Tame Impala - Why the heck is this amazing band barely known?

• 82 results
Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Coafi

I'm with you! Tame Impala is an awesome band. Let's post more songs!

Also, I don't know if anyone can confirm or not, but I'm pretty sure that Tame Impala is the background music playing in the Grand Theft Auto V trailer.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By BrockNRolla

@lavaman77 said:

they have so much talent and can easily take the title of the Beatles of our generation.

Hyperbole!

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By Cloudenvy

@BrockNRolla said:

@lavaman77 said:

they have so much talent and can easily take the title of the Beatles of our generation.

Hyperbole!

Overstatement!

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23
deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

@lavaman77 said:

@SamFo said:

Well for a start, I don't think Tame Impala sounds like the Beatles. I guess it's Psychadelic rock, so alot of the Beatles more psychadelic tracks (Tomorrow Never Knows, Within you, Without you) bear some resemblance. But I'd say Dr Dog or the Young Veins/Panic at the Disco have far more in common with the Beatles, I don't think they are better though. In terms of evolving that sound I think Animal Collective do a better job than Tame Impala.

I just think that they capture the 70's so damn well that i can't help it but think of the beatles.

@believer258 said:

@lavaman77 said:

In terms of talent, they definitely have a very strong potential of being the next beatles. Can you really name any band that sounded so close to the beatles other than Tame Impala?

If one band does something good and original, and another band sounds just like them, then the original is the better band. Calling them "the Beatles for the modern age" doesn't really do much for them. The Beatles have come and gone. No, I would much rather see a band that does something different.

And by "different", I don't mean anything done almost completely with a computer. Can we have our real instruments back, please?

Not necessarily, i feel that Tame Impala exceeds the beatles big time in this genre. Tame Impala are using a mix of computer and real instruments so i don't know why you think they're only doing it with a computer, When they mix up the two it really makes for an amazing experience.

@Chuggsy said:

Doesn't sound very great to me, not my type of music. But that's not the point.

Listen, don't go promoting a band and taking it personal when everybody doesn't love them. It's pointless and immature. There are thousands of bands you don't know and that you would think are the best thing ever. Don't get too hyped when you find one.

Music is horrible these days so can you really blame me for being hyped? it's hard to find any good band these days. I'm not really taking it personal but im bugged about how skilled bands barley get any exposure and garbage bands get pushed and advertised in every way possible. These guys actually have talent and bringing back a fantastic era of music.

What are you, 14? This music is pretty much the standard indie stuff you can find everywhere, its not groundbreaking in any way, its rather standard.

Also, there have been bad music, through all the generations, saying music today terrible is just plain wrong. I mean, youre entitled to your oppinion, but there have ALWAYS been bad music, its just usually the "good" music that survives from lets say, the 70'es and thats what youre hearing now. Seriously, were better off today than the 90'es, that was horrible.

Skilled bands get plenty of exposure, your oppinion of their music can vary, but you can find loads of talented musicians throughtout the popular media, and there are PLENTY out there, not in the popular media, just sounds like you havent searched enough or throughly enough. Seriously sign up to spotify or something, go to some indie venues if thats your kind of thing.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#55  Edited By TheHBK

They are ok... they do sound like the Beatles to me, more their later work.. but that is why. People want new stuff. The classics the beatles put out are gonna be better and entice people more.

Also, their name is fucking stupid. don't name your band after a bland and boring car and add to it that is even more bland and boring.

sixpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#56  Edited By sixpin

They are okay. I'd rather just listen to the actual Beetles. As someone else mentioned, this take on the genre isn't new. Oasis did this style back in the 90s and did it better in my opinion.

neozeke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By neozeke

@lavaman77 said:

@Chuggsy said:

@lavaman77 said:

@Chuggsy said:

Listen, don't go promoting a band and taking it personal when everybody doesn't love them. It's pointless and immature. There are thousands of bands you don't know and that you would think are the best thing ever. Don't get too hyped when you find one.

Music is horrible these days so can you really blame me for being hyped? it's hard to find any good band these days. I'm not really taking it personal but im bugged about how skilled bands barley get any exposure and garbage bands get pushed and advertised in every way possible. These guys actually have talent and bringing back a fantastic era of music.

Music is awesome these days, some of the best it has ever been. Avoid the top 40 and actually try looking around. There are so many fucking good bands and just by saying "music is horrible these days" you've proven how childish you are.

Name some who sound just as good and exciting as this band who came out recently.

