• 73 results
Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Lashe

Didn't see mention of this on the forums after a wee search, so apologies if this is a repeat post. The top men over at Tested just pushed out a great update to their site, refining all the new content they've produced over the year with Adam, Jamie et al into a navigable, attractive website which to me harkens back a little to the Whiskey days.

Norm posted up a nice little reintroduction to Tested:

At this year’s XOXO conference, which Adam and Will attended, we described Tested as place to discover the things that we--Jamie, Adam, Will, and I--think are awesome. And while that’s technically true, we owe it to you to be more specific. So after thinking about it more, here’s what I think best describes who we are: Tested is a place to explore in depth stories in technology, food, art, and science. Where those topics cross over and mingle, though, is what really excites us. The intersection of food and technology, or science and art, or better yet, all of the above is what piques our curiosity. We are interdisciplinary nerds.

View the full article here.

It will be interesting to see how they develop going forward with this refined direction in mind. As much as the Whiskey split sucked at the time, those guys have been putting out some amazing content over there with their longer form features and interviews. If you haven't checked them out at all / recently, now's a great time to jump back in.

Also, this:

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By MetalGearSunny

It looks great, but it's still gross that it still says Jamie and Adam's Tested.

CoverlessTech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By CoverlessTech

@MetalGearSunny said:

It looks great, but it's still gross that it still says Jamie and Adam's Tested.

They bought it... There is a gamespot logo at the bottom of Giant Bomb. Personally I'd take Jamie and Adam branding over gamespot branding any day, especially now that you can change that header image.

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Lashe

@MetalGearSunny: I think if it gives the guys the weight they need to get filming some really cool features then it isn't such a bad thing.

Avatar image for johnstonthistle
JohnstonThistle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JohnstonThistle

And this confirms I still have no interest in Tested, what a waste of Internet space.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By joshthebear

I'm glad to see tested getting back to normal, although the giant Jamie and Adam picture at the top still weirds me out.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MetalGearSunny
@CoverlessTech Yeah, but the notion that Tested is now Jamie and Adam's site is terrible. Giant Bomb is part of CBSi, that GS logo is also on Twitch.TV. It's at the bottom of the page and it makes sense to have it there.
Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Lashe

@joshthebear: If you have a user account, hit the retro Tested icon next to Facebook at the top. Sorted!

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MetalGearSunny

Oh, you can change it? I missed that. I guess that's okay.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By joshthebear

@Lashe: Nice, didn't even see that.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Bollard

New Tested is starting to make more sense. I still miss the tech focus and the Lego, but they put out good stuff, and it seems to have a direction now. Hopefully the forums stop being dead.

sungahymn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By sungahymn

Seems like a good time to properly check out the site.

Master_Funk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Master_Funk

I love Will and Norm, but I don't really care about their visit to the air and space museum, or how planetariums work. Consumer technology is what I want to hear about, so I am not interested in their other stories, to be honest.

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By excast

I'm not a big tech guy, so I rarely visited tested when they were a part of Whiskey Media even though I find the two of them entertaining.  That being said, I love the new direction for the site and the connection with Adam especially.  

I' thing a lot of people were worried that Will and Norm were going to get pushed to the side, but that couldn't be farther from the truth.  The site has blossomed with a lot of new, interesting content that covers so many different topics.  And it has been great to see Adam dive into the site and contribute time for regular podcasts and other content.

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Rattle618

Thanks for the update, but I´ve not visited tested in ages. I still cannot get over the fact that those two celebs hijacked tested and just slapped their name over it. I was never a regular over there, but that shit is nuts.

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By excast
@Rattle618 said:

Thanks for the update, but I´ve not visited tested in ages. I still cannot get over the fact that those two celebs hijacked tested and just slapped their name over it. I was never a regular over there, but that shit is nuts.

I realize it may have looked bad at first, but it hasn't really been like that at all.  Having the names of the Mythbusters at the top just give's the site more name recognition and helps to open doors that likely would have been closed before.  Adam has been a big addition to the site and has a weekly podcast feature with Will and Norm.  He seems to fit right in and in my opinion the site has never been better.
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By crusader8463

They are apparently fine with it, but I still dislike the Jamie and Adam's names being plastered all over the site when they rarely have anything on there. Adam does that mini podcast thing, but they are never interesting so I just tune them out. Only thing on tested I care for are the podcasts, and even those are hit or miss for me as of late.

Anyhow, the design itself is fine, I think it's funny that they "upgraded" to what GB has now just as GB is about to get rid of it, but it has glitched out for myself and other to where all the text is smooshed together making all the buttons unusable.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By nightriff

At least it is easier to look at but to be honest I haven't visited the site in months. I liked with they just dealt in electronics and technology, half the stuff on the site isn't interesting. But hey, if they are successful I'm happy for them, I miss Will Smith interacting with the GB crew every now and again saying imaginary words and stuff, he's great.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

Design looks fine, haven't looked too deep into it but aesthetically it looks okay.

