• 119 results
#101 Posted by XLR87T3 (29 posts) -

An amalgram of Medieval African fantasy. Complete with monster battles, funny accents, and crazy fast superhumans.

#102 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (6002 posts) -

I think a series based on assassin's creed has the potential to be something amazing. Think of a show that could jump between eras and tell self contained stories, all the while tieing together in the grand scheme of the fiction. I think Hbo could pull it off.

#103 Posted by Universalize (106 posts) -

i agree with Warhammer 40K, Assassin's Creed, Deus Ex, Hellblazer, Punisher, Tom Clancy stuff and pre Third Age Tolkien stuff

i would like to see some historical fiction/alternate history

James Clavell's Asian Saga series especially Shogun

David Gemmell's Troy and Macedon series, maybe some of his fantasy series as well

Conn Iggulden's Emperor and Conqueror series

Bernard Cornwell's Saxon series

maybe Michael Crichton's Jurassic Park novels darker the way they're suppose to be portrayed. Dinotopia would be cool too

#104 Posted by brokemonkey (14 posts) -

A very very very long time ago, I had an internship at a division of HBO, and there was a rumor going around the office that they had the option to Infinite Jest. I remember seeing a clipping from a trade paper about it (again, a very long time ago, and memory may be unkind), but that was the only proof I ever saw, and nothing ever came of it. That would be a spectacular thing, easy to fuck up but beautiful if not, and in the right hands, that would still require the HBO Pile of Money to Spend on Weird Shit that the bigger basic cable channels still don't quite have. (I just saw Under the Skin recently, and I would watch a Jonathan Glazer take.)

#105 Posted by Wired_Abyss (38 posts) -
@reisz said:

@wired_abyss said:

I'm crazy for even suggesting it, but a live action TV series of Berserk.

HBO is one of the few places that could get away with showing all that graphic violence and sex.

Hmmmm. Ten posts, enters a thread pitching a live action Berserk adaptation. . . Did I pass out last night and make a new account?

You read my fucking mind. Literally my first thought when I was re-watching some more Berserk recently. It could be perfect. The art and tone is down to earth (enough) to adapt to live action in a way that a bunch of other fantasy would find far more difficult. With a good team the only trouble would be finding the right fit for Guts.

Yeah, I've lurked on Giant Bomb far too long without posting on the forums. I aim to fix that.

#106 Posted by Wired_Abyss (38 posts) -
@seppli said:

@reisz said:

@wired_abyss said:

I'm crazy for even suggesting it, but a live action TV series of Berserk.

HBO is one of the few places that could get away with showing all that graphic violence and sex.

Hmmmm. Ten posts, enters a thread pitching a live action Berserk adaptation. . . Did I pass out last night and make a new account?

You read my fucking mind. Literally my first thought when I was re-watching some more Berserk recently. It could be perfect. The art and tone is down to earth (enough) to adapt to live action in a way that a bunch of other fantasy would find far more difficult. With a good team the only trouble would be finding the right fit for Guts.

Just need to get rid of Puck, that little tacky fucker.

But really, there isn't an actor alive that could pull off Guts. I mean, jesus. How do you cast Berserk?

Also - if it starts with Guts birth under the hangman's tree, similar to the manga, I'd shit myself. Too epic.

Hey, Puck grows on you, and he's kind of necessary at points when the story is so dark and depressing. And he's one of the few people that can make Guts smile, why would you take that away from him?

I think they'd have to use a relatively unknown actor to play Guts, because I don't know who could off the top of my head.

For some reason I pictured The Rock as Guts and now I want to stab myself.

#107 Posted by The_Dude_Abides (186 posts) -

The fourth season of Deadwood.

#108 Posted by dancinginfernal (479 posts) -

The fourth season of Deadwood.

Y'know the creator of it was trying to get a movie together with HBO to wrap up the major plot points of Deadwood, HBO shunned him apparently. However, that being said, that dude is still up for continuing the series as far as I know.

#109 Posted by Shortbreadtom (864 posts) -

@nightriff: I wouldn't say it's fucking garbage, but every side story is so hokey and poorly done. Everything except for Frank Underwood and his shenanigans in the White House is fucking garbage, is what I'm saying. Jesus Christ the cyberterrorist is so bad

As for an HBO series, something about a struggling blues singer in segregated America, and how he deals with suddenly being popular with a white crowd, would be something I (but I feel like no one else) would love to see.

Or a dark sci-fi series. I feel like there hasn't been a good sci-fi show since Firefly which is upsetting.

#110 Posted by Morningstar (2242 posts) -

Lobo.

#111 Edited by Fredchuckdave (6158 posts) -

Anything that doesn't have copious amounts of nudity of course; since that's the main thing HBO does.

#112 Posted by Butano (1790 posts) -

I think they'd do a fantastic job with the Fables license, but unfortunately that theme of "fairy tales in modern times" has already been eaten up by NBC's Grimm and ABC's Once Upon a Time :/

I also really like the idea of a show based around Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan series of books.

#113 Posted by OrwellHuxZam (134 posts) -

Brian K. Vaughan's Saga.

#114 Edited by Oddballs (155 posts) -

Consider Phlebas.

Edit: Or almost any other Culture novel.

#115 Posted by Yesiamaduck (1230 posts) -

I'd like a mini series of the novel Catch 22, think that'd translate well as a tragic HBO comedy.

#116 Posted by crithon (3456 posts) -

most of the time, I'm not digging HBO. I do believe the episodic format helps, but even still it feels immature of how it handles a lot of things. Even during the height of Sopranos success, I felt like "I'm not going to watch all of this."

#117 Posted by Elwoodan (868 posts) -

A show set in either Neuromancer or Snowcrash's future, dark dystopian cyberpunk doesn't really translate well into films because you need a whole lot of time to set up all the crazy technology and jargon.

#118 Posted by LiquidElite (91 posts) -

dresden files.... yeah i know there is a tv show already but come on, i could film a better version with a mobile phone.
failing that, the wheel of time or the dark tower.

basically any good fiction/fantasy books are the key.

#119 Posted by CrimsonAvenger (302 posts) -

The Punisher. HBO could do wonders with the character. Disagree about Aquaman though. HBO would wreck the character. I'd prefer an adaptation in the vein of Peter David's run from the 90's. He completely reinvented the character and made him King Arthur of the Sea. I don't want Game of Thrones with Aquaman though. That's just not what should be done with Aquaman. HBO on other hand would make Game of Thrones but underwater. GOT is just not my thing. Tons of pointless nudity and sex scenes.