• 112 results
#1 Posted by EpicSteve (6499 posts) -

The U.S. ranks 34th in the world for Internet speeds.

I'm writing an editorial for a local paper about this. I was wanting to get some input from everyone.

What's your Internet speed? Where do you live (just state/country)? And what do you pay monthly for Internet?

#2 Posted by Zelyre (1275 posts) -

I pay for 80mbit from Comcast in IL. Costs me ~$75 for just Internet.

I don't think I've ever seen a download faster than 4MB. Comcast must have special network overhead.

On a grumpy, semi-unrelated note. Before I upgraded to the most expensive tier offered in my area, I was on a mid-tier package. 30 or 40mbit Speed Plus or some junk. That, and basic cable (Just local channels) cost me $80 a month. Between 5pm and 11pm, Youtube at 480 was impossible.

#3 Posted by Shikon (179 posts) -

I had a 60 Mbit connection ( upgrades to 90 Mbit next month for free) I payed 50 euros for a month.
I switched literally today to a 20 Mbit connection ( 30 advertised but I have old phone lines) for 20 euro a month.

Living in the Netherlands is not bad if you like internet =D

#4 Edited by CaLe (4050 posts) -

150 Mb/s ↓ 15Mb/s ↑ - UK - $50/mth (unlimited)

#5 Edited by Christoffer (1917 posts) -

I just checked my current speed. 38.60 mbit down and 9.74 mbit up and I pay about $50 a month. i just got fiber installed in my apartment so I will soon change to that, faster and cheaper. I live in sweden.

#6 Edited by Zlimness (569 posts) -

I live in Sweden, Gotland.

I have 100/10 Mbit

I pay 200 SEK a month for fiber. No cap limit. I also have phone and TV included in that cost.

edit: 200 SEK is roughly $30. It's hard to compare prices like that, but 200 SEK is pretty cheap here in Sweden.

#7 Edited by ShaggE (6698 posts) -

Not sure on price, as it's covered by my landlord.

#8 Edited by Petturi (56 posts) -

I have a 100Mbit / 10Mbit fiber connection, no cap limit and I pay ~21 euros for a month. I live in Finland. Download from Steam peaked at 9.6 MB/s.

#9 Edited by MooseyMcMan (11379 posts) -

NOT FAST ENOUGH.

I don't remember what the price is off hand, but I know we have one of the lesser speeds because cheapness.

#10 Posted by Aetheldod (3709 posts) -

Terribad ... only a miserable 1 mb on a very good day ... granted it is by antena because my provider does not have cable in my area. I pay around $250 pesos monthly , it includes the phone line , which would be around 28 bucks or 30. Guadalajara Jalisco Mexico

#11 Edited by RonGalaxy (3275 posts) -

Live in NY. Download is 17 Mbit/s upload is 7 Mbit/s. Have the standard internet/phone/TV package with optimum (which is owned by cable vision). Not sure what the price breakdown is.

Also, my provider offers a service that, supposedly, triples your internet speed for 5 dollars a month. I'm satisfied with what I have though. Might go for something like that if playstation now becomes an actual thing

#12 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5979 posts) -

6mb download - 1mb upload (U.S. Ga) 150Gb data cap and I'm pretty sure it's around $100 a month.

The fastest in my area. :(

#13 Edited by ThatOneDudeNick (741 posts) -
I know Speedtest isn't always accurate, but I got the same results from TestMy.net just now as well.

Cox. Las Vegas, NV. Paying $60/month (advertised price is $74, but if you call they lower it back to promo price) for 50Mbps down and 10Mbps up. I'm happy with the performance. I had 150/20 free for a year (customer loyalty offer), but I couldn't justify $110 a month after that offer ran out. I'm actually happy with Cox. They're still a terrible cable company, but my speeds are consistent all day with a ton of devices in my house. I've used hundreds of GB per month with no complaints or noticeable throttling.

