• 189 results
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By sweep  Moderator

As many of you will be aware, today was the second wave of student protests over government budget cuts to the British education system. The cuts plan to raise university fees from £3000 to £9000 a year, as well as removing the weekly EMA [Educational maintenance allowance] that low income families receive, and removing all funding for many university subjects such as the arts. Many students are particularly annoyed with the deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg who promised that, if elected, he would remove tuition fees completely. His party is the smaller half of the current government coalition and since forming this coalition his plans for the education system seem to have been ignored. Many people are unhappy about this.

You can read all about it here: 
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-11829102   
http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2010/nov/24/student-protests-school-children-streets   

As the news reports roll in you can see that the protests literally spanned the entire country and the, well, results have varied. The general protest was a walk-out, where thousands of students, lecturers and teachers from around the country all simply dropped what they were doing and took to the streets. In London, for example, thousands of students showed up in Whitehall and clashed with riot police, then opted to smash up a police van. Or maybe it was the other way around? I forget.

Other student groups have occupied public and government buildings. Earlier today I took part in a march on Bournemouth town center with about 500 other students and we sat in the middle of a busy street in the middle of town obstructing traffic for a couple of hours, for example.  

I figured that there will be a decent amount of British students using giantbomb, at least some of you must have taken part in some form of protest?

Even if you didn't directly take part, if there is anything from today that you would like to share, feel free to post it here.

• Friendly neighbourhood moderator Mracoon has taken part in an organised sit-in, occupying a building and refusing to leave (for 31 hours, as I write this) as a form of peaceful protest. He was thoughtful enough to provide a live video feed, I know he would appreciate it if you dropped by to show him some love and support.  
  • Really nice article here (From the Guardian) about kids as young as 14 taking part in the protests.
  • An article written about the Bournemouth march I took part in in the local newspaper.
  • Video of kids smashing up police van.
  • BBC picture feed of protests from around the country.

Politics!

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Red12b

I wish I could join,

being in proves difficult

thank Christ we haven't had to slash and burn...yet

joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By joeybagad0nutz

Wish I was over there. And damn was that Harry Potter going against that police officer?
Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By Snail

My opinion when it comes to these subjects can boil down to a rather short but nonetheless valid sentence, I believe:

How will smashing vans fix anything?

Seriously, the guy in the last picture describes that one of those adolescent stereotypes that I simply cannot avoid to hate: poorly dressed, foolishly idealistic, most likely pseudo-intellectual, idiotically vandalizing government/private property believing that will make a difference? There he stands, all full of himself, making a show for everyone, fighting for his rights in the most immature way possible. Despicable. I respect Mracoon for the sit-in you mentioned: it demonstrates how unhappy the group of people that took part in the protest are, without hurting or destroying anything.

But honestly, we've seen the violent sort of riots happen over and over. Basically people who have not met life yet and have not met disillusionment and cynicism, shouting out with all the energy of their youth for some cause. The cause is valid, but what on earth are they doing to fix it? Drawing graffiti that read "REVoLuTIon"? Grow up.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ryanwho

Anarchy kids are fucking stupid and kind of deflate any legitimacy in a protest. 

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By mracoon

Thanks for the plug. The camera's off now because people are sleeping but I'll turn it back on in the morning. It's surprising the amount of people who are willing to watch people sitting down for hours on end. It's been a lot of fun though and it's great to see occupations happening at universities right across the UK.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By owl_of_minerva

Anarchy and vandalism is preferable to apathetically taking it in the ass. I've noticed a few petitions filtering down from Britain regarding arts faculties getting shut, such as Middlesex's well-respected continental philosophy program, which is bullshit. Hope the struggle against corporate restructuring has some success.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By meteora

The tuition fee increase is just absurd. They need to stand up against this.