I just don't have any interest in smart phones or the amount of smart phone stuff they used to cover, so I only visited a few times in a week. When they added writers like Wesley I started getting interested again, since they were good writers and it allowed for more content that interested me to get pushed more often.

Their videos have always been great, their podcast (minus the Adam one, which is kind of dull for the most part) has always been great, etc. Everything they've done with the high-speed camera has been perfect.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Andorski

Overall their content has been better since the buyout, but they were seen as solely a tech site for so long that the change in direction has lost a good portion of their audience. Also, it doesn't seem like having the Mythbusters brand has added any visibility to their site. Their Alexa ranking is extremely low.

Oh well. Hopefully they have found some business model that lets them keep doing what they do with such a low viewership.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mordukai

@MetalGearSunny said:

They are using it more for exposure. More people are more likely to end up on the site because of them. Norm and Will know it and are fine with it.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Oldirtybearon

At first I thought calling it "Jamie and Adam's Tested" was kinda weird, but after months and months of this site being around, Adam Savage has really contributed to it. He posts articles and shows up to talk with Will and Norm and in general participates with the site. I don't see the problem considering how hands on at least Adam has been.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By I_smell

Boooooo MythBusters! Adam Savage does plenty of stuff on the site, but still boo I'm not over it.
It actually doesn't load for me, except the logo. No I'm not joking.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#24  Edited By Kidavenger
No Caption Provided

Chrome, Windows 8 1920*1080

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25  Edited By Ben_H

Do remember they brought back all of their tech writers with the redesign, so there should be an increase in tech-related articles now. They actually have more writers now, though they did lose Loyd Case, but that is because he is now a head dude at PCWorld, but they have other writers to make up for it.

renmckormack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By renmckormack

I am glad that the site no longer looks like a trash fire. I agree that Jamie and Adam ( Berman Braun) bought the site and they can market it how they want. Its just confusing for the non-hardcore tested fans right. It actually doesn't get them the fan base of myth busters because those guys are never on the website. If anything it confuses those people. Will and Norm are marketable bros in the enthusiast tech world. Just call it Tested. Also those "podcast" with Adam or whatever are terrible. Its basically like Will and Norm interviewing him as opposed to a podcast.

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By stinky

looks great but i hate responsive design.  it sucks. 

let me make a little more room for my desktop... oh shit now the site is transforming and the video is too small.

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#28  Edited By bibamatt

@Kidavenger: A shift+F5 fixed that for me.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#29  Edited By Hailinel

To all the complainers, it could be worse. Both Screened and Anime Vice are still just sort of sitting there without any apparent developer support, and the people we used to visit Screened to see are no longer there.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By AlexW00d

Still broken :(

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By iamjohn

@Hailinel said:

To all the complainers, it could be worse. Both Screened and Anime Vice are still just sort of sitting there without any apparent developer support, and the people used to visit Screened to see are no longer there.

Well yeah, I could also get cancer instead of being kicked in the balls, but that doesn't make me want to get kicked in the balls.

Okay, that's a terrible analogy since Tested is still very good, even if their new direction (or lack thereof, I'd argue) means I find myself visiting it less and less. And the new redesign looks fantastic. But it's hard not to feel like the BermanBraun side of the sale got a raw deal, even if Tested has gotten to expand far more than they probably would've under Whiskey.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By nightriff

@Hailinel said:

To all the complainers, it could be worse. Both Screened and Anime Vice are still just sort of sitting there without any apparent developer support, and the people used to visit Screened to see are no longer there.

I have no idea what they want to do with Screened, its very depressing. Is Anime Vice the same way? I thought that was a good acquisition along with Tested and they just got stuck with Screened. Did they really only want Tested.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#33  Edited By Hailinel

@Nightriff said:

@Hailinel said:

I have no idea what they want to do with Screened, its very depressing. Is Anime Vice the same way? I thought that was a good acquisition along with Tested and they just got stuck with Screened. Did they really only want Tested.

Anime Vice has Tom Pinchuk holding it together, and its community is larger than Screened ever had. But both sites are still the same architecturally now as they were before the sale and there's been no word on a redesign effort, whether it be like Tested or something else. It's possible that BermanBraun was mainly interested in Tested and were able to get the other sites as some sort of bargain package deal.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#34  Edited By s-a-n-JR

Man, I've been checking into Tested now and then since the buyout and I'm really impressed with what they've become. I think GiantBomb could learn a couple lessons from them. Lesson #1: Get a high speed camera.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#35  Edited By Humanity

That site look really really nice and I'm always a sucker for that diamond pattern they use in the background.

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#36  Edited By zidd

@Andorski said:

Their Alexa ranking is extremely low.

Tested's audience is tech savvy so they don't install the toolbars that give the appropriate data for the ranking.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By iamjohn

@Hailinel said:

It's possible that BermanBraun was mainly interested in Tested and were able to get the other sites as some sort of bargain package deal.

