Posted by Colorwind (269 posts) -

When I think of the best games that came out this generation, that is to say between the end of 2005 to now, four titles immediately come to mind: Castle Crashers, Braid, Rock Band and Batman: Arkham Asylum. These games are great examples of fun experiences that also pushed what a game could be. Castle Crashers showed how good downloadable titles could be, Braid is the greatest example of what the indie art game community could do, Rock Band created a brand new kind of experience for video games and Batman: Arkham Asylum showed that license games could not only be good but amazing.

Now I will say that there are some games that many consider to be one of the best of the generation that I have not gotten to. For example, Mass Effect 2, Portal 2, Red Dead Redemption, BioShock, Borderlands (though I am kind of playing that right now), and Uncharted 2. Others I have played and either don’t see what the big deal is or don’t like it so much as to call it game of the generation. Again, for example, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Portal, Bastion, Super Meat Boy, Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and Tomb Raider.

So I want to know what games you consider to be the best of this generation and why. Now I want to be clear. Although I don’t think the first Modern Warfare is one of the best games of the generation, I do think it’s the most influential. It dictated what big budget games are this generation. You can’t deny the impact that game has had. So really think about it. I want what you think are the best games of this generation, not the most influential. They can be both great and influential but they need to be great above all else. Let me know in the comment section below!

#1 Posted by Brodehouse (10072 posts) -

I actually have lists of my favorite games from each year of the last 20 or so, which I update with hindsight. Some years there are only like 2 games I unreservedly enjoyed. Anyways, I've also kept a best of this generation list. Keep in mind this list only includes one game from each franchise; so Dead Space 2 is out, Uncharted 2 is out, etc.

1. Mass Effect 2

2. Bastion

3. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit

4. Dead Space

5. Uncharted

6. Super Meat Boy

7. Persona 4 Arena

8. Batman: Arkham Asylum

9. Dragon Age: Origins

10. Fallout New Vegas

#2 Edited by BeachThunder (12087 posts) -

Wait, do you want best or most influential? You said best, but your descriptions of your top four all seem based on their impact; ie. "Rock Band created a brand new kind of experience for video games".

Anyway:

• Braid
  • BioShock
  • Binding of Isaac

Bonus: BioShock Infinite - Still too early for me to consider it properly.

Brought to you by the letter "B"

#3 Edited by Colorwind (269 posts) -

@beachthunder: I meant best but my four examples were of games that were the best and influential. That's why I said they could be both.

@brodehouse: I've been wanting to try out Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit since I loved Most Wanted. The Dragon Age series is another I haven't tried yet, as is the Fallout series.

#4 Posted by GunstarRed (5294 posts) -

I could list about 10-15, but I'll just say Bayonetta.

#5 Edited by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

Mass Effect 3 - Most fun game in the series with the best story
Dragon Age 2- Again, most fun game in the series, awesome story and characters
Black Ops II- Best multiplayer experience to date.
Battlefield 3- Second best multiplayer experience.
FIFA 13- It's FIFA.
Madden 13- Best football experience in a long time
FTL: Faster Than Light: Brilliant game
The Walking Dead- Great stuff.
Fallout New Vegas- Best Fallout game.
Halo: Reach- best Halo game.

#6 Edited by mikey87144 (1797 posts) -

@jdh5153: I have a comment to make about your list but as it's yours I'll keep it to myself.

#7 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4690 posts) -

You want what I think are the "best" or my favorites? Either way Dark Souls is near the top of the list.

#8 Posted by Ares42 (2727 posts) -

Top of my head; Mass Effect, Fallout 3, Borderlands and Dark Souls.

While there are plenty of other great games that I have spent as much or even more time with, those are the games I can think of that just kept on growing and growing on me. I didn't stop playing any of them because I had grown weary from their idiocyncracies, I stopped playing them because I had just gorged myself to the breaking point.

Damn.. I've actually always thought of myself of more of an action-adventure guy, but guess I shouldn't be too suprised that I have a hankering for rpgs.