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By inkerman

While not in Britain (I will be soon), I do keep up with the politics there, and many of the cuts seem to have been mismanaged. I understand that cuts need to be made (but I don't see why the Government can't simply confiscate some of banks' profits after they bailed them out), but they're being cut in the wrong places, for example I think the ditching of the Ark Royal and the Harrier jets was a disgrace, on top of this education thing.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ryanwho
@owl_of_minerva said:
" Anarchy and vandalism is preferable to apathetically taking it in the ass. I've noticed a few petitions filtering down from Britain regarding arts faculties getting shut, such as Middlesex's well-respected continental philosophy program, which is bullshit. Hope the struggle against corporate restructuring has some success. "
That's fine and all, but anarchy boy is posing for the camera like a catwalk model. Im not sure what statement is being made other than "look at me, people with cameras! I'm what a protest is supposed to look like." Very superficial.
Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Emilio
@Sweep:

Physical violent protest should be the last and final resort, never the first or second or third. 
Violence to the physical will not change things for the better. There needs to be violence by word and by thought. 

I'm glad those humans are standing up for something. I mean, by your words, you are saying they are trying to triple tuition and make it difficult for low income families to go to school. They are trying, intentionally or not, to keep as many people as possible from being educated. 

I just hope the young ones do not resort to "fake" anarchy and vandalism. If they want this, they must do it widespread, and they must be ready to be jailed for the crime, and they must be ready to be physically injured. Otherwise, keep on with the peace and make your voices heard every day, all day, until it is burnt in the minds of everyone who can see and hear what is going on.
owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By owl_of_minerva
@ryanwho:  Oh I don't disagee in that instance, people will want their fifteen minutes of fame, whether it contributes anything to their cause or not. More a response to the general "oh let's be all limpwristed and liberal about it when tuition fees are set to triple and quality of education set to degrade."
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HitmanAgent47

They are trying to dumb down the U.K and it's important to get more intellegent ppl there. If you are in the U.K, here is a cause that's worth protesting. I'm sure you wouldn't want your education system to be at the level of the united states. Well united states at least has decent universities.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By HandsomeDead

It's hilarious how, last year, lectures were only ever half full, essays were always handed in late and now the fees are going up, everyone's complaining. As expected, British students only care because they've got to pay more for their three year holiday now and these Topman cunts acting out V For Vendetta just make the whole thing look like an embarrassment.

OREOphosphate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By OREOphosphate

I hate that there will be a rise in university fees....But i hate smelly protesters or "Anarchy kids" more! also nice to see this being discussed on this site. 

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#16  Edited By Claude

Good thing you guys don't live in the U.S. You would burn this place down.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ryanwho
@Claude said:
" Good thing you guys don't live in the U.S. You would burn this place down. "
I don't want to speak out of turn but I think the states actually have more tuition assistance programs than the UK.
Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Claude
@ryanwho said:
" @Claude said:
" Good thing you guys don't live in the U.S. You would burn this place down. "
I don't want to speak out of turn but I think the states actually have more tuition assistance programs than the UK. "
Sorry, I was talking about public schools. My bad.
JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#20  Edited By JonathanMoore

For real, UK Rules.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By Hamz

When I was in school EMA was a complete joke. It was so easy to doctor the application forms and the money was never used as intended. We used it primarily to buy booze, cigarettes and weed at the weekend and generally fund our social lives as teenagers.  

I'm not surprised to see it being scrapped. It's probably half the reason the so called 'under age drinking problem' exists in the UK!

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Claude
@Hamz said:
" When I was in school EMA was a complete joke. It was so easy to doctor the application forms and the money was never used as intended. We used it primarily to buy booze and weed at the weekend and generally fund our social lives as teenagers.   I'm not surprised to see it being scrapped. It's probably half the reason the so called 'under age drinking problem' exists in the UK! "
I can't find the facts. But I remember commenting on some threads about the good monies to be had. It could be used to buy video games as well. Right?
ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#23  Edited By ZombiePie
@ryanwho:  Even without tuition assistance (I'm Middle Class) 15 credits in a State college in California is still under $3,000 per semester. I live off campus (rent an apartment) so that also saves me money. I have no idea how much my fifth year to get my credentials will cost me.

Anyways from what I have heard is that most of the protests have been peaceful and to those students more power to you.
WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By WickedCestus

So by breaking shit (that'll cause more government money to be used in repairs) they hope that the government will want to give them more money. 

