Stop, Think boy.

AspiringAndy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By AspiringAndy

I've been reading lots of guides lately on "How to become A Games Journalist".
There was one that I came across that tried to convince me that it was a bad thing and is extremely hard and the pay in the first couple of years is tough until 'you get your foot in the door'

Now if I had one of these...
Now if I had one of these...

But I'm not really stressed about pay, I've come to realise that If I enjoy my job enough, I don't need that much money. That's what its all about right?

Exams in two weeks at school, getting nervous.
I'm gonna take a break from games and actually do my homework/study for a bit now.
Holidays come, I'll start writing some reviews Brad gave me advice saying that I need to get my work out there. How can I deny the man who has the voice of thunder?

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Rowr

I would consider starting out as a hobby, GB is a good venue to practice your writing.

Brandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By Brandy

Or do what I did/am doing/ have done. Find a "volunteer" site to work for. In my case it's Grrlgamer.com, a completely legitimate organization, greatly supported by various video game developers, publishers and so on. Has allowed me to really get my foot in the door of the business and meet some terrific people in the industry, and while I don't actually get paid for my writing in cash, I've received enough free games to review that I couldn't even begin to list them all here. Definitely something to look into if you're considering whether or not to dedicate your life to the field.

Chokobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Chokobo

For the first few years out of school, you're basically guaranteed a place in the unemployment line if you don't have a robust portfolio.