• 77 results
louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By louiedog
Thank you so much for doing these. I somehow missed the posts about your Hotspot compilations when you did them. I was never a listener but recently have been thinking about going back and listening to them from that era. However, the time commitment seemed a little daunting. What you've done is perfect for me, and I'm looking forward to 1up and your future works as well. Great success!

@Raven_Sword said:
" Is this on Itunes? I would love to have this in my podcasts section so when I stop and go to something else I can come back to it and it begins where i left off like downlaoded podcasts through ITUNES do. "
Feed iTunes the RSS link from the first post.
ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By ravensword
@louiedog: 

How the hell do I do that?
ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By ravensword
@Zapbrader:

i didnt like Leahy. He seemed like a 360/PC elitist.  

Also, I will say this, people calling Bettenhausen a SONY fanboy might as well call Luke Smith a Microsoft fanboy.
Portis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Portis

Thank good sir. Thank you.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#55  Edited By Slaker117
@shadyspace said:

" Listening to this, I have no idea how Garnett Lee has a job in the games journalism business. I had better foresight at 14 about the industry than he did when he was hosting the premiere video game podcast. "

Seeing how much love 1UP Yours and Weekend Confirmed get, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that. Garnett seems like a good guy, but I've been trying to like WC for a few months now and can't help feeling that he has no idea what he's talking about. After listening to this, I just don't understand what it is people like about him. I don't want to sound like I'm personally attacking him, but I don't think he's very good at what he does.

Leahy seemed like he was the most articulate and reasoned voice on Weekend Confirmed, though I only starting listening a few weeks before he left. I'm not sure why I continue to.
ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By ravensword
@Slaker117:

I think you can find problems with any podcast you listen to, really. You said you liked leahy, but I thought he was a bit of a PC elitist. I listen to Rebel FM and I think Arthur is a know it all that dosent know what hes talking about alot of times, I listen to Podcast Beyond and I think Greg Miller is a bit too out of control sometimes, I listen to Talk radar UK and I find it hard to understand some stuff they say, but thats due to the accents, I listen to even the Giantbombcast and I think they agree with each others opinons too much and far too easy. examples of this were Demon Souls and BlazBlue, Ryan is quoted as saying that Jeffs opinon on Blaz Blue and that its not good is the "Right opinon".  

Really, you can find fault with any podcast you like and listen to.
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#57  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@Raven_Sword said:

" Is this on Itunes? I would love to have this in my podcasts section so when I stop and go to something else I can come back to it and it begins where i left off like downlaoded podcasts through ITUNES do. "

@louiedog said:

" Feed iTunes the RSS link from the first post. "

@Raven_Sword said:

" @louiedog:   How the hell do I do that? "

I think you can literally drag and drop the RSS feed into iTunes and it'll figure out what to do with it.

I'm trying to get the podcast on the iTunes store now. We're getting well over a thousand unique downloads per episode, so it shouldn't be too hard a task. It can take them a few weeks to accept a podcast though, or at least that's what they say.
ColinWright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#58  Edited By ColinWright
@PenguinDust said: 

"Please, please, please do one of these for GFW Radio.   "

@RelentlessKnight said: 

" how about GFW?  "

@classicdms said: 

"GFW is deff something that should be on your to do list.  "

The people have spoken, good sir.
Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Devil240Z
@ZanzibarBreeze: Im listening to it right now! Shane Tweeted it. Thats how I found it. 
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#60  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@wh4tshisface said:
" @PenguinDust said: 

"Please, please, please do one of these for GFW Radio.   "

@RelentlessKnight said: 

" how about GFW?  "

@classicdms said: 

"GFW is deff something that should be on your to do list.  "

The people have spoken, good sir. "
You can look at our release calendar here. I can't promise a date, but I do intend to move onto GFW Radio and EGM Live* soon. :)
wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#61  Edited By wrighteous86
@Raven_Sword said:
" @louiedog:   How the hell do I do that? "
I never really understood the whole RSS thing either.  I just recently learned for the NinteDownload Xpress! (before it was on iTunes).  Click the "RSS Feed" link in the OP, and copy the URL. Open up iTunes and click "Advanced" and then "Subcribe to Podcast".  It will ask for an URL, so just paste it, and it will show up in your Podcast list, and update accordingly.
Avatar image for favoritobandito
FavoritoBandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By FavoritoBandito
@RelentlessKnight said:
" how about GFW?  "
angelfan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#63  Edited By angelfan91
@ZanzibarBreeze:
Damn, thak you very much.  I didn't start listening to 1UP Yours until 2008 so this is really cool. 
Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Slaker117
@Raven_Sword:  Of course, nothing is perfect. But Lee seems borderline incompetent to me. I don't understand his appeal at all.
ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By ravensword
@Slaker117: 

His main appeal to me is that he just sounds like a super friendly dude. Maybe thats it.
brewster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#66  Edited By brewster

Fantastic work here!!! Cheers OP!!!

Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#67  Edited By Quacktastic

I used to like this a lot for laughing at Luke and Shane, but listening to some of this today - I never realized how smart John was.  He's right constantly everyone else was so wrong about everything.

Monk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Monk

Getting a lot of tweets about this from (ex)-1up guys. Congrats on getting their attention.  

Great wish is for the GFW podcasts to get similar treatment.

AngriGhandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By AngriGhandi

The reason to like Garnett Lee is earnestness. 
Not a lot of podcast guests - much less podcast hosts - are willing to go out on a limb and risk looking foolish to talk about games in more theoretical or idealistic terms. But boy, he is. And he does. 
And when so much of video game discussion tends toward reactionary flame-bait (the fans) or bitter, ironic detachment (the press), it's nice to listen to someone who both has opinions, and is willing to defend them. It's interesting, in a way a hundred HUD- and dick-jokes sometimes aren't. 
Even when he happens to be totally, totally wrong about everything.

e: whoops, left my browser open over dinner and inadvertently bumped this thread~

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#70  Edited By turboman

ah... the golden years.... I'll listen to this tonight

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Andorski

All I can say is... Man God.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Andorski
@Slaker117 said:

" @shadyspace said:

" Listening to this, I have no idea how Garnett Lee has a job in the games journalism business. I had better foresight at 14 about the industry than he did when he was hosting the premiere video game podcast. "

Seeing how much love 1UP Yours and Weekend Confirmed get, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that. Garnett seems like a good guy, but I've been trying to like WC for a few months now and can't help feeling that he has no idea what he's talking about. After listening to this, I just don't understand what it is people like about him. I don't want to sound like I'm personally attacking him, but I don't think he's very good at what he does.  Leahy seemed like he was the most articulate and reasoned voice on Weekend Confirmed, though I only starting listening a few weeks before he left. I'm not sure why I continue to. "
Judging from 1up Yours and Weekend Confirmed, I think Garnett's secret for making good podcasts is getting the right people to do it with him.  What made 1up Yours (and the old 1up.com in general) great was that it seemed like everyone had a different opinion on the same topic.  IGN, Gamespot, and even Giant Bomb have groups of editors that share the same general perspective.  Understandably so -- it's hard not to get in the same mindset as the people you consistently hang out with.  1up on the other hand always had (at least) 2 sides making different arguments.  Having three different editors write 3 short reviews for the same game on EGM perpetuated the still perplexing idea (to many; mostly fanboys) that with every game, there are people who love it, hate it, or don't really care about it. 

As for 1up Yours in particular, the best episodes were always the ones where Luke Smith/Ryan McDonald would fight with Shane Bettenhausen in what would generally be 360 vs. PS3 debates.  Garnett knew which topics to get these guys riled over.  Weekend Confirmed did pretty much the same thing with Brian Leahy's jaded, hardcore gaming tastes to Jeff Cannata's "I love loving things" personality. 

Garnett's gleeful childhood imagination coupled with his duty as host to always pick another side of an argument just to keep the topic going made most of his predictions wrong.  At the very least though, his ideas on how things play out in the gaming industry act as a catalyst for his guests to join in the conversation. 

... and everyone thought the Wii was going to fail.
Radar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Radar

This is amazing. Good work.  Just got done listening to the entire 4 hours and 40 minutes of this. So nostalgic when listening to them talk about the next-gen before Wii/360/PS3 were released.

crimsonclown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#75  Edited By crimsonclown

About half way through now, brings back a lot of memories.  

Thanks for taking the time to make this, must've taken a while! 

Avatar image for getbentthevideogame
GetBentTheVideoGame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

1UY took my p-card. Should be good.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By NegativeCero

As someone who didn't even visit game websites in 2006, I appreciate the quick recaps. Though I happened to have gone back and listened to the first years of both 1UP Yours and GFW Radio. 

doe3879

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By doe3879

Nostalgia of GFWraido came up and I wanted to go and re listen to the older podcast again. 
I came across another compilation of the podcast here  http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=8699945  
and I just love it, listen to it all in one shot and crave for more.  Google podcast compilation and this shows up : ) 

Loving it as well. 
Keep it up