CenturyLink now has 1Gbps fiber available in my neighborhood, but I've heard horror stories about dealing with them. I might give it a shot if I can get in with no contracts.

*edit* I just noticed "Faster than 94% of US" on my results. That made me super thankful to have what I do. I'll never complain about wanting faster speeds again. It feels like my speeds should be average in this country, not the top 6%.

#14 Edited by Samael2138 (233 posts) -

In rural Texas, roughly 90 miles NE of Austin, I have a 12 Mb connection. At peak hours, I've watched it remain steady at 250 kps for several hours. The highest I've ever seen it go was 1.4MBs, and that is usually later at night, or the middle of a weekday. It also loves to just crap out at random times.

It is currently $50/month. It was $25/month, but the ISP is also a cable company(Zito Media), and when they realised they were losing cable clients to Internet streaming, they not only doubled the price of their internet, but also started to throttle certain popular streaming sites(YouTube, Netflix).

I would gladly go to ANY other ISP, but there is only the one available. I hear people bitch about Comcast/TimeWarner, AT&T, etc., but I would gladly welcome them with open arms.

And 90 miles away, in Austin, they have Google Fiber........

#15 Posted by Rotnac (817 posts) -

I pay just under $50 for 15 Mb/s ↓ / 2Mb/s ↑ - 300GB/Month (Unlimited between 2am - 8am)

Average internet speeds in Canada, as is tradition.

#16 Posted by JackBurt0n (74 posts) -

I've got 20 Mb down, 3 Mb up with AT&T uVerse here in Shawnee, KS. (suburb of Kansas City). I'm paying about $80/month for that. It's stupid, but it's the least objectionable option I have here in my area. Time Warner is not much better speeds for much more money, and SureWest is more money for worse speeds.

HOWEVER, hopefully it's less than a year before that sweet, sweet, Google Fiber gets to my area. Then it's nothing but streaming puppies and uploading everything I play to twitch/youtube. Signups are starting for my fiberhood later this summer! Woo!

#17 Edited by Mister_V (1434 posts) -

Pay £26/$43 a month for 80Mb/s↓ 19Mb/s ↑ Unlimited.

This test was on wifi so it's a little faster from my PC.

I live in a relatively rural area in the UK.

#18 Posted by RioStarwind (577 posts) -

I have 15 MB download and 1.5 MB upload for 40$ a month. I live in West Virginia. That isn't the quickest speed I could get in my area but it is the best one price wise for me at least.

#19 Edited by StarvingGamer (8548 posts) -

Like $65 a month for this shit, fuck TWC.

#20 Posted by c_rakestraw (854 posts) -

I'm using Comcast business class Internet (it was the only way to have no data-caps). I live in Oregon. Costs me around $100 a month. Way cheaper than my last provider, which had abysmal speeds and service.

#21 Posted by jkz (4058 posts) -

~30 Mb down, 10 mb up. I'm not 100% certain how much we pay for internet alone because it's part of a Comcast bundle (finally switching over to FIOS later this year), but I think roughly 65-80ish dollars of our bill is for the internet?

We've had constant trouble with signal strength and Comcast has been utterly useless in solving that, so part of our speed issue is that, but still, it's pretty garbage, especially since I do pretty much all my work for actual jobs over said internet.

#22 Edited by Chaser324 (6741 posts) -

In just the little bit that I've moved around, I've found high-speed internet pricing to be wildly inconsistent in terms of what you get for your money.

Just a few years ago, I was paying $50 for 2 Mbps down (can't recall the upload speed). As soon as I moved, I was paying the exact same price for 10 Mbps down.

I live in Florida, and I've just recently started paying for one of the higher priced packages available to me from my cable provider. It's priced at $80 (internet only, no TV/phone) and states 60 Mbps down / 5 Mbps up, but I often get a bit better than that.

