#51 Posted by Giantstalker (1623 posts) -

Just wait until they invent some kind of robo-ear, and then claim it on Obamacare.

#52 Posted by musclerider (589 posts) -

Hey, get that checked out.

#53 Posted by AlexW00d (6234 posts) -

@MrKlorox said:

@AlexW00d said:

People don't know what a GP is. Wat?

You're shocked or annoyed at yet another thing USA does different from the UK. What?

But it's not even a vague thing, I wouldn't think one country would change the name. Eh whatever.

#54 Posted by Jimbo (9799 posts) -

Two guys in an argument; one of them is a highly qualified medical practitioner and the other is known to have made his ear bleed by trying to clean it with a match... who to side with, who to side with...

#55 Edited by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@Colourful_Hippie said:

@Alexandru said:

@ZeForgotten said:

And that kind of life usually ends in "mysterious" ways.

do elaborate

A shoot-out, suicide, or a trip to Epcot.

Bingo 
 
But, you are 100% correct in the title of the thread, dear OP. 
What you started was a stupid argument
#56 Edited by Aegon (5484 posts) -

@Giantstalker said:

Just wait until they invent some kind of robo-ear, and then claim it on Obamacare.

There's already a robo-ear. It's called a cochlear implant.

Also, don't people usually clean their ears with Q tips (cotton swabs)? And not with a match? And more often than when you start having ear problems? Like maybe, once a week?

#57 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
@AlexW00d said:

@MrKlorox said:

@AlexW00d said:

People don't know what a GP is. Wat?

You're shocked or annoyed at yet another thing USA does different from the UK. What?

But it's not even a vague thing, I wouldn't think one country would change the name. Eh whatever.

How is it not vague when nobody on the planet Earth uses the words "general practitioner?" Even you shorten it from six (seven if you pronounce the second e sound) to two syllables with "GP." Instead of making it vague like you do, we shorten it to "doctor." And when people say "what kind of doctor" we punch them in the throat, since we would have specified what kind of doctor if it was anything other than a gen-eral prac-tit-ion-ier.
#58 Posted by MildMolasses (3219 posts) -

@scalpel said:

You sound very stupid.

#59 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4337 posts) -

@MrKlorox said:

@AlexW00d said:

@MrKlorox said:

@AlexW00d said:

People don't know what a GP is. Wat?

You're shocked or annoyed at yet another thing USA does different from the UK. What?

But it's not even a vague thing, I wouldn't think one country would change the name. Eh whatever.

How is it not vague when nobody on the planet Earth uses the words "general practitioner?" Even you shorten it from six to two syllables with "GP." Instead of making it vague like you do, we shorten it to "doctor." And when people say "what kind of doctor" we punch them in the throat, since we would have specified what kind of doctor if it was anything other than a gen-eral prac-tit-ion-ier.

Yeah this, I know what a general practitioner is referring to but it took me a bit to figure out what the two letters stood for.

#60 Posted by MildMolasses (3219 posts) -

@MrKlorox said:

@AlexW00d said:

@MrKlorox said:

@AlexW00d said:

People don't know what a GP is. Wat?

You're shocked or annoyed at yet another thing USA does different from the UK. What?

But it's not even a vague thing, I wouldn't think one country would change the name. Eh whatever.

How is it not vague when nobody on the planet Earth uses the words "general practitioner?" Even you shorten it from six to two syllables with "GP." Instead of making it vague like you do, we shorten it to "doctor." And when people say "what kind of doctor" we punch them in the throat, since we would have specified what kind of doctor if it was anything other than a gen-eral prac-tit-ion-ier.

I'm in Canada and we use GP interchangeably with family doctor.

But really, everyone needs to calm down. We're getting sidetracked by a very minor terminology issue when we should be tearing down the self-esteem of the guy who sticks matches in his ear and argues against totally reasonable suggestions

#61 Posted by AlexW00d (6234 posts) -

@MildMolasses: That last bit made me lol.

#62 Posted by Ghostiet (5245 posts) -

This problem is as First World as it fucking gets.

