Thanking the UK for Karl Pilkington

Atary77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Atary77

The United Kingdom has given the world a lot of awesome things. Doctor Who, The Beatles, Def Leppard, The Office, just to name a few. Today though I wanted to simply acknowledge a man whom I'm very grateful Ricky Gervais has shared with the world, that is mister Karl Pilkington. For those of you who don't know who I'm talking about and this is just off the top of my head, Karl Pilkington has worked with actor and producer Ricky Gervais on several projects. They first met when Ricky started doing stuff for XFM. As Ricky got to know more about Mr. Pilkington ,he simply became astounded by Karl's logic and way of looking at the world (and most importantly how round his noggin is) that Ricky decided to share him with the world in his podcast with Steven Merchant (You may know him as Wheatly from Portal 2) and they all sat down simply to have pointless conversations drilling Karl's wonderful fountain of knowlege. Or lack there of in Ricky's opinion. Later HBO decided to bring the podcast to life in animated form simply called The Ricky Gervais show. For those of you who have never heard any thing from this pod cast or the HBO series, I'd like to present to you one of my favorite clips in where Ricky and Steven read from Karl's own Diary giving us a look into this strange yet wonderful man's mind.

Fascinating no? Now I didn't want to simply talk about the Ricky Gervais show (otherwise I'd have started this on that board) but I wanted to take a look at Karl himself. Karl has almost been chosen to go basically wherever Ricky and Steven send him in a show called "Idiot Abroad". This vid is a clip taken from the show after Karl returns from a trip from China, and hearing what Karl has learned, is just fascinating.

I swear the conversations they have with Karl are just priceless. And thanks to Ricky Gervais all us folks outside of the UK can experience Karl Pilkington for ourselves. Honestly I don't think there's anyone else like Karl Pilkington in the world and I'm very glad there isn't. He's one of a kind and I hope we get to continue to see more of his view on the world.

How about you folks?

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By GunslingerPanda

As the representative of this glorious nation, you're welcome.

Giefcookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Giefcookie

Head like a fking orange.

isles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By isles

I feel so proud right now. :'(

Edit: Lest we forget this momentous moment.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BestUsernameEver

Yeah idiot abroad is a great show.

Lobster_Ear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Lobster_Ear

Karl isn't only the best thing the UK has given us. He's the best thing the world has given us.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Tylea002

The weird thing about Ricky Gervais is that he's surrounded by funny people, but he himself is horribly unfunny.

I'm shocked that he's the biggest British comedian in america, because he sucks. He's never the funniest part of his shows - Stephen Merchant's straight man is always the better character.

crazyleaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By crazyleaves

Karl is great. "Monkey News" was always my favorite. I spent some years wondering if it was all a gag but now I just don't care he's great either way.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By I_smell

He is actually like the funniest fucking person around right now.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Canteu

You should listen to "The Ricky Gervais Show". A podcast with Karl, Ricky and Steve.

Probably some of the funniest shit I've ever heard.

isles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By isles

@Tylea002: Smerch's stand-up is still the best I've ever seen.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By Dagbiker

Now we just need to show up, then this thread will be full circle.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Tylea002

@isles said:

Woah. WOAH.

Hold on, seriously? I mean, I've seen his stand up, and it just shocks me how unfunny it is. The man needs a foil to actually bring humour to his writing, this is why his shows can sometimes work, but on stage, he's just a dirth of humour. Generally. He was pretty funny at those awards, but that was more because of shock value than anything else.

But either way, whether you like him or not, if he's the best stand up you've ever seen, then you're not watching enough stand up. I suggest Reginald D Hunter - he's probably my personal favourite.

UitDeToekomst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By UitDeToekomst

i will jump onboard and give my appreciation for Mr. K. Dilkington. I have listened to every podcast many, many times and look forward to all of the stuff that Ricky and Steve release that features Karl. Clive Warren?!?!?!

Lobster_Ear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Lobster_Ear

@Tylea002 said:

@isles said:

Woah. WOAH.

Hold on, seriously? I mean, I've seen his stand up, and it just shocks me how unfunny it is. The man needs a foil to actually bring humour to his writing, this is why his shows can sometimes work, but on stage, he's just a dirth of humour. Generally. He was pretty funny at those awards, but that was more because of shock value than anything else.