#23 Posted by Zirilius (727 posts) -

I pay 30 down 4 up for 55 bucks a month. My area I live in is more like 8 down 1 up....fastest in my area. Fuck comcast

#24 Posted by robohasi (13 posts) -

I live in Greece, and I get 5 down, 0,5 up according to speedtest. I have asked several times to raise it, but according to them this is the "24 mb/s" subscription and the best they can provide, even though I live in the center of Athens.

#25 Edited by believer258 (12178 posts) -

You people have nothing to complain about.

North Carolina. $40 a month. Time Warner Cable. It's combined with a landline for telephones (because what's a cellphone signal?) so it's not too bad.

I can watch 480p Youtube videos and Giantbomb videos, and I can reasonably download most Steam games in under two days. That is, if no one else is using the internet. If someone else in the house decides to start watching Youtube videos - well, there goes any chance of multiplayer gaming! There goes Netflix! And most other things that aren't more demanding than low quality videos.

#26 Edited by PerryVandell (2109 posts) -

I live in Phoenix, AZ. I can't give you an exact figure for what I pay for internet as it's included in my rent. My Internet used to be "I'M MIXING COCAINE WITH BATH SALTS" fast when I lived in a dorm, but alas, those days seem to be behind me (I'm talking about 40 MB/s Steam download speeds. Yes, that's bytes, not bits). Google expressed interest in bringing fiber to Phoenix (and a handful of other cities), but nothing's concrete yet. I suppose it doesn't matter much given that I don't plan on staying here past graduation.

#27 Edited by AlexW00d (6430 posts) -

@mister_v said:

Pay £26/$43 a month for 80Mb/s↓ 19Mb/s ↑ Unlimited.

This test was on wifi so it's a little faster from my PC.

I live in a relatively rural area in the UK.

Basically this but I live in an unimportant town instead of a rural area.

#28 Posted by rachelepithet (1392 posts) -

I pay for 30Mb down 5Mb up, Time Warner Extreme, but in practice every speed test I try including TWC's own, say I'm getting 8Mbps downloads, but proper 5 uploads. So terrific speed for uploading photos to Photostream, but horrible performance for Netflix maintaining HD, Youtube hitching up, PS4 online lag.

#29 Posted by isomeri (1410 posts) -

Living in Helsinki and paying 20 euros a month for a 50 Mb/s down and 10 Mb/s up connection. Something a little faster would be nice, but I'm OK with this for now.

#30 Edited by expensiveham (295 posts) -

I live in Stockholm, Sweden and i pay 30$ for this. Unlimited data.

#31 Edited by NMC2008 (1237 posts) -

Los Angeles CA

#32 Posted by ripelivejam (4833 posts) -

three hundred hectares on a single tank of kerosene

#33 Posted by Christoffer (1917 posts) -

@ripelivejam: Is that an farenheit 451 reference? Reading it for the first time right now... sorry if I seem totaly crazy

#34 Posted by ThatOneDudeNick (741 posts) -
#35 Edited by brutushayesosu (140 posts) -

TWC Extreme 30/5 $55 Columbus, OH

#36 Edited by ghostyTrickster (342 posts) -

No clue what I'm paying because my parents just added me to their plan or whatever, but I do know we are overpaying for this garbage.

Time Warner sucks ass, so does living in the boonies of North Carolina.

@believer258: Where in NC are you? Those look like the speeds I get when I go back to visit my folks. I feel your pain, I had to deal with that trash all through high school.

#37 Edited by wemibelec90 (1828 posts) -

I'd paste my Speedtest results, but it's giving me really slow numbers right now for some reason.

Living in Central Iowa, I get 20/3 with my package, with a cap of 350 GB a month (a new addition that has me super-pissed). I think this is actually a bit higher than advertised, but I don't know exactly what package we're paying for (as I don't pay for the Internet where I live). I think what we pay is a little high but certainly not gouging. If the cap weren't part of the package, I think it would be okay.

#38 Edited by VierasTalo (933 posts) -

I live in Finland, pay 28,90 euros a month for this. Advertisted as 24/1mb. Will be moving in to a new apartment at the end of the month which will have 100/10mb for 19,90.

