Straight Razor Users?

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ghost_cat

I've got some pretty thick facial hair, and it has come to a point where I'm just fed up with how crummy typical razors make up my overall shaving experience. I also think electric razors suck, so don't try to toss that sack my way. Anyways, I've been thinking of trying out straight razors, but I have no experience using them, so I'm asking: does anyone here use straight razors? Are they fun and relatively easy to use once you get the hang of them?

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I've been using them for two months and honestly I wouldn't go back to any other method. It's smooth, gives me less irritation than the other methods and is significantly cheaper than the other methods. Watch a couple of youtube videos to see how to do it properly. Set aside some time to shave also as it takes more time than the others ways at first. After you get the hang of it it shouldn't take you long if you shave regularly. This is apparently one of the better razors and these are pretty good blades. Use shaving soap and a proper brush and you'll be good to go. Again search youtube for tips.

preheatedbibby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

kingspeedy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By kingspeedy

Are you talking about straight (cutthroat Sweeney Todd style) or double-edged (the kind that you drop a razor blade in)?

I've been shaving with a double-edged razor for a few years now. I can count on one hand the number of times that I've cut myself, and I've saved a small fortune in blades. Whereas blades for something like a Gillette Fusion run around $4 each, the Feather blades that I use are less than $0.30. If you change blades once a week, you're looking at about $200 in your pocket every year. It definitely adds up.

If you want to go directly to a straight razor, I'd still suggest trying double-edged for a bit. Cartridge razors spoil you with things like pivoting heads that make it a lot easier to shave around a jawline, so you need to get used to rotating your hand more around it and pulling skin flat to minimize stubble. It's better to learn with a double-edged first and then continue on to a straight.

If you want brand recommendation, stick with a simple handle from someone like Merkur or Edwin Jagger (get one that's textured in some way so it's less likely to slip in your hand). For blades, my personal preference is Feather, but there are plenty of options out there. Some people prefer one brand for daily shaving and another if it's been a few days; I just stick with one that works great for me. Also, don't be afraid to change your blade often. I generally swap out after three shaves, but use your judgement. I've seen too many guys with mangled faces because they're holding on to an old Gillette Fusion cartridge because of how expensive they are. Lastly, watch a Youtube video or three to get the technique down. Start by shaving with the grain, but try across and against as well to see what works best for your beard and skin.

Nengjanggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Nengjanggo

I tried using a straight razor (the cut-throat, badass kind) a few times. I bought a good one, did a ton of research, tried to do it all properly (followed all of the instructions that serious shaving people give you: lots of face-soaking in hot water, good shaving cream and a nice shaving brush, etc etc). It was a terrible experience in every possible way. Took literally five times as long, the shave was not as close as with a Mach 3, and I got serious razor burn. I tried it a few times and gave up. Maybe it would have gotten amazing...

I have really tough facial hair also, and I go through Mach 3 blades pretty fast; using nice shaving cream and shaving in the shower really helps me a lot.

Avatar image for deactivated-591a5e1dc14fa
deactivated-591a5e1dc14fa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't recommend a safety razor enough, I switched 4 months ago and it's a process but it was worth it the first time. You'll cut yourself more at first, but the shave will be much closer and you'll get better. I think it's a solid half measure between a cartridge razor and a straight razor. I'm going to give it a couple more months or so and switch myself. The only thing is that there is an upfront investment but I honestly would recommend it to anyone. Seal of approval from a random guy on the Internet. Didnt read all the above posts so sorry if I said a bunch of the same

Also so far it does take a lot longer so have time to set aside or learn on the weekends, it takes me maybe 40 minutes if I don't want my face to be a mess afterwards but it does get faster like anything

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I did for a while, but got lazy keeping it sharp and have fallen back on disposables. The straight razor is far superior though.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ghost_cat

Cool, thanks everyone for your input. I guess I'll give straight razors a go, and to everyone who asked: yes, I meant the cutthroat straight razor.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By mike

I tried using one for awhile, they are just too maintenance heavy and time consuming to use and I didn't feel like the shave was any better than a fresh Mach 4 cartridge.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By BBAlpert

Hey there, straight or not, I don't judge my razors. #YesAllRazors

(I'm sorry)

Avatar image for darknessmyoldfriend
DarknessMyOldFriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

You should just not shave and grow a beard like a man!

With that said... I will just let you know that electric shavers are super shitty when you first start using them. You actually have to use them for a couple of months straight to get your face used to them. I know this because I have bought $150 electric shavers only to throw them away after a week multiple times. Ended up finally saying fuck it to all shaving and now after a year of using an electric on my cheeks, it is just as smooth as if I used a safety razor. Of course, this not me telling you to not use a straight edge as you can't beat them, I just thought I would inform on the electric because I too thought they were shitty.