• 77 results
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

Edited By zanzibarbreeze

Many of you -- over 600 individuals, to be exact -- have heard the two previous recaps I've done, of The HotSpot (2005) and The HotSpot (2006), the latter a stifling eight hours long.

Now we're back, again, with the first year of 1UP Yours. 1UP Yours stars many, many famous faces we adore today. It provided solid competition to The HotSpot, and while it may not have led the pack on comedy, it was simply unstoppable if you wanted to listen to fanboy bashing and controversial opinions. And it was pretty funny too. Especially when Garnett Lee claimed that Germans would like Viva Pinata because of the game's genocidal aspect. Controversial.

Download the recap here!

Or you can visit our blog, where you can also find the RSS feed. Many of you have already subscribed to that on iTunes; with any luck you'll already have this latest episode already. Also, follow us on Twitter to get news about upcoming shows and quotes from the great people that populate these shows.

Enjoy it; next up we'll be throwing out a recap for January 2006 of The Adam Carolla Show. Then after that, the 2007 year of The HotSpot. Keep eyes and ears open. :)

The debut year of what instantly became the most hard-hitting, thoughtful, and entertaining gaming podcast. Together with host Garnett Lee, 1UP and Ziff Davis editors Luke Smith and Shane Bettenhausen and editorial director John Davison (along with pinch hitter Mark MacDonald) gathered each week to mull over the last gaming topics and new releases. Always cutting edge and always controversial, 1UP Yours remains incisive and relevant today.

Timestamps
0:03:00 - Introductions
0:07:00 - What'cha Been Playin'?
0:23:00 - Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo discussion
1:54:00 - Various issues and topics including bad quality assurance, multiplatform games, video game journalism, review scores, video games in the media, and the state of the Electronics Entertainment Exposition
4:20:00 - Random clips

Also, Re: people asking for other podcasts to be covered in similar fashion:

@wh4tshisface

said:

" @PenguinDust said: 

"Please, please, please do one of these for GFW Radio.   "

@RelentlessKnight said: 

" how about GFW?  "

@classicdms said: 

"GFW is deff something that should be on your to do list.  "

The people have spoken, good sir. "
You can look at our release calendar here. I can't promise a date, but I do intend to move onto GFW Radio and EGM Live* soon. :)
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

Many of you -- over 600 individuals, to be exact -- have heard the two previous recaps I've done, of The HotSpot (2005) and The HotSpot (2006), the latter a stifling eight hours long.

Now we're back, again, with the first year of 1UP Yours. 1UP Yours stars many, many famous faces we adore today. It provided solid competition to The HotSpot, and while it may not have led the pack on comedy, it was simply unstoppable if you wanted to listen to fanboy bashing and controversial opinions. And it was pretty funny too. Especially when Garnett Lee claimed that Germans would like Viva Pinata because of the game's genocidal aspect. Controversial.

Download the recap here!

Or you can visit our blog, where you can also find the RSS feed. Many of you have already subscribed to that on iTunes; with any luck you'll already have this latest episode already. Also, follow us on Twitter to get news about upcoming shows and quotes from the great people that populate these shows.

Enjoy it; next up we'll be throwing out a recap for January 2006 of The Adam Carolla Show. Then after that, the 2007 year of The HotSpot. Keep eyes and ears open. :)

The debut year of what instantly became the most hard-hitting, thoughtful, and entertaining gaming podcast. Together with host Garnett Lee, 1UP and Ziff Davis editors Luke Smith and Shane Bettenhausen and editorial director John Davison (along with pinch hitter Mark MacDonald) gathered each week to mull over the last gaming topics and new releases. Always cutting edge and always controversial, 1UP Yours remains incisive and relevant today.

Timestamps
0:03:00 - Introductions
0:07:00 - What'cha Been Playin'?
0:23:00 - Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo discussion
1:54:00 - Various issues and topics including bad quality assurance, multiplatform games, video game journalism, review scores, video games in the media, and the state of the Electronics Entertainment Exposition
4:20:00 - Random clips

Also, Re: people asking for other podcasts to be covered in similar fashion:

@wh4tshisface

said:

" @PenguinDust said: 

"Please, please, please do one of these for GFW Radio.   "

@RelentlessKnight said: 

" how about GFW?  "

@classicdms said: 

"GFW is deff something that should be on your to do list.  "

The people have spoken, good sir. "
You can look at our release calendar here. I can't promise a date, but I do intend to move onto GFW Radio and EGM Live* soon. :)
DonutFever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 35

#2  Edited By DonutFever

Great, 1UP Yours was my first podcast.

Avatar image for bjorntheunicorn
BjornTheUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By BjornTheUnicorn

Oddly enough I never really listened to the audio podcasts 1Up had to offer. I was a big fan of the 1Up Show and have been rewatching some of the episodes for nostalgia's sake recently.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By CptBedlam

Thanks. I was just in need of a podcast and only having heard the talk about 1upyours, I'll give this a listen.

