#1 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2130 posts) -

South African police have charged Olympic star Oscar Pistorius with the murder of his girlfriend, who was shot in the sprinter's home Thursday.

Pistorius, 26, kept weapons at his gated, luxury South African home as a means of protection against his country's soaring crime rate, according to a British writer who had exclusive access to the Olympic sprinter.Oscar Pistorius was taken into custody Thursday. (AP Photo)In the early hours of Thursday morning, the 400 meter runner – the first man to compete in the Olympics and Paralympics – is believed to have used part of his weapons collection to tragically gun down his girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp.Early reports had the alleged incident being reported as an accident, but police spokesperson Brigadier Denise Beukes told the Associated Press that information did not come from police and that "it would be very premature and very irresponsible of me to say what actually has happened."

"There have been allegations," Beukes said. "We are not sure."

According to those initial reports, Pistorius mistook Steenkamp, a 30-year-old television personality and model, for an intruder as she entered his residence at 3 a.m. and allegedly shot her four times in the arms and head.

According to the Associated Press, police said there had "previously been incidents and allegations of a domestic nature at the home of Mr. Oscar Pistorius."

According to British writer Jonathan McEvoy, who was given unprecedented access to Pistorius in a broad-ranging 2011 Daily Mail interview, the athlete held serious concerns for his personal safety, perhaps unsurprisingly given his nation's appalling record of violence.

"I spoke to him at his house and when we went upstairs to his bedroom so that our photographer could take photos of his running blades, that was when I saw the weapons," said McEvoy, when contacted by Yahoo! Sports by telephone on Thursday.

"There was the pistol by the bed, the machine gun up against the wall, the baseball bat under the window, a cricket bat too. He was concerned by safety and security to a high level, there was no doubt about that."

Pistorius has earned well from appearance fees and endorsements during his athletic career and also came from a privileged background, thanks to his mining magnate father Henke, who told reporters he was "shocked" by Thursday's events.

Pistorius' house in the Silver Lakes community on the eastern edge of South Africa's capital, Pretoria, is in an attractive compound permanently guarded by armed security, yet that was not enough to allay his concerns about being the victim of violent crime.

"We had been talking at his training base in Johannesburg and he drove me up [to his home] to continue the interview," McEvoy continued. "You had to stop and speak to the guard on the way in and on the way out. "I think I mentioned that the security must mean that area was safe, but he said that wasn't necessarily the case as the guards could be 'in on it.'" Indeed, Pretoria news reports detailed the apprehension of a crime ring that operated from the Silver Lakes area in 2010, one that included police officers in what was known as a "blue light" crime.

Steenkamp and Pistorius, known as the Blade Runner for the prosthetic blades on his legs that allowed him to compete, are understood to have met in November and embarked upon a whirlwind romance. The actress' Twitter account painted the picture a joyful relationship when she asked her followers what they were planning for Valentine's Day.

Oscar Pistorius and girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp pose in Johannesburg last week. (REUTERS)Over the past week, Pistorius and Steenkamp spent time with Great Britain 400 meter runner Martyn Rooney, who had been in South Africa training and socialized with the pair.

Pistorius remained in custody as of Thursday and was said to be distraught, according to police.

"We found a 9mm pistol at the scene, a 26-year-old man was taken into custody," the spokesman added.

The runner's agent, Peet Van Zyl, attempted to visit Pistorius at the Pretoria police station where he was being held before a court appearance that will likely take place Friday, according to News24. The New York Times reported that police officials said they planned to oppose Pistorius’ expected application for bail.

Reports from South Africa revealed Steenkamp's body was removed from the home at around 8 a.m.

Pistorius reached the semifinals of the 400m and the final of the 4x400m relay at the London Olympics, before later adding his fifth and sixth Paralympic golds.

#2 Posted by crazyleaves (637 posts) -

Allegedly...

#3 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7039 posts) -

If it truly was an accident, that's a real shame. But also, why would he immediately assume anyone entering his house was an intruder? I would assume his girlfriend had a key, so it's not like she broke in.

#4 Posted by Superfriend (1521 posts) -

Why is everything in that quote box centered?! I´ve noticed this before when somebody quoted me in another thread.

I don´t really care all that much about some dude shooting his girlfriend, but even if I did- I can´t be arsed to read this block of centered nonsense.

#5 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

If it truly was an accident, that's a real shame. But also, why would he immediately assume anyone entering his house was an intruder? I would assume his girlfriend had a key, so it's not like she broke in.

Well the rest of the article paints him up as a pretty paranoid man. If he suspected his guards to be "in on it", he probably didn't think it was impossible for an intruder to get a hold of his keys or enter the house some other way.

However, if his house had guards working 24/7, wouldn't they have notified him when his girlfriend was at the door?

#6 Posted by jozzy (2041 posts) -

Shooting someone 4 times, including in the head, while unsure if it is an intruder or not seems really fishy. On the other hand, South Africa is a crazy dangerous place, especially for the wealthy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_South_Africa

Regardless if it was an "accident", this guy has to be punished..

