• 96 results
  • 1
  • 2
Avatar image for cornman89
#1 Edited by Cornman89 (1600 posts) -

Is there anything in films (or television, too, I suppose) that you just can't stand to watch? Like, you literally cannot be involved in this thing without borderline going into hysterics?
 
I know for me, it's a human undergoing any kind of biological transformation, extra points if it looks in any way painful for him. Maybe it's just because I saw The Fly too young. Poor Jeff Goldblum... I think that movie messed me up real good. Just looking at this picture will probably make my dreams uninhabitable for the next few nights.

 

 JESUS CHRIST WHAT THE FUCK
 JESUS CHRIST WHAT THE FUCK
Avatar image for epicsteve
#2 Posted by EpicSteve (6908 posts) -

Anytime that a character scraps a surface and it results in their finger nails coming off.

Avatar image for lemoncookie01
#3 Posted by Lemoncookie01 (1663 posts) -

People cutting themselves or stabbing of any sort.

Avatar image for jkz
#4 Posted by jkz (4131 posts) -

I usually am totally down with Horror movies, and am never one to fall for jump scares, but when films go full on japanese-style-dead-little-girl-that-appears-at-random-moments-to-eat-your-soul I just can't watch it. 
 
I have no reasons as to why this is true, it merely is.

Avatar image for hedfone
#5 Posted by hedfone (1747 posts) -

Antichrist

Avatar image for evilmuffin
#6 Posted by EvilMuffin (132 posts) -

Not into gore or slasher films. Don't like horror either. I don't like being afraid... I'm a wuss.

Avatar image for sirthirdfilms
#7 Posted by SirThirdFilms (208 posts) -
@hedfone said:
" Antichrist "
This, I read about it and then months later it was on IFC and I watched about 5 mins of it and psyched myself out
Avatar image for sodiumcyclops
#8 Posted by sodiumCyclops (2778 posts) -
@SirThirdFilms said:
" @hedfone said:
" Antichrist "
This, I read about it and then months later it was on IFC and I watched about 5 mins of it and psyched myself out "
Is it actually scary or just disturbing?
Avatar image for archscabby
#9 Edited by ArchScabby (5877 posts) -
@sodiumCyclops said:

" @SirThirdFilms said:

" @hedfone said:
" Antichrist "
This, I read about it and then months later it was on IFC and I watched about 5 mins of it and psyched myself out "
Is it actually scary or just disturbing? "
It's more just:  what?
Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
#10 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5777 posts) -
@sodiumCyclops said:
" @SirThirdFilms said:
" @hedfone said:
" Antichrist "
This, I read about it and then months later it was on IFC and I watched about 5 mins of it and psyched myself out "
Is it actually scary or just disturbing? "
Someone smashes the head of a dick with a hammer and gives it a bloody handjob. 
 
You tell me.
Avatar image for hedfone
#11 Posted by hedfone (1747 posts) -
@sodiumCyclops said:
" @SirThirdFilms said:
" @hedfone said:
" Antichrist "
This, I read about it and then months later it was on IFC and I watched about 5 mins of it and psyched myself out "
Is it actually scary or just disturbing? "
chick close up to the camera cuts her clit off
Avatar image for liquidprince
#12 Posted by LiquidPrince (16803 posts) -

Nothing really. I sometimes shake my head a really bad dialogue or attempts at being funny.

Avatar image for crusader8463
#13 Edited by crusader8463 (14759 posts) -

Nothing really, but some stuff makes me cringe. Specifically things where some one has to slowly cut out there eyeball or has it cut out- the end of one of the hostel movies has pretty bad one that involves a hot iron iirc. The fingernails thing or castration/cutting off of the penis can make me squirm in my seat if done in certain ways, but a lot of the time it just looks like it was done very poorly so it doesn't bother me much. And scenes where people must force themselves to slowly cut off a part of there body with something like a rusty hacksaw or a electric saw can do it.
 
