#1 Posted by Demoskinos (15148 posts) -

So I was reading this article about a survey that says that over half of Americans feel anxiety when they are separated from their tech devices like phones, tablets etc.... So, my question is... do you have this anxiety and if you do how bad is it? I feel bad but I gotta fess up anytime I lose access to the internet or leave my phone at home when I go to work or something instant anxiety sets in. I feel really shallow sometimes because of this because I know its really stupid but I also end up using my phone non-stop. For everything from checking the weather to browsing the GB forums at lunch break at work. The amount I casually use it through the day us usually lost on me until I don't have it then realize nope... can't do that... or do that... or that... So, what about all of you?

#2 Edited by matthias2437 (985 posts) -

I don't have anxiety just from being away from technology but like if friend is holding my phone sometimes I get a little anxiety just because if it's a guy I'm sure they are probably tweeting horrible things and if it's a girl I'm sure that one of my ass hole friends is going to text me something horrible and she will see it.

#3 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -

No, but I do find that I get pretty bored if my internet goes down and I don't have anything else going on at the moment.

#4 Edited by Chop (1998 posts) -

I definitely get that in relations to internet. When my internet goes down, I sit around constantly f5ing and resetting my router until it's back up.

#5 Posted by laserbolts (5365 posts) -

Damn that sounds horrible. I have no real attachment to any pieces of technology like that. I never have my phone out and the only time I use the internet is when i'm home on my computer. It's pretty sad to see how people are way more antisocial in real life these days. Instead of talking to each other they just sit around with their faces in their phones tweeting or whatever.

#6 Posted by mosespippy (4448 posts) -

One summer I had a job in a region that only had access to dial up internet. I basically spent that summer offline. Over the course of the summer I ended up in the ER twice with chest pains. It could have been anxiety or stress like the doctors said but another contributing factor could have been my sudden drop in active lifestyle paired with my sudden increase in fatty and deep fried foods. I changed my diet around the same time that I started using the dial up more and I got better so it's hard to determine what was causing the problem.

#7 Posted by believer258 (12189 posts) -

Whenever I ask myself a question that I cannot think of the answer to, I have a thought to Google for it. However, if for some reason I cannot Google for it at the moment I don't worry about it. Otherwise, I don't worry about technology when it isn't within reach.

Benefits of hardly ever texting or getting on the internet outside of my home or school library? Probably so! The bigger issue might be that I have an undying urge to get on GiantBomb whenever I sit down to a computer. This creates quite an issue when I'm trying to write an essay or something and GiantBomb is constantly in the back of my head.

#8 Posted by crajon (21 posts) -

I'm a addicted to my tech, every morning first thing I do is read twitter on my phone and if my internet goes done I have literally nothing to do.

#9 Posted by Jimbo (9993 posts) -

Kinda, but it's more of a 'social contact' anxiety. Once you get used to the ability to contact (or be contacted by) anybody, anywhere, instantly, it can be quite disconcerting if you suddenly lose that ability.

#10 Posted by Chop (1998 posts) -

@believer258 said:

The bigger issue might be that I have an undying urge to get on GiantBomb whenever I sit down to a computer. This creates quite an issue when I'm trying to write an essay or something and GiantBomb is constantly in the back of my head.

I do this as well. No matter what I'm doing on the computer, I end up loading Giant Bomb up at least every 20 mins or so...

#11 Posted by Demoskinos (15148 posts) -

@laserbolts said:

Damn that sounds horrible. I have no real attachment to any pieces of technology like that. I never have my phone out and the only time I use the internet is when i'm home on my computer. It's pretty sad to see how people are way more antisocial in real life these days. Instead of talking to each other they just sit around with their faces in their phones tweeting or whatever.

Its more of not being able to talk to people I want to. The dawn of social media and the internet has changed the social dynamic of how we form relationships. I have people I've never met that I would consider good friends. I mean we've even shared deeply personal things with each other. Its really odd but at the same time amazing that I can be in constant contact with people from around the globe with a device that sits in my pocket. If anything its made me more social and able to connect with people that have like interests.