Super 8..How did this film get good reviews again?

• 73 results
BubbleBobble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BubbleBobble

Super 8, this movie is horrible, and not Uwe Boll horrible, but more like Jurrasic Park 3 horrible. 

It was trying to be E.T, but failed miserably. It was even the same story in many aspects. It was about an Alien trying to get back to its ship, much like District 9 & E.T, but it takes the worst of both movies. The shaky cam from District 9 from the terrible performances by some of the kids, with the exception of one or two. 

There was no middle, or end with Super 8. The setup seemed promising enough, & Act 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 were all lazy. They took a minor character, like the kid obsessed with bombs, & he suddenly becomes a main character & the military was not interesting at all. They made the same mistake with Thor, the military is NEVER interesting, unless you're making a war movie. 

Lets go on to the train crash scene. Man this is a visually exhausting, deafining, & useless scene. It's amazing, because up to that point, the film was interesting, with the whole kids & film making. But wow, that Train just forshadowed the rest of the film. The girl's father, wow. You didn't feel any connection with the main kid's father either. 

1/10, bottom line, it's bad.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By imsh_pl

People who reviewed it thought it deserved good scores.

/thread

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By FreakAche

I don't know, I liked it. The ending was a little weak, but it was a good movie overall. I went into it expecting more of an even split between Abrams and Spielberg sensibilities, but it ended up being more of just a Spielberg film, but with lens flares, which isn't really a bad thing.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By McGhee

All of the kids in this movie were really great. Even Matt Rorie, who hates child actors, thought they all did really well. And shaky cam? What shaky cam?

BubbleBobble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BubbleBobble
@McGhee_the_Insomniac said:

All of the kids in this movie were really great. Even Matt Rorie, who hates child actors, thought they all did really well. And shaky cam? What shaky cam?

Inside the military transport, it was so shaky, I felt like I was going to throw up. When the monster attacked the vehicle & the military dudes were getting killed with the kids in the back.... it was just blah.
veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By veektarius

How is Jurassic Park 3 a 1/10 if it's not Uwe Boll bad?  Don't you need more room on the bottom of your scale if you're saying it wasn't the worst movie ever?

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Akrid

Whatchu talkin' bout? Fuckin' loved Super 8. 

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By McGhee

@BubbleBobble said:

@McGhee_the_Insomniac said:

Inside the military transport, it was so shaky, I felt like I was going to throw up. When the monster attacked the vehicle & the military dudes were getting killed with the kids in the back.... it was just blah.

You mean when the monster was shaking the kids inside the bus it was shaky? Any movie will make the camera shake during a scene like that, but it was not a "shaky cam" movie like Cloverfield.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By laserbolts

Jurassic park 3 was pretty damn bad. I can't see it being as bad as that. Oh and I think opinions can differ from yours. Wayy too many threads with people disagreeing with reviews and scores given to things.

BubbleBobble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BubbleBobble
@Veektarius said:

How is Jurassic Park 3 a 1/10 if it's not Uwe Boll bad?  Don't you need more room on the bottom of your scale if you're saying it wasn't the worst movie ever?

Atleast Uwe Boll's movies are so bad they're decent. Super 8 was trying to be the next E.T or whatever, & that's worse than purposley making a bad film for cheap laughs. 

I laughed during much of Super 8 and I don't think the director wanted you to. 
sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By sirdesmond

To answer your original question "How did this film get good reviews again?" I would have to say the following:

People saw the film, enjoyed it, and then wrote a good review of it. Pretty simple stuff, overall.

Also if you think District 9 was about an alien trying to get back to its ship (and nothing or little else), than I would say you missed most of the point of that film.

BubbleBobble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BubbleBobble

I guess I'm the only who thought the Pothead in Super 8 wasn't funny. 

He wasn't funny

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By benpack

I quite enjoyed Super 8. Easily in my top 3 of the year.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By CL60
No Caption Provided
BubbleBobble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BubbleBobble
@GlenTennis said:

Well compared to crap like Green Lantern, Transformers 3, & Mr. Popper's Penguins, I guess I can't argue.
subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By subject2change

It was not that bad of a movie, I actually enjoyed it especially since the trailer gave little to nothing away.