But either way, whether you like him or not, if he's the best stand up you've ever seen, then you're not watching enough stand up. I suggest Reginald D Hunter - he's probably my personal favourite.

Wow, I didn't know you were the arbiter of all things funny. I thought humor was subjective, but I guess I was wrong. I've never heard of this Reginald guy, but after watching that he just seems like your basic run-of-the-mill comic. Not horribly offensive like Dane Cook, but not spectacular either, but again I guess I'm wrong since you seem to know it all.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Tylea002

@Lobster_Ear said:

@Tylea002 said:

@isles said:

Woah. WOAH.

Wow, I didn't know you were the arbiter of all things funny. I thought humor was subjective, but I guess I was wrong. I've never heard of this Reginald guy, but after watching that he just seems like your basic run-of-the-mill comic. Not horribly offensive like Dane Cook, but not spectacular either, but again I guess I'm wrong since you seem to know it all.

Wait, I'm a huge asshole - I completely misread your comment!

Smerch is fucking hilarious, I take back everything I said, and apologise for the douchey manner in which I presented my rebuttal!

MegaMetaTurtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By MegaMetaTurtle

@Tylea002 said:

@isles said:

Woah. WOAH.

The 'D' stands for 'Delicious'.

Lobster_Ear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Lobster_Ear

@Tylea002 said:

@Lobster_Ear said:

@Tylea002 said:

@isles said:

Woah. WOAH.

Wait, I'm a huge asshole - I completely misread your comment!

Smerch is fucking hilarious, I take back everything I said, and apologise for the douchey manner in which I presented my rebuttal!

Well first of all it wasn't my comment, but I assume you thought he was talking about Ricky Gervais, in which case the comment I made still stands true.

isles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By isles

You can love both guys. I've seen Smerch live twice and both times he has been super funny. Also, I never saw Bill Hicks live so my opinion is based on that.

ItBeStefYo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By ItBeStefYo

Dont like Stephen Merchant at all

Avatar image for whyareyoucrouchingspock
whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's alright. Kinda like a low rent Alan Partridge. I find him amusing but compared to older British Comedy (as prev mentioned) him, Ricky Gervais cant really match Steve Coogan.

mathey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mathey

Any time I feel too proud of America's rampant stupidity, I remember Mr. Dilkington is out there, setting the standard for the world on behalf of his lovely homeland.

lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By lord_canti

karl is pritty entertaining if they had any one else that podcast wouldn't have had a leg to stand on. i have no clue how ricky gervais got popular in america its one of those mysteries that will never be solved, i mean there are loads of awesome stand up acts on tv here week in and out yet the ones we show the world are him and Russell brand. but to be fair i dont think people like Frankie boyle & rhod gilbert will play in america for one reason or another

Avatar image for whyareyoucrouchingspock
whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lord_canti said:

karl is pritty entertaining if they had any one else that podcast wouldn't have had a leg to stand on. i have no clue how ricky gervais got popular in america its one of those mysteries that will never be solved, i mean there are loads of awesome stand up acts on tv here week in and out yet the ones we show the world are him and Russell brand. but to be fair i dont think people like Frankie boil & rhod gilbert will play in america for one reason or another

I love Frankie Boyle. But he is way to offensive to be mainstream in America. Even in Britian that is more layed back, people were outright calling to ban him.

Ricky Gervias was great with "the office". But with his new show "lifes too short" and that thing "derek" it seems kinda like he's riding past glories. IMO Alan Partridge was fucking miles better than anything RG put out.

InternetCrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By InternetCrab

Amazing podcast that i listen to alot! Karl Pilkington makes me laugh everytime! :)

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#27  Edited By KarlPilkington

@Dagbiker said:

Alright.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By Sooty
Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Akyho

@Tylea002 said:

The weird thing about Ricky Gervais is that he's surrounded by funny people, but he himself is horribly unfunny.

I'm shocked that he's the biggest British comedian in america, because he sucks. He's never the funniest part of his shows - Stephen Merchant's straight man is always the better character.

