• 100 results
Sprizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Sprizmo

Well it looks like this is going to be an underwhelming Summer at the theater. Hollywood apparently blew its load with Star Trek, and Raimi's latest entry in the horror comedy dram Drag Me To Hell (which isn't quite as universal.)

Michael Bay will have a hand in distracting 14 year olds with A.D.D for 3 hours while their moms go shopping; here's hoping the third installment of Transformers comes and goes so we don;t have to repeat our disdain on multiple threads 2 years from now.

The final bullet in the gun would be Michael Mann's "Public Enemies" where we get to see Johnny Depp as the infamous John Dillinger, being chased around by "less dynamic than we thought" Christian Bale.

Oh right... then there's Bruno...

Anyone else want to point a ray of light I may have missed?

DISCLAIMER: I am not insulting these films (accept Transformers). I have either greatly enjoyed those that have been released and am looking forward to those mentioned that are yet to be released. Now there should be no confusion.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By MeierTheRed

All i see is darkness sadly, you summed it up pretty good.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By mordukai
@Sprizmo: why is did you start the same topic twice?
cc23574

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By cc23574

I just saw Hangover, it was awesome!

Sprizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Sprizmo
@Mordukai: I have no clue how that happened, I think my browser hiccup'd. Is there a way to erase one of the threads?
Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Fallen189

Don't go then.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By EpicSteve

Hangover was fantastic, and if you can't enjoy Transformers (I'm assuming the sequel is on par with the original) you support genocide and tyranny, worst of all you don't like giant robots. If you don't believe in freedom, then don't go to the overpriced cinema. 

Sprizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Sprizmo
@EpicSteve: Sigh... no I don't support Transformers, despite a particular love for giant robots. The first movie was a ridiculous mess of douche bag characters, tragically inconsistent dialogue and an absolutely lame sense of humor. Even the bad isn't bad enough to be good. Michael Bay, go back to school and learn how to fashion a narrative!
SoftCoreDave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By SoftCoreDave

Maybe you should try a book or something this summer

Jerusahat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Jerusahat

The last time my friends and I saw a random film we knew nothing about, we saw Hard Candy (and then spent two weeks scrubbing our brains with wire wool).

So it was a relief when The Hangover turned out to be awesome.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By thatpinguino

up was an excellent movie

DarkGamerOO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#12  Edited By DarkGamerOO7

You dissed Public Enemies? C'mon really? That movie looks like awesomesauce. 

Sprizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Sprizmo
@bigdave184: What are talking about, I read all the time!!! Right now I'm reading Philip K Dick's classic "Flow My Tears The Policeman Said." Amazing.
Happy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Happy

I have high hopes for Where the Wild Things Are and 9, but I suppose that's Fall territory. Though 9 is still technically in Summer.

Sprizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Sprizmo
@Happy: Oh yeah man, that movie is going to be really good. Spike Jonze is awesome and the trailer is riveting!

Crap looks like the sound is out of sync on this trailer...

@DarkGamerOO7 said:
" You dissed Public Enemies? C'mon really? That movie looks like awesomesauce.  "
No way man I'm excited to see that.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TwoOneFive

Star Trek was good enough to hold me over for the summer. for me, summer is about being outside with friends, not inside watching a movie. 

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Kohe321

Bruno looks awesome. Can't say I'm stoked on any other movie this summer, though.

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Lashe

Inglourious Basterds anyone?

Inf225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By Inf225

UP was pretty excellent... and I bet Bruno will be good, Sacha Baron Coen knows what hes doing...

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By Black_Rose

I watched Up! and Hangover. Up was amazing, Hangover was a big pile of shit. I can't wait for Bruno, but everything else looks pretty lame.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By CL60
@cc23574 said:
" I just saw Hangover, it was awesome! "
Indeed it is.
cinemandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By cinemandrew
Up. Summer over.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By HandsomeDead

From what I can tell, Star Trek, Drag Me To Hell and Public Enemies will be the only Summer movies worth seeing. Up! isn't out here till October so i'm not counting that, but still, that's a shitty turnout. I really hope Public Enemies is some old school Michael Mann goodness but I just hate Johnny Depp so much and Bale isn't as good as expected so it all rests on the rest of the cast to hold it up.

Sprizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Sprizmo
@HandsomeDead: Hey its not even cool to hate Johnny Depp. Why you gotta go and do that for?
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By HandsomeDead
@Sprizmo said:
" @HandsomeDead: Hey its not even cool to hate Johnny Depp. Why you gotta go and do that for? "
Because he's shit.
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#26  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I saw Star Trek and Up. I really don't need to see anything else. Except Bruno.

Sprizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Sprizmo
@HandsomeDead said:
" @Sprizmo said:
" @HandsomeDead: Hey its not even cool to hate Johnny Depp. Why you gotta go and do that for? "
Because he's shit. "
But technically... he's not. Unless you've got incredibly diverse acting chops that we aren't aware of yet, you shouldn't be slinging mud at the Depp!!!
TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28  Edited By TheHBK

Well I am looking forward to Public enemies and Bruno, the girlfriend is looking forward to the next Harry Potter, so theres something for all.  My summer was made when Terminator came out though.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By HandsomeDead
@Sprizmo said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
" @Sprizmo said:
Because he's shit. "
But technically... he's not. Unless you've got incredibly diverse acting chops that we aren't aware of yet, you shouldn't be slinging mud at the Depp!!! "
So because I can't act, I can't criticise someone who does it professionally? I can't play an insturment but I know good music and bad music. I'm sure you can't develop a game so you can't say what's good or not either. Give me a real reason why I can't say he's shit.
Sprizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Sprizmo
@HandsomeDead said:
" @Sprizmo said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
" @Sprizmo said:
Because he's shit. "
But technically... he's not. Unless you've got incredibly diverse acting chops that we aren't aware of yet, you shouldn't be slinging mud at the Depp!!! "
So because I can't act, I can't criticise someone who does it professionally? I can't play an insturment but I know good music and bad music. I'm sure you can't develop a game so you can't say what's good or not either. Give me a real reason why I can't say he's shit. "
Well you can say he's shit, and you are certainly entitled to your opinion. But isn't that a bit harsh considering this guy nailed Hunter Thompson, channeled Kieth Richards, and intentionally takes strange roles to defy hollywood's original plan for him to be just another heartthrob following 21 Jumpstreet. I say the guy can act, and he's not a self absorbed douchebag.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By HandsomeDead
@Sprizmo said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
" @Sprizmo said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
" @Sprizmo said:
Because he's shit. "
So because I can't act, I can't criticise someone who does it professionally? I can't play an insturment but I know good music and bad music. I'm sure you can't develop a game so you can't say what's good or not either. Give me a real reason why I can't say he's shit. "
Well you can say he's shit, and you are certainly entitled to your opinion. But isn't that a bit harsh considering this guy nailed Hunter Thompson, channeled Kieth Richards, and intentionally takes strange roles to defy hollywood's original plan for him to be just another heartthrob following 21 Jumpstreet. I say the guy can act, and he's not a self absorbed douchebag. "
Intentionally strange roles is what makes him a self absorbed douchebag. He's too busy showing the world how kooky he is to actually take a film which isn't designed for the Hot Topic crowd or 14 year old fan girls. Besides Donnie Brasco and the upcoming Public Enemies, i'm thinking hard to come up with a film where he hasn't worn a stupid outfit, done a weird accent, been self conciously quirky or a combination of all the above. He's so one note, it's unbelievable, particularly when you do see Donnie Brasco and see he can actually do a performance that doesn't rely on a gimmick.
Sprizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Sprizmo
@Sprizmo said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
" @Sprizmo said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
" @Sprizmo said:
Because he's shit. "
Well you can say he's shit, and you are certainly entitled to your opinion. But isn't that a bit harsh considering this guy nailed Hunter Thompson, channeled Kieth Richards, and intentionally takes strange roles to defy hollywood's original plan for him to be just another heartthrob following 21 Jumpstreet. I say the guy can act, and he's not a self absorbed douchebag. "
I'm thinking you're the kind of guy that steers from bizarre and novel things. You like your no nonsense gangster flicks and what not. So this is a matter of taste, rather than a legitimate issue with the actor. The guy hates screaming fans and even moved to France so he could avoid being pestered by them, and doesn't do talk shows or suck up press. He appreciates many things I do, including the brilliant work of Hunter S. Thompson, and similar intelligent dissections of pop sociology. In no way is he the attention seeking celebrity you're attempting to paint him as.
End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By End_Boss
@HandsomeDead:
  • Blow
  • Chocolat
  • What's Eating Gilbert Grape
  • Benny & Joon
  • Slow Burn

In case you needed a couple of examples of stellar Depp work "without a gimmick."
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By HandsomeDead
@Sprizmo said:
" @Sprizmo said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
" @Sprizmo said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
" @Sprizmo said:
Because he's shit. "
I'm thinking you're the kind of guy that steers from bizarre and novel things. You like your no nonsense gangster flicks and what not. So this is a matter of taste, rather than a legitimate issue with the actor. The guy hates screaming fans and even moved to France so he could avoid being pestered by them, and doesn't do talk shows or suck up press. He appreciates many things I do, including the brilliant work of Hunter S. Thompson, and similar intelligent dissections of pop sociology. In no way is he the attention seeking celebrity you're attempting to paint him as. "
So all those shoots he's done for GQ etc were just because he feels like it? And those appearances on Entertainment Tonight, Film 199X/200X, The Tonight Show etc don't count? I know he does less than most, but he's hardly Bill Murray. I don't like gangster flicks especially but I feel that for a film to work, it needs story and character rather than watching Johnny Depp do his Johnny Depp thing for a few hours. He totally comes across as that guy from high school who was an individual and an artist and that's why no one understands him and if he'd balance that with some good films, he'd be OK.