@GlenTennis said:

I'd agree with this; so far Super 8, Win Win and 13 Assassin's is my top 3 of the year.
sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By sirdesmond

@BubbleBobble said:

@GlenTennis said:

Well compared to crap like Green Lantern, Transformers 3, & Mr. Popper's Penguins, I guess I can't argue.

I'm a bit confused on your scale. If you can see how a movie like Super 8, which you rated a 1 out of 10 could be in the top 3 best films of the year where does everything else like, let's say, Green Lantern and Transformers 3, since you used those as examples, rank? 0 out of 10?

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By donchipotle

Super 8 was good because it was both an homage to classic Spielberg movies like Close Encounters while also a loving embrace of the art of movie making. It was essentially J.J. Abrams' love song to early sci fi movies. The fact that it was well made and as good as those classic films goes without saying. There were a lot of visual elements that added to the story as well. It was just all around a well made movie.

BubbleBobble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BubbleBobble
@sirdesmond said:

@BubbleBobble said:

@GlenTennis said:

Well compared to crap like Green Lantern, Transformers 3, & Mr. Popper's Penguins, I guess I can't argue.

I'm a bit confused on your scale. If you can see how a movie like Super 8, which you rated a 1 out of 10 could be in the top 3 best films of the year where does everything else like, let's say, Green Lantern and Transformers 3, since you used those as examples, rank? 0 out of 10?

oh definatley, I would give Green Lantern negative score if I could
SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SeanFoster

It was alright. Felt overrated, I was expecting more based upon the reviews.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By iamjohn

It got good reviews by being really good movie. It had problems like its pretty overt use of tropes, but it generally more than made up for it with really believable and interesting characters, great dialogue, and some really tense action. No, this year hasn't been that great for films (Rango and Hobo With a Shotgun notwithstanding), but you are either being contrarian or a curmudgeon if you're saying this movie was horrible.

Considering your "Late 90s was the Zenith of Gaming" thread, I'm going with curmudgeon.

Avatar image for origina1penguin
Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Origina1Penguin

1 out of 10, really? You're either purposely trying to be controversial about this, or I have to ignore your opinions from now on.

BubbleBobble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BubbleBobble
@Origina1Penguin said:

1 out of 10, really? You're either purposely trying to be controversial about this, or I have to ignore your opinions from now on.

It gets 1 for the zombie tribute at the end. I would've given it a 0 otherwise, so be grateful.
dr_pineapple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By dr_pineapple

I liked JP3   :'(

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

I love when people have clearly minority-leaning opinions, but profess them to be the truth.

BubbleBobble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BubbleBobble
@Rolyatkcinmai said:

I love when people have clearly minority-leaning opinions, but profess them to be the truth.

I'm just trying to save you money, doing you guys a favor.
Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By Brendan

Threads like these would be a lot more productive if the OP didn't bring other reviews into it. Personal opinion is fine, but as soon as you start questioning other reviews then you just invite the wall of obvious comments.

Chipmunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#29  Edited By Chipmunk

I have yet to see Super 8 so shall pass judgement when I eventually get round to it. But I shall mirror what some others have said here in that... you disagree with someones opinion. Which in turn will inevitably mean that someone is gonnna agree/disagree with your opinion and the cycle continues. Theres always gonna be people who love/hate (or anything in between) certain films regardless of what the general critic consensus is. Goes for anything.

...and I haven't seen the film but it can't be a 1/10 film surely...it has to have some merit.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

@BubbleBobble said:

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

Literally everyone else I've heard from has loved the movie, so I think I'll still go see it.

BubbleBobble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BubbleBobble
@Chipmunk said:

I have yet to see Super 8 so shall pass judgement when I eventually get round to it. But I shall mirror what some others have said here in that... you disagree with someones opinion. Which in turn will inevitably mean that someone is gonnna agree/disagree with your opinion and the cycle continues. Theres always gonna be people who love/hate (or anything in between) certain films regardless of what the general critic consensus is. Goes for anything.

...and I haven't seen the film but it can't be a 1/10 film surely...it has to have some merit.

