Studio Ghibli will be restructuring.

• 70 results
Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Well, Grave of the Fireflies is kind of the best thing Ghibli's ever done and Miyazaki had nothing to do with it so...I think they will be fine without him. Not saying he is not incredibly talented, because he is an absolute master in certain ways, but he isn't the only great talent in the company. It's not like a Japanese company any way to just have one guy be the brains and not train many others in his ways and develop their own skills. Hopefully they can still produce great films.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

I was recently forced to watch "The Wind Rises" due to peer pressure (and an awfully dubbed version to boot) and I was bored to tears. If that movie had an actual point to make except "Make love and planes, not war", it flew right past me (pun intended). It's quite telling that most people in this thread lovingly mention old stuff, but nothing halfway recent.

So yeah, if the the current output of Ghibli is any indication, they are creatively out steam, but apparently the Japanese are still watching that stuff in droves.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gatehouse said:

Thanks to @fattony12000 for raising up those showings, I have a feeling a couple of trips to Cornerhouse is in order.

No worries!

I need to see Mononoke and Spirited Away up on the big screen at least once in my life.

It's definitely something else to see it in a theater. I know a manager through a friend of one of the local cinemas by where I live and I was able to bring a ripped blu ray copy of Mononoke to have it played in a theater all to ourselves.

Chocobodude3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 18

#55  Edited By Chocobodude3

I hate 2014 now

PimblyCharles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#56  Edited By PimblyCharles

Wow. This is tear dropping amazing. The duder that said the entirety of Japan would be weeping in the streets if Ghibli shut down is right. Ghibli will move on. They are not done. The studio will find a way moving forward in today's technology. They have to.

Loading Video...

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

I'm not going to say that I have some hardcore love or something for Studio Ghibli, but I admire their work ethic and dedication a ton. I've enjoyed every film they've made, but I don't have that special reverence that many others do. It really is (for me) more about the movie-making side of things, particularly their honesty and integrity. Getting someone as big as Disney to release their films the way they intended for them to be seen is not a small task, and I respect the HELL out of them for that.

It would be sad to see them go, as it's not only one of the last traditional animation studios out there, but also one of the last groups of genuine filmmakers that CARE about the ART of cinema. I hope they are just scaling back and trying to find a way to remain profitable and making movies.

mithical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By mithical

As someone who recently dove in and watched every Ghibli film, I really hope the studio stays open. I also want to add that I was happy so many people mentioned Whisper of the Heart. It was probably my favourite of the bunch but thought I was in a very small minority. I can't even really pinpoint why I like it so much, beyond the recurring use of 'Take Me Home, Country Road'. Something about it just completely charmed me and I guess I'm not alone in that.

chimpchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#59  Edited By chimpchamp

Kind of a non-story. When people say they like studio ghibli they mostly mean they like Hayao Miyazaki movies. The man is a genius who single handedly made the entire company what it is. We have a fantastic collection of movies made by him, I really don't mind what happens to the name of the company he made, because the company merely served as his vehicle to make his visions come true. Kind of like how Microsoft would like Windows to be seen... An enabler. And nobody cried when XP was retired.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

That article has little to no foundation for these rumors (which is all this is at this point).

There is no indication they are "closing down".

But that's ok, some people will still believe they are now closing. Maybe they'll go out and buy their movies again now just because they think they're closing and not necessarily because they actually like any of their recent films.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@fattony12000 said:

@gatehouse said:

Thanks to @fattony12000 for raising up those showings, I have a feeling a couple of trips to Cornerhouse is in order.

No worries!

I need to see Mononoke and Spirited Away up on the big screen at least once in my life.

It's definitely something else to see it in a theater. I know a manager through a friend of one of the local cinemas by where I live and I was able to bring a ripped blu ray copy of Mononoke to have it played in a theater all to ourselves.

Y'all very lucky!

Did you literally just bring in a disc or an mkv file on a USB stick or something? And is there just a computer running Windows 7 sat up there in the projection room?

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Wheres my blu ray of princess mononoke and spirited away consarn it

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#63  Edited By RonGalaxy

@ripelivejam said:

Disney has it and they don't give a fuck. But also: want to buy the soundtrack and 3d blu ray for Frozen? Frozen 2 in theaters November 2016.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ripelivejam said:

Disney has it and they don't give a fuck. But also: want to buy the soundtrack and 3d blu ray for Frozen? Frozen 2 in theaters November 2016.

Now we're talkin.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By TruthTellah

Kotaku is reporting that Studio Ghibli may be getting bought by the company Dwango, owners of things like Danganronpa, 999, and Nico Nico Douga. Dwango is also going through a merger with the company that owns From Software(Dark Souls).

If true, Studio Ghibli may have new life under the umbrella of a rather diverse company. Studio Ghibli has already been working with Dwango on a new show; so, they appear to appreciate what Ghibli has to offer. We'll see soon if this deal really goes through.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kotaku is reporting that Studio Ghibli may be getting bought by the company Dwango, owners of things like Danganronpa, 999, and Nico Nico Douga. Dwango is also going through a merger with the company that owns From Software(Dark Souls).

If true, Studio Ghibli may have new life under the umbrella of a rather diverse company. Studio Ghibli has already been working with Dwango on a new show; so, they appear to appreciate what Ghibli has to offer. We'll see soon if this deal really goes through.

Fuck it, let Souls Miyazaki head up a Ghibli movie.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By TruthTellah

@theht said:

@truthtellah said:

Fuck it, let Souls Miyazaki head up a Ghibli movie.

Woah. They would trade Hayao Miyazaki for Hidetaka Miyazaki.

They're not the same at all besides last name, but this could work. Studio Ghibli will always be led by "Miyazaki"!

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fattony12000: MKV on USB, I didn't personally see the setup but I'm assuming it's a Win7 setup

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fattony12000: MKV on USB, I didn't personally see the setup but I'm assuming it's a Win7 setup

It's both awesome and saddening to see how things have changed in projection tech over the years.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It ain't happening. Updated the opening post.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By TruthTellah

@aegon said:

@truthtellah said:

It ain't happening. Updated the opening post.

Ah, just saw that. Darn.

Well, they should consider doing that. ha. It wasn't a half bad plan.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@ripelivejam said:

Also, Porco Rosso, My Neighbors the Yamadas, The Cat Returns, and Pom Poko.

My recommendation is that you order it from the UK Amazon store and get a region free player or make a legal copy of it to your computer. Spirited Away comes out in the UK in November.