Indeed. I hate Gervais with a passion, Steven Merchant can be a bit bad. However is still good. While Karl is freaking wonderfull. Sad thing is he comes out with some good thoughts or facts and Gervais shows his ignorance by just being an idiot. Sad thing is....as Karl points out...Ricky is very well off due to his "success". Which just makes me annoyed. However Karl sedates that.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#30  Edited By pyromagnestir

I sometimes question, a human being can't really be quite so... I mean listening to this he ends with a tease of "I'll educate you more next week." @Sooty said:

I sometimes wonder if Karl's not in on the joke and playing it up a bit. He can't really be that oblivious can he?

Alpha1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By Alpha1

Karl Pilkington: I always wanted to kick a duck up the arse.

Avatar image for deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a
deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love Karl, he's awesome.

doobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By doobie

@whyareyoucrouchingspock said:

He's alright. Kinda like a low rent Alan Partridge. I find him amusing but compared to older British Comedy (as prev mentioned) him, Ricky Gervais cant really match Steve Coogan.

yeah he can.

i fucking love both the office and Im alan partridge. i've seen both that often i can quote them start to finish. i think personally the office is slightly funnier. but only because i thought the second series of im alan partridge was not as legendary as the first where as the office is just great all the way through.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#34  Edited By zombie2011

@isles said:

i thought his stand-up was pretty average.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By laserbolts

@Tylea002 said:

@isles said:

Woah. WOAH.

Dude has an opinion. To be honest the dude in this video isn't funny at all. To each their own.

Hichael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Hichael

@KarlPilkington said:

@Dagbiker said:

Alright.

Heyyy, there you are :)

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MariachiMacabre

Karl Pilkington is my best friend.

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By benpicko
@whyareyoucrouchingspock

@lord_canti said:

karl is pritty entertaining if they had any one else that podcast wouldn't have had a leg to stand on. i have no clue how ricky gervais got popular in america its one of those mysteries that will never be solved, i mean there are loads of awesome stand up acts on tv here week in and out yet the ones we show the world are him and Russell brand. but to be fair i dont think people like Frankie boil & rhod gilbert will play in america for one reason or another

I love Frankie Boyle. But he is way to offensive to be mainstream in America. Even in Britian that is more layed back, people were outright calling to ban him.

Ricky Gervias was great with "the office". But with his new show "lifes too short" and that thing "derek" it seems kinda like he's riding past glories. IMO Alan Partridge was fucking miles better than anything RG put out.

Even though my avatar is of him, he's pretty shit now.
pantzing_nome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By pantzing_nome

I like Karl Pilkington and I'm looking forward to his new show with Ricky Gervais

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Akyho

@pantzing_nome said:

I like Karl Pilkington and I'm looking forward to his new show with Ricky Gervais

It isnt his new show with Ricky Gervais. Its Ricky Gervais show...with Karl pilkington around. I am not going to watch even if Karl is there.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#41  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I'm not the biggest fan of the podcasts. They're funny, but they are too scripted. I know they're not scripted in the sense that they're reading from a word-perfect script, but the always go in with a very clear idea about what they're going to talk about and how the conversations are going to progress.

I do, however, love the old XFM radio shows. They're much more natural. They're just 3 blokes in a room with some mics on. You also see a real progression in the relationships between Ricky, Steve and Karl. Through the majority of Series 1 they're the best of mates. Karl has a great time. He even at one point says doing the radio show is the best part of his week. But by the end of Series 2 there is a real tension between them. Karl hates doing the show and to a certain extent he hates Ricky and Steve. It's very real. Very human. And very funny.

Lautaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Lautaro

@Jaytow said:

The guy is so fake, his acting in that new channel 4 show is exactly the way he is in real life which leads me to believe he is not actually stupid at all.

If he is fake it would be one of the longest cons around. That old XFM show is over 10 years old ( I think it started in 2001).

Moth_Pope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Moth_Pope

As a listener of the original XFM shows and then the podcast series, I'm glad Karl is getting some big recognition. I've listened to all their projects over the years, and while there's a lot of stories they repeat and reuse (while still acting as if it's the first time they've told it... bit annoying), 99% of it is some of the funniest conversations you could ever listen to. I also recommend anyone who hasn't already to listen to it! Or watch the animated series. Though I didn't really bother with that personally, I'm sure it's fine.

J12088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By J12088

Love Mr Dilkington.

minotaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers