• 92 results
raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By raven_squad

I'm from L.A., California. Words cannot express what a shithole this city is, and how much I wish I lived in a city with a little culture and class. Well, better culture that is. 

ShadowKiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By ShadowKiller

I live in a small villiage in Newfoundland, Canada. Not a lot of distinguishing things around there though.

ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53  Edited By ZeroCast

Well, I'm probably the only one from the Middle East here but hey, we are all in it for gaming right?

I live in Amman, Jordan, a place that have lived in for 10 years. Jordan has a lake called The Dead Sea, which is the lowest point on the surface of Earth on dry land, we also have the magnificent Petra, one of New Seven Wonders of the World and in the Capital itself, one of the oldest Romanian Theaters that trail back to Marcus Aurelius.

Here is a couple of Pics:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#54  Edited By AgentJ

Hrm, i didnt know that the Middle East got so much snow. BTW i voted for Petra in the 7nw contest.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Godwind

Town: Bellmore, Ny.
Population Size: about 40,000 people

Filled with rich pricks and snobby assholes.  At least we have a Wikipedia page.

Here are the notable Alumni of my School.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_F._Kennedy_High_School_(Bellmore)#Notable_alumni

Also, another boring fact.  Amy Fisher was having sex with Joey Buttafuoco at the end my block.

ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By ZeroCast
AgentJ said:
"Hrm, i didnt know that the Middle East got so much snow. BTW i voted for Petra in the 7nw contest."
That's great to hear, Petra is much more astonishing when seen through the Naked Eye. You should consider paying us a visit once, you'll really enjoy your time here :D.

Also, The Middle East is not none for snow mainly because of it's desert kind of land, but here in Jordan, we experince all 4 season, and right  now, it's kind of alternating between Cold and Hot, 20-25C, best describe as Spring i presume.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#57  Edited By AgentJ
ZeroCast said:
That's great to hear, Petra is much more astonishing when seen through the Naked Eye. You should consider paying us a visit once, you'll really enjoy your time here :D.Also, The Middle East is not none for snow mainly because of it's desert kind of land, but here in Jordan, we experince all 4 season, and right  now, it's kind of alternating between Cold and Hot, 20-25C, best describe as Spring i presume."
I most definately plan on checking that reigon out someday. I've been to northern europe twice, south america once, and Japan once, so I still need to check out the middle-east, southern asia, Australia Africa, and Antarctica.
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Linkyshinks

Little Venice in London, It's lovely part of town with  friendly people.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
It' s very pretty during summer.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for daniel_danny2014
Daniel_danny2014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Daniel_danny2014
No Caption Provided

I live in Campinas, an important city in the state of São Paulo, Brazil. It offers almost everything cities like São Paulo and other megacities offer, but it is smaller, with lots of trees, parks... One of the best universities in Brazil is located in Campinas. Well, this is the city where I live and I'm proud of it :-).

jamesyfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I live in Manchester, England.

Obviously it's famous for Manchester United, music and a lot of inventions and scientific breakthroughs were devised here.

I live about 8 miles from the centre, it's nowhere near as built up or as cramped as the city is, but I do like living here.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I live in Hell.

A very hot and dark evil place.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I live in Hell.

A very hot and dark evil place.

So you live in the southeast U.S. too huh?

FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I'm from Fargo, ND. So far they've made a 100% accurate movie about our town, and shortly a TV series on FXX. Feel free to enter my world by catching up on the movie now, and show next week.

I'm kind of a big deal here.

helvetica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By helvetica

I'm in Michigan and live 15 minutes north of Ann Arbor. Ann Arbor is pretty great, we had the hash bash last weekend and we used to have the naked mile until we had too many prevettos. I went to the University of Michigan and saw my freshman mentor running that mile. Good times. The University is a huge presence, which is nice because there's always something going on, and the town itself has an artsy feel. Also the squirrels here are soooo chubby. If anyone's ever in the area let me know and we can roll down to Arbor Brewing Co. for good beer.

