#1 Edited by Fajita_Jim (1463 posts) -

Anyone else watch it? What did you think?

For a network SciFi it had pretty good production values, I just wish the script wasn't so full of Mary-Sues. I mean, what are the chances that a husband-and-wife would both be working and riding alongside the man-in-charge on their first freaking day there? It's like as soon as they get there, they become the most well-equipped (in terms of skills) and important persons there.

Also, the whole Dad/Son drama seemed a bit cliched. 

But it's network TV, what do you want? I'll probably try to watch it through the first season just to see how it pans out, but I haven't made it through the first season of anything in years.

#2 Posted by Duskwind (141 posts) -

I missed it. Did anyone get eaten by dinosaurs?

#3 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5117 posts) -

@Fajita_Jim said:

But it's network TV, what do you want?

Quality?

#4 Posted by TheHT (10891 posts) -

I enjoyed it. The sappy moments feel forced and incredibly cliche, and some of the foreboding is shoved in your face, but it's interesting enough and the production quality's great.

#5 Posted by blueduck (964 posts) -

It's bad.

#6 Posted by Fajita_Jim (1463 posts) -
@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Fajita_Jim said:

Quality?

Hahaha *snort* hahahahaha.

Srsly?
#7 Posted by Fajita_Jim (1463 posts) -
@Duskwind said:

I missed it. Did anyone get eaten by dinosaurs?

Just one guy as far as I could tell. A few people got gnawed on, though.
#8 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5117 posts) -

@Fajita_Jim said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Fajita_Jim said:

Quality?

Hahaha *snort* hahahahaha. Srsly?

Yeah.

#9 Edited by Fajita_Jim (1463 posts) -
@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Fajita_Jim said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Fajita_Jim said:

Quality?

Yeah.

Sorry, I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to what I watch. This is honestly the first time my TV has been on for something that isn't news since I tried watching The Cape (ugh). 

When I think of 'Quality TV' I think of shit like HBOs Rome, Deadwood and Band of Brothers, etc. Was thinking of checking out The Playboy Club but Terra Nova showed over its time slot so meh.
#10 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5117 posts) -

@Fajita_Jim said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Fajita_Jim said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Fajita_Jim said:

Quality?

Yeah.

Sorry, I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to what I watch. This is honestly the first time my TV has been on for something that isn't news since I tried watching The Cape (ugh).

When I think of 'Quality TV' I think of shit like HBOs Rome, Deadwood and Band of Brothers, etc. Was thinking of checking out The Playboy Club but Terra Nova showed over its time slot so meh.

I meant I want quality out of all things including network tv and if not I don't watch it.

#11 Posted by Fajita_Jim (1463 posts) -
@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Fajita_Jim said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Fajita_Jim said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Fajita_Jim said:

Quality?

Yeah.

I meant I want quality out of all things including network tv and if not I don't watch it.

Okay, got ya. I thought you were insisting that network TV was quality TV. lol.
#12 Posted by Subjugation (4718 posts) -

Dinosaurs = instant gold, man.

Instant gold
#13 Posted by Veektarius (4601 posts) -

@Subjugation: Instant Gold-blum?

#14 Posted by mylifeforAiur (3482 posts) -

Oh, that's the dinosaur show, right? I guess I'll check it simply because it has dinosaurs, but I got burnt pretty bad by Falling Skies -- a show that I couldn't stand to watch past the premier. I'll check it out and get back to you.

#15 Posted by Elusionar (309 posts) -

The 2 hours episode was decent beside, there is so little sci-fi now that the sci-fi channel as gone the cooking show way that this show should do well.

#16 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

I'd rather just watch a new Breaking Bad twice.

#17 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

it seemed good so far. i fell asleep when it was on. from what i saw it looked good. 

also since we are talking about we're talking about tv shows, how about two and half men. i think the show is horrible without charlie sheen. second episode aired. it's on mondays at 9pm eastern time.

#18 Edited by Fajita_Jim (1463 posts) -
@Elusionar said:

The 2 hours episode was decent beside, there is so little sci-fi now that the sci-fi channel as gone the cooking show way that this show should do well.

Yeah, I know, right? Does SciFi...err...SyFy even know that Syf is slang for Syphilis?  I've been waiting for a good new SciFi show and Terra Nova isn't it, but it's alright enough to watch so far. Could go downhill fast, though.
#19 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

@Fajita_Jim said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Fajita_Jim said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Fajita_Jim said:

Quality?

Yeah.

Rome isn't quality, Rome is salacious shit and HBO produces its fair share of that too, might I point out Entourage? At least shows like Spartacus don't pretend to be high drama.