Let me tell you something, Super 8 has no merit. $15 down the drain if you put down money to see this. 

The only part worth watching is the credits, and I'm being literal. You'll see why if you can manage to sit through it.
laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By laserbolts
@BubbleBobble
@Rolyatkcinmai said:

You seriously think that your post is going to sway someone from checking this movie out? C'mon man you can't seriously think that. If anything I now want to check this out to see how ridiculous the score and points you made for giving it the score are.
TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#33  Edited By TheHBK

Super 8 was pretty damn good.  I hated the fat kid, but I think I was supposed to.  A movie that can make you hate a character is doing a good job.  And you like the other kid and the girl.  Even the dads at the end.  It was touching and pretty awesome.  I like how it was about character and the story of the kids and this alien shit was just the backdrop, it worked really well.

BubbleBobble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By BubbleBobble
@laserbolts said:

@BubbleBobble
@Rolyatkcinmai said:

You seriously think that your post is going to sway someone from checking this movie out?  C'mon man you can't seriously think that.  If anything I now want to check this out to see how ridiculous the score and points you made for giving it the score are.

Super 8 is a movie where there is no sum of it's parts. or a whole. that's it, nothing more for me to say here.
v

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35  Edited By v

I didn't hate the movie, I just think that after seeing both this and Cloverfield that I liked it better when JJ Abrams did Lost. This being said, it was far from a terrible movie (yesterday I watched Leperchaun Back 2 Tha Hood on BET (which is oddly the 6th movie in the franchise), and THAT is a terrible movie). As far as a sci-fi esque movie that you could take tweens or teeangers to because it is PG-13, it is pretty good. This being said, if you didn't like the movie, who am I to judge

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i heard it was bad but it got decent review scores so i might check it out.  im dissapointed by this summer's movie releases... 

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Gabriel

People who enjoyed the Goones like Super 8, or as I like to call them bad people.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Gabriel

Not that Super 8 was terrible like Green Latern but I was rolling my eyes from the very beginning when that mom dies in the factory.

CrimsonNoir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#39  Edited By CrimsonNoir

i thought the kids did a great job in the movie and i dont understand what problem you have with the kid who likes fireworks. he may not be as important as the main kid and the girl, but he was established character in the film. i also thought the train wreck scene was incredible and intense. what did you expect from a train disaster, something calm and relaxing?

marvin_martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By marvin_martian

I guess this is why you aren't a reviewer.  Apparently you're bad at it.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#41  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Haven't seen it, but yeah, Jurassic Park 3 horrible? That sounds pretty horrible.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Gabriel

Hell Transformers 3 was somehow less eye rolling inducing with their tropes than Super 8.

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Hot_Karl
Super 8 was Super Gr8! 

And H8rs gonna H8.
TorMasturba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By TorMasturba

@sirdesmond said:

To answer your original question "How did this film get good reviews again?" I would have to say the following:

People saw the film, enjoyed it, and then wrote a good review of it. Pretty simple stuff, overall.

Also if you think District 9 was about an alien trying to get back to its ship (and nothing or little else), than I would say you missed most of the point of that film.

Yeah I know right, He didn't even notice that E.T. was a peadophile that hid in teddy bears to get the kids.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By iam3green

i shouldn't be posting this since i never saw the movie, but it didn't look good.

DopeToast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By DopeToast

I thought it was great, and the child actors were my favorite part. I love the way they talk in the movie and the way they are constantly insulting each other becasue it reminds me of how my friends and I would always talk and still do. The dialogue between the kids made that movie for me. And I liked the alien story as well. Sort of the same stuff we've seen before, but I thought it was done really well.

dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By dillonwerner

It got good reviews because it was a good movie.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#48  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

I loved Super 8. Probably the best movie I've seen so far this year. It wasn't really that original, but it wasn't exactly trying to be, and it was so well made that I didn't really care.

CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By CastroCasper

This should be on Screened.

jmfinamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By jmfinamore

My biggest problem with the movie was the  SPOILER WARNING: Click here to reveal hidden content. 

But I still thought it was good. I didn't love it or anything, but I thought it was a great summer time movie.