#1 Posted by GetEveryone (4458 posts) -

As the title says, I've been thinking about this kind of set-up for a while. If it requires a new TV, then I'll be less inclined (but may consider it).

Basically, I want to be able to continue using the computer in the spare room as a study, but lose all the clutter in the living room by streaming it directly from one room (PC) to the other (TV).

Is this possible with current technology? I don't even want to entertain the thought of wires as there's already have a TV one going all over the shop, despite the fact that we never actually watch it.

#2 Edited by CoverlessTech (749 posts) -

Depends on what you want to stream and what devices you have. I keep all my videos on my PC in my office and stream them anywhere in the house on my iPad with the app Air PlayIt HD. With the HDMI adapter I am able to output to my TV/Monitors anywhere in the house.

Xbox and PS3 have streaming abilities as well. I also think some of the boxes like Roku or Boxee may stream content from PCs.

#3 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

Surely there's got to be something that can do this. There are things like GoToMyPc which allows you to access your desktop from another device, which you might be able to plug directly into the TV. But I don't think that would work for gaming or anything like that due to latency.

#4 Edited by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

I use TVersity to stream videos from my PC to the 360 in my living room. The only problem is that the 360 doesn't handle subtitles and is very limited in the variety of formats it can deal with.

#5 Posted by Kidavenger (3628 posts) -
#6 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

It sounds more than likely Steam is putting out something like this in the future.

#7 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
@Kidavenger said:

http://www.nero.com/enu/products/nero12-platinum/streaming-movies-to-android-ipad-tv.php

I haven't tried it yet but found this last weekend when I was trying to find Blu ray software for windows 8.

That seems a lot like PlayOn, which is what I used to watch Netflix and Hulu on the toilet via my PSP before smartphones took over, except a little more professional and expensive.

edit: I suppose so does TVersity as Ravenlight linked. However I think the OP wants to actually use the PC from the living room and not just use it to watch videos.
#8 Posted by GetEveryone (4458 posts) -

@MrKlorox said:

Surely there's got to be something that can do this. There are things like GoToMyPc which allows you to access your desktop from another device, which you might be able to plug directly into the TV. But I don't think that would work for gaming or anything like that due to latency.

That's possibly the sort of thing I was thinking of. I won't be using it for gaming, as I'm perfectly content to do that sitting in the spare room, but in the evening I want to be able to relax on the sofa without being confined to the relic that is like TV.

@Ravenlight said:

I use TVersity to stream videos from my PC to the 360 in my living room. The only problem is that the 360 doesn't handle subtitles and is very limited in the variety of formats it can deal with.

That seems pretty good, but I'd rather be able to throw every format at it without issue (and without the constraint of the 360).

#9 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
@GetEveryone said:

@Ravenlight said:

That seems pretty good, but I'd rather be able to throw every format at it without issue (and without the constraint of the 360).

In that case, you might want to take a look at PlayOnif you just want to watch videos from the net and your local media server. It transcodes the video in real-time to a format your 360 or PS3 can play. I haven't used it for two years though, so I don't know how well it currently works.

I was under the impression you wanted to work at your PC from your couch instead.
#10 Edited by Lokno (386 posts) -

It sounds like Nvidia is working on something that will do this, read so in an interview with a rep for the Geforce Grid clouding computing hardware. Those boards have compression and networking built in so you can send your framebuffer off to a remote node without even bothering the CPU. A consumer version of that hardware would be exactly what you're looking for, and probably that will exist in a year or so. I don't know any good software implementations.

From the article:

GamesBeat: That’s when you have Nvidia hardware in data centers that are streaming things into TVs, right?

Eisler: We look at it both ways. A lot of our focus is on that, putting in the data centers and streaming to TVs or tablets or phones. Or PCs or Mac products. But also, the idea that if you have a high-end gaming PC in your home, you could actually stream it to screens around the home yourself. So it’s both data-center-based and local home-server-based.

Read more at http://venturebeat.com/2012/09/21/after-onlive-heres-why-nvidia-believes-cloud-gaming-is-just-getting-started-interview/#SzP7ohJ15SgIbupP.99
#11 Edited by GetEveryone (4458 posts) -

@Lokno said:

It sounds like Nvidia is working on something that will do this, read so in an interview with a rep for the Geforce Grid clouding computing hardware. Those boards have compression and networking built in so you can send your framebuffer off to a remote node without even bothering the CPU. A consumer version of that hardware would be exactly what you're looking for, and probably that will exist in a year or so. I don't know any good software implementations.

From the article:

GamesBeat: That’s when you have Nvidia hardware in data centers that are streaming things into TVs, right?

Eisler: We look at it both ways. A lot of our focus is on that, putting in the data centers and streaming to TVs or tablets or phones. Or PCs or Mac products. But also, the idea that if you have a high-end gaming PC in your home, you could actually stream it to screens around the home yourself. So it’s both data-center-based and local home-server-based.

Read more at http://venturebeat.com/2012/09/21/after-onlive-heres-why-nvidia-believes-cloud-gaming-is-just-getting-started-interview/#SzP7ohJ15SgIbupP.99

That is EXACTLY what I was looking for. The idea of using an intermediary (360/PS3) is totally unappealing, but using it as a local- server of sorts... I know that with Samsung products you' 're able to literally flick photos from screen to screen, so this seems sort of like an extension of that. Being able to turn on the PC remotely would be great... having them integrated would blow my mind.