#63 Posted by EVO (3890 posts) -

Wow, you're a fucking idiot.

#64 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
@Ghostiet said:

This problem is as First World as it fucking gets.

I'd say it's a second world problem since it relates to this person's health and sense of hearing, but not to his financial state. First world problems would be something superfluous like a scratched iPhone paintjob. Then again, even 'the' first world, USA, doesn't have universal healthcare yet...
 
So does that mean USA is second world instead? Or is Romania zero world?
#65 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4337 posts) -

@AlexW00d said:

@MildMolasses: That last bit made me lol.

#66 Posted by Xeiphyer (5602 posts) -

That asshole! Tell him to stop doing his job! How dare he want you to get checked out just to make sure everything is alright.

#67 Posted by pyromagnestir (4291 posts) -

Are you 5 years old or something?

Online
#68 Posted by MildMolasses (3219 posts) -

@MrKlorox said:

@Ghostiet said:

This problem is as First World as it fucking gets.

I'd say it's a second world problem since it relates to this person's health and sense of hearing, but not to his financial state. First world problems would be something superfluous like a scratched iPhone paintjob. Then again, even 'the' first world, USA, doesn't have universal healthcare yet... So does that mean USA is second world instead? Or is Romania zero world?

I think that the argument could be made that having access to a doctor that would then be wasted on arguing with him because you make bad decisions, could constitute a first world problem

#69 Edited by Alexandru (301 posts) -

This thread is going to fuck... I get people thinking I'm stupid about how I reacted with the family doctor, but half of this thread is made of people arguing over the GP term, and now arguing about wheter this is a 1st world or 2nd world problem...I'd say the arguing is a 1st world problem...

PS: I just made this thread to say my frustrations with the doctor. I really don't care what you say.

#70 Posted by 2HeadedNinja (1596 posts) -

So ... you are telling us you tried to clean your ear with a match ... hurt yourself to a point where there was blood ... now your hearing is bad on that ear ... your doctor suggested you get that looked after and you think he is an ass? ... Are you serious?

#71 Posted by Dark (378 posts) -

Now I haven't seen a Doctor in over 6 years, I am healthy, don't feel sick or in any pain so whats the point? I don't need a doctor to tell me I have a cold.

HOWEVER, Jamming a match stick your ear sounds like the single dumbest thing I have heard. If you went so far in it touched your ear drum you are lucky you still HAVE hearing. I lost part of my hearing due to ear aches as a child, they where so bad year after year that I actually have scarring on my ear drum from them.

Go see your damn doctor, ITS YOUR FUCKING HEARING DUDE. There are people in this world who would kill for their hearing back and you are too stubborn to at least get it check out?

#72 Posted by Alexandru (301 posts) -

@2HeadedNinja said:

So ... you are telling us you tried to clean your ear with a match ... hurt yourself to a point where there was blood ... now your hearing is bad on that ear ... your doctor suggested you get that looked after and you think he is an ass? ... Are you serious?

not an ass for his suggestion, but for insisting even if that happened 2 yrs ago.

#73 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
@Alexandru: FYI your first post is what doomed this thread to fuck. Are you actually complaining that some people are bullshitting about semantics instead of telling you you're amazingly stupid and a waste of healthcare? Sorry, I'll do that with this post since that is clearly the consensus.
#74 Posted by krazy_kyle (716 posts) -

If you're dumb enough to shove a match in your ear then you need your brains checked, never mind your hearing. Listen to your GP, they give you advice for a reason, idiot.

#75 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@Alexandru said:

@2HeadedNinja said:

So ... you are telling us you tried to clean your ear with a match ... hurt yourself to a point where there was blood ... now your hearing is bad on that ear ... your doctor suggested you get that looked after and you think he is an ass? ... Are you serious?

not an ass for his suggestion, but for insisting even if that happened 2 yrs ago.

