#1 Posted by banishedsoul1 (294 posts) -

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/china-to-build-worlds-tallest-building--injust-90-days-8340870.html

"When completed by the end of next March, Sky City in Changsha will be the tallest skyscraper in the world, standing at 2,749ft (838m) high, over 220 floors. And remarkably, they’ve not started building it yet."

here is how they will do it. They made this 30 story building in 15 days and is in great shape today.

#2 Posted by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

Dang CHINESE! Takin are jerbs.

#3 Posted by banishedsoul1 (294 posts) -

@DoctorWelch said:

they took your jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjoooooooooob!

#4 Posted by Video_Game_King (35986 posts) -

@DoctorWelch said:

They tuk deir jurbs!

#5 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7048 posts) -

That sounds like it'll be really unsafe. Then again, the Chinese Government is known to ignore safety for the sake of outdoing other countries.

#6 Posted by banishedsoul1 (294 posts) -

@MariachiMacabre said:

That sounds like it'll be really unsafe. Then again, the Chinese Government is known to ignore safety for the sake of outdoing other countries.

Do you know anything about building sky scrappers? Whats with the China hate? Its not the government building it. If it falls down then the company will go under.

#7 Posted by DougQuaid (1271 posts) -

That's pretty damn impressive.

How do you build the world's tallest building in 90 days? pre-assemble nearly everything!

#8 Posted by banishedsoul1 (294 posts) -

@DougQuaid said:

How do you build the world's tallest building in 90 days? pre-assemble nearly everything!

Yeah its pretty innovative. They just put the parts in place and they are done. No more spending years and way more money on building if this becomes mainstream.

#9 Posted by Tarsier (1056 posts) -

@banishedsoul1 said:

@MariachiMacabre said:

Do you know anything about building sky scrappers? Whats with the China hate? Its not the government building it. If it falls down then the company will go under.

hm it sounds like he has some knowledge into this matter you best not challenge him

#10 Edited by Fooms (13 posts) -

Makes sense to me, instead of pouring all the concrete up the air and welding all the steel you do it on the ground in pre-built sections then just bolt it together.

Any mention on how they've been building the sections for before the final assembly? Seems like it would be a couple years worth.

#11 Posted by banishedsoul1 (294 posts) -

@Tarsier said:

@banishedsoul1 said:

@MariachiMacabre said:

hm it sounds like he has some knowledge into this matter you best not challenge him

To me it just seems he is assuming it would be a disaster because its in China. Many people are like " ugh china=fail" for no reason,

#12 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7048 posts) -
@banishedsoul1

@MariachiMacabre said:

If a sky scraper that size is built in 90 days, I'd bet it's safe to assume they cut corners on the safety end of things to accomplish it. That has nothing to do with China. And my statement about China is true. Only a few years ago they built a giant "Gundam" statue to outdo the one in Japan. When the Japanese confronted them about it, they tore it down and pretend it didn't exist. China's government is shady as hell. No getting around that. They have been for decades.
#13 Posted by Kidavenger (3508 posts) -

I'd be interested in a comparison of costs between this and a traditional building; it's looks like they are using 2x the steel in this and they are probably using a lot more labour fabricating offsite and shipping then assembling; I'm not really sure what the point is other than to get something up really quick, interesting video anyway.

#14 Posted by ripelivejam (3529 posts) -

@DougQuaid said:

and then be forced to miniaturize it until it fits into something 1/4th of an inch thick :D

#15 Posted by Grillbar (1796 posts) -

@DoctorWelch said:

der takin are jerbs!!!

#16 Posted by Tarsier (1056 posts) -

@banishedsoul1 said:

@Tarsier said:

@banishedsoul1 said:

@MariachiMacabre said:

To me it just seems he is assuming it would be a disaster because its in China. Many people are like " ugh china=fail" for no reason,

i dont see how it seems like that at all.. he is saying something the chinese government are known for. how is that not legitimate ?

#17 Posted by Grillbar (1796 posts) -

@banishedsoul1 said:

@MariachiMacabre said:

HA good one. if it falls down the company will go under your hilarious

#18 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

I want to live in this futuristic building.

#19 Edited by themangalist (1717 posts) -

Pretty impressive. Developing countries have more room and tech to play with it seems. Here's another crazy building built in 6 days in China:

But I think they look pretty shit. The interiors are fine but from the outside they look boring.

@MariachiMacabre said:

Now that's just ignorant.

#20 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -

@themangalist said:

@MariachiMacabre said:

Is it? Which part?

#21 Posted by damswedon (3174 posts) -

@banishedsoul1 said:

@DougQuaid said:

Yeah its pretty innovative. They just put the parts in place and they are done. No more spending years and way more money on building if this becomes mainstream.