#39 Posted by expensiveham (295 posts) -
#40 Edited by EchoEcho (837 posts) -

First off, this shit is misleading as fuck. We're paying for (at least) twice the download speed it shows here (I don't remember what the exact price is, but it's over $50 a month), but more importantly, we've never gotten download speeds faster than 2mb/s, and that's typically only when everyone else in the house is either away or asleep. Every few months Suddenlink also decides to throttle our speeds for weeks on end between ~2PM and ~1AM every day, to the point where we're lucky if we get two-digit kb/s.

We also have a cap of 250GB per month. There are four people with computers in this house who all like to stream Netflix or Hulu (and myself and my girlfriend also download games and patches via Steam on an almost daily basis), and we've hit our limit multiple months in a row because of it, which just gives them an excuse to charge us extra.

Worst part of all this nonsense is that they are our only reasonable option in this area, so if we want Internet access, we don't have much choice but to put up with the bullshit.

#41 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11379 posts) -

North Carolina. $40 a month. Time Warner Cable. It's combined with a landline for telephones (because what's a cellphone signal?) so it's not too bad.

I can watch 480p Youtube videos and Giantbomb videos, and I can reasonably download most Steam games in under two days. That is, if no one else is using the internet. If someone else in the house decides to start watching Youtube videos - well, there goes any chance of multiplayer gaming! There goes Netflix! And most other things that aren't more demanding than low quality videos.

You sure you're not living in 2003?

#43 Posted by TobbRobb (4840 posts) -

$45 for 8Mbit down and 0.8Mbit up. Sweden.

I'm not too happy about this setup, and it's definitely not representative for Sweden as a whole. I just live in a bad place for internet.

#44 Posted by EchoEcho (837 posts) -

@believer258 said:

Sadly, I'm right there with him. I live in a small town in New Mexico with no options, so the one big ISP in the area is more than happy to take advantage of its monopoly, giving shitty service for far too much money.

#45 Posted by TheHBK (5563 posts) -

I pay $41/month for 15 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up. I live in Santa Ana, CA and get it provided by Time Warner. God damn is it slow sometimes.

#46 Edited by Seikenfreak (564 posts) -

Living in New Jersey, USA w/ Comcast. Bill seems to be about $64 a month for the internet.

What I don't understand about this speed test I just did is that the connection should be about 55 Mb/s download. That is the tier it is I think and that's the speed I always got from various speed test sites. I don't know why in this particular instance its almost double that. Maybe Comcast bumped up the speed for that tier which would be awesome, but more likely something is just being weird here.

#47 Edited by believer258 (12178 posts) -

@echoecho said:

@mooseymcman said:

@believer258 said:

Sadly, I'm right there with him. I live in a small town in New Mexico with no options, so the one big ISP in the area is more than happy to take advantage of its monopoly, giving shitty service for far too much money.

Actually, that's an upgrade. We used to have AT&T and that was 1.5 down, something less than 1 up. It dropped out at random times, too.

Time Warner Cable has bigger options but they're pretty expensive. I think the most they have available around here is 20Mbps, though, and it costs too much for that.

Hurry the fuck up, Google Fiber. I will gladly pay for that gigabit you want to charge everyone for.

#48 Edited by Teoball (638 posts) -

$69 a month

There are only old people around here that don't want any faster internet. The fiber companies require that at least five other households around here wants it before they'll consider bringing it here. Not gonna happen.

#49 Edited by Vasta_Narada (458 posts) -

Paying about $80 to Shaw a month in Surrey, BC. I have issues with them, and I feel like the package I have should be giving me more, but it's been better since I called and complained so I'll take it.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I took this test over wifi if it matters.

#50 Posted by ThatOneDudeNick (741 posts) -

@seikenfreak: TestMy.net will give you a more accurate and detailed reading. SpeedTest is usually pretty high (sometimes it shows 20-30% faster than my actual average).