#9 Edited by TheHBK (5506 posts) -

Mass Effect 1: Back when an RPG was an RPG and you didn't have levels. As soon as I saw the Mission Complete screen in Mass Effect 2, I was like fuck this.

Dragon Age: What I said above, then you get to DA2, and EA fucks it all up again. Hopefully DA3 lives up to the hype Bioware is building for it as it is supposed to be much better.

Oblivion: These open world RPGs finally start looking good and play better. Combat was not perfect but it got the job done.

Call of Duty 4: When WW2 fatigue was at it's highest, here comes a crazy action shooter that was serious enough to let you appreciate the story and the multiplayer, man what a fucking revelation. It only had 3 killstreaks but back then, it was amazing.

NBA 2K11: What a basketball game should be.

#10 Edited by ProfessorEss (7450 posts) -

Fallout 3, Terraria, Just Cause 2, Dance Central, Team Fortress 2, Saint's Row (pick one), Assassin's Creed 2, Viva Pinata: TiP, Demons Souls are the first bunch that come to mind today but the list goes on and on and on and on.

This generation covered so much ground and released so many great games on so many different levels and scales it's kind of ridiculous.

#11 Posted by Brodehouse (10072 posts) -

Hot Pursuit makes Most Wanted look like a hobo's vomit.

#12 Edited by believer258 (11987 posts) -

@mikey87144 said:

@jdh5153: I have a comment to make about your list but as it's yours I'll keep it to myself.

I'm no fan of his but his list seems fine?

This isn't something that I just come up with in a few seconds, but off the top of my head I remember liking Portal 2, Halo 3, Resistance 3, CoD4, Sleeping Dogs, Torchlight 2, Skyrim, Oblivion, Arkham Asylum, and Mass Effect 2 a whole lot.

#13 Posted by leftie68 (215 posts) -

I will do it, even though the "hipster AAA hating crowd" will do what they do best and hate, but, for me Bioshock Infinite is definitely on the list. Mine is as follows in no particular order:

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Demon Souls (Dark Souls didn't have that same level of newness to it, after playing this gem for over 100 hours)

Fallout 3

Bioshock

Bioshock Infinite

Arkham Asylum

Portal 2

Borderlands 2

Dragon Age: Origins

The Witcher 2

Skyrim

#14 Posted by Kidavenger (3582 posts) -
#15 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
Virtual Console, bitches.

#16 Edited by gogosox82 (424 posts) -

Kind of tricky but the games that I would say are the best are:

• Dark Souls
  • Demons Souls
  • Uncharted 2
  • Bioshock
  • Mass Effect
  • Dragon Age: Origins
  • The Witcher 2
  • Fallout: New Vegas
  • Alpha Protocol
  • Valkyria Chronicles
  • Bastion
  • Torchlight 2
#17 Edited by believer258 (11987 posts) -

@video_game_king: If that counts then Super Metroid, Donkey Kong Country, Chrono Trigger, and Final Fantasy III (by which I mean VI) also counts. As well as Persona 1, 2, and 3, maybe 4 if you count the Vita this gen. And those great PS1 classics. And Doom 1, 2, and 3. And Marathon Durandal. And...

...maybe I should play more modern games.

#18 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@believer258:

Wait, wouldn't Persona 4 still count for this gen (it came out in 2008, and even then, Golden on the Vita)? And both Persona 2s, due to PSP releases?

I'd say "same here", except I played Persona 3 today and am writing a blog about Splice. So maybe I should play more modern games that people actually give a shit about.

#19 Edited by believer258 (11987 posts) -

@believer258:

Wait, wouldn't Persona 4 still count for this gen (it came out in 2008, and even then, Golden on the Vita)? And both Persona 2s, due to PSP releases?

I'd say "same here", except I played Persona 3 today and am writing a blog about Splice. So maybe I should play more modern games that people actually give a shit about.

That's what I meant. All of those games have had releases on current-gen consoles, same as Fire Emblem has had on Virtual Console which is what I thought you meant. I don't know if the Vita counts as this gen or next-gen. I didn't include those re-releases on my list up there, or else Chrono Trigger and Super Metroid and Metroid Prime would have dominated it.