Makes sense to me.

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By jasta

Its still free in Scotland, sucks to be England. 

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By iam3green

well good for them. i wish i was there. it sounds like fun to protest in a peaceful way. i never been in one.

JammyJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By JammyJesus

Yeah, sorry about that.

Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Mars_Cleric

yes show them how intelligent and reasonable you are by smashing cars and fighting 
that way they're sure to help fund your education 

also here in Aus I'm pretty sure Labor was coming to the unis saying they'll eliminate fees but they've been in power for a while now and still I'm 14 grand in debt 
never trust a polly
keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By keyhunter

Sucks for you people!
The government pays me to go to school. And my tuition is tax deduct-able. 

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By benpack

I wonder if they are checking into FourSquare while they riot like during the SF "riots" after the Giants won the World Series. Seriously America forgot how to stage protests.

Detrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Detrian

Wow people really don't understand how protests put pressure on the goverment? Really? Reeeeaally?

I don't know what's worse, that or the people dismissing the protest because the people dress "funny".

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Arker101
 Good luck to the peaceful protesters. 

@Snail
said:
"My opinion when it comes to these subjects can boil down to a rather short but nonetheless valid sentence, I believe:

Seriously, the guy in the last picture describes that one of those adolescent stereotypes that I simply cannot avoid to hate: poorly dressed, foolishly idealistic, most likely pseudo-intellectual, idiotically vandalizing government/private property believing that will make a difference? There he stands, all full of himself, making a show for everyone, fighting for his rights in the most immature way possible. Despicable. I respect Mracoon for the sit-in you mentioned: it demonstrates how unhappy the group of people that took part in the protest are, without hurting or destroying anything.  But honestly, we've seen the violent sort of riots happen over and over. Basically people who have not met life yet and have not met disillusionment and cynicism, shouting out with all the energy of their youth for some cause. The cause is valid, but what on earth are they doing to fix it? Drawing graffiti that read "REVoLuTIon"? Grow up. "

I whole heartedly agree.
jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33  Edited By jonnyboy

That's gotta be the only Red phone box left in the UK, and look what those soap-dodging cunts did to it.

Where am I gonna get my tart-cards now?

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Ineedaname

=D I was totally part of the Liverpool one.

Win.

mikevanpwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By mikevanpwn

Yeah!  Go UK!  Protest because the government can no longer afford all the programs you think you're entitled to!

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By HandsomeDead
@Ineedaname said:
" =D I was totally part of the Liverpool one.  Win. "
I can't imagine it looked any different to Concert Square on a friday night.
Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Ineedaname
@HandsomeDead said:
" @Ineedaname said:
" =D I was totally part of the Liverpool one.  Win. "
I can't imagine it looked any different to Concert Square on a friday night. "
The women had more clothes than normal on.
It was fairly cold.
RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By RandomHero666

I am behind this, more people need to stand up against the wankers.

Sweep I want to see you on the news some day..

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By yinstarrunner

Aaaaand that's what happens when the people of a country are dependent on their government's social programs.  When cuts need to be made, people go apeshit.

Just a generalized statement, as I know nothing about the UK's education system or their politics as a whole.

Zimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Zimbo

To put this into perspective for the Americans. After doing an average three year degree you will most likely be $42,570 in debt. 

Great way to start out your career isn't it. After all, us students are just rolling in the money.

Avatar image for kitsune_conundrum
kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I understand yearly fee raises but 3000-9000 pounds no less? A bit extreme. What were they thinking? 

Also, protesters need to learn to wear helmets. Even bicycle helmets would be good.

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#42  Edited By Jazz

ergh. 
I wonder how much it cost to clean up after them, pay the police to deal with it and fix that van. 

MisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By MisterChief
@yinstarrunner said:
" Aaaaand that's what happens when the people of a country are dependent on their government's social programs.  When cuts need to be made, people go apeshit.  Just a generalized statement, as I know nothing about the UK's education system or their politics as a whole. "
I live in New Zealand and our student loans are all interest free. That along with our free health care just make me want to get out of this Socialist hell hole and move to the democratic paradise that is America.
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By BraveToaster

All the Topmen need that extra money so they can buy the Kinect and Dance Central.

thegoldencat7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By thegoldencat7

Wish there'd been a walkout at York University. Actually no, scratch that, its far too cold.
Godot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#46  Edited By Godot
@yinstarrunner said:
" Aaaaand that's what happens when the people of a country are dependent on their government's social programs.  When cuts need to be made, people go apeshit.  Just a generalized statement, as I know nothing about the UK's education system or their politics as a whole. "
An ill-informed statement on the internet? Well I never.
WalkerTR77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#47  Edited By WalkerTR77
@HandsomeDead said:
" It's hilarious how, last year, lectures were only ever half full, essays were always handed in late and now the fees are going up, everyone's complaining. As expected, British students only care because they've got to pay more for their three year holiday now and these Topman cunts acting out V For Vendetta just make the whole thing look like an embarrassment. "

I'm really glad to be Scottish, studying in Scotland. I wouldn't be going to Uni if it cost nine grand a year on top of everything else.
mzuckerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#48  Edited By mzuckerm

God forbid the people using a service actually have to pay for it themselves.  Is there really nothing better to protest? 

Where I went to law school (in the U.S.), it was not uncommon for people to come out with six figures of debt.  That's not a good thing, but it's made it rather hard for me to get worked up about this.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By sweep  Moderator
@CaLe said:

" Doesn't this just mean that many students will be taking out 3 times the loan amount to pay for their courses? Then paying it off slowly after they get a job. "

Technically yes, a lot of people seem slightly confused about the whole thing. It's more to do with the complete lack of funding and removal of government support from a lot of the education system (for example art colleges will receive a 100% drop in funding, my own university will receive a 93% drop). The increase in tuition fees would still be covered by government student loans, though the interest rate, amount, and time it would take to repay - have all been increased as a result of these cuts. 

As for the violence

it's hard to pinpoint. When you have a crowd of 2000 people protesting peacefully, what's to stop 20 random dickheads who have nothing to do with the protest from jumping into the crowd and smashing something up? I know our protest certainly had a dozen members of the Socialist Workers Party who are the kind of left wing dickheads who hate the government so much they will try to jump on any protest bandwagon they can find.  
You can't have that many people who all feel exactly the same way, some people are angry and they want to express that anger. In contrast to the stories of violence, after the police van was smashed up it was actually surrounded by a ring of teenage girls who refused to let anyone else deface it. 

Avatar image for dragonbloodthirsty
DragonBloodthirsty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

@Snail said:
" My opinion when it comes to these subjects can boil down to a rather short but nonetheless valid sentence, I believe:

Seriously, the guy in the last picture describes that one of those adolescent stereotypes that I simply cannot avoid to hate: poorly dressed, foolishly idealistic, most likely pseudo-intellectual, idiotically vandalizing government/private property believing that will make a difference? There he stands, all full of himself, making a show for everyone, fighting for his rights in the most immature way possible. Despicable. I respect Mracoon for the sit-in you mentioned: it demonstrates how unhappy the group of people that took part in the protest are, without hurting or destroying anything.  But honestly, we've seen the violent sort of riots happen over and over. Basically people who have not met life yet and have not met disillusionment and cynicism, shouting out with all the energy of their youth for some cause. The cause is valid, but what on earth are they doing to fix it? Drawing graffiti that read "REVoLuTIon"? Grow up. "

As an American, I'm gonna say that while a little smashing doesn't help anything, an awful lot of smashing makes all the difference.  We called it the "Boston Tea Party" and it was part of a bigger movement that had lasting impact.  I can't in good conscience encourage that kind of activity, but I'm not surprised it's happening.

Perhaps, if the youth are desperate enough to smash random vehicles, the problems are finally big enough that they need addressing?  It sounds like there was money promised for votes during the election , and you can't expect the electorate who voted for you to take it lying down if you ignore them.  The difference between "Free" and "Three times what it used to cost" is pretty big.  You should be glad he's not smashing faces.