Animal Collective, not new but they exploded a few years ago with Meriwether Post Pavilion. They're super influenced by The Beach Boys, but unlike Tame Impala they don't invest in that influence to an absurd degree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zol2MJf6XNE

Fang Island's debut came out a 2(?) years ago and it's basically mathrock coated in cheesy 80's guitar and nice vocals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEXrekmgqrQ

Titus Andronicus has their own pretty unique take on punk rock, with elements of Rock n' Roll Country and Shoegaze.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cM1sQhMGGS8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFHlK8ZXgvE

Geographer combines Indie Pop with a chiptuneish sound

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=talOq6wp8kk

Battles, which I can't even really describe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grnTfmBR3FY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpGp-22t0lU

Then there's the new wave of Emo groups which are really good if you can dig the vocals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WglXq213Ufw&feature=related

And Folk Punk, which can be good or bad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9vzxzjsv6g

It's really not hard to find good music man, just look around. With the exception of Andrew Jackson Jihad, these guys sound pretty unique.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By ghost_cat

They are fine, but nothing that exciting. Then again, I normally dig artists that push the sound to new levels, or something that is basic yet honest. But the "Expectations" video is pretty sweet.

lavaman77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#59  Edited By lavaman77

@neozeke said:

@lavaman77 said:

@Chuggsy said:

@lavaman77 said:

@Chuggsy said:

Music is awesome these days, some of the best it has ever been. Avoid the top 40 and actually try looking around. There are so many fucking good bands and just by saying "music is horrible these days" you've proven how childish you are.

Name some who sound just as good and exciting as this band who came out recently.

Animal Collective, not new but they exploded a few years ago with Meriwether Post Pavilion. They're super influenced by The Beach Boys, but unlike Tame Impala they don't invest in that influence to an absurd degree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zol2MJf6XNE

Fang Island's debut came out a 2(?) years ago and it's basically mathrock coated in cheesy 80's guitar and nice vocals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEXrekmgqrQ

Titus Andronicus has their own pretty unique take on punk rock, with elements of Rock n' Roll Country and Shoegaze.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cM1sQhMGGS8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFHlK8ZXgvE

Geographer combines Indie Pop with a chiptuneish sound

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=talOq6wp8kk

Battles, which I can't even really describe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grnTfmBR3FY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpGp-22t0lU

Then there's the new wave of Emo groups which are really good if you can dig the vocals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WglXq213Ufw&feature=related

And Folk Punk, which can be good or bad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9vzxzjsv6g

It's really not hard to find good music man, just look around. With the exception of Andrew Jackson Jihad, these guys sound pretty unique.

So much awesome!! thanks a lot mate!

Alexandruxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Alexandruxx

Spam much?

neozeke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By neozeke

@lavaman77: No problem man, you should probably look into last.fm too, it's a great way to find new music.

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#62  Edited By cookiemonster

haha

Avatar image for thecatswhiskers
thecatswhiskers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Wings, the band the Beatles could have been.

Toxeia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why you necro this thread?

Also, the Beatles are bad.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

These videos no longer exist.

Can we automatically lock threads that are more than a year old with a few exceptions like the Anime Discussion Thread, the Bombcast Waiting Room, the Photo Edit Thread, etc.?

ninnanuam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I honestly don't get the impala love, they are straight ripping off late 60s early 70s jam band psych rock. I disturbs me because they don't even try to put anything new into it, it's not "influenced by it". That shit is straight up theft.

You know there were hundreds of bands that sounded like that right?

I'd suggest if they float your boat you start listening to the Nuggets compilations, a lot of the stuff on those comps sounds crap, but they didn't exactly have modern recording equipment and they were generally recording on a shoestring.

riptide0652

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lavaman77: dont expect these people to understand the greatness that is tame impala. Remember not everyone can see genius. :) just be glad like me that you can .

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By BisonHero

@believer258 said:

Can we automatically lock threads that are more than a year old with a few exceptions like the Anime Discussion Thread, the Bombcast Waiting Room, the Photo Edit Thread, etc.?

I honestly don't get what people even think they are accomplishing when their first post is necroing a thread that was abandoned over a year ago. Duplicate threads are only stupid if two people both make the same thread about a recent event or something. Just make a new thread about whatever dumb opinion you want to share.

Which ultimately doesn't matter because the offending necromancers usually aren't actually GB users who feel the need to talk about Tame Impala (or whatever the case may be), but are instead just fucking internet randos who punched Tame Impala into Google and somehow found this old fucking thread and felt the need to sign up for an account to say something about it. I highly doubt there is any other way you would ever come across this thread, given how permanently busted GB forum search has been for years.

Surkov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've tried to like them, but they haven't caught me yet.

