• 66 results
#1 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4606 posts) -

Quentin 'I like feet' Tarantino's new movie Django Unchained, after months of being hyped, finally has a trailer out.

Requisite Johnny Cash song? Check. Christoph Waltz casually shooting folks? Check. Bizarre mashup of violence and humor? Check. Even a handy-dandy explanation of how to pronounce the name! Not pictured: Extensive use of the N-word, outrageous violence, long monologues.

I'm withholding judgement on this. I really liked some of his stuff (Resevoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown) but not a lot of his more recent work. I only saw the first Kill Bill and thought it was kind of dumb/boring, and I liked exactly half of Inglourious Basterds. Tarantino's great when he's great, but he really needs someone to tell him no every once in a while. Sort of a weird parallel to the George Lucas effect, almost. Anyhoo, this looks like it could easily go either way. Also, Waltz's voice is really bothering me for some reason. I dunno.

#2 Posted by SirPsychoSexy (1331 posts) -

I feel like DiCaprio will fucking nail this.

#3 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

I hope it doesn't have long monologues. I almost stopped watching Inglorious Basterds during the pub scene.

#4 Edited by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

Looks cool. And yeah, I hope that there's some more restraint shown in this as opposed to Inglorious Basterds, which got a little excessive by the end.

also i've been wondering how to pronounce "django" for a while now, very handy

#5 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@BraveToaster said:

I hope it doesn't have long monologues. I almost stopped watching Inglorious Basterds during the pub scene.

Yeah but tarintino has super engaging dialog, if you get bored by inglorious basterds dialogue, I feel bad for you son.

#6 Posted by ThePickle (4190 posts) -

Sold. Fucking sold.

#7 Posted by jewunit (1064 posts) -

It seems like a fun movie. I am sure it will play out like a pulp comic, but that's the joy of watching a Tarantino movie.

#8 Posted by Totori (559 posts) -

Solar boy Django?

#9 Posted by Kraznor (1588 posts) -

I love long monologues, but in either case, this looks fun. Christoph Waltz is now a gentleman I watch for, looks like he is having a ball once again.

#10 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@BestUsernameEver said:

@BraveToaster said:

Yeah but tarintino has super engaging dialog, if you get bored by inglorious basterds dialogue, I feel bad for you son.

I think it is more of a opinion thing. He has a pretty distinct style of dialogue, so while some people think it is a genius work, some may think it is pretty boring. I personally dislike Tarantino, but some of his movies are fine. I wish he embraced more the "B-Movie Action" than the "weird dialogue".
#11 Posted by hakunin (395 posts) -

FUCK. YES.

#12 Posted by Strife777 (1611 posts) -

Looks good to me. I'm still in.

#13 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@MikeGosot said:

@BestUsernameEver said:

@BraveToaster said:

I think it is more of a opinion thing. He has a pretty distinct style of dialogue, so while some people think it is a genius work, some may think it is pretty boring. I personally dislike Tarantino, but some of his movies are fine. I wish he embraced more the "B-Movie Action" than the "weird dialogue".

Good point.

#14 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

@BestUsernameEver said:

@BraveToaster said:

I don't mind his dialog, I just feel that that particular scene went on too long. It threw-off the pacing for me.

#15 Posted by hakunin (395 posts) -

@BraveToaster said:

@BestUsernameEver said:

@BraveToaster said:

I don't mind his dialog, I just feel that that particular scene went on too long. It threw-off the pacing for me.

Man, that was the best scene in the movie, IMO. You could cut the tension in that scene with a knife.

#16 Posted by SSValis (1136 posts) -

Awesome. I love Tarantino's films even if he is an assclown.

#17 Posted by stryker1121 (1567 posts) -

@BestUsernameEver said:

@BraveToaster said:

I loved IB, Quentin's best flick since Pulp. The whole scene in the basement bar is one of my faves of recent years, and of course Waltz is all smiling menace. Good times.

#18 Edited by redbliss (648 posts) -

@BraveToaster: Do you like Tarantino's movies then? I feel like all of his movies are basically all dialogue (except for maybe Kill Bill).

#19 Posted by Aegon (5764 posts) -
@BraveToaster said:

The long talks were actually a pleasant surprise in Inglorious Basterds. It was unexpected, but very well done. It''s kind of false marketing, but when it's good, it's good. 
#20 Posted by coaxmetal (1647 posts) -

I have used Django to develop many webapps and that trailer is innacurate.

#21 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Hype get!

#22 Edited by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Meh. Wasn't particularly fond of Inglourious Basterds. Might be good though.

#23 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

@redbliss said:

@BraveToaster: Do you like Tarantino's movies then? I feel like all of his movies are basically all dialogue (except for maybe Kill Bill).