No Caption Provided

donkeycow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Toronto, Canada. It's basically the quintessential North American city, you can pretty much do or see anything here barring exposure to nature (although the Don Valley forms a nice line of greenery down the centre of town) and anything of historical relevance. It is not the most unique city, or the prettiest, but if you're in Toronto and don't have anything to do, that is a short coming on your part, not the city's. I would say it's a nice place to live, but property prices are ungodly high for anything half decent which makes it a city well situated for the wealthy but difficult for everyone else.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#66  Edited By Justin258

I am from Gaston County, North Carolina, which borders Charlotte, one of the biggest cities in North Carolina. I say that it borders Charlotte because there's not really all that much here. It's not really the middle of nowhere, but we have no big cities, no big buildings, no big events, no big stores. Things like that are within a reasonable driving distance (about an hour) but there's not much to do in Gaston County itself.

It isn't hell, but I'd definitely like to move somewhere else eventually. I don't really have a clue where, but I don't want to stay here. Sometimes it feels like everybody except me is halfway to becoming a Puritan and a lot of people watch Fox News. So... yeah. Good people. Couldn't convince them that the sky was blue if a persuasive preacher said it was red.

EDIT: Also, to our south is the border to South Carolina, worth mentioning because it seems more interesting down there than it does up here.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

This is probably the oldest necro I've seen on the site in a while. At least it's a timeless OP unlike most necros.

Anyway, I live in Austin, TX. I'm sure you've heard of it because not only is their an indie scene here (games, movies, and music) but there is also a lot of festivals and a University. There's also a big thriving tech field out here. Probably the most famous thing I can currently think of that is here every year is SXSW (south by south west) but there's probably something else I am forgetting too.

It's actually gotten fairly popular over the last 5 years and a lot of people seem to be moving here for whatever reason. Maybe my house will be worth a lot some day because of the growth- I don't know. It's fun to think about for some reason.

I don't have any pictures of it, but we have one of those kinds of downtowns that isn't huge but has a lot of old buildings that have probably been around since the old west.

Dimi3je

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Dimi3je

Well, this feels a bit awkward, being the first one here from the Balkans.

I'm from Belgrade. I'm not going to go into writing about the town itself since there is A LOT to write about. It has a long (prehistoric) history, awesome nightlife, an interesting art scene among other things. The wiki page skims it pretty nicely. It's one of the biggest (if not the biggest, not sure) cities in the Balkans. It's the center of Serbia in more or less everything.

Living here definitely has it's pros and cons, but I feel there are a couple of prose more. A lot o travelers have been coming through in the past decade, and the majority of them have really liked the place.

If any of you duders ever comes by this part of the world, gimme a hollar.

Unilad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Unilad

Clapham Common, London.

Not sure this one needs an explanation.

DannyHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By DannyHibiki
@lamegame621 said:

I'm so jealous. I leave in a flat little town on the gulf of Texas...we have drugs and teenage pregnancy? 0_0

You in Clute or Freeport? Ha ha :D

@cornbredx

I live in Austin, TX too and you've summed it up pretty well. Food is top notch no matter what you feel like spending. All the events going on are great; always something to see, and haven't found myself bored on a weekend since I've lived here. It is starting to get pretty dang crowded though.

My faves:

Hamilton Pool - Actually a collapsed cave with a small beach

Loading Video...

Pinballz Arcade - The largest arcade in Texas. Tons of pins and a nice assortment of other retro and modern machines. Plus, BYOB!

Loading Video...

Avatar image for giantlizardking
GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By GiantLizardKing

The beautiful Kansas City is me front lawn.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Home to the world's greatest BBQ (Suck it Memphis, Carolinas and Texas)

No Caption Provided

The world's fastest internet

No Caption Provided

And the world's Tench n9ne-iest rapper

No Caption Provided

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#72  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

San Antonio, Texas, is very meh. Its fine, with many malls to choose from you don't wanna go to.

The Spurs is what most people talk about, when they have to small-talk for five minutes. When they lose, "Its whatever," but when they win, no one cares. Its not so great..

No Caption Provided

The best thing we have is the Texas beer, I think.

And every once in a while, going to Austin, or San Marcos for one reason in another is pretty fun.

Demmetje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Demmetje

I grew up in a little town in The Netherlands which is located a couple of meters below sea level. (Yay for dykes!) But three to four years ago I moved to Amsterdam, in my opinion the most beautiful city of the country. Granted, that's not saying a lot.