I would recommend: Portugal. The Man, The Arctic Monkeys, Mac Demarco, Starfucker, Of Montreal, and Tokyo Police Club. Some of my recent favorites.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're alright, totally overrated

Saw them at Glastonbury 2011 and it ranks among one of the worst live shows I've ever seen.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2 years later, they're still my favourite band. I can't believe some of the comments.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#73  Edited By Justin258

@believer258 said:

I honestly don't get what people even think they are accomplishing when their first post is necroing a thread that was abandoned over a year ago. Duplicate threads are only stupid if two people both make the same thread about a recent event or something. Just make a new thread about whatever dumb opinion you want to share.

Which ultimately doesn't matter because the offending necromancers usually aren't actually GB users who feel the need to talk about Tame Impala (or whatever the case may be), but are instead just fucking internet randos who punched Tame Impala into Google and somehow found this old fucking thread and felt the need to sign up for an account to say something about it. I highly doubt there is any other way you would ever come across this thread, given how permanently busted GB forum search has been for years.

Then I say we prevent new users from posting until their account is a few hours or a day old. Will cut out unnecessary necro'ing as well as bots and stuff. Or they can only post in a thread that isn't more than a week old and can't make a new thread or something.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258 said:

I always assumed the person cares more about the random bullshit thread than wanting to become a member on the actual site. Maybe the person is a Tame Impala fan and spends all their free time scouring the Internet for Tame Impala threads through Google?

That could explain the insistence on replying to an old post instead of going through the trouble of making a new one since who knows if a video game site full of nerds knows anything about "good" music. We like chiptunes and anime butt rock, right?

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I like Tame Impala a lot. If you are a fan definately check out Pond - a few of the band members are in both bands and they sound very similar.

Loading Video...

Other good similar bands:

Mink Mussle Creek, Melody's Echo Chamber (I believe one of the TI guys play in this too), MGMT, Maccabees

Dixego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tame Impala are pretty cool. They're one of the rare bands I can listen to without really wanting to change the song.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@49th said:

Melody's Echo Chamber (I believe one of the TI guys play in this too)

Kevin Parker did. He mixed some stuff for Moodoïd too (Melody's guitarist). Anything he touches turns to gold.

Loading Video...

Also, Temples are pretty good. They just released an album:

Loading Video...

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wjb said:

@bisonhero said:

@believer258 said:

I always assumed the person cares more about the random bullshit thread than wanting to become a member on the actual site. Maybe the person is a Tame Impala fan and spends all their free time scouring the Internet for Tame Impala threads through Google?

That could explain the insistence on replying to an old post instead of going through the trouble of making a new one since who knows if a video game site full of nerds knows anything about "good" music. We like chiptunes and anime butt rock, right?

Did you intentionally stop reading the rest of my post where I made that exact point? I'm not angry, just confused.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero: Oh wow, that's really embarrassing. I totally read it and must have blanked out certain parts of your post unintentionally. I'm sorry. I would delete it now if I could.

I think I need to stop posting altogether.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Sinusoidal

I don't know where you were when every hipster and their rescued dog was slathering them with praise a couple years back.

They're produced by David Fridmann - who may very well be a modern George Martin - but I don't think the band is particularly oozing with talent themselves.

The thing is, there will never be a modern Beatles because the niche that they filled (pop music idols) is no longer as exclusive nor wanting for talent as it was in the 60s. The average laptop has more music production power than the entirety of Abbey Road Studios in the 60s. Corporations are pumping out the music that the average music listener wants to hear on a daily basis and have staffs of talented music producers and musicians waiting around to back the latest face.

The Beatles became what they were because they were the first to do what they did. No one else can ever be first again.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wjb said:

@bisonhero: Oh wow, that's really embarrassing. I totally read it and must have blanked out certain parts of your post unintentionally. I'm sorry. I would delete it now if I could.

Haha, no problem, I was honestly just baffled and thought maybe some edit I made to the post erased half the thing or something.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wjb said:

Haha, no problem, I was honestly just baffled and thought maybe some edit I made to the post erased half the thing or something.

I rarely get red in the face, but I felt the heat once I realized what I did. I'm still trying to figure it out, lol.

My only explanation is I read your post, hit reply, walked away to do something else for a few minutes, came back, forgot what you said except for what I remembered from the first paragraph, removed the rest of your post in the quote (for some fucking reason), and decided to go "Durrr, I make witty comment now!"

I know it's cool, but I'm still trying to figure out what the fuck I did.

Anyway, thanks Tame Impala necro guy! I blame you. ("Be Above It" is cool.)

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Skrillex is the new Beatles.

Discuss.

Counterargument: Kanye West.