Of course I like his films. I just had an issue with one scene; I never stated that I hated all of his dialogue.

#24 Posted by Slax (961 posts) -

I will now watch this trailer for the second time today.

#25 Posted by believer258 (12100 posts) -

I liked Inglourious Basterds (yes, that's how the poster spells it) and Pulp Fiction a whole lot. And not many people write dialog as well as Tarantino did for those two movies, so I'll bet that this will be a good movie.

Unfortunately, I've also only seen those two movies of his so I need to see more. Really, though, Pulp Fiction was magnificent as far as I'm concerned.

#26 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3215 posts) -

Fuck yeah! My favorite director.

#27 Posted by SSully (4276 posts) -

Count me in.

#28 Posted by benspyda (2043 posts) -

Tarantino's my all time favorite director and I love all his films, so no doubt I'm pumped for this. I can understand though why some wouldn't like his films, he does a very specific kind of film.

#29 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (1215 posts) -

Tarantino is the one man on this planet I would sleep with. I'm not gay, but if I were he would be the one.

#30 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@stryker1121 said:

@BestUsernameEver said:

@BraveToaster said:

I loved IB, Quentin's best flick since Pulp. The whole scene in the basement bar is one of my faves of recent years, and of course Waltz is all smiling menace. Good times.

That movie is genuinely entertaining, that's the best way for me to describe it, everyone fit perfectly, and the tone, pacing and dialog was superb, surprised not many people talk about it more.

#31 Posted by Bribo (608 posts) -

If Jamie Foxx doesn't end up getting a few fingers shot off, I'll be disappointed.

Beyond that, we already know that Waltz is awesome and Foxx can make for a great hero in an unbelievable situation (see Collateral).

I'm most looking forward to DiCaprio's performance. You can tell from the trailer that he's way into it. I can't remember the last time I saw a pair of eyebrows work so hard.

#32 Posted by TheHT (11676 posts) -

Doesn't look good. I'm confident that it's the trailers fault and that the movie will be awesome. Excited for another Tarantino film.

#33 Posted by Redbullet685 (6067 posts) -

Fuck yes. Love Tarantino.

#34 Posted by Bribo (608 posts) -

@BraveToaster said:

@BestUsernameEver said:

@BraveToaster said:

I can see that - it was yet another uncomfortable-conversation-with-a-Nazi - but the payoff was totally worth it.

#35 Edited by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

Sold. I love pretty much all Tarantino films and more is just fine with me.

#36 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

@BestUsernameEver said:

@BraveToaster said:

I got 99 problems, but Tarantino dialogue ain't one.

#37 Posted by Sarnecki (693 posts) -

If you liked Basterds you'll love this. The script reads like a huge long epic version of what QT was going for in that movie.

#38 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

@BestUsernameEver said:

@BraveToaster said:

I just need to second this.

#39 Posted by Packie (255 posts) -

Dicaprio looks so deliciously over the top and fucking evil it's hilarious. Dude nails it.

#40 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4867 posts) -

anyone got the over-under on whether or not the marketing will be a fucking lie like Inglorious Basterds?

That really pissed me off (despite the movie actually being pretty good).

#41 Edited by MrCandleguy (822 posts) -

EDIT: Gah dw about it... someone already said it. Damn.

#42 Posted by xyzygy (10065 posts) -

I don't know. For some reason I just find the setting and premise that the trailer presents a little boring. Tarantino's movies are usually full of stylistic flair and thrive on the strange characters and situations, right? I see none of that in this trailer...

#43 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

Despite the existence of Foxx's face in this movie, I'm excited.

#44 Posted by Yummylee (22290 posts) -

God yes! Total Tarantino fanboy, so I can't not be excited for anything he's involved in.

#45 Posted by Mutley (300 posts) -

@BraveToaster said:

Wow really? That pub scene was one of the best, if not, THE best scene in the film.

OT: Looks pretty cool. A little corny and over the top to what I was expecting as I was hearing this film is REALLY controversial based on the script but it may be different in the final film.

Tarintino is a genius and one of my fave directors so I have faith in him.

#46 Posted by wewantsthering (1586 posts) -

@MarkWahlberg said:

Quentin 'I like feet' Tarantino's new movie Django Unchained, after months of being hyped, finally has a trailer out.

I only saw the first Kill Bill and thought it was kind of dumb/boring.

You lost me there buddy. Kill Bill 1 and 2 are two of his best.

#47 Posted by project343 (2836 posts) -

Off the chain? Fuck that's great.

#48 Posted by Whampire (58 posts) -

This looks like a fantastic amount of fun. I cannot wait.

#49 Posted by Bigheart711 (1253 posts) -

This looks awesome!

#50 Posted by Zleunamme (696 posts) -

I read that Will Smith was considered for the lead role.