No Caption Provided

While my university is located in these parts, I actually live in one of these:

No Caption Provided

Well, it's cheap and I'm in the city centre in about 15 minutes. It does the job.

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Shortbreadtom

Basel, Switzerland. Famous for basically nothing, but we do have some nice-ish old buildings and nice-ish new buildings.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@get2sammyb: weird! I sang in that Cathedral when I was 9 or 10. At a Maundy service. I live in Hackney, London. It's very trendy and full of graffiti, people with funny hair cuts who look like they might be wearing fancy dress, I can't tell. For American listeners Hackney is the Brooklyn of London.

behardy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By behardy

Fremont,California. aka the OG Hollywood! Home of Charlie Chaplin.

No Caption Provided

Also, the safest city in the San Francisco Bay Area and one of the safest cities in America.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#77  Edited By Hunter5024

I live in Tucson Arizona, in the United States. Our distinguishing features are being the crash site for an alien meteor in Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, having the dumbest hot dogs in America, being the butt of several Hamlet 2, Family Guy, and American Dad jokes, and Apocalyptic Sunsets.

No Caption Provided

The thing we are proudest of is not being as hot as Phoenix (although still being insanely hot).

Arizona Fun Facts

• We're all secretly jealous that Breaking Bad was set in New Mexico instead of Arizona.
  • Our state is so unimpressive that we have to brag about a really big hole in the ground.
  • We are the newest continental state, and we're secretly a little peeved that Hawaii and Alaska stole our thunder.
  • We've got all the copper you need.
  • Greg Kinnear went to the same college as me.
  • We can take credit for Emma Stone.
Mechanical_Ape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Mechanical_Ape

@hunter5024: Yeah, that video is the perfect way to sum up Phoenix. In fact, you know you've lived here too long when you start to think that 111 isn't really that hot.

I live in Mesa, Arizona, which is just outside of Phoenix. Not far from my house are the Superstition Mountains which, according to legends, either has a hidden gold mine in it or is the gateway to hell.

No Caption Provided

Despite being one of the biggest cities in the US, most people probably don't know much about it unless you're over the age of 65 and live in Canada, in which case you probably come here every winter. We also have haboobs (which are even dirtier than the name sounds). There was also a POW camp for Nazis nearby during World War II. There was only one escape attempt and most of them turned themselves back in after deciding that a prison camp was better than Phoenix.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

RageExpressive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm from Cookstown, Co Tyrone, Northern Ireland. We're famous for our long street (the longest and widest main street in Ireland), our George Best approved sausages and for having the most radioactive sheep in the world.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Sinusoidal

I live in Chungju, South Korea.

It's the 47th biggest city in South Korea with a paltry population of 200'000 or so.

We've got the biggest lake in Korea:

No Caption Provided

An annual, international martial arts festival:

No Caption Provided

And Jungang Tower, about five minutes outside of town, which marks the geographical center of South Korea:

No Caption Provided

Chungju hosted the 2013 rowing championships on which they blew a whole lot of money and thus my section of town didn't get hooked up to city gas yet and my heating bill was bullshit this past winter. We have a notoriously corrupt and inept local government.

Korean cities generally feel like a western city that has a tenth of the population. In my city of 200'000 we have one MacDonald's, and it's new. The old one went out of business a while back. Foreign food restaurants are virtually non-existent here short of some shitty fusion/Italian restaurants.

Our lone video game store went out of business a couple years back. The owner made most of his money farming stuff in MMOs and selling it online anyway. There are PC bangs (rooms) on every corner where you can go and play any number of computer games for about a buck an hour. Just about anyone off the street will absolutely murder you in Starcraft. We still have a couple of arcades in town that mostly feature fighting games, rhythm games and weird Japanese shit. The Tengen version of Tetris is ubiquitous in these places, perpetually blaring its awesome pseudo-Russian bleeps. There are kids on the fighting game cabinets who can press buttons faster than the eye can see. Tekken is more popular than Street Fighter. Oh yeah, there's one Playstation Room left in town, but I've never been. Apparently it's mostly people playing the latest iteration of Fifa.

tatsuyarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I live in Strasbourg, France. Seat of the European Parliament and other European institutions, it's also famous for its almost cathedral and that's also the place where Gutenberg created the first European moveable type printing press according to Wikipedia.