I'd go so far as to say it's likely. Anime Vice has a rabid fanbase but it's more or less been on life support since Gia and the other guy got fired; and Screened was finding its voice and had a fair number of die-hards, but the wiki and forums have always been dead. I've seen trailers on here for games no one cares about that got more comments than tentpole Alex and Rorie articles during Screened's prime. Even Tested, which also has a sometimes low comment pool, never got that bad. I'm sure BermanBraun got them solely because they were going to be shut down otherwise.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#38  Edited By bacongames

Man some of these comments are depressing as fuck. I was a big fan of the site that kept visiting as often as I used to and I love the redesign. The Adam content is a delight and some of the best stuff, especially as a long time Mythbusters fan as well. As far as the consumer tech focus being "gone", you apparently aren't going to the site enough because on podcasts and in-office videos, that's all they talk about pretty much. I bet for people uninterested in consumer tech there's too much of that stuff. Personally I like the mix because I get up to date on the tech industry but hear them talk about science stuff and what they've been testing including their tech is awesome.

I'm only disappointed in the lack of Jamie content and that some of the articles aren't very interesting but the video and podcast stuff is top notch for me. WOO!

Ho_Blivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Ho_Blivion

HYPOTHETICAL:

So they just announced MythBusters is done after this season. After a good long run, Jamie and Adam are gonna move on to other projects.

What happens to Tested?

I imagine Berman Braun only cares about "Jamie and Adam's Tested" and would try to offload it to somebody else or just shut it down if there isn't somebody immediately ready to take it off their hands. Again for clarification, they have not actually said MythBusters is ending but as they enter their eleventh season I can easily see them calling it a day within the next five years.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#40  Edited By Tireyo

I guess the "harder, better and faster" slogan refers more to their penis instead of the actual website. It must be nice having power and money, but they are more showers than growers. =-P

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By iamjohn

@Ho_Blivion said:

HYPOTHETICAL:

So they just announced MythBusters is done after this season. After a good long run, Jamie and Adam are gonna move on to other projects.

What happens to Tested?

I imagine Berman Braun only cares about "Jamie and Adam's Tested" and would try to offload it to somebody else or just shut it down if there isn't somebody immediately ready to take it off their hands. Again for clarification, they have not actually said MythBusters is ending but as they enter their eleventh season I can easily see them calling it a day within the next five years.

I'd imagine that's why it's called "Jamie and Adam: Tested" and not "Mythbusters: Tested," both to sell the guys and what they do rather than the show they're on, and because I'm pretty sure BermanBraun has nothing to do with Mythbusters and therefore cannot use the name. (However, they're the production company behind Unchained Reaction, Jamie and Adam's other show on Discovery Channel.)

Pretty much the only way your hypothetical happens is if BermanBraun has a falling out with the two and they decide to take their name and likeness elsewhere, but who even knows what would happen in that case.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

The site looks great. Plus Matt Braga is back! Finally some Canadian representation again.

okand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By okand

The Jamie & Adam pictures are easily adblockable in this design so I like it. Too bad the text is part of rest of the logo.

http://files.tested.com/static/site/img/logo/tested-logo.png and http://files.tested.com/static/site/img/logo/tested-logo_v2.png need to be replaced, should probably not be too hard.

Thankfully it doesn't mention Jamie & Adam in the <title> tag.

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Deusx

Oh wow! Now that's a beautiful website! I always check their videos on youtube so it's been a long time since I checked the site. Thanks for reminding me.

mbr2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By mbr2

To people whining that Tested is not as tech focused as it used to be: You're welcome to the billions of other tech sites that exist on the internet.

NekuCTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By NekuCTR

Love the redesign, but I really wish there was an option to change the Header image to a color scheme appropriate Testicles. I'm fine with Jamie and Adam, but their faces don't need to be at the top of the site, just their names. Also the search bar is small, static, and boring.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#47  Edited By cornbredx

haha. I hadn't seen that high speed camera test. That was hilarious. 

Ya these guys are cool, but I don't go there much in general because they don't have a lot of content I'm generally interested in. They only seem to do interesting (to me) stuff every once in a while. 

I don't blame it on them, more so on the fact that they don't seem to come up with ideas for stuff I want to watch or read about. Just personal preference.

Avatar image for scrumdidlyumptious
Scrumdidlyumptious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yay the video page is functional now.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#49  Edited By Snail

@joshthebear said:

I'm glad to see tested getting back to normal, although the giant Jamie and Adam picture at the top still weirds me out.

You realize you can change that picture right? Click the old Tested logo in the upper right.

This redesign is awesome. Finally the website looks good again. And readable! That old redesign could hurt the eyes dammit.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By MikkaQ

Yeah that looks cool but they basically abandoned the tech stuff in favor of talking about things they're not too knowledgable about like cooking and I don't really see the point in following them through that learning process. I liked their tech expertise, but that represents like 20 minutes of their podcast now.