Steven Tyler's voice in "Dream On"

CaseyW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By CaseyW

sounds nothing like the voice he uses in every other aerosmith song i've ever heard. has anybody here heard other songs from that album or earlier? does he use that voice in anything else?

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2  Edited By Arkthemaniac

That voice is the best he ever produced. He probably just use proper singing technique on that one.

HazBazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By HazBazz

Dream On was their first single, and it was before Steve ruined his voice from screaming in all their other songs. Listen to the Guitar Hero 3 re-recording, he can't pull off that voice.

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

Yep, that was Tyler's young voice.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Black_Rose

Yes, it's incredible, very calm and beautiful. When i first heard it i didn't think it was him, but as the other dude said he ruined it screaming in other songs. 

EDIT: His voice in the song "Big Ten Inch Record" is also kinda different, so you should listen to that

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

For years I assumed that was Aerosmith's original vocalist, but yep, that's actually Steven Tyler.  Amazing song.

roofy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By roofy

he had one of the best rock voices ever and traded it in for some crack

CaseyW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CaseyW

makes me wonder how popular they'd be if his voice stayed like that. it was good but kind of generic. now it's very distinctive.

ChrisMac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ChrisMac

That's not his young voice, and that's not before his voice was 'messed up'.  Go to YouTube and type in Aerosmith Dream On (LiveJapan'02) and you can see how he switches between his regular voice we hear now to the voice you hear in the original song.  And it was just in 2002.  I think he just used that back-of-the-throat voice originally just because he just wasn't able to sing the way he does now.  That throat voice is much less of a strain, so that's why he probably used it originally and switches to it ocassionaly in that Japan recording.

Mourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Mourne
ChrisMac said:
"That's not his young voice, and that's not before his voice was 'messed up'.  Go to YouTube and type in Aerosmith Dream On (LiveJapan'02) and you can see how he switches between his regular voice we hear now to the voice you hear in the original song.  And it was just in 2002.  I think he just used that back-of-the-throat voice originally just because he just wasn't able to sing the way he does now.  That throat voice is much less of a strain, so that's why he probably used it originally and switches to it ocassionaly in that Japan recording."
The audio on that performance could have been fixed after-the-fact, as well. That's actually not that unusual if the results are less than satisfactory.
shannone164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By shannone164

Steven Tyler had vocal cord surgery and the result of that was the new voice.  In my opinion which is the best.  His voice is way better now because it gives it so much more soul than ever before.  Before he was just a pretty sound that anyone could pull off which is why many say that led zeppelin is the original voice of dream on which is 100% false.  Steven tyler wrote the song and sang the song and now has the song sounding even better with his new raspy voice. if you got a problem w/ the truth then talk to me bitches

Gameboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Gameboi

He also said in the book Dream On that he was embarrassed over his singing voice at first, and purposely tried to sound different. 

miop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By miop

Its not his "young voice"he changed it intentionally in 1975 while the band was recording they're album "Toys In The Attic" because he was worried about how well the record would do and because the band was so uptight when they were making it(Steven Tyler said so himself in the Aerosmith autobiography "Walk This Way") and he can still sing like he did on Dream On as well as the first two albums(Aerosmith,Get Your Wings) and part of the third(Toys In The Attic).

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By natetodamax

I can't stand his voice in any of their songs.

Sander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By Sander

@roofy said:

he had one of the best rock voices ever and traded it in for some crack

At least he didn't waste it.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By Justin258

@HazBazz said:

Dream On was their first single, and it was before Steve ruined his voice from screaming in all their other songs. Listen to the Guitar Hero 3 re-recording, he can't pull off that voice.

There was also all those drugs. Those can also mess up your voice.

Luckily he cleaned up and didn't completely ruin his voice. You could almost say that he got back in the saddle and didn't miss a thing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

The best Aerosmith song is Train Kept A Rollin'. Come at me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Also music is the weapon.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By wjb

Do people have Google Alerts for "Steven Tyler/Dream On" or what?

EDIT: Wow, just realized this was four years old.

Omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By Omega

The first thought that popped in my head when seeing the title of this thread was "I didn't know Steven Tyler was in Dream On."

Is that weird?

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think his voice sounds better later than in Dream On. It's very generic in Dream On, on his later albums you know his voice right away, which is far superior than sounding like everyone else. I think Steven Tyler has one of the best rock voices ever, and I'm not even an Aerosmith fan per se.