The first seconds of the most recent Sherlock Holmes movie has been shot in Strasbourg.

I'm sure this city is also famous for a lot of other things but I will let you read its Wikipedia page if you are interested.

Avatar image for kqedequalsvolvo
kqedequalsvolvo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By kqedequalsvolvo

@leebmx said:

@get2sammyb: weird! I sang in that Cathedral when I was 9 or 10. At a Maundy service. I live in Hackney, London. It's very trendy and full of graffiti, people with funny hair cuts who look like they might be wearing fancy dress, I can't tell. For American listeners Hackney is the Brooklyn of London.

Yeah I'm in Bow/edge of Bethnal Green so very similar area. Girlfriend grew up/lives in Dalston so I'm in Hackney a lot. Essentially a working class area of East London that is slowly being gentrified, first by students and then by young professionals and so on (partly because of the Olympic-related developments knocking up property prices etc etc). I really like living here - it's convenient for work, far enough away from all the 'trendy' stuff for it not to be too hectic whilst not being far enough out to not miss out on nights out and places to go. There's a decent sense of community and there's a massive mix of cultures. There's a really interesting local history, particularly in terms of community anti-racist/anti-fascist activity over the years. Great local markets, canals and parks, friends nearby, good pubs, good offies...can't complain.

Brooklyn is a very good comparison for the hipper bits of inner East London (Dalston, Shoreditch, Hoxton etc.). A little further out it's quite similar to maybe Oakland in the Bay Area - in terms of the changes taking place to the area rather than aesthetically.

Victoria Park (Bow/South Hackney)

Roman Road Market (Bow)

Battle of Cable Street mural (Shadwell)

deadmoscow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Gotta love when five-year old threads get bumped up from the absolute depths of the forums.

I live in Indianapolis, Indiana. The city has a population of about 820,000, with many more in the larger metropolitan area. We're known for a few things, notably the Indianapolis 500, which is the largest single-day sporting event in the world. We've got an NFL and an NBA team, as well as a AAA baseball team. There's not a huge amount of unique culture here, which is unfortunate. We have the third most fast food restaurants per capita in the US, which probably contributes to our high obesity rates.

There are a couple of neat things about the city. We've hosted GenCon since 2003, which is the largest tabletop / card / RPG game convention in the country. Kurt Vonnegut, one of the greatest novelists of the 20th century, is from Indianapolis. Cost of living is super cheap here - the median rental price is only $692, far below the national average.

Unfortunately, the weather is completely bonkers for some reason. The winters are brutally cold - we had a four day span of -50° weather this January, and the summers can be extremely hot as well. I'd like to move somewhere with a more temperate climate once I finish my master's degree.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By beforet

I'm living in New Paltz, New York. There's mountains, a campus, and if you sniff hard enough you can catch the leftover fumes of Woodstock

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

I don't know if there's a whole lot of history to the place, but the area is beautiful, and the town has got a good vibe to it, plus it's not too large. The college has served me well, though it's heavy on the liberal arts, which makes little old compsci me feel a bit out of place at times.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

I live in Austin, TX, a place that used to be great. Granted, it's still one of the best "big cities", but it's going downhill fast. Over the past few years, we've gotten a ridiculous number of transplants from California and the Northeast. Basically, all the states that have failed or are failing have had an exodus of their residents into my hometown. Many are bringing their problems with them, and the ones who aren't are still a problem with their mere presence because the city doesn't have the infrastructure to handle the population explosion. The traffic system could not possibly be more poorly designed, and the city's priority is not fixing it, it's building useless toll roads 30 minutes outside the city and kowtowing to the cyclist mafia here who demand bike lanes on every already overtaxed street. Moreover, the city's dream is to stuff every weekend with some tourist event to make things even more of a clusterf*** than they already are. It's gotten to the point where I've become a recluse of sorts (hello videogames) because it's simply too much of a beating to go try and do anything.

Of late, I've at least found a silver lining in profiting off this nonsense. I rent my place out via airbnb for most of the events like SXSW, ACL, F1, et al. and make some serious coin doing so. At some point, I'm really going to get sick of living here at all and probably move to the sticks, keeping the existing property as a rental. I digress. Austin has terrific food, the weather is good, the job market is as strong as anywhere (I've got a good one that keeps me here for now), and there's plenty of activities to do. That is, if you think they're worth fighting the crowds for. For example, I finally made it out to COTA for the first time this past weekend because it's previously been too much of a hassle. These days, I'm kinda over that shit. I honestly have more fun coming home, making some dinner in peace, and getting in some late-night videogaming. I imagine that's what binds us all on here, regardless of locale.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I live right outside Philadelphia, PA. A quiet nice little working class town. Last month a state trooper shot his pregnant wife in the head right across the street from me.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@notnert427: I was just gonna say that about my hometown!! Maybe we're not that happy with where we live, simple as that (actually it's not simple at all)

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By mikeeegeee
No Caption Provided

Omaha, Nebraska! So many of you have such beautiful scenery around you. While I've come to really find a sense of beauty and belonging in the plains, nothing compares to the massive hills, valleys, mountains and lakes so many of you enjoy.

Just a few miles out of the city and you find endless fields. They aren't much on their own, but just about any sort of weather makes them magical.

No Caption Provided

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@mechanical_ape: I was born in Mesa! Yeah if 111 is the worst it gets that summer, that was a pretty mild summer.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jamesyfx: MANCHESTER REPRESENT!

I mean, technically I'm from Salford, but it might as well be the same place.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

I'm from London, but that's not really specific enough, and I won't bore you by posting a ton of London photos that people have already seen. So instead, I'll tell you a little about where I live within London.

I was born, raised, and live in Forest Hill, in the London Borough of Lewisham. It's not really a London suburb, since we are very close to Central London and the area is fairly built up, but it's still a lot greener and quieter than Central London. This is the only home I've ever known, and I like it just fine. Not much to say about it, really. But here's some random facts:

• There's a museum near Forest Hill Station called Horniman Museum, named for it's founder, Frederick Horniman, a Victorian tea merchant. It has one of the largest collections of taxidermy in the Northern Hemisphere, and one of the finest collections of musical instruments in the UK. The gardens are especially beautiful, with a view of the rest of London, and a few years ago they added an aquarium.
  • Forest Hill Pools, a swimming pool and leisure centre, was the last Victorian swimming baths in operation in London; it opened in 1884 and finally closed in 2006. A new modern leisure centre with a gym and two swimming pools was built on the old site and opened in 2012. It's next to Forest Hill Library, a Grade II listed building, which opened in 1901.
  • Lewisham Borough is the most ethnically diverse borough in London, with only 53% of people of White European origin, according to 2011 census data. The two major ethnic minorities are Black African (11.6%) and Black Caribbean (11.2%).
  • The Crystal Palace was a huge glass building originally erected in Hyde Park, London, in 1851 to house The Great Exhibition, a precursor to the World's Fair. After the Great Exhibition, the structure was rebuilt and expanded at Penge Common in Sydenham, the town next to Forest Hill, where it remained until it burnt to the ground in 1936.
  • Crystal Palace Park, which includes an area with full-scale dinosaur models, remains, as does Crystal Palace National Sports Centre, which houses a 16,000-seat athletics stadium and an Olympic-size swimming pool. This is where I learnt to swim, played tennis, and trampolined when I was a child.
  • Millwall F.C. is the only Football League side that plays in Lewisham; they are currently in the second-tier of English football. They've not had much success in their 128-year history, but they played in the FA Cup Final in 2004. The club is notorious for its fans, who are closely associated with the history of English football hooliganism and violence, and Millwall fans have been involved in two major football riots in the past 30 years.
  • I went to secondary school (high school) at Alleyn's School in the neighbouring town of Dulwich, where my father lived for more than a decade. Alleyn's traces its history to a school built in 1619, and its alumni includes actor Jude Law, Bob Geldof's daughter, Pixie (not the one that tragically died recently), and Florence Welch of Florence and the Machine.