things. How about this. Both live, but every movie or tv series from either after 1994 can be erased from time. While the following Star trek series were not all terrible, and I hear the Star Wars cartoon was not a total abomination, none have the strength of Star Wars 4 5 and 6 or Wrath of Khan. I could not imagine SCI-FI today without them.

#49 Edited by flindip (533 posts) -

@Brendan said:

@WinterSnowblind said:

To be fair, Star Wars gets much worse attention for its worst than Star Trek at it's worst because Star Wars was still huge when it sucked, whereas the audience for Star Trek was greatly diminished in the crappy years.

This is an excellent point. Some very strange revisionist history going on. I don't think some folks watched that much Star Trek as a whole. When it was bad it was REALLY bad.

Anyone see Star Trek insurrection? Anybody?

#50 Posted by DoctorDanger99 (686 posts) -

thats tough.to me, star wars will allways be the firey love in my life that shaped who i was and who i am as i person and no matter what will allways hold a special place in my heart...star trek is more like the girl you marry. sure,shes great and you love her so very very much.but she will never make you quiver with joy when you hear, "Thats no moon,ITS A SPACE STATION!"

I Cant choose. i vote to kill myself.though you may strike me down,ill become more powerful than you can possibly imagine. needs of the many and all that.