There is a German company called Huf Haus that has been building houses like this from at least the 70s. One of their houses appeared on a UK show called Grand Designs a few years back.

#22 Posted by Landon (4130 posts) -

@MariachiMacabre said:

You could probably say that... CHINA DONT CARE!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

I'll see myself out.

#23 Posted by ShockD (2393 posts) -
@Tarsier said:

@banishedsoul1 said:

@MariachiMacabre said:

The fact that he judges about China's buildings by it's policy shows enough. I haven't seen recently a Chinese skyscraper fall off, on the contrary I know I've seen American ones fall off. The Chinese really do have an amazing building technology and work a lot to realize it in the best possible way.
#24 Posted by themangalist (1717 posts) -

@mutha3 said:

@themangalist said:

@MariachiMacabre said:

Is it? Which part?

ummm... the logic that Premise 1: it is built in China, Premise 2: "Chinese government is known to ignore safety for the sake of outdoing other countries" and therefore "That sounds like it'll be really unsafe". hint:

@MariachiMacabre said:

If a sky scraper that size is built in 90 days, I'd bet it's safe to assume they cut corners on the safety end of things to accomplish it. That has nothing to do with China. And my statement about China is true. Only a few years ago they built a giant "Gundam" statue to outdo the one in Japan. When the Japanese confronted them about it, they tore it down and pretend it didn't exist. China's government is shady as hell. No getting around that. They have been for decades.

The gundam part has nothing to do with safety, or the government. If anything it's that some Chinese people (those who erected the fake gundam, which were the park owners) are blatantly infringing copyrights, and are making money off someone else's creative work. They are confronted by the copyright holders (the animation company from Japan) and the park owners took it down and pretended it never happened. Bad ethics on their part, but I have no idea why the government is dragged into this.

And please don't get me wrong, I'm not some "holy defender" of the Chinese peoples (lol). The Siquan Earthquake from years back revealed that the corrupt local ministries built infrastructure with very cheap materials. The Chinese government did not deny it, and it was fucked up. But this has nothing to do with that, and it's just ignorant to say that EVERYTHING BUILT IN CHINA IS UNSAFE. Can we just step back from all the nationalism shit and just marvel at what technology can do for us today?

#25 Posted by themangalist (1717 posts) -

@ShockD said:

@Tarsier said:

The fact that he judges about China's buildings by it's policy shows enough. I haven't seen recently a Chinese skyscraper fall off, on the contrary I know I've seen American ones fall off. The Chinese really do have an amazing building technology and work a lot to realize it in the best possible way.

And I still feel great for typing up a whopping two paragraph to explain... man, one of these days i need to take the internet less seriously. Yes, @Landon speaks the truth:

CHINA DONT CARE!!!
#26 Posted by Bones8677 (3210 posts) -

@ShockD said:

@Tarsier said:

@banishedsoul1 said:

@MariachiMacabre said:

You're kidding right? There's reports all the time about recent Chinese buildings falling down. Just a couple months ago a section of the Great Wall collapsed only a few months after it was restored.

This overpass was build only ten months before it collapsed.

This building wasn't even finished before it fell down killing a worker.

#27 Posted by ShockD (2393 posts) -
@Bones8677: Great Chinese Wall... It's centuries old, it's a miracle it begins to fall down just now. Also, we're talking skyscrapers. But they do have good building. The highest bridge, the largest power station, the largest dam in the world, are on their territory to prove it. I believe they finished this building so fast because it was a simple construction and they probably worked much more than usual workers do.
#28 Posted by Sanity (1891 posts) -

Yea, no offense but if a building goes up that fast your cutting corners somewhere. It may stand for 30 years and be fine but id rather our strict building codes then build it fast as possible. Im not saying its not impressive, but theirs a reason we dont do this.

Also they took our jerbs!!!!

#29 Posted by thedj93 (1237 posts) -

HUBRIS! babylon will FALL!

just kidding

#30 Edited by KevinK (198 posts) -

Laugh out loud. I love all the China defenders in this thread. 

China has a history of these "rush" buildings falling down. It's not racism or anti-Chinism. The country is in a rush to build build build and they're throwing up this ramshackle buildings in some cases. From the Daily Mail: 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1196064/Tumbling-tower-China-Amazing-pictures-13-storey-block-flats-toppled-over.html (pictures inside)

A newly built 13-storey residential building collapsed in Shanghai yesterday, killing one worker.

The block of high-rise flats toppled onto its side in the muddy construction site raising concerns that building safety standards are being overlooked in favour of fast construction in China's rush to modernise. 

The building appeared to be almost complete with fitted windows and a finished, tiled facade. Other similar-looking blocks in the same property development were still standing nearby.

Shoddy construction and the use of sub-standard materials is a concern in China's construction sector as the country scrambles to build out cities and finish massive infrastructure projects to keep pace with fast economic growth.