When did you become smarter than a doctor? 
How many years did you study to realize that he wasn't trying to help you, he just wanted to be an ass because clearly he's the one being the dumb cunt in that situation. 
#76 Posted by Alexandru (301 posts) -

@ZeForgotten said:

, he just wanted to be an ass because clearly he's the one being the dumb cunt in that situation.

yeah

#77 Posted by YetiAntics (1489 posts) -

@Peanut said:

Why in the fuck would you try and clean your ear with a god damn match? You can get a bag of cotton swabs for like 50 fucking cents. Also, go get your ear checked out and don't be an asshole to people who want to help you.

This ...and watch your tone, mister!

#78 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4337 posts) -

@Alexandru said:

@ZeForgotten said:

, he just wanted to be an ass because clearly he's the one being the dumb cunt in that situation.

yeah

Flawless logic.

#79 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@Colourful_Hippie said:

@Alexandru said:

@ZeForgotten said:

, he just wanted to be an ass because clearly he's the one being the dumb cunt in that situation.

yeah

Flawless logic.

I think he might've poked the match so far into his brain that he thought I was actually agreeing with him and not being sarcastic. 
#80 Posted by Alexandru (301 posts) -

@ZeForgotten said:

@Colourful_Hippie said:

@Alexandru said:

@ZeForgotten said:

, he just wanted to be an ass because clearly he's the one being the dumb cunt in that situation.

yeah

Flawless logic.

I think he might've poked the match so far into his brain that he thought I was actually agreeing with him and not being sarcastic.

if you actually believe that, then you are an idiot

#81 Posted by KevinK (198 posts) -

@MrKlorox said:

@Ghostiet said:

This problem is as First World as it fucking gets.

I'd say it's a second world problem since it relates to this person's health and sense of hearing, but not to his financial state. First world problems would be something superfluous like a scratched iPhone paintjob. Then again, even 'the' first world, USA, doesn't have universal healthcare yet... So does that mean USA is second world instead? Or is Romania zero world?

I think it would be a first world problem.

Third World Problem: Can't find a doctor.

Second World Problem: Can't afford a doctor.

First World Problem: Went to the doctor, asshole bugged me when he (god forbid) tried to talk to me about my health.

#82 Posted by addictedtopinescent (3645 posts) -

Go to family doctor, be pissed he tells you to not stick matches in your ears = logic

#83 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@Alexandru said:

@ZeForgotten said:

@Colourful_Hippie said:

@Alexandru said:

@ZeForgotten said:

, he just wanted to be an ass because clearly he's the one being the dumb cunt in that situation.

yeah

Flawless logic.

I think he might've poked the match so far into his brain that he thought I was actually agreeing with him and not being sarcastic.

if you actually believe that, then you are an idiot

You're right, I'm an idiot. 
Compared to whatever it is you are I feel pretty great about it
#84 Posted by KevinK (198 posts) -

@Alexandru said:

@2HeadedNinja said:

So ... you are telling us you tried to clean your ear with a match ... hurt yourself to a point where there was blood ... now your hearing is bad on that ear ... your doctor suggested you get that looked after and you think he is an ass? ... Are you serious?

not an ass for his suggestion, but for insisting even if that happened 2 yrs ago.

"I broke my arm once. I didn't get it fixed. Two years later, the doctor was bugging me to get my mangled, horribly deformed arm fixed. What an ass."

#85 Posted by Alexandru (301 posts) -

@ZeForgotten said:

@Alexandru said:

@ZeForgotten said:

@Colourful_Hippie said:

@Alexandru said:

@ZeForgotten said:

, he just wanted to be an ass because clearly he's the one being the dumb cunt in that situation.

yeah

Flawless logic.

I think he might've poked the match so far into his brain that he thought I was actually agreeing with him and not being sarcastic.

if you actually believe that, then you are an idiot

You're right, I'm an idiot. Compared to whatever it is you are I feel pretty great about it

you're awfully happy for finding someone that you consider beneath you

#86 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5227 posts) -

@Alexandru said:

@2HeadedNinja said:

So ... you are telling us you tried to clean your ear with a match ... hurt yourself to a point where there was blood ... now your hearing is bad on that ear ... your doctor suggested you get that looked after and you think he is an ass? ... Are you serious?

not an ass for his suggestion, but for insisting even if that happened 2 yrs ago.