Although to be honest the one thing that I can truly not look at is movies with demon goat men. I'm not talking about satyrs, but the traditional devil with a goat head thing has ALWAYS freaked me the fuck out. Ever since I was a kid just looking at a picture of it can make the hair all over my body stand on end and make me want to curl up in a ball and cry. Drag me to hell was one of the most terrifying movies I had ever seen because of that. Well until they ruined it by making the last half a comedy.
 
There is a scene right at the start of the exorcist where the camera is just panning past a wall and if you look closely you can see the outline of the devil goat head just faintly in the wall. When I watched that movie for the first time and saw that I nearly shit my pants it scared me so badly. It was faint enough that it looked like it might not have been a part of the movie, but like a burn in on my screen, and the second I saw it I thought that the devil was about to come through my screen and drag me to hell. I was scared to death for a good five to ten minutes after that. I was physically shacking it was that bad.
 
EDIT:Also, those little Grey alien men. I don't know why but they freak me the fuck out just as badly as the devil goat. Maybe it's because I watched too much X-Files as a kid, or that I was secretly abducted by them and it's my subconscious memory telling me something, but they terrify me. 

I have watched this video many times before, but every time I watch it it scares the shit out of me. I'm actually kind of shaking just thinking about it. It's that bad.


 

Avatar image for archscabby
#14 Posted by ArchScabby (5877 posts) -

Also, apparently you idiots don't know what spoilers are.

Avatar image for sodiumcyclops
#15 Posted by sodiumCyclops (2778 posts) -
@SethPhotopoulos said:
" @sodiumCyclops said:
" @SirThirdFilms said:
" @hedfone said:
" Antichrist "
This, I read about it and then months later it was on IFC and I watched about 5 mins of it and psyched myself out "
Is it actually scary or just disturbing? "
Someone smashes the head of a dick with a hammer and gives it a bloody handjob.  You tell me. "
Sounds like a theatrical version of The Spankwire video
Avatar image for mikeeegeee
#16 Edited by mikeeegeee (1636 posts) -

There were a few scenes in the movie Splice that I couldn't handle. If you've seen the movie, you probably know exactly what I'm talking about. Bruno was also practically unwatchable, which was a shame since my expectations were so high. I've never come so close to walking out of a movie...
 
Finally, the scene in Jackass: The Movie wherein Steve-O gives himself paper cuts between his fingers and toes was impossible for me to watch. Which is odd, since the rest of the movie I dealt with just fine. Fuckin' papercut scene.

Avatar image for fuzzybunny566
#17 Posted by fuzzybunny566 (476 posts) -

abuse/killing of dogs...sometimes in a movie you "just know" that they're going to show a dog being killed or already dead, and i close my eyes for a bit until i believe the scene is over.  i just can't deal with dogs being hurt...mostly because i love my dog more than anything.

Avatar image for hedfone
#18 Posted by hedfone (1747 posts) -
@mikeeegeee said:
" @sodiumCyclops said:
" @SirThirdFilms said:
" @hedfone said:
" Antichrist "
This, I read about it and then months later it was on IFC and I watched about 5 mins of it and psyched myself out "
Is it actually scary or just disturbing? "
Interested as well. There were a few scenes in the movie Splice that I couldn't handle. If you've seen the movie, you probably know exactly what I'm talking about. Bruno was also practically unwatchable, which was a shame since my expectations were so high. I've never come so close to walking out of a movie...
 
Finally, the scene in Jackass: The Movie wherein Steve-O gives himself paper cuts between his fingers and toes was impossible for me to watch. Which is odd, since the rest of the movie I dealt with just fine. Fuckin' papercut scene. "
whats wrong with bruno?
Avatar image for arab_prince
#19 Posted by arab_prince (2120 posts) -
The only thing I can't watch/watch people discuss, is anything with rape. I don't know any form of rape disturbs me to my core. for this reason, I never watch Law and Order SVU. Instead I was forced to criminal intent. Even though SVU seemed to be the best. Still...rape...ugh :( 
 