Persona 4 on the PS2 is a tricky one. It came out when this generation was in full swing but it was on a last generation console, so I would classify it as a "last gen" game.

#20 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3428 posts) -

Influential console games? Off ze top of mine head:

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Grand Theft Auto III
BioShock
Demon's Souls
Uncharted
Mass Effect
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Braid

Best games?

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots :D

#21 Posted by AiurFlux (902 posts) -
  • Bioshock - Probably the best game this generation. Period. Sure I could put Infinite here but I'm not going to. Bioshock carried on where System Shock 2 left off and is THE benchmark now for how to tell a story and create "WAHT A TWIST" moments.
  • Batman: Arkham City - Best adventure game this generation. It's just fun. End of story.
  • Valkyria Chronicles - The most under-appreciated game this generation. It has fun gameplay, incredible visuals, great music, and the story is seriously one of the most mature I've ever seen in a game. Everything from racism, to war, to acceptance is covered perfectly.
  • Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - Probably the best looking console game to this day with a fun story, fun gameplay, amazing music, good characters that you can develop a bond with, and to be honest the multiplayer isn't half bad either.
  • Skyrim - Technical problems aside, which is still absolutely unacceptable and Unofficial patches to fix issues should never be an excuse to half ass quality testing, no game has ever created anywhere near the world where you can do as much as you can in Skyrim.
  • Mass Effect - Yes Mass Effect 2/3 have better combat, yes Mass Effect 3 has more weapon variety and upgrades, and yes Mass Effect 3 has more replay value because of the Horde Mode in it... but Mass Effect is a better game. Sounds contradictory, but it's a better game. I cared more about the characters and interactions in ME in 5 minutes then I did in both ME2 and ME3 throughout the entire games, with the exception of Thane and Legion. Thane and Legion are the two best things to come out of ME2 and ME3.
  • The Witcher 2 - It still melts my computer whenever I play it but it's still one of the best RPG's out there. Ever. And CD Projekt knows how to listen to their customer base. Bullshit DRM? Fine we'll remove it. Enhanced Edition? No problem, it's a free update. Tits? Fine. You can see them in the first 10 minutes. Other asshole developers and publishers should take fucking notes because they clearly need it.
  • Just Cause 2 - Just plain stupid fun. And the game is gorgeous. Nothing more needed. If you don't have fun playing Just Cause 2 you need your head checked. It's the Saints Row: The Third before Saints Row: The Third and I'd argue it does it better.

That's all I can think of for now. One I was considering was Assassin's Creed II, but I hate how that series has gone so I didn't count it. Plus it quite literally is the sequel to shit. It's hard to not improve on shit. At all. That might be where some of the critical acclaim stems from too.

#22 Edited by Jeust (10738 posts) -
  • Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
  • Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
  • Catherine
  • Nier
  • Dead Space
  • Mass Effect 3
  • Witcher 2
  • The Darkness
  • Bulletstorm
  • Batman: Arkham Asylum
  • Assassin's Creed
  • The Binding of Isaac
  • Super Meatboy
  • Lone Survivor
#23 Edited by Slag (4615 posts) -

Well I haven't played as many games this gen as I would have liked to but for me personally the games would be roughly this

1. Dragon's Dogma
  2. Mass Effect
  3. Batman : Arkham Asylum
  4. Persona 4
  5. Super Mario Galaxy
  6. Dragon Age: Origins
  7. Valkyria Chronicles
  8. Borderlands 2
  9. The Walking Dead
  10. Portal
  11. Dark Souls
  12. Red Dead Redemption
  13. Sleeping Dogs
  14. Journey

games I need to play

Fire Emblem: Awakening, Witcher series, Assassin's Creed series, Bioshock, Braid, Fallout series, torchlight, Nier, any 3Ds title, Skyrim, WoW

#24 Edited by DarthOrange (3866 posts) -

Too soon bro. We still got over a half a dozen good releases on the current gen.