#7 Posted by Kerned (1169 posts) -

I find the centered text more upsetting than the story.

#8 Edited by DaMisterChief (628 posts) -

#9 Posted by Nilazz (606 posts) -

Jeez...

#10 Posted by Poppduder (460 posts) -

A friend of mine lived in Johannesburg for several years and was broken into something like 3 times while he was home, even. I could understand the need for a little extra "security" in the area but something about that seems excessive. Like he was a paranoid schizo or something. Even if it was a mistake you should really look at what you're aiming at.

#11 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

Fucking Americans and their guns! Arrrgghghgh . . . oh, wait.

#12 Edited by MaFoLu (1858 posts) -

Well, not to start a gun debate or anything... But having guns for protection seems to work great.

#13 Edited by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

I have been good friends with three guys who moved to Australia from South Africa as kids (one was 7, one 10, one 11 when they moved).

Two were from Jo'burg, one from a rural area. One was black, two were white. All of them were from average, middle-class families. They did not know each other and I met them at different times.

The one common factor besides their nation of origin?

All three of them had been shot by the time they were ten.

The stories I have heard make me more inclined to think Pistorius might have made a horrible mistake than I would have otherwise.

#14 Edited by Disconnect (68 posts) -

was the gun attached to his leg like in that movie that would've been pretty cool huh guys

#15 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5182 posts) -

Pretty interesting story, though not as interesting as the police captain dude who got napalmed

#16 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@video_game_king: You are summoned to create a KS shop depicting the events in this story.

#17 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7039 posts) -

It seems like Johannesburg is exactly like District 9 but instead it's the entire city. I know a guy who moved to the US from there that he had had his house burgled around 12 times in his life. It's insane how bad crime is there.

#18 Posted by brownsfantb (389 posts) -

I don't really believe the "accident" story. Apparently there's been reports of domestic disturbances between these two before so I wouldn't be surprised if this was intentional.

#19 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

because it's South Africa

#20 Edited by MattyFTM (14328 posts) -

Firing a 9mm pistol four times and hitting four times from a range where he couldn't identify the target is damn good shooting, even for someone experienced with a pistol. I can't imagine he has much practice shooting regularly so I'm totally not buying his story. (EDIT: I suppose if he was that paranoid about his safety, it is plausible that he'd had regular training with his guns. But even then, adding that to the previous history of domestics between them, and the fact that Pistorius generally seems like an asshole, I still think he did it).

Also, does that mean his nickname is going to be "Blade Gunner" from now on?

I'll show myself out.

#21 Posted by Toxin066 (3251 posts) -

Caught red handed. He's got no defense against this. I guess you could say he's got no leg to stand on.

#22 Posted by Video_Game_King (35840 posts) -
#23 Edited by stryker1121 (1327 posts) -

His alleged comment about his community's security being "in on it" in terms of crime smacks of paranoia. Not going to disbelieve his story out of hand. hate to see something like this go down regardless. Pistorius was an inspiration to a lot of people.

#24 Posted by Sergio (2038 posts) -

When I heard "Blade Runner" killed his girlfriend, the first thing that I thought of was that she was probably a replicant. I'm a terrible person.

#25 Posted by SuperCycle (332 posts) -

Is it murder is it was done by accident? Would a better headline have been that he killed his girlfriend? Murder implies intent.

#26 Edited by egg (1450 posts) -

This story is a conspiracy! It's just another excuse for Obama to ban guns and pass CISPA!

#27 Posted by coakroach (2486 posts) -

What a waste.

#28 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2130 posts) -
#29 Posted by jewunit (1054 posts) -

@jozzy said:

Shooting someone 4 times, including in the head, while unsure if it is an intruder or not seems really fishy. On the other hand, South Africa is a crazy dangerous place, especially for the wealthy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_South_Africa

Regardless if it was an "accident", this guy has to be punished..

Yeah, South Africa has a pretty high crime rate and your level of wealth does not matter when it comes to theft. People will get shot and killed for cell phones if they need the money. I hope it's a tragic accident, but we will see what the police find. They have to investigate regardless of what the circumstances appear to be.

#30 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

Apparently this man sleeps with a gun under his pillow, and mistakes household appliances for intruders. I'm sure he was charming and all, but it's hard to believe that she didn't know this guy would end up shooting someone.

#31 Posted by SuperCycle (332 posts) -
#32 Posted by AiurFlux (901 posts) -

It's always a shame to see such a senseless waste of life, especially if that life was also a fine piece of ass.

#33 Posted by The_Grindilow (429 posts) -

I've said it once and i'll say it again, you shouldn't own a gun in the first place (imo). Also seems a bit weird he shot her so many times too. Still, gotta feel for the guy

#34 Posted by Veektarius (4541 posts) -

Did he try to run from the police?

#35 Posted by donnapacheco63 (1 posts) -

This sounds totally bogus to me. I understand "innocent until proven guilty" but I think he's as guilty as the day is long!!!