@End_Boss said:
" @HandsomeDead:
  • Blow
  • Chocolat
  • What's Eating Gilbert Grape
  • Benny & Joon
  • Slow Burn
In case you needed a couple of examples of stellar Depp work "without a gimmick." "
Blow and Chocolat were terrible and even then his performances in Benny & Joon and What's Eating Gilbert Grape are just him being a weirdo. Only younger and without Tim Burton facepaint.
Sprizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Sprizmo
@HandsomeDead: Ok dude, I've seen your picture in your bio there and I can tell you're doing the whole "Pretty boy Emo band lead singer thing" that gets all the chicks. As if that hasn't been emulated a half trillion times. So much for originality.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By HandsomeDead
@Sprizmo said:
" @HandsomeDead: Ok dude, I've seen your picture in your bio there and I can tell you're doing the whole "Pretty boy Emo band lead singer thing" that gets all the chicks. As if that hasn't been emulated a half trillion times. So much for originality. "
I don't even know what this has to do with Johnny Depp.
Sprizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Sprizmo

" @Sprizmo said:
" @HandsomeDead: Ok dude, I've seen your picture in your bio there and I can tell you're doing the whole "Pretty boy Emo band lead singer thing" that gets all the chicks. As if that hasn't been emulated a half trillion times. So much for originality. "
I don't even know what this has to do with Johnny Depp. "

@HandsomeDead: We were talking about gimmicks right?
Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Transformers was awesome, and I bet the second will be also, I can't wait to see it.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By HandsomeDead
@Sprizmo said:
"
" @Sprizmo said:

@HandsomeDead: We were talking about gimmicks right? "
No. We were talking about Johnny Depp.
Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#40  Edited By Red

UP. Amazing.

Sprizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Sprizmo
@HandsomeDead said:
" @Sprizmo said:
"
" @Sprizmo said:

No. We were talking about Johnny Depp. "
Oh, just Johnny Depp's gimmicks. Cuz hes an actor, not a fancy musician. (I should probably mention I play piano, guitar, bass, drums, and steel drums, AND electronic music production... and get this... I have zero tattoos! Now thats different.)
darkspirit138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By darkspirit138
@HandsomeDead said:
" @Sprizmo said:
Because he's shit. "
Im gonna hunt you down and kick your ass.
Pantalooney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Pantalooney

Go see The Hangover, i was shocked how good it was, my favourite summer movie yet, i prefered it to Star Trek and Drag me to Hell.

darkspirit138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By darkspirit138
@Sprizmo said:
Dudes called Zac Efron; hes the dude whos boyfriend of Vanessa Hudgens because of publicity (see the awfulness that is HSM for more details).

Think its a bit hypocritical.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By HandsomeDead
@Sprizmo said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
" @Sprizmo said:
"
" @Sprizmo said:

No. We were talking about Johnny Depp. "
Oh, just Johnny Depp's gimmicks. Cuz hes an actor, not a fancy musician. (I should probably mention I play piano, guitar, bass, drums, and steel drums, AND electronic music production... and get this... I have zero tattoos! Now thats different.) "
Why would I listen to a band based on how they look? Seeing as two of my favourites ever are AFI and Bruce Springsteen, you're aiming in the wrong direction if you think I only go for bands with a certain look. I couldn't care less what you do play but you seem to pride youself on being different so, good for you.

@darkspirit138 said:
" @Sprizmo said:
Dudes called Zac Efron; hes the dude whos boyfriend of Vanessa Hudgens because of publicity (see the awfulness that is HSM for more details).Think its a bit hypocritical. "
Efron's been in 3 feature films, Johnny Depp's been going for 20 years at least so i'm not getting where there's a comparison.
Sprizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Sprizmo
@HandsomeDead: Oh that's not you in the picture there? Who the fuck is Zak Efron? Well I'll eat my foot on that one I guess.

Alright so you don't like Johnny Depp (or Tim Burton) apparently. To each their own I guess.
TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By TheKidNixon

You also forgot the awesome looking District 9, coming August 14th. Late summer, yes, but I'd say it counts.

dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#48  Edited By dsplayer1010

Up was amazing

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By OmegaPirate
@TheKidNixon said:
" You also forgot the awesome looking District 9, coming August 14th. Late summer, yes, but I'd say it counts. "
That related in any way to district 13? =o
Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Inglorious Basterds?