Hampe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Hampe

This is amazing. It was a time since the 1up Yours podcast ended, probably one of my favorite podcasts of all time. This will come in handy. Awesome work duder! <3

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Skytylz

1up Yours were good times, Listen Up wasn't quite as good but Weekend Confirmed isn't even on the same level as 1up Yours.  What HAPPENED GARNETT!!!

Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Djeffers03

4 Hours?! WOW!

guthwulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By guthwulf

The only 1UP podcast I really liked was Retronauts, but I can definitely appreciate the effort you're putting into these things.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By JJWeatherman

Screw Adam Corolla! I want that next (last?) Hotspot! I'll listen to this though in the meantime.

classicdms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By classicdms

Major Props to you good sir. This will help with many a work day.

the_korben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By the_korben

Sounds awesome, thanks. This instantly turned a potentially productive evening into a pure nostalgia fest.  

One more thing though: Holy crap!!!! I can't believe that this was already 5 YEARS ago. 5 YEARS! Time flies, man.... and I'm getting old :(

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By penguindust

You caught my attention with this.  1UP Yours was my favorite podcast for years and Weekend Confirmed is my current fav (yes slightly edging out the Bombcast).  I'll definitely be listening to this. 

Please, please, please do one of these for GFW Radio.  

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#13  Edited By Little_Socrates

I'm still making my way through Hot Spot 2006 (only 1:39:00 in so far!) but I'll download it and hold onto it for now.

Avatar image for countinhallways
countinhallways

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By countinhallways

Thanks for all your hard work man. I have been really enjoying all the This Year stuff so far.

Avatar image for relentlessknight
RelentlessKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#15  Edited By RelentlessKnight

how about GFW? 

Surkov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Surkov

I can't listen to 1up yours without getting depressed. I miss the old 1up so much. 

classicdms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By classicdms
@RelentlessKnight said:
" how about GFW?  "
GFW is deff something that should be on your to do list. 
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#18  Edited By Claude

I wasn't a big podcast fan, but I loved the 1Up Show. Kathleen Sanders and her dog always caught my attention.

No Caption Provided
zameer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19  Edited By zameer

I love you, these recaps are very much appreciated!

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@PenguinDust said:
" Please, please, please do one of these for GFW Radio. "
@RelentlessKnight said:
" how about GFW? "
@classicdms said:
" GFW is deff something that should be on your to do list. "
I actually have like a calender thing with all these podcasts plotted out on it. Right now the plan is The HotSpot -> 1UP Yours -> EGM Live* -> CGW/GFW Radio -> Retronauts. I'll stick the Giant Bombcast somewhere in there too.

@JJWeatherman said:
" Screw Adam Corolla! I want that next (last?) Hotspot! I'll listen to this though in the meantime. "

I trade days between those and gaming podcasts, so The HotSpot will be out soon. :D
Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Discorsi

Wow, props to you sir. Loving the collections so far :D

k9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By k9

So how much time does it take for you to do these recaps? And why did you decide to carry on this endeavor in the first place?

MjHealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 15

#23  Edited By MjHealy

I have always been meaning to listen to this, forgot the podcast name for a while. I enjoy listening to old HotSpot episode so I think this should be pretty decent. I actually will just subscribe on iTunes and will get the full business.

EDIT: 
@ZanzibarBreeze: How do you actually subscribe to this podcast? Is there a RSS link somewhere? It's been taken off iTunes.
zameer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By zameer

Btw, am I the only one who's not getting the second part of The HotSpot 2006 on his iTunes feed?  

It's obviously no biggie because I can always resort to direct downloads but just wondering..

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By Gabriel
@Skytylz said:
" 1up Yours were good times, Listen Up wasn't quite as good but Weekend Confirmed isn't even on the same level as 1up Yours.  What HAPPENED GARNETT!!! "
The co-hosts are not good at all. They don't seem to have very good chemistry. 
Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By Slaker117

I had never really bothered with podcast before the Bombcast so naturally I never listened to 1UP Yours. I have seen a lot of people remembering it fondly, calling it the height of video game podcasts, and after really enjoying the Hotspot recaps, I figured I'd give this a shot. I'm about an hour and a half in and I just don't get it. It all sounds like fanboy bickering. Everyone is either being super defensive or bashing things they don't understand. Every Luke Smith who I knew and loved from his PR work at Bungie is annoying to listen to here.

Maybe it's just hearing to it now, knowing the fates of everything they are discussing, that makes them all sound foolish. Yet I didn't have that issue with the Hotspot. To me these guys just seem like jerks.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By crusader8463

Fuck I hate you so much OP. I started listening to it and the moment that twangy intro music played it made a tear roll down my face. So many good memories. So much sadness knowing it will never be again.

classicdms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By classicdms

I'm listening now, and at around 56 minutes into this one, John argues that Sony can't market that this thing does everything and not just sell it on what it's good at. I find it hilarious that Sony's most successful ad campaign since this podcast probably aired has been their "It only does everything" campaign. 

