Tales of Former Game Collector

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

I was once a video game collector and I use the ‘once’ in the literal sense despite my backlog indicating otherwise (as a side note another game was added - Sonic the Hedgehog - on Android but who wouldn't but that for 10p?).

I like to think that the moment you commit to video games and go searching for new types of experiences and games to play that you often fall into the trap of collecting video games. Not having anywhere to trade games (yes even new ones) also helps contribute to the collecting mentality. Those days are far behind me though (despite my collection kept games also indicating otherwise) as I’ve hacked away at the physical media in my life getting rid and selling off a great portion of what I once owned. Have I regretted getting rid of any particular games? Well yes but once you realise that if I must have a copy of game x that its pretty easy to obtain another copy of it. Granted I’ve never owned any game of stupid value before but hey that’s what digital distribution and emulators are for.

So for all you collectors wanting to get rid of the physical media from your life here’s a selection of tips and methods that I’ve employed in pairing down a sizeable physical collection of goods.

• The trick here is to trust in the world of digital media and know that should that bubble burst on the model as a whole that someone out there in the depths of the internet who is smarter than I with a bit too much time on their hands and a grudge against whoever wronged them by taking their entertainment away will figure it out. If they don’t then they’ll probably offer a better alternative that someone gives you access to everything ever on Steam so there’s that benefit too.
  • Your physical entertainment should make you happy every time you look at it - at this point they’re display pieces rather than entertainment. Looking at the small shelf of what you’ve hand selected to own and put on display for the world to see shouldn’t contain any item your unable to justify owning. As an example using my own life there’s that copy of Hackers: Heroes of the Computer Revolution or my collection of Nintendo developed games because of the great impact both have had on my life.
  • Strive for the highest quality possible - remastered editions are your friend. You don’t need to own all three of those PS2 games and the HD remastering disc if your only going to play the clearly better version PS3 remastered equivalent. Strife to own the best version of your favourite content and settle for no less than the best. If the HD remastering messes up the look or feel then screw that edition but in short if your dead set on taking up value physical world space then you might as well own the best version possible for you.
  • Enjoy the freedom of the empty space.

• Think about the hassle of moving a collection. Consider the possibility of it all getting damaged or wrecked. Don’t be tied down due to your possessions as I’d argue the moment they start to influence your life in anyway to have at least a small think about your current position and stance on them.

That’s about it for this blog post on tips for reducing a game collection. In short - trust in digital media and only own what your capable of really justifying why. If your a collector who has no interest in selling anything off then that’s fine too, it was just time for me to get out of the collecting scene and truth be told I’m glad that I did.

TravisRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I just collect childhood stuff. Snes, ps1, n64. I was heavy on Xbox 360 but I wanna get rid of that stuff. I just know when I sell my 360 stuff I'm gonna just get 100 bucks or something and be bummed out. I don't even want the games but just knowing I'm gonna get dick back makes me want to hold onto them

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@travisrex: If you group certain games in the same series together and sell them as a bundle I've found that you can often get above their average rate - it isn't much but its better than having a pile of games I'll never play for me anyway.

TravisRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 43

Focusing on a certain brand and/or franchise has helped me a lot. Not only has it made it more managable but it also makes it seem more special. I wanted to get every Sega console, so I did. I may not own every version of them like for example I own a Model 2 Sega CD only, but I do have Model 1 and 2 of the Genesis. One day I might own an expensive as hell Model 1 Sega CD, CDX, Model 3 Genesis or hell even a Nomad. I could run out and buy a NES or a SNES but then I would just own random stuff. Its better to have a small but complete collection of something rather than to just try to get everything. I have beem also on a quest for every Sonic game as well, that has been fun so far until you get to the Mario & Sonic games.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 43

@freezyfrog: I have only played a bit of it like maybe an hour of it. So far it actually is good. The story starts out with something real basic but totally new for a Sonic game. The combat system takes a few ideas from the Mario & Luigi games where you react to what the enemy does. I say go for it. I'm actually going on a trip and I think I'm gonna pick that up again.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Overall, I've been really into curating my collection lately. I don't need to hold onto that copy of Castlevania Lords of Shadow or Enchanted Arms, because I mean who does, so I've been trying to distill my collection down into the seminal classics for legacy systems. Likewise, I don't need to hold onto each individual Prince of Persia game if I have the HD collection. That helps too.

TooSweet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a very large collection but after seeing how much I don't play and the amount of clutter I do have in general. I've slowed down. Picking up titles I really want. Its a relief on my wallet.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I envy people who collect regular-ass cartridges/discs, as they're pretty space efficient. My thing is big-box PC games... not even a particular series or genre. I just like the way PC games were packaged in the 90s. Many of them are rare/expensive as well, and I'm a broke-ass apartment dweller.

The things we do for nostalgia...

And that's not even counting the fact that I collect Nightmare on Elm Street stuff as well. Thankfully both collections are still very small and manageable, but it's only a matter of time and continued poor monetary decisions.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

Coming from someone who has an entire room in my house filled with shelves of video games I still enjoy collecting physical games quite a lot. I have finally decided to sell off all of my doubles at this point, which up till now I was holding on to.