#1 Posted by mlarrabee (2927 posts) -

Video games can contain some terrific names for things within them.

I've been playing Resident Evil 4 for the first time, and you know what? Broken Butterfly is a great name for a handgun.

I've never played Final Fantasy but I love the sound of Phoenix Down.

"Ezio Auditore Da Firenze" is a ton of fun to say.

Which video games' fictional things' names do you enjoy?

#2 Posted by Sackmanjones (4688 posts) -

All the alien race names in Mass Effect are fuckin great. When you hear the name "Krogan" without even knownig what it is, you know that's some massive creature that shouldn't be messed with

#3 Posted by BaneFireLord (2928 posts) -

I'm with you with Ezio. Saying that name in a terrible Italian accent never gets old. I'm also partial to Dovahkiin as a name for a legendary warrior and am of the opinion that Niko Bellic is a perfect name for an Eastern European gangster.

#4 Posted by jimmyfenix (3853 posts) -

big smoke .i dont know why but i always giggled at that when playing through san andreas

#5 Posted by Animasta (14675 posts) -

the names for the golems in Zeno Clash I really like; Kax-Teh, Xotl-Teh, Samoro-Teh, Nahautl-Teh.

hell, Zenozoik is a great name for that area.

#6 Posted by Marcsman (3180 posts) -

It all starts with the BFG in Doom. Nuff said

#7 Edited by Liquidus (946 posts) -

I like the names Atlus comes up with i.e. Soul Hackers, Devil Survivor, Devil Summoner and my personal favorite: Digital Devil Saga.

#8 Posted by BBAlpert (1444 posts) -

I've been playing Resident Evil 4 for the first time, and you know what? Broken Butterfly is a great name for a handgun.

RE4 has an even better (in my opinion) gun name that unlocks after the first (or second or whatever) playthrough. It's a super fucking overpowered gangster-style tommy gun called The Chicago Typewriter. I assume this wasn't an original name, but some phrase that's been around for ages, but it's still great.

#9 Posted by Brodehouse (9887 posts) -

@bbalpert said:

@mlarrabee said:

RE4 has an even better (in my opinion) gun name that unlocks after the first (or second or whatever) playthrough. It's a super fucking overpowered gangster-style tommy gun called The Chicago Typewriter. I assume this wasn't an original name, but some phrase that's been around for ages, but it's still great.

It's what they used to call the Thompson, also known as the Tommy Gun.

#10 Posted by TobbRobb (4603 posts) -

Oh I've played so many games with great names. The aforementioned RE4 guns are definitely up there. I really like Bayonetta's set of guns, "Scarbourough Fair". "Ebony and Ivory" from DMC are just classics. Masamune or a variation thereof is always good too. Oh and yeah, this thread can't go on for long without mentioning Cloud's BUSTER SWORD. SWORD OF BUSTING! IT BUSTS FOOLS! Can't beat that! Even if Cid's Venus Gospel is a close second. :D

Man games have great names.

#11 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@tobbrobb:

To be fair, your first two aren't from video games originally. Scarbourough Fair is the name of a Simon and Garfunkel song (I think), and I know that Ebony and Ivory is the name of a song, too. Masamune isn't a song, but some guy who made totally awesome katanas.

#12 Edited by Levius (1113 posts) -

I think In Amber Clad, Shadow of Intent and the rest of the Halo ship names are really fucking cool fictional ship names.

#13 Posted by Shortbreadtom (762 posts) -

Eggplant Wizard.

#14 Edited by Krataur (357 posts) -

@amatureidiot:

Agreed. I love Halo's ship names. Especially Pillar of Autumn and Forward Unto Dawn.

@video_game_king:

I'm sure he knows that (and the song is much older than Simon and Garfunkel), but using Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme as names for guns, and collectively calling them Scarborough Fair is original as far as I know (and badass).

Foxhound is a great name for an elite group of soldiers.

#15 Posted by ChristianConservativeVinny (95 posts) -

God Hand has the Yes-Man Kablam and probably a bunch of other ones I'm forgetting lol

#16 Posted by TobbRobb (4603 posts) -

@video_game_king: I don't see how that matters. A good name is a good name. If anything, a Simon and Garfunkel reference just makes it better. And yes you are right, it's one of their better songs.

#17 Edited by McTangle (157 posts) -

Aside from being the best video on the internet, 'Quad Damage' is also an excellent and succinct name for a pick-up item in the popular arena shooting videogame Quake. Punctuated by incredible sound effects, it quickly rose through the ranks to become the best name ever.

Also, Phoenix Down sounds like an amazing blanket insulator. Just pray it never catches on fire.

#18 Edited by tonyp2121 (169 posts) -

Solid Snake. Sounds like a badass that should not be fucked with, and thats basically what he is.

#19 Posted by BeachThunder (11854 posts) -

@animasta said:

the names for the golems in Zeno Clash I really like; Kax-Teh, Xotl-Teh, Samoro-Teh, Nahautl-Teh.

hell, Zenozoik is a great name for that area.

What about Animasta? You don't think that's a great name???

#20 Edited by Getz (2997 posts) -

I like the way Konohana Sakuya rolls off the tongue, if pronounced correctly.

#21 Posted by President_Barackbar (3455 posts) -

Big Bo is a great name for a dude. When you hear that name, you know EXACTLY what kind of dude he is.

#22 Edited by Veektarius (4775 posts) -

I agree on the Halo ship names.

Cloud's level 2 limit break 'Climhazzard' always made an impression.

There are some Battlemech names that I like, like Cauldron-Born and Grand Crusader. Don't know if that counts.

#23 Posted by CannonGoose (372 posts) -

Big Boss in MGS3 always seemed just perfect to me.

#24 Posted by Damodar (1375 posts) -

Yup, them Halo ship names. Don't forget the Truth And Reconciliation!

There are lots of cool names and stuff through-out the Legacy Of Kain series. One that always amused me to no end was "Cadaverous Laceration".

Lots of fighting games have tons of cool names. There is the classic stuff like Shoryuken that are basically just Japanese descriptions of the moves, but then there is also stuff that just has cool English names. Psycho Crusher, Nightmare Booster, Sonic Hurricane, Feng Shui Engine, etc

#25 Edited by Ubersmake (754 posts) -

"Klobb" is a great name for a terrible gun. Bonus points for being named for someone as a joke.