@crusader8463
said:
" Nothing really, but some stuff makes me cringe. Specifically things where some one has to slowly cut out there eyeball or has it cut out- the end of one of the hostel movies has pretty bad one that involves a hot iron iirc. The fingernails thing or castration/cutting off of the penis can make me squirm in my seat if done in certain ways, but a lot of the time it just looks like it was done very poorly so it doesn't bother me much. And scenes where people must force themselves to slowly cut off a part of there body with something like a rusty hacksaw or a electric saw can do it.   Although to be honest the one thing that I can truly not look at is movies with demon goat men. I'm not talking about satyrs, but the traditional devil with a goat head thing has ALWAYS freaked me the fuck out. Ever since I was a kid just looking at a picture of it can make the hair all over my body stand on end and make me want to curl up in a ball and cry. Drag me to hell was one of the most terrifying movies I had ever seen because of that. Well until they ruined it by making the last half a comedy.  There is a scene right at the start of the exorcist where the camera is just panning past a wall and if you look closely you can see the outline of the devil goat head just faintly in the wall. When I watched that movie for the first time and saw that I nearly shit my pants it scared me so badly. It was faint enough that it looked like it might not have been a part of the movie, but like a burn in on my screen, and the second I saw it I thought that the devil was about to come through my screen and drag me to hell. I was scared to death for a good five to ten minutes after that. I was physically shacking it was that bad. "
Are you talking about Baphomet? Link leads to images...so if you are freaked don't look lol.
Avatar image for arab_prince
#20 Posted by arab_prince (2120 posts) -
@hedfone said:
" @mikeeegeee said:
" @sodiumCyclops said:
" @SirThirdFilms said:
" @hedfone said:
" Antichrist "
This, I read about it and then months later it was on IFC and I watched about 5 mins of it and psyched myself out "
Is it actually scary or just disturbing? "
Interested as well. There were a few scenes in the movie Splice that I couldn't handle. If you've seen the movie, you probably know exactly what I'm talking about. Bruno was also practically unwatchable, which was a shame since my expectations were so high. I've never come so close to walking out of a movie...
 
Finally, the scene in Jackass: The Movie wherein Steve-O gives himself paper cuts between his fingers and toes was impossible for me to watch. Which is odd, since the rest of the movie I dealt with just fine. Fuckin' papercut scene. "
whats wrong with bruno? "
Too much penis for him? 
Avatar image for burns098356gx
#21 Posted by Burns098356GX (1368 posts) -

Remember that one scene in Saving Private Ryan near the end when that Nazi and American were fighting hand to hand and the Nazi gets the upper hand and stabs the other dude in the heart and its really slow and makes alot of noise and shit? Ya, I can't watch shit like that anymore.

Avatar image for hedfone
#22 Posted by hedfone (1747 posts) -
@arab_prince said:
" @hedfone said:
" @mikeeegeee said:
" @sodiumCyclops said:
" @SirThirdFilms said:
" @hedfone said:
" Antichrist "
This, I read about it and then months later it was on IFC and I watched about 5 mins of it and psyched myself out "
Is it actually scary or just disturbing? "
Interested as well. There were a few scenes in the movie Splice that I couldn't handle. If you've seen the movie, you probably know exactly what I'm talking about. Bruno was also practically unwatchable, which was a shame since my expectations were so high. I've never come so close to walking out of a movie...
 
Finally, the scene in Jackass: The Movie wherein Steve-O gives himself paper cuts between his fingers and toes was impossible for me to watch. Which is odd, since the rest of the movie I dealt with just fine. Fuckin' papercut scene. "
whats wrong with bruno? "
Too much penis for him?  "
he sees penis every day though
Avatar image for minipato
#23 Posted by MiniPato (2819 posts) -

Some old art film( I think) my film teacher showed. It started off with a guy cutting an eyeball with a razor across the pupil and showing all the eye juices spilling out. First time I had to look away from a movie.

Avatar image for ujio
#24 Posted by Ujio (637 posts) -

People vomiting. I literally have to look away from the screen not because it makes me sick or anything, but it's just disgusting and I don't need to see it to know what's going on. Christ, just hearing it is bad enough.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
#25 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6805 posts) -

Never had to look away from a film, but stuff I don't want to see is pointless torture on good people (Hostel, etc.)