Demon_Sandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Demon_Sandwich

holy crap dude. this is my first one of these i saw and well thanks. you get a thumbs up from me.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#30  Edited By Trilogy

Thanks for doing these, really digging them.

allprox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#31  Edited By allprox

Nice job man. Listened to both of your Hotspot recaps and really enjoyed them. And even though I've never heard a 1up podcast before, I'm gonna listen to this recap anyway because I hear nothing but good things about those guys. I'm looking forward to your 07 hotspot recap and the potential wonders you may get up to with the Bombcast at some point. Keep on keepin' on dude.

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@K9 said:
" So how much time does it take for you to do these recaps? And why did you decide to carry on this endeavor in the first place? "
I've got a long commute and I listen to the old shows during that. It takes me about half a month to a month to finish a whole year's worth of shows, assuming it's a weekly podcast. I started doing this because I wanted to get the best parts of each podcast for myself so I didn't have to slug through each episode to get to my favorite parts. And then I realized that other people would, in all probability, like to listen to such a project as well, so that gives me greater incentive to do this and I'm happy that others can get as much pleasure out of it as I do.

@MjHealy said:
" @ZanzibarBreeze: How do you actually subscribe to this podcast? Is there a RSS link somewhere? It's been taken off iTunes. "
I don't know about it being taken off iTunes, but you can subscribe through iTunes easily by dropping the RSS feed in there as you say. :)

@zameer said:
" Btw, am I the only one who's not getting the second part of The HotSpot 2006 on his iTunes feed?   It's obviously no biggie because I can always resort to direct downloads but just wondering.. "
Yep, that was a mistake on my part. I should have split the two parts into two posts but I doubled up instead. Unfortunately you'll have to download it manually, but that mistake won't be repeated again. Sorry about that.

And thank you for all the positive feedback and support from everybody as well. :)
Demon_Sandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Demon_Sandwich

Its was fuuny to here you guys talk about how wrong some people are but please remember hindsight is 20/20

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By GreggD
@RelentlessKnight said:
" how about GFW?  "
proflate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By proflate

"hey third place" 

oh how hilarious it is looking back.

Genjai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Genjai

I'll probably listen to this later, but man, what a herculean effort. congrats on your production.

ezdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#38  Edited By ezdude

umm... wow this is pretty amazing. Not just this but the whole project itself, this is the first time I've heard about it. I'll definitely start following this craziness from now on

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#39  Edited By recroulette

1up Yours was THE reason I wanted to write about games, if it wasn't for 1up Yours, I wouldn't be here right now. I'd have gotten on that whole "go into business" thing my parents wanted me to do.

Been waiting for this, thank you very much!

Cramsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Cramsy

I love you.

audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By audiosnag
@PenguinDust said:
" You caught my attention with this.  1UP Yours was my favorite podcast for years and Weekend Confirmed is my current fav (yes slightly edging out the Bombcast).  I'll definitely be listening to this.  Please, please, please do one of these for GFW Radio.   "
Brian leaving made me a sad panda.

This is awesome work thanks dude.
sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#42  Edited By sameeeeam

Thank you for doing this.

X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By X19

I listened to all the Hotspot podcasts during last summer at work to catch up on what I was missing. 1up is completely new to me so thank you for making this I look forward to listening to it :)

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#44  Edited By wrighteous86

Ugh, this used to be my favorite podcast, but listening to this reminds me how I can't stand Garnett Lee.  Luke, John, and Shane were legendary, though.

Zapbrader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Zapbrader

I'm really glad Garnett Lee is still trying. Weekend Confirmed isn't all that bad, but Brian Leahy quitting is hurting it. The guy replacing him is who I would call the guy in the corner cubicle they grabbed for the podcast because someone called in sick.

shadyspace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By shadyspace

Listening to this, I have no idea how Garnett Lee has a job in the games journalism business. I had better foresight at 14 about the industry than he did when he was hosting the premiere video game podcast.

Empty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Empty

Thanks for putting this together man, it must have been hard work. 2006, especially towards the end, was a great year for the show, and the Luke, Shane back and forths were classic, looking forward to revisiting that group dynamic.

nickux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#48  Edited By nickux
@ZanzibarBreeze: Thanks so much for doing these. I never heard the Hotspot back in the day and really enjoyed the retrospective. 1UP Yours was a show I loved from the start, can't wait to relive the highlights.
ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ravensword

It was super funny going back and listening to their predictions on how the console race would turn out this gen: everyone assumed Wii would be dead on arrival, Shane assumed that people would flock to PS3 regardless of the 600 dollar price tag, some also thought that bluray wouldnt win out in the HD format war. Overal, it was a great trip down memory lane.  

But it also made me realize that I really want new consoles soon. I love that excitement of knowing new and better things are around the corner, and honestly I could go with a refresh of the consoles. 360 is really starting to hit a graphical progression wall with their exclusives, Ps3, while it does have the best looking games this gen as exclusives, messed up royaly on the multiplatform front, and Wii is the Wii. Im a SONY fan and want to see them do great again, and im hoping next gen they get it right like they did for PS2. and listening to the old stuff of doom and gloom honestly depressed me.
ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ravensword

Is this on Itunes? I would love to have this in my podcasts section so when I stop and go to something else I can come back to it and it begins where i left off like downlaoded podcasts through ITUNES do.