#25 Posted by artofwar420 (6294 posts) -

Fallout 3. Most engrossing experience I've ever had.

#26 Posted by AlecOfTheWest (290 posts) -

Grand Theft Auto IV. Hopefully V will take it's place.

#27 Edited by HistoryInRust (6334 posts) -

@brodehouse: Criterion's Hot Pursuit gets the cold shoulder too often. Glad someone finds that game as righteous as I do.

#28 Edited by JZ (2125 posts) -

All the predictable games

#29 Edited by InternetCrab (1504 posts) -
  • Fallout 3
  • Fallout: New Vegas
  • Team Fortress 2
  • Mass Effect 2
  • Bastion
  • Journey
  • Red Dead Redemption
  • Battlefield Bad Company 2
  • Left 4 Dead
  • Bioshock (takes the pie imo, have never played any better game this gen)
  • Portal
  • Portal 2
  • Borderlands
  • Assassins Creed II
  • AC Brotherhood
  • Batman: Arkham Asylum
  • Uncharted 2
  • GTA IV
#30 Edited by MEATBALL (3321 posts) -
  • Super Mario Galaxy 2
  • Portal 2
  • Mass Effect 2
  • Journey
  • The Walking Dead
  • The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword
  • Bioshock Infinite
  • Limbo
  • Skyrim
  • Batman Arkham City
  • Red Dead Redemption
  • Uncharted 2
  • Tomb Raider
  • Dead Space
  • Bayonetta
  • Halo Reach
  • Rayman Origins
  • Shadow Complex
  • Mark of the Ninja
  • God of War 3
  • Super Street Fighter IV
  • Borderlands 2
  • Hotline Miami

Some games that spring to mind as the best this gen, I'm being lazy and just giving you a bullet-point list, sorry. :P

Culling a list of 10 favourites this gen is going to be rough.

#31 Posted by ThePickle (4186 posts) -
  1. Fallout 3
  2. BioShock
  3. Civilization V
  4. Mass Effect
  5. Portal 2
  6. Rock Band 2
  7. Braid
#32 Posted by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

Fallout 3, Red Dead Redemption, The Walking Dead, Mass Effect 2, Dark Souls.

A little too early to tell but I think Bioshock Infinite will be a game I'll look fondly on for years to come. Hopefully once this cycle is said and done GTA V will be on that list also.

#33 Posted by Jimbo (9866 posts) -

One per franchise rule is strongly in effect here:

1. The Witcher
  2. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
  3. Prince of Persia '08
  4. Medieval II: Total War
  5. Faces of War
  6. Saints Row 2
  7. Mass Effect 2
  8. Company of Heroes
  9. Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
  10. Fallout: New Vegas
  11. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
  12. Shadow Complex
  13. Red Dead Redemption
  14. Alpha Protocol
  15. Far Cry 2
  16. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
  17. Skyrim
  18. Dawn of War 2
  19. Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening
  20. Anno 1404
#34 Posted by ArtelinaRose (1856 posts) -

I guess this all really depends on whether I am picking personal favorites or what games I thought impacted the industry the most. Arkham Asylum sits on both lists, regardless.

#35 Edited by altairre (1215 posts) -

If I had to name ten the list would be:

1. Mass Effect (not going to specify which one since I liked all of them and they would be top 3 on this list)
  2. Dragon Age Origins + Awakening
  3. Red Dead Redemption
  4. Batman: Arkham Asylum
  5. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
  6. The Walking Dead
  7. Bastion
  8. The Witcher
  9. Max Payne 3
  10. Bioshock: Infinite (I didn't really care for the original Bioshock but eventhough Infinite got its fair share of issues it still made me think about it in a way few games have)

Uncharted 3, Assassins's Creed: Brotherhood, God of War 3 and Portal 2 are pretty close behind that though.

#36 Edited by ImmortalSaiyan (4690 posts) -

@meatball: I think top 10 for a gen is not enough. It leaves out so many great games. Even top 20 is a tough list to make but you gotta have a cut off, otherwise a list has no meaning.