Avatar image for bucketdeth
#26 Posted by Bucketdeth (8245 posts) -

Nothing.

Avatar image for jakob187
#27 Edited by jakob187 (22801 posts) -

Despite how much I joke around about Rapelay on this site (and in general), I am 100% serious when I say that rape is the one thing that I cannot watch at all in a film.  It's not just the act of rape.  It's the violation it presents, the helplessness involved.  It's thoroughly fucking disturbing to me.  It doesn't even have to involve a single piece of nudity.  Just the insinuation of rape is enough to bug me the fuck out.  I hate it. 
 
It is also one of the reasons why I still haven't seen The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo...and probably never will.  Then again, I feel like a hypocrite for saying that, as I've seen the original I Spit On Your Grave as well as the original Last House On The Left. 
 
But yeah.  That's far too much for me to watch. 
 
As for anything else, real life surgery.  I can watch all the gore on the planet, but you show someone actually getting cut open...nah, sorry.  It's not the blood or anything.  It's the idea of seeing a human unconscious as a working "machine", if you will.  It's weird, but it's just an unsettling thing for me. 
 
@MiniPato said:

" Some old art film( I think) my film teacher showed. It started off with a guy cutting an eyeball with a razor across the pupil and showing all the eye juices spilling out. First time I had to look away from a movie. "
That would be Un Chien Andalou, made by Luis Buenel and Salvador Dali.  Great surrealist film, and literally a classic...but yes, that part can be unsettling for some people.
Avatar image for d_breeze
#28 Posted by d_breeze (235 posts) -


I hate seeing the actual breaking of bones or limbs

I'm so arachnophobic that I can't even watch a spider on t.v, in a movie, or even looks at pictures without my heart rate increasing 
Also I can't take animals dying, people is fine, but not animals; it deeply upsets me

Avatar image for ajamafalous
#29 Posted by ajamafalous (13111 posts) -

Stabbings. As soon as someone gets stabbed I almost immediately have a jolt shoot through that part of my body and then I grab it with my hand.
 
Also surgery.
 
 
I don't like horror movies either. Hate jump scares. I've only played about 30 minutes of Dead Space because that was all I could take. As soon as an enemy would jump out I'd back up frantically shooting off like twelve bullets even though it died within the first four.

Avatar image for iam3green
#30 Posted by iam3green (14368 posts) -

the only time that i can't watch in a movie are long kissing/ sex scenes. i just find them to be awkward to watch with other people around. 
 
another thing that i can't watch are chick flicks. you know the girl loves the guy and the guy is moving or something. in the end the guy ends up staying there or something and they end up having sex and having a happy ending.

Avatar image for sumdeus
#31 Posted by SumDeus (1898 posts) -

I can neither watch nor listen the girl from Eraserhead with the cheeks...

Avatar image for crusader8463
#32 Posted by crusader8463 (14759 posts) -
@arab_prince:  Yup that be the one. I can handle looking at it fine if I know going in that I will see it, but when movies just kind of throw the image at me out of no where it creeps me out.
Avatar image for cornman89
#33 Posted by Cornman89 (1600 posts) -
@ajamafalous: Same here, I didn't beat Deap Space until 14 months after I bought it. Could only play it in 15 minute sessions; by that time I'd tensed my muscles for so long that I was physically exhausted.
 
I can take most horror movies without blinking, but something about horror games... I dunno, it's probably the interactive element, the fact that you yourself are driving the experience, that makes it so easy to forget you're not actually in any danger.
Avatar image for the_dude
#34 Posted by The_Dude (827 posts) -

I still have a really hard time watching the Scene in saving private ryan where the German soldier really slowly stabs the one guy. 

Avatar image for bruce
#35 Posted by Bruce (6238 posts) -
@Cornman89:  
 
I'm not a fan of sex in films. It rarely, if ever, serves a purpose.
Avatar image for bruce
#36 Posted by Bruce (6238 posts) -
@hedfone:  
 
I saw Antichrist, actually. It wasn't that bad, but I guess it was because so much of the violence was just absurd as all hell.
Avatar image for one_2nd
#37 Posted by one_2nd (2388 posts) -

I don't mind anything. If I'm watching by myself nothing bothers me. If I'm watching with other people, that's a different story..

