Team Bondi closed?

SpacePenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SpacePenguin

I just saw that Team Bondi shut down, wow that was really unexpected. 
Anyone have any thoughts?

I honestly thought Rockstar would have bought them.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By LordXavierBritish

It turns out slave labor is illegal.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Vinny_Says

10 year dev cycles have no place in today's market

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Karmum

It's a shame, really. Even with L.A. Noire's faults and general repetition, I found it to be a quite adequate game. One and done. I hope some of the team gets together to form a new studio. Hopefully with decent hours. And with a reasonable developmental cycle. That's kind of important, too.

Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Belonpopo

sure.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Dany

@SpacePenguin said:

I just saw that Team Bondi shut down, wow that was really unexpected. Anyone have any thoughts? I honestly thought Rockstar would have bought them.

Rockstar did not want to purchase them because the partnership made for L.A. Noire was laced with hatred for each other. The main issue of all of this is the Macnamera, no paid overtimes, high employee turnover rate and general mismanagement.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Karl_Boss

Good riddance.

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By bicycleham

Well we can totally throw out that LA Noire sequel that everybody wanted right? 

OH WAIT 
/semi-sarcasm

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#9  Edited By Hailinel

Color me completely unsurprised. I do hope that all of the employees affected are able to find better employment elsewhere.

Well, maybe not McNamara. That guy can spend the rest of his days manning the production line at a Vegemite plant, given all of the nasty things he's alleged to have done.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MrKlorox

@Xolare said:

Well we can totally throw out that LA Noire sequel that everybody wanted right? OH WAIT

If Rockstar wanted to make another LA Noire, they'd buy the rights to the name. Kinda like the whole Red Dead thing being a Capcom property at first.

And I would love a sequel if Jack Kelso was the main protagonist. But I sure fuckin hated Phelps.

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bicycleham
@MrKlorox said:

@Xolare said:

Well we can totally throw out that LA Noire sequel that everybody wanted right? OH WAIT

If Rockstar wanted to make another LA Noire, they'd buy the rights to the name. Kinda like the whole Red Dead thing being a Capcom property at first.

And I would love a sequel if Jack Kelso was the main protagonist. But I sure fuckin hated Phelps.

I actually wouldn't mind a more modern oriented LA Noire style of game. I'd really love to see more physical crime scene analytics than just sitting in front of a computer and going ENHANCE THAT IMAGE.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#12  Edited By Claude
CrimsonNoir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By CrimsonNoir
@MrKlorox said:

@Xolare said:

I think Rockstar already owns the LA Noire franchise since they published it and funded the game.
SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By SSully

That is a real shame. The game had its flaws, but it offered a unique experience, and was great for 80% of the time.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By coakroach

As much as I want to see Australian game development grow, Team Bondi was pretty fucked up

rawrnosaurous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By rawrnosaurous

Rockstar already owns the rights to LA Noir, just not the face animation technology that wasn't done by team bondi but a third party.

Dayewalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Dayewalker

@coakroach said:

As much as I want to see Australian game development grow, Team Bondi was pretty fucked up

Yeah definitely.

After reading a few articles about the making of LA Noire, it actually made me not even want to play the game.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By NekuSakuraba

I'm not sure about how they handled the development of the game or how they treated workers but what I do know is that not only was LA Noire a great game but it should of helped Australian game development grow.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By kingzetta

well 10 years to make a photo hunt game is not good business.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MrKlorox

@CrimsonNoir said:

@MrKlorox said:

@Xolare said:

I think Rockstar already owns the LA Noire franchise since they published it and funded the game.

I don't believe the details of their deal were made public. For all we know, Team Bondi might have gotten to keep the IP. However since they're liquidating their assets, I'm sure Rockstar would be the first one to swoop in and pick it up, if they don't already own it.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Akyho

When a company has its manager come out and say "Hey guys. We are soooooo close to releaseing if yous can put more hours so we can finish next week!" Next weeks rolls by "aww sorry guys we have pushed back. we know you put in alot of "UNPAID" hours into the last week...awww what a shame" They did that three or four times. They cracked the whip to get unpaid overtime. When it was a lie.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By Yanngc33

Rockstar never wanted to support them, they were bound to close down

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Dany

@Yanngc33 said:

Rockstar came in wanting to buy them and to have a Rockstar Sydney studio. No amount of money and rockstar staff going to Team Bondi to finish the game would have been enough if there were not flaws within Team Bondi's studio. Don't forget this game was Sony Published and backed before they lost interest in this project ever happening.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#24  Edited By Hailinel

@Dany said:

@Yanngc33 said:

Rockstar came in wanting to buy them and to have a Rockstar Sydney studio. No amount of money and rockstar staff going to Team Bondi to get the project rolling to completion would have been enough if their were flaws within Team Bondi's studio. Don't forget this game was Sony Published and backed before they lost interest in this project ever happening.

Pretty much this. Rockstar did have a vested interest in Team Bondi. The problem, however, was that Team Bondi was a total clusterfuck of an organization.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By Yanngc33

@Hailinel said:

@Dany said:

@Yanngc33 said:

Rockstar came in wanting to buy them and to have a Rockstar Sydney studio. No amount of money and rockstar staff going to Team Bondi to get the project rolling to completion would have been enough if their were flaws within Team Bondi's studio. Don't forget this game was Sony Published and backed before they lost interest in this project ever happening.

Pretty much this. Rockstar did have a vested interest in Team Bondi. The problem, however, was that Team Bondi was a total clusterfuck of an organization.

You'd think Rockstar would've checked this before backing them up...