Construction-related accidents last year included the collapse of a steel arch on a new railway bridge, which killed at least seven and a crane which fell on a nursery school killing five.

The collapse of dozens of schools during last year's Sichuan earthquake also led to a wave of public outrage about corrupt officials and construction firms.
 You can find a more examples if you Google around. 

I can just imagine what would be said on internet message boards if American buildings had a habit of falling down randomly after being built in 15 days.
#31 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

I Build For China

#32 Posted by banishedsoul1 (294 posts) -

@KevinK said:

Laugh out loud. I love all the China defenders in this thread.

China has a history of these "rush" buildings falling down. It's not racism or anti-Chinism. The country is in a rush to build build build and they're throwing up this ramshackle buildings in some cases. From the Daily Mail:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1196064/Tumbling-tower-China-Amazing-pictures-13-storey-block-flats-toppled-over.html (pictures inside)

A newly built 13-storey residential building collapsed in Shanghai yesterday, killing one worker.

The block of high-rise flats toppled onto its side in the muddy construction site raising concerns that building safety standards are being overlooked in favour of fast construction in China's rush to modernise.

The building appeared to be almost complete with fitted windows and a finished, tiled facade. Other similar-looking blocks in the same property development were still standing nearby.

Shoddy construction and the use of sub-standard materials is a concern in China's construction sector as the country scrambles to build out cities and finish massive infrastructure projects to keep pace with fast economic growth.

Construction-related accidents last year included the collapse of a steel arch on a new railway bridge, which killed at least seven and a crane which fell on a nursery school killing five.

The collapse of dozens of schools during last year's Sichuan earthquake also led to a wave of public outrage about corrupt officials and construction firms.
You can find a more examples if you Google around. I can just imagine what would be said on internet message boards if American buildings had a habit of falling down randomly after being built in 15 days.

i am sure i can find many example of western buildings failing. Even in my city Toronto we have glass falling off the new trump tower that was finished last year. We have huge chunks of highway falling onto cars as well.

#33 Posted by FourWude (2261 posts) -

Well I for one welcome our new Chinese overlords and masters. I have always been pro-Chinese, in all the magnificent endeavours mighty motherland has done throughout the ages. The Gwai-Lo in this thread will soon learn of the might of the middle kingdom. Long may you erect buildings high into the sky, higher and more erected than the buildings of these Gwai Lo.

#34 Posted by Dalai (6995 posts) -

China is looking to own the title of tallest building and tallest building collapse. How ambitious.

#35 Posted by mosespippy (4032 posts) -

@Kidavenger said:

I'd be interested in a comparison of costs between this and a traditional building; it's looks like they are using 2x the steel in this and they are probably using a lot more labour fabricating offsite and shipping then assembling; I'm not really sure what the point is other than to get something up really quick, interesting video anyway.

The provincial governments are under lots of pressure from the central government to push up their GDP. An easy way to do this is with construction jobs. Doubling the steel and using excessive amounts of labour is part of that plan. China builds 10 cities the size of New York every year but almost no one lives in them because there is no one else there to do business with. Also, the cost of property in these vacant cities is greater than the average chinese resident can afford.

#36 Posted by kycinematic (139 posts) -

While certainly impressive, I still wouldn't trust the structural integrity of the building to actually enter it (let alone live/work there, holy shit you'd need balls of steel).

#37 Posted by eskimo (473 posts) -

@MariachiMacabre: Sounds just like the US Space Program

#38 Posted by banishedsoul1 (294 posts) -

@kycinematic said:

While certainly impressive, I still wouldn't trust the structural integrity of the building to actually enter it (let alone live/work there, holy shit you'd need balls of steel).

So far this innovative building method has been safe.

#39 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Why would you want to build the tallest building in the world as fast as possible, take your time make sure it's safe.

#40 Posted by pweidman (2297 posts) -

OK, so now I'm confused. China does or doesn't care?

#41 Posted by yakov456 (1899 posts) -

Step in it when it's done. I dare you.

#42 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

And it takes these lazy American swine two years to build a fucking roundabout in front of my neighborhood.....

#43 Posted by banishedsoul1 (294 posts) -

@yakov456 said:

Step in it when it's done. I dare you.

i would love to

#44 Edited by TooWalrus (13135 posts) -

@PeasantAbuse: Where are they building roundabouts in the States? I haven't seen one of those since I lived in New Zealand...

EDIT: Your mini-bio didn't answer my question...

#45 Posted by TooWalrus (13135 posts) -

Why did you title this thread in the past tense... I call bullshit, see you in 90 days.

#46 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

@TooWalrus: I live in Washington and they've built a bunch in my city. They're kind of nice, but a lot of people suck and speed through them without yielding.

I completely forgot that was in my mini bio haha.