Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Walk Kowalski is my fucking hero.
Walk Kowalski is my fucking hero.
They say Gran Torino might be Clint Eastwood's last film, and this is more than a fitting finale to the legendary career of one of Hollywood's most gifted talents.

If you were to ask me yesterday what the best movie of 2008 was, I would say The Dark Knight hands down. When I saw Gran Torino earlier today, I came away from it moved and inspired. The movie reminded me a lot of one of my favorite films of all time, American History X. I think what I loved about it most was that it's not too preachy, and it doesn't jam its message down your throat like other dramas these days.

Speaking of dramas, Torino isn't really a drama at all until the third act. The movie functions more as a black comedy, with Eastwood playing up Kowalski's "grumpy old man" character as much as he can. What seperates Kowalski from your typical old bastard is that they humanize him just enough so that you really grow attached to his character. We get a perfect division between comedy and tragedy that ends in a....well, I'm not going to spoil it for you.

I really don't want to talk further about this movie, because I think it's best experienced with no background information. I will say this though: It has been in limited release for a while now, which is why it qualifies for 2008 for me. It got wide release last weekend.

I sincerely hope that the critics get over their boners for Benjamin Button and Slumdog Millionaire because as far as I'm concerned this is the best picture of the year. The DVD release can't come soon enough, and Walt Kowalski will go down as one of those unforgettable characters of cinema history. Right up there with Dirty Harry.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By HandsomeDead

I'd completely agree were the supporting cast as good as, or even 10% as good as, Eastwood himself. They really let the film down. The film is still utterly fantastic though.

TomServo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3  Edited By TomServo

I actually loved that movie too. It even wins against the dark knight because I felt like that movie was way over hyped and had more to do with joker being balls to the wall crazy than having any kind of plot.

BawlZINmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4  Edited By BawlZINmotion
TomServo said:
"I actually loved that movie too. It even wins against the dark knight because I felt like that movie was way over hyped and had more to do with joker being balls to the wall crazy than having any kind of plot."
Well that's because the joker and his "balls to the wall crazy" character was the plot. It's not a deep plot, I'm surprised it flew over your head like that.
Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Optiow

I loved the dark knight.

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By teh_destroyer

It would be sad to see him go,I liked a lot of his movies.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I just saw Slumdog Millionaire. I think it may now be my new pick for best film of '08/09. I haven't seen Gran Torino yet, but hopefully I will soon. Though, I think I'll be hard pressed to find a more impressive, beautiful, and smart film than Slumdog.

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By TomA

Wall-E,i watched it with my mom and that movie just makes me feel like a kid.It just warms my heart:)

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9  Edited By granderojo

I commend this choice, and I would like the say the dark knight probably re-invented the mad man psycho character...but this is my movie of the year.

No Caption Provided

I hate movie critics, they tagged it unwatchable because it is "just another holocaust movie".

This was not only the best foreign film IMO but it was truly amazing cinema, the scene when the nazi officer was talking about communism with the main character near the end of the movie moved me for some reason.  I think also that because this movie is entirely based off of truths is astounding.  Truly epic tale in cinema.
Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Emilio

Yo, Benjamin Button is a good ass film.

But so is Gran Torino.