It seems like you don't know this but shit that happened years ago can have a serious effect on your body later in your life. You're the one acting stubborn, you're the one being rude, your're the one not thinking straight in this situation. Go to the damn doctor.

#87 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
@KevinK: That logic works. And man... I thought I just lived in a flyover region, not a freaking second world. I'm sure it would also blow the mind of the OP that he actually lives in a first world country if there wasn't a matchstick firmly lodged in his brain.
#88 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@Alexandru: Of course I'm happy.
I have my health, friends and family to hang with and have fun with. 
#89 Posted by Lukeweizer (2645 posts) -

You're right to not listen to him. After all, he's just a Doctor.

Online
#90 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6296 posts) -

You should've told him to go to Hell.

(My apologies if this joke has been taken already, I'm far too lazy to check all five pages of this)

#91 Edited by TrafalgarLaw (1112 posts) -

In the event of otitis media, you'll come running to him though. It's your choice and your right to refuse treatment...but I think he's on to something. I think it might be cholesteatoma...

#92 Posted by NyxFe (248 posts) -
@MildMolasses said: 

I'm in Canada and we use GP interchangeably with family doctor.

But really, everyone needs to calm down. We're getting sidetracked by a very minor terminology issue when we should be tearing down the self-esteem of the guy who sticks matches in his ear and argues against totally reasonable suggestions

This thread is really going to shit, but you're right: we need to get back to the main crux of this discussion which is how someone ended up STICKING A MATCH IN THEIR EAR, like what? How would this possibly happen?
Online
#93 Posted by kre8havoc (173 posts) -

Yeah man, swallow your pride and get it checked out.

#94 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@NyxFe said:
@MildMolasses said: 

I'm in Canada and we use GP interchangeably with family doctor.

But really, everyone needs to calm down. We're getting sidetracked by a very minor terminology issue when we should be tearing down the self-esteem of the guy who sticks matches in his ear and argues against totally reasonable suggestions

This thread is really going to shit, but you're right: we need to get back to the main crux of this discussion which is how someone ended up STICKING A MATCH IN THEIR EAR, like what? How would this possibly happen?
Too much MacGyver(no such thing) and no Q-tips?
#95 Posted by Breadfan (6589 posts) -
#96 Posted by Baillie (4077 posts) -

Holy shit this is becoming the best thread ever created.

#97 Posted by KevinK (198 posts) -
@Baillie said:

Holy shit this is becoming the best thread ever created.

In what universe? This thread and the OP's stupidity makes me want to shove matches in my eyes.
#98 Posted by Baillie (4077 posts) -

@KevinK said:

@Baillie said:

Holy shit this is becoming the best thread ever created.

In what universe? This thread and the OP's stupidity makes me want to shove matches in my eyes.

I think you've just proved my reasons!

#99 Posted by believer258 (11785 posts) -

@MildMolasses said:

@MrKlorox said:

@AlexW00d said:

@MrKlorox said:

@AlexW00d said:

People don't know what a GP is. Wat?

You're shocked or annoyed at yet another thing USA does different from the UK. What?

But it's not even a vague thing, I wouldn't think one country would change the name. Eh whatever.

How is it not vague when nobody on the planet Earth uses the words "general practitioner?" Even you shorten it from six to two syllables with "GP." Instead of making it vague like you do, we shorten it to "doctor." And when people say "what kind of doctor" we punch them in the throat, since we would have specified what kind of doctor if it was anything other than a gen-eral prac-tit-ion-ier.

I'm in Canada and we use GP interchangeably with family doctor.

But really, everyone needs to calm down. We're getting sidetracked by a very minor terminology issue when we should be tearing down the self-esteem of the guy who sticks matches in his ear and argues against totally reasonable suggestions

Uh... I don't think he has much self-esteem left to tear down.