Avatar image for jim_dandy
#38 Posted by jim_dandy (885 posts) -

Anything that I think is overtly "cheesy" or deliberately "hearstring-pully". That shit is terribad.

Avatar image for gruntsavage
#39 Posted by GruntSavage (25 posts) -

I can't stand most horror.  I get scared and grossed out really easily, so I stay far away from that stuff.  
 
Also, The Human Centipede

Avatar image for evhkwick
#40 Posted by EVHKwick (472 posts) -

I physically cannot watch anyone get their Achilles tendon cut. I can watch just about everything else, but that... No. Just no.

Avatar image for sparky_buzzsaw
#41 Posted by sparky_buzzsaw (7729 posts) -

I cuss out torture porn like Hostel all the time, but the truth is, I can't watch it.  It makes me a little sick.  
 
Also, as stupid as it sounds, I've watched The Stand a dozen times, but I still cringe every time Larry Underwood walks through the tunnel in New York or when Stu Redman has the dream where he's back in the hospital.  Goddamn, those creep me out.

Online
Avatar image for greggd
#42 Posted by GreggD (4595 posts) -

Uncomfortable comedic moments. Stuff that's supposed to be funny, but you get the chills because you feel embarrassed.

Avatar image for killerbears
#43 Posted by KillerBears (254 posts) -
@MiniPato said:

" Some old art film( I think) my film teacher showed. It started off with a guy cutting an eyeball with a razor across the pupil and showing all the eye juices spilling out. First time I had to look away from a movie. "

 
  
Sup. You can relive the horror at 1:09. No need to thank me!
Avatar image for falconer
#44 Posted by Falconer (1992 posts) -

This will probably sound crazy, but I couldn't take Piranha 3D. I didn't see the movie itself, but watched one of those extended look/trailer thingys. The sexy ladies were nice, don't get me wrong, but when shit went down... something about it made my tummy upset. It's so obviously fake, but it still got to me somehow. There's no way I would be able to watch that entire movie.

Avatar image for cramsy
#45 Posted by Cramsy (1249 posts) -

Yeah rape disgusts me to my core. Can't watch it, can't talk about it. 

Avatar image for driveuplife
#46 Posted by DriveupLife (1164 posts) -

I can't watch a scene in a movie that involves drugs or steroids via needle. I went to see American Gangster with my friends, left the theature during the scene where the guy shoots heroin, and passed out on the bathroom floor in the theature. Yeah I've got a major drug phobia.

Avatar image for bunkerbuster
#47 Posted by BunkerBuster (1054 posts) -

People getting their throats slit always made me want to walk away. Nothing else though, weird.

Avatar image for thephantomnaut
#48 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6358 posts) -
@MiniPato said:
" Some old art film( I think) my film teacher showed. It started off with a guy cutting an eyeball with a razor across the pupil and showing all the eye juices spilling out. First time I had to look away from a movie. "
Un chien andalou. Besides that fucking scene (it was obviously fake but the idea...), it was all right.
Avatar image for ausroller
#49 Posted by ausroller (18 posts) -
@ThePhantomnaut said:
" @MiniPato said:
" Some old art film( I think) my film teacher showed. It started off with a guy cutting an eyeball with a razor across the pupil and showing all the eye juices spilling out. First time I had to look away from a movie. "
Un chien andalou. Besides that fucking scene (it was obviously fake but the idea...), it was all right. "
That's one of the first things shown in my film studies class. Everyone hates it. 
 
This sounds really lame compared to the stuff everyone else has said, but I can't stand awkwardness in movies. I can handle comedic awkwardness to some extent (i.e UK The Office and Curb), but dramatic awkwardness just kills me. I literally can't watch, I put my head in my hands and ignore the scene. The only movie I can think of recently where this happened was Greenberg, with Ben Stiller. This makes me sound like a fairy but I just can't help it.
Avatar image for adh0c
#50 Posted by AdH0c (136 posts) -

Any violence towards pets. Hell I can't even read about it in the paper.