#20 Edited by Fajita_Jim (1463 posts) -
@iam3green said:

it seemed good so far. i fell asleep when it was on. from what i saw it looked good.   also since we are talking about we're talking about tv shows, how about two and half men. i think the show is horrible without charlie sheen. second episode aired. it's on mondays at 9pm eastern time.

I never could get into sitcoms. I blame my parents sitting me in front of ABCs 'TGIF' lineup. Ugh.

Besides, laugh tracks make me throw shit at the TV.
#21 Posted by Fajita_Jim (1463 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow said:

@Fajita_Jim said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Fajita_Jim said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Fajita_Jim said:

Quality?

Yeah.

Rome isn't quality, Rome is salacious shit and HBO produces its fair share of that too, might I point out Entourage? At least shows like Spartacus don't pretend to be high drama.

I rather enjoyed Rome. Ciarán Hinds played an...interesting Caesar.
#22 Posted by Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto (592 posts) -

DID ANYONE GET FUCKING EATEN BY A DINOSAUR OR NOT!?!?!?!?

#23 Posted by ack (136 posts) -

are you saying you didnt like boy meets world

#24 Posted by PenguinDust (12450 posts) -

I missed it (completely forgot it was on) but if you live in the US, it's up on Hulu for viewing.

#25 Edited by Meowshi (2911 posts) -

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Fajita_Jim said:

Quality?

I have to agree. Basic cable is great nowadays. Channels like FX and AMC are producing some of the best entertainment out, even when compared to big budget movies and premium cable channels. There are too many amazing shows on television to still be throwing around the old, "Well, it's just basic cable!" excuse. It no longer flies.

To me, this show looked like it was trying to go for the Fallen Skies and V demographics. I liked both of those shows (somewhat), so I'll make sure to DVR the pilot.

#26 Posted by Veektarius (4601 posts) -

I just have one question about the show - why did they go so far back that there are dinosaurs? This seems like an unnecessary risk. If they don't care about changing history, they should just travel back into the industrial revolution and offer their sage future advice to divert the course of energy development.

#27 Posted by Still_I_Cry (2494 posts) -

I'm too busy finishing Rome and Deadwood. After those i have to start on Dexter, Breaking Bad and Boardwalk Empire.

So many shows so little time.

#28 Posted by Jazzycola (662 posts) -

It was alright but honestly it's sorta bland. All the characters are so bland. There's the son who is pissed at his dad and won't do what he says, there's the dad who's trying to gain some semblance of family after being away for so long, there's the mom who's fighting choosing between blaming her husband or staying by his side, and there's an good guy who obviously is going to end up becoming a bad guy. It's just so bland so far. I'll give it another episode or two before I tune out but so far it's just ok. Not to mention the whole idea that if they have no clue where this 'fracture' ends up in time how do they know that the hundreds of people they've sent through aren't just dieing when they come out the other side because it's at the beginning of earth or before earth had an atmosphere.

#29 Posted by Fajita_Jim (1463 posts) -
@Jazzycola said:

It was alright but honestly it's sorta bland. All the characters are so bland. There's the son who is pissed at his dad and won't do what he says, there's the dad who's trying to gain some semblance of family after being away for so long, there's the mom who's fighting choosing between blaming her husband or staying by his side, and there's an good guy who obviously is going to end up becoming a bad guy. It's just so bland so far. I'll give it another episode or two before I tune out but so far it's just ok. Not to mention the whole idea that if they have no clue where this 'fracture' ends up in time how do they know that the hundreds of people they've sent through aren't just dieing when they come out the other side because it's at the beginning of earth or before earth had an atmosphere.

I think it had to do with that probe. I missed the last bit of that dialog because the phone rang. But yeah, I pretty much agree with everything you said.
#30 Posted by Fajita_Jim (1463 posts) -
@Veektarius said:

I just have one question about the show - why did they go so far back that there are dinosaurs? This seems like an unnecessary risk. If they don't care about changing history, they should just travel back into the industrial revolution and offer their sage future advice to divert the course of energy development.

I don't think they chose the time, it's just what happened to be on the other side of the rift. The rift was an accident of an experiment with another goal, not the intended result.
#31 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3787 posts) -

I missed it but I wanna give it a watch. Alex wrote about it on Screened, he seemed to think it had some issues but has some potential.

#32 Posted by Jazzycola (662 posts) -

@Fajita_Jim: Well they said that when they sent the probe, they thought they'd find it in the future/present but they never found the probe. So the scientists came up with the theory that the fracture takes you back in time but it's not the past they know anymore it's a new past(or their present). Sorta the same logic that happens in Back to the Future Part 2. You change the past but it doesn't change the future that you were in but rather it sends you off in a separate time tangent. So, as far as, we know at the moment the future doesn't know where the fracture in time leads.